Previous in Forum: SpaceX Static Test of the Falcon Heavy   Next in Forum: 20th Anniversary of Deep Blue Vs. Kasparov
Close
Close
Close
35 comments
Active Contributor

Fun Project Help!

05/10/2017 12:03 PM

Hello friends,

I have been working on a fun personal project lately to attach a flag pole to my car via suction cups that allow me to fly my American/Sports fans flag! It's been a lot of fun but I have ran into one major problem. How can I attach the flag (through the two standard 3x5 sized flag grommets) to the solid carbon fiber flag pole? The pole is aprox. 1/2 inch in diameter. I have tried everything from hose clamps (which work, but are bulky and a pain to attach/remove) as well as custom made rubber pieces. These pieces work, but I have noticed failure when driving 60+ mph. I am hoping to get some fresh ideas as to ways I can attach the flag to the pole easily that can withstand lots of resistance from the wind while driving at higher speeds. If a product already exists that can attach a flag to a pole for high-speed use, that would be fantastic.

I will a photo to better help the imagination. Cheers!

Here you can see the hose clamps holding the flag (these are not ideal and we decided to look in another direction)

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

Re: Fun project help!

05/10/2017 1:58 PM

Drill a couple 3/16th inch diameter holes through the carbon fiber pole at the locations of the grommets in the flag. Feed a black zip strip through each hole and through the grommets in the flag. Done.

If you want something stronger than a zip strip, get a chain link connector.

In reply to #1

05/10/2017 3:05 PM

The issue with this is the long-term damage done to the poles when drilling through them. The Carbon Fiber material tends to splinter and break after drilling through.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646
In reply to #4

05/10/2017 5:48 PM

Drill the holes. Install the chain link connectors, then fill the holes and coat the edges of the holes with an exterior grade epoxy.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 926

05/10/2017 2:35 PM

In reply to #2

05/10/2017 3:09 PM

Funny ;) I am looking for a long-term fix that allows me to take off and re-use easily.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 140

05/10/2017 2:47 PM

Simple... 4 ty-raps. Two each at top and bottom. Use two ty-raps to go around the pole (one at the top and one at the bottom) and two to go in between the pole and the ty-rap to use to go through the grommets on the flag.

In reply to #3

05/10/2017 3:07 PM

The ty-raps aren't a bad idea. Do you know of a version of these that aren't permanent? The ty-wraps I am thinking of are a 1 time use and don't allow me to easily remove and re-use them.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 140
In reply to #5

05/10/2017 5:01 PM

Yes, you can get ty-raps that are reusable, but why bother. At the price of ty-raps, cut them with a pair of side cutters when you want to remove the flag and use 4 more when you want to put it back.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 466
In reply to #14

05/11/2017 9:13 AM

If the ty-raps thro' the flag grommets weren't too tight, he'd only need to cut and replace the two on the pole (once every flag had been equipped with them) - probably about 10 cents.

05/10/2017 3:15 PM

For the record, I am not against a new designed solution. I have some friends that have helped me build some custom solutions in the past and I am sure I could get help if I had a good design to go with. Cheers!

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #7

05/10/2017 3:46 PM

why not glue the flag pole inside a metal tube with pins sticking out of the tube in four places (two at top, two at bottom, paired on opposing sides of the metal tube.

Next get a slightly larger tube, and affix that permanently (however ugly) to your already mutilated ride. Mill bayonet slots in the outer tube, insert the adapted flagpole with protruding pins (lugs actually), and bayonet lock it in place.

In reply to #8

05/10/2017 3:56 PM

Interesting approach. Would you mind sketching out a quick draft so I can better understand your solution? Let's see your paint skills at work ;)

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #11

05/10/2017 4:51 PM

Go Google different styles of bayonet lock, and you will get your own idea, easily enough. I have now taught you how to fish, rather than fishing for you.

In reply to #13

05/10/2017 5:35 PM

Thank you for your suggestions.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

05/11/2017 8:59 AM

Now that I have learned you are wanting filthy lucre from distributing these flag holders, I will now chastise you for not wanting to rely more upon your own ingenuity, seeking free engineering, when there might be an engineer out there needing a paycheck, and then "belly-aching" about some (not all) of the suggestions as not appropriate.

I don't do student homework, and I damn sure stop offering help once I learn someone is trying circumvent the way things are supposed to work.

Good Answers: 1699

05/10/2017 3:50 PM

Flags are for parades, they don't hold up at high speed....What you need is a wrap....

In reply to #9

05/10/2017 3:54 PM

If only! I am not concerned about the life of the flag. In my testing, most flags will ware out over time (especially at high speeds as you mentioned). The majority of my use will be used at lower speeds (30-40), but I would like them to withstand slower highway speeds as well. I have no problem replacing flags as needed as long as they will stay securely attached. Thanks for your feedback!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 926
In reply to #10

05/10/2017 4:02 PM

Wait a minute! Do you want this flag to be easy or hard to remove?

...Well there's your problem.

In reply to #12

05/10/2017 5:35 PM

I would like the flag to be removed without too much effort... I'd like the option to replace the flag with different flags as I see fit without ruining the flag or the pole.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

05/10/2017 6:43 PM

Then you need flags that have a sleeve so you can insert the pole into the sleeve....maybe even insert a pvc pole and glue that to the flag to keep it from bunching or stressing at support points....then just slip the pvc over the support mount pole, a pole within a pole...or maybe aluminum...

In reply to #18

05/11/2017 11:05 AM

This idea would be great, however unfortunately I have learned that most of the flags on the market do not come in sleeves like the one shown. Instead the grommet style is much more mainstream. Thank you for your suggestion. Cheers!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

05/15/2017 2:59 AM

Most flags are designed for stationary mounting.....it would be easy enough to add a sleeve....or just buy them...

https://www.amazon.com/American-Flag-Pole-Sleeve-Nylon/dp/B005P2DJMY

https://www.united-states-flag.com/custom.html

Good Answers: 144

Re: Fun Project Help!

05/10/2017 7:46 PM

From the language being used it sounds like you need assistance in creating a flag mount that will be reproduced for possible distribution?

Possibly yes? If so that would affect it's design characteristics.

What's the story?

In reply to #19

05/10/2017 8:22 PM

Correct, if I can get a few last things (mainly the flag to pole mount) I would love to share my idea with others. Here are some custom made rubber pieces I have been testing. They work well, but will break/come apart at higher speeds (60+mph).

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 144
In reply to #20

05/10/2017 9:03 PM

I'd consider looking towards a suitable or custom suction cup assembly..

..not like the one I've referenced in the photo below, but maybe something with a cylindrical sleeve (for the rod)as apposed to a ring etc. I think that with the right material, size, quality and some flexibility between the sleeve and the suction cup you might find that it held the flag ever more firmly under load.

a little misty spray should be all that's needed to insert the pole, but even that might not be an issue.

I'd do some testing by attaching various lengths and types of suitable 'rubber' hoses to suitable cups before ordering a custom sample.

It would also be advisable to find a suction cup capable of operating and staying attached for as long as possible should there be an unnoticed failure of one cup.

A flag beating it self up and dragging is better than answering the phone and hearing about you flag holder design (not mine) causing an accident.

be safe. have fun.

In reply to #21

05/11/2017 11:06 AM

This is a great idea. I will take some time to look into this some more. Thank you!

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 811

05/11/2017 5:58 AM

<...driving 60+ mph...> Drive slower, then. Particularly where the legal speed limit is 55.

Presumably the vehicle's insurers know about these modifications?

Good Answers: 17

05/11/2017 10:02 AM

velcro

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

In reply to #25

05/11/2017 11:09 AM

Velcro solves all :)

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 3

05/11/2017 10:27 AM

if you can tap the end to install a screw, then insert a poly tube inside of the flag hem and then slide the flag w/ the tube over the end of the pole and secure with the screw in the end.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Active Contributor

In reply to #26

05/11/2017 11:13 AM

Hmmm interesting. I will draw this up and see if this could work. Thank you!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 87

05/11/2017 10:35 AM

Find a shaft collar that fits the shaft.

Replace the set screw with a cap screw and washer.

Run the cap screw through the flag eyelet and lock into place on the shaft.

If the shaft is too small for a collar with the suitable cap screw size, make a split bushing to go inside the collar and around the shaft.

Lock it all together and go for it.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Active Contributor

In reply to #27

05/11/2017 11:11 AM

Great concept. I will give this some more thought. Thank you!

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 17

05/11/2017 11:54 AM

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 27

05/11/2017 8:47 PM

You could use 'O' rings. Loop the ring through the eyelet and then itself to form an eye. Then look up how to tie a clove hitch and do that over the pole. The size required is the only "design" required.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

d1rtydancer (14); Don Blashka (1); James Stewart (3); JE in Chicago (2); JIMRAT (1); JohnDG (1); Jpfalt (1); North of 60 (2); PWSlack (1); redfred (2); setlock77 (2); SolarEagle (3); Usbport (2)

Previous in Forum: SpaceX Static Test of the Falcon Heavy   Next in Forum: 20th Anniversary of Deep Blue Vs. Kasparov

Advertisement