Previous in Forum: Water Measurement Question   Next in Forum: Towing An Iceberg?
Close
Close
Close
23 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 1

Should I Continue to Work With Clay?/Does it Fit my Genre?

02/14/2018 8:37 PM

Hello CR4 community,

About four months ago, I released a video on youtube about deconstructing my first project on the channel from 01 March 2017, when I created the channel. With my first channel "birthday" coming up, I released a video of something a little different than the majority of my videos. The main differences are that it is static, made out of clay, and is leaning far closer to "pure art" than the rest of my videos. It was also a collaboration with a classmate for a school project in 8th grade. I know that I have not been very active on this community, and probably do not deserve a huge amount of participation on your part, but I want your thoughts on what direction I should bring my channel in. I could go more "arty" or I go back to my standard. CR4 greatly helped my get my rocky start of youtube, and while I am still a small channel, I have crossed far more barriers than I ever envisioned 11 months ago. So in conclusion, here is my question to you is: what direction do you think my youtube channel should go in?

Thank you!

Here is my latest video:

Here is the video description:

"This clay hippo, named TuTu, was forged in an high school art class with a fellow student. I helped make the form, but the student that helped me did most of the molding. To balance out the workload, I picked out the eye-catching blue glaze color, and painted it on myself. The hippo form was pinched by hand out of Stoneware 182, fired at 850 oF for 12 hours, glazed, and fired again. The hole in the back of the hippo, conveniently placed where hippos normally have holes (if you catch my drift), is there to keep TuTu from exploding in the kiln."

Here is the link to my youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvXM0aTzmfK-ghfkjNU_Akw

Here is the link to a playlist of all my videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAb9z0H9ves&list=PLGn9N4Nj2ZRTB9XGOLc2AMahqa5O_nA2X

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: direction future knex Maker Question
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1661

Re: Should I Continue to Work With Clay?/Does it Fit my Genre?

02/14/2018 10:07 PM

I believe that you have a future in art.

This piece grabs the viewer and begs closer inspection.

Do more art! I believe that you have talent.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #1

02/14/2018 10:16 PM

lyn,

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I have some other ceramic work from my early high school years that I could feature in future videos. I have also dabbled in mosaics after my recent trip to South America. What do you think about showcasing an mosaic bromeliad? I could also do more 3D origami videos.

Again, thank you for your feedback!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

02/14/2018 11:34 PM

I think that you should do what makes you feel creative, not what someone else thinks you should do.

If you enjoy your work, others will too.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 1722

02/14/2018 11:53 PM

Don't specialize in any one area at this young age, try everything that interests you...Metal, wood, ceramic, painting.....you might consider using some computer drawing programs to workout your ideas in graphic form...Cartooning is fun....the possibilities are many, explore them all.....Try copying other artists work that you like, this forces you into more creative area....

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409
In reply to #4

02/15/2018 2:57 PM

now,... SE.... its not a competition....

but good suggestions... I like to add to SE suggestions, if your created something from nothing... to attempt and experience new things out of ones comfort zone, this can add to your abilities or strengths.

In reply to #4

02/15/2018 5:15 PM

Thank you for the advice, Solar Eagle,

Do you know of any artists that I should look into for inspiration. A few years ago, my art teacher gave the class a project to create something that is inspired and reflects the work of Alexander Calder, the famous American sculptor who is credited with the invention of the mobile.

Here is picture of one of his most famous pieces:

The main attraction of the mobile is the way that is perfectly balances on one point. They are normally hung in an open air setting so that the natural breezes can move them to and fro.

Here is a short documentary clip about the work and impact that Alexander Calder had on the concept of sculpture:

I ended up making a stabile, which is like a mobile, but is supported from the ground up instead of hanging by a thread.

I am giving this example so that you can see some of the work that I have been exposed to already. I really enjoyed exploring his work and crafting my own in his style. Do you know of any artists that I could use as a tool to learn new concepts?

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

02/15/2018 1:07 AM

I would say this piece is a different genre from your earlier work as seen on CR4. Both have been delightful, so don't worry if a new direction does not "fit" an earlier one. Go for both!

Good Answers: 144

02/15/2018 9:40 AM

Hello again Maker,

To be fair, or unfair. Depends on how you look at it. I didn't watch the blue hippo video. There's really nothing there to entice me. You can speak about the kiln and various specifications until you are blue in the face, but it's still going to look like a blue hippo. And a boring one at that. (sorry.. it's still nice)

Throughout modern history and beyond into antiquity there are esoteric examples of artisan engineering that should stir the soul and boggle the mind.

I would suggest you find that which you can't fathom and pursue it with all of your intellect and ambition so that you can shed light on technique and give understanding to the engineering history of humankind.

I would love for CR4 to dedicate a forum to the 'Esoteric Engineering' of the past as it deserves the scrutiny we can provide in this forum. A place where ideas can be bandied about without leaning too heavily on supernatural explanations, BUT where they too can be pondered.

I like what you've shown so far, and I don't want to be too critical, but I don't want to give false praise just because of your youthfulness. I think you have a good head on you shoulders and it would be best to challenge yourself.

If I could have had the tools and knowledge available that you do at your age. This is a direction I would want to be pointed.

Best of luck!

In reply to #6

02/16/2018 10:32 AM

What steps could we both take to create an "Esoteric Engineering" forum?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

02/16/2018 6:32 PM

Well first there would need to be an expressed interest.

I've expressed mine.. You yours.. Thank you.. (very forward/backward thinking)

Other than that. There doesn't seem to be an inkling of interest.

Fear of the unknown is a mighty mite.

sniff.. kinda sad

The 'Esoteric Engineering' forum has my vote

In reply to #15

02/16/2018 9:05 PM

I have a friend who may be interested... I will try to get him to join CR4 in the coming days. I will get back to you with the results!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 137

02/15/2018 10:14 AM

"my question to you is: what direction do you think my youtube channel should go in?"

Go in your direction.

No, I'm not giving some sort of a dumb answer. When something catches your interest work hard to expand your knowledge and experience in that direction. When you don't have a specific target put a little effort into something different just to see where it takes you.

It might be good to think about others when it comes to organizing and presenting your efforts to others. Help others follow what interests them and easily decline to invest their time in whatever is not of interest to them. But for the actual topics and efforts you should go in your direction. If you keep your eyes open then your biggest problem will be that there are too many directions you want to go in.

Good Answers: 287
In reply to #7

02/16/2018 4:24 AM

I agree: GA.

Do what you want to do, not, what you think other people will want you to do.

I know you are excited about the money you may be able to make through your you tube channel, but, at the end of the day you know you are good enough to make a good living doing almost anything. So why not just do whatever you enjoy the most.

There is a quote somewhere here on CR4 which is something like this:-

"Find a job that you enjoy, and, you will never have to work a day in your life."

Anonymous Poster #1

02/16/2018 9:46 AM

Enjoy the path of least resistance.

It's lined with millennial's trolling for ez YouTube gold.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #11

02/16/2018 10:03 AM

It's responses like this that makes me want to ban anonymous posters.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

02/16/2018 10:10 AM

so ban them.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

02/17/2018 4:26 AM

With art you can only go where the inspiration takes you... the inspiration can be the materials, or lack of them, the constraints of time, space etc the things around you and what you see.
Don't have a genre... maybe a style which will manifest itself across all materials and genre... but don't pin yourself down.
Del

In reply to #17

02/17/2018 8:00 AM

I may quote you some day!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

02/17/2018 12:11 PM

wise cat

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 17

02/20/2018 12:30 PM

My answer to your first question is to ask the question:

''Where do you want your youtube (exposure) to take you?...''

''illigitimi non carborundum...''(i.e.: don't let the fatherless (self-deluding,sabotaging, long-term-memory-impaired, knee-jerking, cheap-shotting, mono-syllabic, self-annointed, shadow-lurking, back-biting, off-topic-inquisitors) grind you down...)
Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #20

02/20/2018 12:44 PM

Is it okay not to know?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #21

02/20/2018 1:10 PM

Yes, it's OK not to know. You won't know until you get there. The journey is sometimes the best part of the trip.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #21

02/23/2018 11:59 AM

Lee Marvin said, in ''Paint your wagon''...

(We don't know where we're goin' but we're on our way...)

''illigitimi non carborundum...''(i.e.: don't let the fatherless (self-deluding,sabotaging, long-term-memory-impaired, knee-jerking, cheap-shotting, mono-syllabic, self-annointed, shadow-lurking, back-biting, off-topic-inquisitors) grind you down...)
Register to Reply
Register to Reply 23 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); BruceFlorida (1); Del the cat (1); JE in Chicago (4); lyn (4); MR. Guest (2); phoenix911 (1); Randall (1); SolarEagle (1); The Maker (6); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Water Measurement Question   Next in Forum: Towing An Iceberg?

Advertisement