Previous in Forum: A Spectrometer for Your Cell Phone   Next in Forum: Pesky "Overvoltage" Warnings in Servo Drive
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

Smart Phone Apps Wanted!

11/13/2015 12:27 PM

I've been using a Function Generator application on my phone that has saved me from going out and buying the same. Granted, I am limited to the human audible range (well above my hearing level), but it is just another example of how applications have done so much damage to the market for actual hardware.

I'd like to have an application (maybe for the tricorder?) that alerts me when I've been offered a bunch of crap instead of answers. Lies ought to be most painful to the lier! Perhaps we'd call it the con artist detector. It would be very popular!

A credibility checker might also be a good application. Might include a background search on the person one is talking to.

How about some explosives inside the phone just for those who want to go out with a bang! Perhaps with a trigger tied to the arming button? Could be interesting!

Maybe we will be able to download a smell or taste one day! Wouldn't that be cool!

What kind of apps would you like to see?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: Smart Phone apps wanted!

11/13/2015 1:28 PM

I'd like an app to ZAP certain obnoxious trolls.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781
In reply to #1

11/13/2015 6:02 PM

Your wish has at least partly been realized.

In reply to #8

11/13/2015 11:07 PM

Perhaps.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #1

11/14/2015 2:54 AM

How about we call it "Lego La Zit Zapper" ??

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1038

11/13/2015 2:40 PM

I'd like an app that would identify birds by listening to their calls, similar to the apps that recognize songs playing on the radio.

I understand there are people working on that. One of the problems is that birds, even more than people, have regional accents.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #2

11/13/2015 3:02 PM

Check out the work being done at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Macaulay Library. I don't think they've got the app you want -- yet -- but someone's probably working on it.

If you look up a bird on the Cornell site, you can usually find a selection of bird song samples. The samples are often collected in different areas, so you can compare bird "dialects." Fascinating stuff.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

11/13/2015 3:14 PM

If I'm close enough and lucky enough to get a recording, it's good. If I'm going by memory, by the time I listen to a few samples trying to recognize what I heard, my memory of what I heard gets lost!

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

In reply to #4

11/13/2015 3:25 PM

Oh yes, I know the feeling! I love listening to the monthly "bird" day on our local NPR station. Some people do a great job mimicking bird calls. Then there are the rest of us ... I think people with a lot of musical ability probably do well in this kind of pursuit.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

11/13/2015 3:31 PM

We have Goldfinch feeders in our front yard Orange tree. The cacophony of bird calls that we hear every day is entertaining. I'm not sure how many types of birds there are, but they play a veritable symphony for us every day.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

11/13/2015 3:52 PM

I'm envious of your feeder! Mr. Best in Show and I live out in the sticks, with a bear family for neighbors up the hill behind the house. We can't put our feeders out until early December, and we bring them in by April 1, sooner if it's warm. If we don't take precautions, Ursa pays nocturnal visits when s/he's awake.

I've learned over time to recognize (some) bird calls that indicate danger, e.g. a red-tailed hawk in the vicinity. Crow calls are particularly fascinating -- they're quite expressive.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 424
In reply to #7

11/13/2015 7:38 PM

My parents who used to live in Hancock, NH had similar problems. They way they handled that was to have their bird feeder on a removable pole and put it in the garage each night during 'bear season'. The other thing they did was put a feeder on a 'high' clothes line out of reach of the bears. This is the kind of clothes line with pulleys at each end so you could reel it in and out.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

11/13/2015 8:42 PM

No bears in my back yard (that I've seen). The deer come by quite regularly and happily coexist with the birds. In fact, they appreciate the seed that gets spilled on the ground.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

11/13/2015 9:57 PM

Grew up in rural Ark. Crows are really smart.

We go back to the farm every summer, where a murder of crows nests on the mountain behind the house. The interchange every morning before they fly down to the fields (over the house) below is amazing.

Whippoorwills and lightning bugs are other treats we don't have in AZ.

Oops, maybe there's an app for this.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202
In reply to #7

11/13/2015 10:58 PM

I would like an app that would give me the density of lighting bugs around me. It could also tell me the range of their sizes in the area. Some areas have huge lightning bugs, other areas have small ones and there are a lot in-between.

An extra sensitive microphone and an automatic translator would be nice to hear what they are saying to each other. It would be interesting to hear what they are saying to us when we catch them in our hands or an old glass jar (peanut butter type works best).

It would be interesting to hear such intelligent insects since they are so bright (pun intended).

Good Luck, Old Salt

Good Answers: 1736
In reply to #12

11/14/2015 3:34 PM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (3); Brave Sir Robin (1); dj95401 (1); lyn (4); old salt (1); Rixter (3); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: A Spectrometer for Your Cell Phone   Next in Forum: Pesky "Overvoltage" Warnings in Servo Drive

Advertisement