Previous in Forum: Chrome Faster Than IE or FF?   Next in Forum: Compact Controller Replacement
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

Windows 10

08/06/2015 8:39 PM

I just switched over to Windows 10. The biggest mistake I ever made. (Okay, maybe not the biggest but a bad one all the same). I am informed that I can switch back to my original software but not being very conversant with computers I have no idea on how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Why go back? I am getting too old to want to learn a new system that does not have the features I want. Thanks

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: removing Windows 10
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

Re: Windows 10

08/06/2015 8:45 PM

Good Answers: 1662

08/06/2015 9:27 PM

What OS did you have before?

You do know that W910 steals ALL your personal information, emails, all communications and virtually everything on your PC. Without your permission. You are automatically opted-in for this theft. You must spend lots of valuable time and effort to opt-out of this travesty.

And all downloads are automatic with no way for you to stop them.

And the terms of service can be changed AT ANY TIME by Bill's gang of thieves, without your permission.

Tell me what you don't like about it. I can imagine if you went from XP or W7.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1727
In reply to #2

08/06/2015 10:39 PM

What's not to love?

It's all about the tiles...it starting to look more and more like the McDonald's cash register....

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-tip-swap-between-start-menu-and-start-screen

In reply to #3

08/06/2015 10:45 PM

Plenty.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 4

08/07/2015 5:39 AM

Well there is this to start with

WHAT THEY DID NOT TELL YOU ABOUT WINDOWS 10
We also obtain data from third parties (including other companies). For example, we supplement the data we collect by purchasing demographic data from other companies. We also use services from other companies to help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize certain services to your location.

The data we collect depends on the services and features you use, and includes the following.

Name and contact data. We collect your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, and other similar contact data.

Credentials. We collect passwords, password hints, and similar security information used for authentication and account access.

Demographic data. We collect data about you such as your age, gender, country and preferred language.

Interests and favourites. We collect data about your interests and favourites, such as the teams you follow in a sports app, the stocks you track in a finance app, or the favourite cities you add to a weather app. In addition to those you explicitly provide, your interests and favourites may also be inferred or derived from other data we collect.

Payment data. We collect data necessary to process your payment if you make purchases, such as your payment instrument number (such as a credit card number), and the security code associated with your payment instrument.

Usage data. We collect data about how you interact with our services. This includes data, such as the features you use, the items you purchase, the web pages you visit, and the search terms you enter. This also includes data about your device, including IP address, device identifiers, regional and language settings, and data about the network, operating system, browser or other software you use to connect to the services. And it also includes data about the performance of the services and any problems you experience with them.

Contacts and relationships. We collect data about your contacts and relationships if you use a Microsoft service to manage contacts, or to communicate or interact with other people or organizations.

Location data. We collect data about your location, which can be either precise or imprecise. Precise location data can be Global Position System (GPS) data, as well as data identifying nearby cell towers and Wi-Fi hotspots, we collect when you enable location-based services or features. Imprecise location data includes, for example, a location derived from your IP address or data that indicates where you are located with less precision, such as at a city or postal code level.

Content. We collect content of your files and communications when necessary to provide you with the services you use. This includes: the content of your documents, photos, music or video you upload to a Microsoft service such as OneDrive. It also includes the content of your communications sent or received using Microsoft services, such as the:
•subject line and body of an email,
•text or other content of an instant message,
•audio and video recording of a video message, and
•audio recording and transcript of a voice message you receive or a text message you dictate.

Additionally, when you contact us, such as for customer support, phone conversations or chat sessions with our representatives may be monitored and recorded. If you enter our retail stores, your image may be captured by our security cameras.

You have choices about the data we collect. When you are asked to provide personal data, you may decline. But if you choose not to provide data that is necessary to provide a service, you may not be able to use some features or services.

Service-specific sections below describe additional data collection practices applicable to use of those services.

This and much more BEWARE

Guru

In reply to #5

08/07/2015 2:01 PM

It's the civilian equivalent to the NSA.

EXCEPT they have even less oversight placed on them.

In other words, they are free to steal and sell ALL your personal information, including bank transactions and credit card information.

Never gonna happen to me. They can shove W 10 up their collective a$$e$!

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 64

08/07/2015 12:10 PM

Dear Prof.peanut

Windowsn10 contains many good features. Any new item will have some teething trouble/difficulties. I too faced more than 20 problems, with the aid of our EDP Staff, it is sorted out and working well.

When we down-loaded, there was a pop-up screen, there was a note - "MANY OF YOUR SETTINGS WILL GET DISTURBED and YOU HAVE TO RESTORE THE SAME"

You have mentioned "but not being very conversant with computers I have no idea on how to go about that"

You have not mentioned whether you are in service - if so you can take the help of your EDP Staff. I would suggest - keep trying and pl. post the problems here and this CR4 Forum Members will definitely post their suggestions.

DHAYANANDHAN.S

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416

08/07/2015 1:39 PM

I've never used Linux on a home PC but I think that day is fast approaching.

Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #7

08/07/2015 4:45 PM

I have, and it's been several years. It was easy to adjust to the differences. That was then; this is now. The Linux packages now are just as good if not better. Slight learning curve.

I am going to have 3 bootable (solid state) drives: a Win 7 Ultimate drive, a Win 10 drive, and a Linux drive - CAELinux-a (free) engineering oriented package. I'll have to load OpenOffice and a few other open-source programs, but then I'll have most everything I need.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #7

08/10/2015 7:18 AM

You should give it a go. Linux has come a long way, since the terminal. While the terminal interface is still the most powerful way to use Linux, the GUIs have advanced by leaps and bounds. Many Distros, LXDE and Mint particularly, have become very windows like in their interface. The transition is nowhere as much of a culture shock as it used to be. Best of all, those two distros (and many more) are free to download and you don't have to install them, to try them out.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #7

08/10/2015 9:39 AM

With the newer versions, such as Linux Mint (My personal fave, a fork off of Ubuntu Linux, that kept the desktop metaphor when Ubuntu went to 'smartphone' style interface), installation is as easy as sticking in a disk and clicking on the 'yes I want to install' button.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #7

08/10/2015 9:41 AM

Join the Penguin Horde, it's fun.

Plus we don't make any 'chicken' jokes. well, not many. ;)

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

08/08/2015 1:17 AM

This is a general thank you to all those who came to my help. I used the address that Solar Eagle passed on and everything went well. A definite thank you there. The other answers just helped confirm that I did not want the W 10 cash register type set up. So thank you all. The switch back process by the way was very easy to follow which is good for people like me who have no one close to help them. Thank you all.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 152

08/08/2015 5:01 AM

I regularly sign confidentiality agreements with my clients. Were I to upload Windows 10 I would be in breach of those agreements and liable to be sued by my clients. Most engineers and commercial companies what deal with new technology, novel processes or chemical, pharmaceutical and food ingredients formulations are in the same position. If you or your company have ever signed or are likely in the future to sign confidentiality clauses you CANNOT use Windows 10. This also applies to accountants, lawyers and doctors who have a statuary duty of confidentiality. Microsoft has shot itself in the foot. It has launched a product that is unusable to a large sector of their market.

If you are already using Windows 10 and find yourself in breach of a prior agreement, write (registered delivery) to Microsoft and point out that they have taken on a duty of care and liabilities equivalent to your own. They cannot sell, disclose, or use any data that would breach confidentiality and must hold that data securely i.e. On a separate secure server, accessed only by named persons on a restricted list to which you have access. Suggest that as an alternative all such data be deleted from their databases and that they provide you with proof that this action has been completed.

If you are using Windows 10 and have contracts with government or military that should not be disclosed to the public, contact your customer and point out that confidential data has been inadvertently released. Give "Big Brother" a legitimate excuse to raid Microsoft's servers looking for information held contrary to the interests of state security. Th publicity and disruption that this could cause will persuade Microsoft to rethink it's Windows 10 terms, if it does not bankrupt them first.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 27

08/10/2015 6:28 PM

Wanna know a bigger mistake? Like on the order of the opening scene in the film "Twilight Zone"

After reading up on Mint Rafaela, I decided to take the plunge. Did the downloads and the backups. I was certain I had configured it to dual boot, but I was wrong. For the past two days I've been trying to get rid of it. With no success. The real issue, which I never fathomed was 3rd party software. Linux doesn't like it. I like Corel, no go. I made a spreadsheet with my passwords, guess what format? Calibre for my Kindle, nope. I went out and bought another desktop, if I can't get this one working I'll open it up. I'll just buy a new HD for this unit,

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

08/11/2015 2:22 AM

Whatever has happened to the fact that science can improve on a great multitude of things? There is a certain way that WIN7 works - we learned that. There are changes beyond those, mostly made in WIN7/8.1.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (2); Brave Sir Robin (1); dhayanandhan (1); IanR (1); jhhassociates (1); JWthetech (1); lyn (3); merc600sec (1); Mikerho (2); prof peanut (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Chrome Faster Than IE or FF?   Next in Forum: Compact Controller Replacement

Advertisement