Previous in Forum: The Space Shuttle Endeavour Returns to Space   Next in Forum: Brass-aluminum bearing thrusts
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 23

Are Micro Wave Communication Satellites Heating the Upper Atmosphere

08/10/2007 12:55 AM

Does anyone know if the gases in the upper atmosphere are effected by the microwave transmissions to and from the earth?I know if I turn on empty micro wave oven for a few second I feel warmth inside.Is it possible that some if not all of the 1000's of satellites are each heating the upper atmosphere in small areas a few degrees. If so is that effect being transfered back to the surface. Scientist are being surprised at exponential effect the few degrees they predicted is affecting the planet. Just a thought because all the changes seem to have a point where there began to accelerate from the 1980's with the launch of a lot of satetllites in a short time peroid.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

Re: Are Micro Wave Communication Satellites Heating the Upper Atmosphere

08/10/2007 2:31 AM

1st - You should keep your hands, fingers or any body part out of places where it does not belong. It can be detrimental to you or the "place".

2nd - The effect of the source will be negligible compared to the sun.

3rd - A vacuum or partial vacuum is a heat transfer insulator. Not so long ago we thought there was something in space allowing for the transfer of heat - Calcium cloud or ether. (spelling?)

4th - The effect may be used in creating invisible satellites. The atmosphere around the object will expand in size because of the heat and will result in an inverse (??)magnifying bubble because of the lesser density.

Re 1 - 5Boys will be 5boys.

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #1

08/11/2007 12:53 AM

Hendrik's wisest Tongue-in-cheek so far!

mm

Guru

Good Answers: 2

08/10/2007 5:00 AM

Wot gas? I thought there was now a 'hole' were the ozone once was.

I'm concerned about microwaves at ground level, heavens, another thing now keeping me awake at night.

Good Answers: 10

08/10/2007 12:28 PM

As I understand it the mw causes a molecular 'vibration' thus friction, thus heat. The Heat you feel in the mw oven is the food releasing that energy (heat).

Does anyone think that the punching of holes and burning of rocket fuel as we explore space is causing the 'hole'.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22

08/10/2007 4:41 PM

I doubt it. The microwaves in an oven vibrate at a frequency that causes them to excite water molecules in food. Thus the food boils with its own water. If you feel heat in an "empty" microwave oven, it's because it excited water vapor molecules in the air inside the oven.

The microwaves used for satellite communications vibrate at different frequencies than the ovens. You would have to correlate wavelength and the diameters of molecules of atmoshpheric gases to establish the possiblity of excitation. Then you you have to determine if the power level of the transmissions is sufficient to excite the molecules in a significant way.

I haven't checked the specifics on this yet, but it seems at first to very doubtful.

In reply to #4

08/10/2007 6:15 PM

There are so many satellites up there and all with different programing for security. I could see that there are so many different ways the micro waves from different satellites crossing paths on their way up and back to earth could have an effect on the gases. One big concerns is the dark side of the planet possible never being allowed to naturally dissipate heat from the sun.

Also from what I have read recently it seems scientist are puzzled as to the speed the warming effect is snowballing especially with it's affect on the oceans, fish stocks and reefs.

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #4

08/11/2007 12:32 PM

I agree with this explanation from 3Doug. It is definitely the excitation of water vapor molecules that causes the heat in an empty microwave oven. By the way, you shouldn't run an "empty" oven without the door being open and you shouldn't run a microwave oven with the door open which is why they have safety interlocks on the doors. Confusing? If you understand the workings of a microwave oven, you'll understand what I mean. And, if you don't, just don't run your oven "empty". As far as the satellites are concerned, they don't produce enough energy at any frequency to be a significant factor.

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #9

08/11/2007 5:16 PM

you guys can help me here.

If I have 5 satelites beaming E to a location on earth at similar Hz, will I have a sum of the 5 as the total E ?

Good Answers: 49

08/11/2007 1:32 AM

To calm your fears, you really need to go to this site. It's quite interesting...

http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/

In reply to #7

08/11/2007 1:12 PM

This is a very good web site. On the learning page it posted: Work at other active ionospheric research facilities has shown that it is possible to raise this temperature by as much as 30% within a small, localized region during an experiment. The affected region would then temporarily display electrical characteristics different from neighboring regions of the layer. Sensitive scientific instruments on the ground can then be used to study the dynamic physical properties of this region in great detail.

I have read a lot of enviornmental studies and have not read where the scientist studing the global warming have included that the constant microwave maybe be heating small areas up to 30% everyday all day long. The carts show that the suns effect on electons at 100 km disappears when the sun sets. Micro wave satetllites espically military one are seldom shut down.

Great web site! Thanks.

08/11/2007 6:26 AM

The warmth you feel in an empty microwave is not the air being heated up by the microwave energy, but rather it is primarily warmth conveyed from the magnetron itself and the convection (and sometimes intentional draft) through the microwave box, plus the heat from the light-bulb which lights-up the inside of the microwave while it is running (sort of like a child's "Easy Bake" oven). Some minor heating may also come from the walls of the microwave, if it is of cheap construction, where a minor amount of the microwave energy might-be absorbed by the plastic. Remember a microwave operates on the principle of friction between the molecules/atoms that compose the to-be-heated object. In the ionosphere (upper-atmosphere) the air is rarified and near-vacuum so this effect is less than here on-Earth, near sea-level altitude. On most microwave ovens, if you were to run them for 15-minutes EMPTY, the whole box gets quite warm. This is the simple electronic inefficiency of the magnetron, cabinet light and high-voltage power supply, and not the heating-up of the air itself. In scientific terms, you would find far more natural cosmic microwave energy penetrating Earth's upper atmosphere than what man could ever send up there.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

08/11/2007 1:28 PM

I would surmise that the bottom line answer to the originator would be NO.

Satellites transmit at various frequency bandwidths, and are all quite low power, where the power density is then miniscule to (<<microwatts/cm2) as it propagates. Collectively, it would some billions of devices to create a problem, either to the earth's atmosphere or a electromagnetic bio-hazard to life on earth.

Meanwhile, the similar emissions from our sun alone result in those effects which surpass anything we are doing or will be doing in the forseeable future.

Heating in an empty microwave oven also occurs from the plastic and other materials within the chamber. As otherwise said: not good to run the baby with nothing in it!

Guru

08/11/2007 6:17 PM

Ok I got my answer and it is no. I am glad the answer is no actually.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

3Doug (1); Bill ML (1); dadw5boys (3); FKIA (1); Hendrik (1); MUKULMAHANT (1); preXton (1); TexasCharley (2); vermin (1); Wrenched (1)

Previous in Forum: The Space Shuttle Endeavour Returns to Space   Next in Forum: Brass-aluminum bearing thrusts

Advertisement