Previous in Forum: Flettner Rotor Perfomance   Next in Forum: Is it Possible to Make a Button Head Machine Screw a Certain Size/Gram Weight?
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

Huge Black Hole May Have Turned Star into 'Spaghetti'

12/17/2016 10:19 AM

"A spinning, supermassive black hole may have sucked in a star and “spaghettified” it, creating an incredibly bright light in a far-off galaxy, astronomers announced on Monday.

The light was so bright that astronomers first thought that it was the explosion of the brightest supernova in recorded history. It was 20 times brighter, at its peak, than the amount of light put out by all of the Milky Way, according to the European Southern Observatory. But now, they have a stronger theory. If a spinning, huge black hole at the center of this galaxy— as massive as 100 million suns, at least— pulled in a passing star and shredded it, that would have created the incredibly luminous event."

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/12/14/huge-black-hole-may-have-turned-star-into-spaghetti.html

Pathfinder Tags: black hole Supernova
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936

Re: Huge Black Hole May Have Turned Star into 'Spaghetti'

12/17/2016 12:26 PM

That is a nice artist's impression video of a star falling into a black hole.

I wonder what, if any, spectral or other trait tipped these astrophysicists into thinking this was not a supernova. If nothing differentiates these methods of stellar death then might this change our perception of stellar evolution that results in a supernova?

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #1

12/17/2016 12:41 PM

Their light curves serve to differentiate among the various types of supernovae, but this one's light curve didn't follow any of those, not to mention its extraordinary brightness even by supernova standards.

Also some types of supernovae (such as type II) dissipate much of their energy in the form of neutrinos. Type II are the brightest supernovae at optical wavelengths but, even so, the light emitted often represents less than 3% of the total energy released; the rest as a giant pulse of neutrinos, so I'm wondering what the world's neutrino observatories saw that might corroborate the shredded-star hypothesis? Possibly nothing?

Guru

12/17/2016 9:22 PM

The 'tidal disruption' shown in the video is not really accurate. The star does not remain intact, leaving a trail like meteor might when plunging through Earth's atmosphere. More of an "artist's conception" perhaps? Supercomputer simulations based on the actual physics of a disruption show quite a different picture; something more like this:

Guru

In reply to #3

12/18/2016 7:36 AM

I was wondering about that too. Very nice. Thanks

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

12/19/2016 5:45 AM

Supermassive black holes seem capable of turning nouns into new past participles too: <...spaghettified...>....

In reply to #5

12/19/2016 12:54 PM

Any word can be verbed!

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817
In reply to #7

12/20/2016 3:36 AM

What a wonderful language.

In reply to #7

12/20/2016 3:53 AM

If black holes are black because of their tremendous gravity, are white holes white because of their tremendous levity?

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #16

12/20/2016 10:40 AM

Have you ever seen a white hole? It would almost seem that looking into the "event horizon" of a white hole, one would be highly repulsed. Or rather blown away?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #17

12/20/2016 11:09 AM

I thought the big bang was the only known white hole.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #18

12/20/2016 11:30 AM

So that is what happens when the universe is swallowed by the final black hole, and spit out the other end? Shirley, there has to be an end to the hole somewhere. I think there is more than one hole in that theory?

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 17

12/19/2016 12:49 PM

Maybe, the better question should be, do black-holes ever totally (fill-up)?...

''illigitimi non carborundum...''(i.e.: don't let the fatherless (self-deluding,sabotaging, long-term-memory-impaired, knee-jerking, cheap-shotting, mono-syllabic, self-annointed, shadow-lurking, back-biting, off-topic-inquisitors) grind you down...)
Guru

In reply to #6

12/19/2016 12:55 PM

They don't fill, they get bigger, like my cousin Luigi.

Guru

In reply to #6

12/19/2016 12:57 PM

No, but they love spaghetti!

Guru

In reply to #6

12/19/2016 12:58 PM

You sparked a curious question in me. If a black hole is given enough anti-matter can enough matter be annihilated for it cease to be a black hole?

In reply to #10

12/19/2016 1:04 PM

No, because the reaction products (gamma rays and neutrinos) would have the same equivalent mass as the original matter + antimatter and it would remain a black hole. Regardless of what happened inside it cannot escape and so the BH would only get bigger and more massive by the amount of antimatter added.

Guru

In reply to #10

12/19/2016 2:55 PM

It's hard to say what ordinary matter (and energy) 'becomes' at the singularity at a black hole's centre. Whatever 'it' is, it has mass, certainly, and black holes can have net angular momentum and electric charge, but infalling matter and energy may not retain their identity as such once they become part of the singularity. Would matter and antimatter even be distinguishable from each other by that point? I don't know.

Guru

In reply to #10

12/20/2016 4:43 PM

I thank you for giving my question serious consideration...

''illigitimi non carborundum...''(i.e.: don't let the fatherless (self-deluding,sabotaging, long-term-memory-impaired, knee-jerking, cheap-shotting, mono-syllabic, self-annointed, shadow-lurking, back-biting, off-topic-inquisitors) grind you down...)
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

12/19/2016 4:21 PM

Neal deGrasse Tyson's Death by Black Hole describes this.

12/19/2016 4:56 PM

I don't know but it (almost) burned out my computer screen due to high gamma.

In reply to #14

01/09/2017 8:28 PM

Maybe you should try to contact Dr. Bruce Banner. I've heard that he is quite the expert on high-level gamma exposure...

Guru

In reply to #21

01/10/2017 11:00 AM

There are two kinds of gamma - one is the screen brightness gain, the other is photons of ionizing radiation. I was referring to the former, not the latter. But thanks for the reminder. I am mostly myself today, not the green guy.

In reply to #22

01/11/2017 12:14 PM

If you're not, then who is?...

Or, has that job been outsourced too?...

Guru

In reply to #23

01/11/2017 12:37 PM

I am sort of managing my nicotine deficient raging, and have been warned, so yes, it has been outsourced.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (6); James Stewart (5); MR. Guest (4); PWSlack (2); redfred (3); Rixter (3); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Flettner Rotor Perfomance   Next in Forum: Is it Possible to Make a Button Head Machine Screw a Certain Size/Gram Weight?

Advertisement