Previous in Forum: Is it Better To Do Mechanical With Specialization In Automation Engineering?   Next in Forum: Turbine Trip On Low Control Oil Pressure
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Participant

Possible to Design a Mini Printing Device Like This -- Mechanical-Wise?

09/02/2016 6:19 PM

I'm in education for Intelligent Systems, and thought this might be an interesting project.

I had this idea about a small handheld, wireless printer. Say you're taking notes in a conference on your computer and want some of them in your notebook. So you transfer some of the text to a small handheld printer which fits in your pocket. Then you swipe it across the paper at a steady phase, and it writes the text. The device has a rotary actuator with a small mechanical arm, which moves back and forth, attached to a small pencil of some sort. That way I might program it to write text. And with two small sensors at each side of the device, I might be able to calculate the distance from each side, and the rotation it has on the surface. This will come in handy as the device could correct itself from small unintended movements.

The question is if it would be possible to get manufactured mechanical parts which is small enough for such a device, while strong enough to write at a resonable speed.

I started to make a 3D CAD model of it, but stopped when I realized that I didn't know enough about mechanical engineering to find 3D samples, or even the right names of the required parts. So I wanted to research if it even would be possible to make this, until I reached out to this forum.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

Re: Possible to design a mini printing device like this -- mechanical-wise?

09/02/2016 6:44 PM

Why not just send it to your printer....or E-mail it to yourself...or take a picture....or do a screen capture...they do have magic wand scanners and small portable wireless bluetooth receipt printers...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+printers+small+portable&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awireless+printers+small+portable

In reply to #1

09/02/2016 7:14 PM

Did you not read what I wrote? Did I say I needed a printer? I thought people on this forum was supposed to be a bit more professional.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

Good Answers: 1728
In reply to #2

09/02/2016 8:00 PM

So did I, but I seem to stumble on a smartass every now and then, who doesn't have a clue....

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #5

09/03/2016 5:40 PM

You occasionally stumble across one now and then? Yo umust be a fleet of foot as a world class ballerina or olympic figure skater!

I'm tripping over them everywhere I go all day every day.

Cripes they're even in my mirrors too.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #2

09/03/2016 10:32 AM

What you wrote is completely unintelligible.

un·in·tel·li·gi·ble ˌənənˈteləjəb(ə)l/ adjective

1. impossible to understand. "dolphin sounds are unintelligible to humans"
Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #2

09/04/2016 2:23 PM

You don't need a printer at all. You need a pencil or ball-point pen. Instant result and far cheaper.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #14

09/06/2016 5:31 PM

And with carbon or NCR paper you can make multiple copies with little added energy! - JHF

Good Answers: 102

09/02/2016 7:55 PM

Something like that could be done. However, the trend is definitely toward paperless and away from printed paper.

My experience: About a year ago I started working as a contract project engineer at a factory where I worked from 1995 through 2001. Same plant, same job, 2 different owners, both Fortune 500. When I was there the first time, most everything was paper - drawings, proposals, contract work descriptions, quotes, purchase orders, etc. My mail folder was filled with this and approval documents each day.

Now, about the only paper is construction drawings. All that other stuff is handled electronically. Each month, I get an e-mail from IT stating my printer usage, B&W, color, 1 or 2-sided, and comparing it to my 'peer group.' Color and 1-sided are discouraged and the printer defaults are 2-sided, B&W (over-rides the saved document settings). I print, on average, 2 to 3 pages per day. And, I have not received one piece of paper mail in my mail folder - in over a year! (I have had maybe a half-dozen pieces hand-delivered.)

If I were following your trail, I think I'd abandon the 'pocket size' and go with something closer to this (that's a Neat portable scanner):

Replace the scan head with a print head and you're good to go. (That print head might be your biggest challenge.) If you're going to be carrying a notebook anyway, you might as well incorporate the printer into it. You could include loops to attach it with the notebook rings, or make a notebook with the printer built-in. Either way, a blank sheet of paper could be fed manually.

There might be a niche market, but you are definitely swimming upstream on this one.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

09/02/2016 7:58 PM

This is a great idea!

I suggest that you contact Rube Goldberg. Just search the internet for his company.

He will help you.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

09/02/2016 8:22 PM

See the movie "Allegro Non Troppo"

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

09/03/2016 12:22 AM

I think it's hands-down the rat!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 410

Re: Possible to Design a Mini Printing Device Like This -- Mechanical-Wise?

09/03/2016 11:06 AM

What you ask for does sound like your complicating it more than it should....

but what you ask,sounds like what they use to call PDA's. But now with the apps available, you can take notes on your tablet and do it.

I have to ask this question, did you check to see what's already out there? If you did, can you refine your intent more.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1033

09/03/2016 1:07 PM

Is this what you're looking for?

Amazon's got everything.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: Center of the Known Industrial Universe - TUGGERAH 2259 - Australia
Good Answers: 52
In reply to #10

09/03/2016 11:44 PM

Amazon's got everything.
Portable printing in an environment that's headed in a paperless direction? That just BEGS for a RS232-C shredder. You don't have to print the info to paper and then mechanically shred it. Save paper, save ink, save time, save wear-and-tear on the printer. Shred the data prior to printing, with the RS232-C shredder.
Save disposal costs. Avoid polluting the environment with the decomposition products of ink.

How come I couldn't find one on Amazon? This is a golden companion business opportunity for the OP to pursue.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1033
In reply to #13

09/04/2016 4:51 PM

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69

09/03/2016 6:51 PM

Hand held printers with about 2,600,000 results in 0.40 seconds. Next .....

To hell with the patents go for it, buy one and try reverse engineering it like China everyday.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bigg (1); Circuit Breaker (1); dj95401 (1); lyn (2); Mikerho (1); phoenix911 (1); phph001 (1); ratorme (1); Relativity PL (1); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (2); tcmtech (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Is it Better To Do Mechanical With Specialization In Automation Engineering?   Next in Forum: Turbine Trip On Low Control Oil Pressure

Advertisement