Previous in Forum: Thanksgiving Video: Storm of the Century   Next in Forum: Power Production From the Salt/Fresh Water Barrier
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940

Malting in Space

12/04/2019 9:23 AM

A soon to be launched cargo delivery to the ISS has a self-contained experiment to malt barley in micro-gravity. I guess any long term voyage needs some relaxation time.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: Malting in Space

12/04/2019 9:25 AM

It will be interesting to watch that idea ferment...

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 415
In reply to #1

12/04/2019 10:40 AM

Hope it ages,... well.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #2

12/04/2019 10:48 AM

Traditionally, gravity has been an important factor in the effectiveness of fermentation processes. One wonders how separation in a microgravity environment will be effective, unless an acceleration field, an "artificial gravity", is created with centrifugation or similar.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

12/04/2019 1:01 PM

It’s going to be interesting... I look at dealing with the low gravity environment, a new process will be developed... or even discover something they weren’t even looking for.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1046
In reply to #4

12/05/2019 6:18 PM
Register to Reply
Power-User
CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Admin

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #3

12/05/2019 3:55 PM

There's another form of "gravity" in brewing that is the measure of the density (of the wort, typically, in beer brewing) that helps you determine things like ABV. Comparing Original Gravity (before fermentation, of the wort) and Final Gravity, the difference multiplied by 131.25 is a decent enough equation for ABV for novices like myself.

Thinking about the 6 gallon carboys and fermentation vessels I've used as a homebrewer, the result of keeping the active yeast in solution rather than letting it settle at the bottom, caused in part to gravity, and go dormant prematurely should be a benefit? Maybe increase the output of the yeast and get the most of out their efforts. They can't go forever though, they eventually run out of food/oxygen and go dormant. Perhaps keeping it in solution, they'll still go dormant, but really only after consuming everything they can?

I use a stir plate when I make starters (basically a small, 1800ml batch of wort that you pitch the yeast into) to keep the yeast active longer. If you don't have a stir plate, homebrewers making a starter are told to periodically shake the flask to get everything stirred up again. I'm thinking this is a similar enough idea?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #8

12/06/2019 1:59 PM

I wonder how much waste product one normally makes in the malting process. Every gram brought to space is an expensive gram.

In reply to #13

12/06/2019 8:15 PM

Define ‘waste’, what was once waste, is now a by-product (animal feed).

In reply to #15

12/06/2019 10:01 PM

A valid point but only if one also brings animals to feed into space.

Getting back to my question, do you have any idea how much waste malting produces?

In reply to #16

12/07/2019 1:21 PM

I can ask my brother,... he pick up the byproduct to feed his young stock from the micro brewery. They want him to raise heirloom grains for brewing. The brewer owner is pretty free with the information.

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #3

12/06/2019 5:44 AM

...or more useful to me, if the idea works, how do I create zero gravity to make my own.....?

In reply to #11

12/06/2019 1:28 PM

How you ask?,... you can’t get there from here...

Good Answers: 144

12/04/2019 1:15 PM

If micro gravity has problems then maybe they could hook the fermentation tank to a claw and spin it around because as far as gravity is concerned. Claw's the law.

...I'll see myself out

Good Answers: 80

12/05/2019 10:28 AM

India Pale Ale (IPA)

Brewed to replace water on long voyages.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #6

12/05/2019 10:29 AM

India Pale Ale Interstellar Pale Ale

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member

Good Answers: 7

12/06/2019 12:21 AM

Would this beer be 'out of this world?'

Good Answers: 125

12/06/2019 2:12 PM

I read somewhere that the experiment has to do with making beer on Mars, once settled.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); horace40 (1); JE in Chicago (1); phoenix911 (5); PWSlack (2); rashavarek (1); redfred (2); Rixter (1); Sid_Sidow (1); WJMFIRE (1); yamdankee (1)

Previous in Forum: Thanksgiving Video: Storm of the Century   Next in Forum: Power Production From the Salt/Fresh Water Barrier

Advertisement