Previous in Forum: Can Anyone Answer My Hypothetical Question About Filters?   Next in Forum: Your Experiences of PD On-site Measurement for MV Cables?
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Associate

NFPA 70 2014 Electrical Standards

10/23/2016 3:39 AM

hi fellows,

can anybody share soft copy of NFPA 70 2014 electrical standards?

regards.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

Re: NFPA 70 2014 electrical standards

10/23/2016 4:33 AM

I’m sure you can buy a copy, I’ll sell you mine when the 2017 edition is published.

Good Answers: 1682

10/23/2016 4:46 AM

NO!

Find your own copy.

If you are so helpless that you can't purchase your own copy, or find it on the internet, then you don't really need one, do you?

How to Search the Internet Effectively | MediaSmarts

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Associate

In reply to #2

10/23/2016 5:42 AM

I am out of cash, so can't buy.......that's why looking for free soft copy

I know how to search also , you think you are the only genius here?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 833
In reply to #4

10/23/2016 6:07 AM

Such an act would be in breach of copyright law in most jurisdictions. That is why the invitation is being declined.

In reply to #4

10/23/2016 11:42 AM

CR4 ADMIN: Deleted Post

Vulgar/Rude/Improper Behavior: This post was deleted because it did not adhere to the behavioral policies of the site. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ and the CR4 Rules of Conduct.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 14)
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #7

10/23/2016 12:31 PM

Vulgar/Rude/Improper Behavior: This post was deleted because it did not adhere to the behavioral policies of the site. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ and the CR4 Rules of Conduct.

In reply to #7

10/24/2016 12:49 AM

send me a link to prove that,

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #4

10/23/2016 6:12 PM

If money is a problem, it may be worth trying the library of a local city or college. I have found they can be willing to let you study documents on-site, even if they do not extend borrowing facility. Our city library has access to national standards on a terminal.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180
In reply to #4

10/24/2016 10:00 AM

Given all the questions you ask us about your work you should be rolling in surplus cash.

In reply to #12

10/24/2016 10:12 AM

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 8)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #13

10/24/2016 10:31 AM

Agree with you on the less consulted code books, such as NFPA 79, but NFPA 70, the NEC, is so widely used, that as mentioned in my previous post, you can get any part of it for free by Googling a question on the portion you need, and also at least 2 dozen professional interpretations of same by 2 dozen manufacturers who want to sell you parts. And, yes, that is a good thing, as reading the NEC does not always answer you questions. This is probably the most "gray" code I use regularly. What is that saying - "I know you believe you understand what you think the NEC says...." I would say NFPA 70 is the one exception to your statement. Give him your usual response and tell him to Google his questions - it does work for this code. And, it is the most reliable way to get a good interpretation, short of calling an NEC inspector, as I doubt there are that many experts in this forum.

In reply to #14

10/24/2016 1:13 PM

NEC has been adopted by all 50 states and the vast majority of cities in them.

I have looked at three different sites this morning that all have them available, free of charge.

However, the gauntlet has been thrown, which precludes my ever helping the OP.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444
In reply to #14

10/25/2016 6:12 PM

Actually nearly all the NFPA standards and codes are readable in their entirety for free, you just have to use your favorite search engine to find them.

Hint, they're all in one spot, and it's mentioned in the above text.

In reply to #13

10/25/2016 2:39 AM

is this professional to use word "clown" for someone who has asked some support?

if you dont want to support simply dont reply.......

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

10/25/2016 9:03 AM

Statement rescinded, with apologies.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #18

10/25/2016 6:29 PM

I wouldn't apologize for someone's laziness especially when all the info. is readily available on the Internet. But then that's my personal opinion.

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 800
In reply to #17

10/25/2016 3:51 PM

To be fair, we get a LOT of people posting in this (and other) forums asking for "free" copies of copyrighted materials or "hacks" for protected software, things like that. It actually puts the hosts of the websites at serious legal risk to facilitate this sort of transaction. So his comment (which I cannot read because it has been deleted) ostensibly using the term "clown", likely reflected his consternation at your not fully reading the rules and being willing to put this entire operation at risk of being shut down, which does harm to everyone. In other forum sites where I am an admin, we would have simply deleted your post and permanently banned you for requesting illegal activities.

So another way to look at this is that you got off easy with just an "inappropriate" comment from Lyn as a slap on the wrist...

Good Answers: 1794

10/23/2016 4:48 AM
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444

10/23/2016 10:12 AM

Sorry, but if you had taken the time and effort to search you would have found access to it for free on the web (and it's legal).

Keep your attitude to yourself; we're helpful to those who have exerted some effort and gotten stuck, and intolerant (as you have seen firsthand) to those who obviously haven't.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63

10/24/2016 8:24 AM

While I do have a copy sitting on my desk, I find if you Google what you need an answer on and mention NEC, you can get small sections of it without ever buying it. Plus, most sections have good interpretations from electrical parts distributors available under the same Google. So, unless you have a burning desire to read the whole thing, a copy really isn't necessary.

I design process skid controls and Google every thing I think I need a refresher on, particularly the hazardous atmosphere sections, which after 25 years, we can still get situations a bit different than encountered in the past. Also, you get a small section of it, usually in PDF, that is easy to print, should you want to save a particular section.

I keep that mentioned copy on my desk only to highlight important sections, after Googling it, and record the section and general description in the blank section at the back. Really, even that could be done without an actual copy.

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 800

10/24/2016 10:44 AM

If you go to NFPA.org and look, you will find on-line access to any NFPA 70 version for free, you just cannot download it without paying. So if you are looking for specific information about how to meet code, you can find it there. If you want to carry a copy with you as you do business in the US, that constitutes commercial use and you need to purchase a copy. The soft copy is less than $100 last I looked. If you are doing electrical work in the US and cannot afford the tools of your trade, you are not qualified to be doing the work.

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 203

Re: NFPA 70 2014 Electrical Standards

10/25/2016 11:42 PM

If your familiarity with NFPA 70 is so weak that you want to "borrow" a copy of it, you are too unfamiliar with it to understand it. It is written is very precise and sometimes hard to understand wording.

When you buy your own (most including me will not lend you their copy) also buy a copy of the Illustrated Guide to the NEC By Charles R. Miller. This book and many similar to it will discuss and clarify what NFPA 70 really means. It also has illustrations for clarity (A picture is worth a thousand words). It costs about the same as the NFPA 70 does but the investment in it makes your investment in the NFPA 70 book have a much higher return on investment and more understandable.

Good Luck, Old Salt

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

67model (1); dj95401 (2); JRaef (2); lyn (5); mrmuneb (3); old salt (1); Phys (2); PWSlack (1); RAMConsult (2); SolarEagle (1); TonyS (2)

Previous in Forum: Can Anyone Answer My Hypothetical Question About Filters?   Next in Forum: Your Experiences of PD On-site Measurement for MV Cables?

Advertisement