Previous in Forum: How Cool is This   Next in Forum: Water Measurement Question
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Back-up Battery

02/13/2018 8:12 PM

My F&G panel is showing battery fault. Originally back up battery is 12v/17ah. My question; can i use 12v/7ah as a replacement of the original back battery. I refer to manual and it say 12v/7ah can be fitted but alarm still persist when i installed it.

Your answer is appreciated. Thank you ��

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1722

Re: Back up battery

02/13/2018 8:23 PM

..."Batteries must be properly sized to provide adequate capacity and the ability to discharge at a rate demanded by the system load for a specified duration.

It is a failure when a secondary (standby) power system does not have either the stored capacity or the ability to discharge at a rate that will meet a signaling system's demand over a set time period."...

http://www.sfpe.org/page/2012_Q1_5/Power-Supply-Requirement-for-Fire-Alarm-and-Signaling-Systems.htm

Good Answers: 1661

02/13/2018 8:34 PM

1. Are you sure your back up battery is the problem?

2. Have you tried a direct replacement battery of 12V, 17ah and if not, that should be your next step.

As Solar Eagle's web search said, in so many words, a larger ah capacity battery will always give superior performance.

Guru

Good Answers: 107

02/14/2018 1:24 AM

Check the batteries and if they are at fault at all.

Maybe the charging circuit is gone and indicates wrong.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 816

02/14/2018 4:15 AM

What did the equipment manufacturer say over the phone?

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

Re: Back-up Battery

02/14/2018 1:26 PM

Hard to say. Could be something as simple as the panel needs to be powered off or reset to clear the alarm.

Did you disconnect power to the panel BEFORE replacing the battery? If not try that first.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

02/14/2018 4:07 PM

Your proposed replacement has less capacity which usually translates into shorter operation time.

However, it also means that it is likely to drop its output voltage when tested at the higher capacity. Consequently, it is better to reverse your direction and find a battery with a higher capacity that will fit.

Newer machines don't need batteries. Something to look forward to....

Good Answers: 2

02/15/2018 1:22 AM

The battery discharge rate is inadequate that results in battery alarm, you will need to change the battery for proper capacity

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 64

02/15/2018 6:12 AM

The answer is NO. When the original installation calls for 17AH, you should not reduce the capacity of AH since, the duration of the battery discharging time comes down and it may reach to zero faster. It may lead to some other problem either mild or serious nature.

There is a possibility of printing error in the manual, which can occur inspite of good attempt to eliminate error while printing.

DHAYANANDHAN.S

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

02/15/2018 1:32 PM

Did the reset I suggest work?

Unless the panel electronics have a sophisticated discharge self-test that checks battery life and capacity the panel won't know you have used a smaller capacity battery. If the panel does you will need the larger capacity battery to get it to work.

I am not sure what type of panel this is exactly.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #9

02/16/2018 4:39 PM

Autrosence200

Guru

In reply to #12

02/18/2018 1:56 PM

Check that both your batteries have been charged first before installing. If this doesn't work also try reinstalling the batteries with power on (as it says in the manual), or try disabling the battery check enable under the setup menu.

If this doesn't work then you will likely need to install the correct capacity batteries.

I am assuming you are replacing both batteries, not just one? You need to make sure both batteries are the same capacity and at roughly the same charge before installing them or the battery sensing electronics in the panel will show an error.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 816

02/15/2018 1:41 PM

<...can i...> CR4 is not a permission-giving entity, nor does it pre-assess the abilities of posters.

Good Answers: 24

02/15/2018 4:28 PM

You should be able to use any battery of that rating or larger. My UPS came with a gel battery about 9" X 12". Not enough run time for my needs. Here is my replacement:

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); dhayanandhan (1); IdeaSmith (1); jack of all trades (3); lyn (1); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); PWSlack (2); rsalaskar (1); SolarEagle (1); wmerryall (1)

Previous in Forum: How Cool is This   Next in Forum: Water Measurement Question

Advertisement