Previous in Forum: Parasitic Brain Control   Next in Forum: 10,000 times faster than living synapses
Close
Close
Close
28 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 297

Teapot terminology

08/03/2022 5:21 AM

I realise that tea and teapots is not likely to be of interest to many over the pond, but perhaps the terminology may be common to other vessels.

I have quite a good teapot:-

It's a Le Creuset which is quite a good make, but, it suffers from a major fault. Tea leaks from the front of the lid as soon as you start to pour both when the pot is full and when the spout gets blocked by the tea bag.

I have seen pots with the following design change (I have just badly edited the picture):-

The lid has a complementary change: the lid is still round but the bit which projects into the opening is "just over semi-circular".

What is the name of this type of change so that I can search for one.

I've done searches for: teapot images, teapots with semi-circular lids and several others.

I found these

the anatomy of a teapot

teapot shapes

I thought this would be easy, but haven't found anything yet.

I suppose in desperation I could try to modify my existing pot.

Any ideas?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416

Re: Teapot terminology

08/03/2022 8:54 AM

I googled ‘Where Are Le Creuset Teapots Made’. Le creuset stoneware is safe for use in the microwave, freezer, refrigerator, dishwasher, oven and broiler. Hence, “made in china” le creuset products are safe if they are made after 1970.

I didn’t go to the site,… I felt that it was questionable. My point, is if manufacturing is offshored, maybe the design of it have also been cut.

In reply to #1

08/03/2022 9:57 AM

I'm pretty sure they are still made in France.

In any case teapots are one item I would expect the Chinese to be pretty competent at designing.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #5

08/03/2022 10:56 AM

I would think so….

Good Answers: 3

08/03/2022 9:10 AM

The answer is much simpler and it was solved millions of years ago by the Japanese which you can demonstrate to yourself reading this article and then buy a small jar of Kikkoman soya sauce to prove it for yourself before doing what I'm suggesting here.

Drill a hole or cut a notch in your lid and always position your lid so the hole or notch is always farthest from the spout, so 180 degrees away.

That lets air get in and it will stop the blockage of your pour which is causing your pot to be tipped higher than it needs and then there will be no leakage from the lid.

Why soy sauce pourer works

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

08/03/2022 9:50 AM

As it happens the lid already has a hole there at the back by the lip designed to stop the lid from falling when tipped forward:-

The marketing blerb describes it as a steam hole.

In any case the blockage is caused by the teabag entering the spout.

Good Answers: 35

08/03/2022 9:40 AM

I steep my tea in a nice little Susie Cooper teapot from Crown Works, Burslem, England (circa 1930's). It suffers from neither of the pouring defects you describe. It is a spherical, rather than cylindrical design. The interior seven strain holes leading to the spout are positioned on a convex surface so that the tea bag slides to one side of the strain holes when pouring, leaving the holes unobstructed. The tumblehome (nautical term) top prevents the tea leaking around the lid when pouring. These well considered design details contribute to the pleasure of the tea drinking experience.

Good Answers: 1751
In reply to #3

08/03/2022 10:29 AM

This sounds something like I was thinking, an internally curved strainer that would block the teabags while not allowing them to cut off the flow of tea to the spout....I looked for one online but couldn't find what I was looking for....

This design is an alternative, but might not align with your present routine...however it does show an insert into the spout that if modified could work...

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #6

08/03/2022 1:23 PM

Susie Cooper had it all figured out 90 years ago. Her teapots can still be purchased from antique dealers.

Good Answers: 1751
In reply to #9

08/03/2022 11:53 PM

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940

08/03/2022 10:50 AM

I think you are looking for a locking or latching lid teapot.

Speaking of teapots, there was a presidential scandal on this side of the pond a century ago involving a Teapot.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Good Answers: 131
In reply to #7

08/05/2022 11:26 AM

And there was something about tea (but not teapot) in Boston about 250 years ago.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783

08/03/2022 4:15 PM

How about pulling out the bag(s) before pouring the tea? Or use loose tea in a metal ball, which stay at the bottom.

Guru

Good Answers: 88

08/04/2022 12:53 AM

An engineer would find a way to keep tea bags submerged. How about attachable ballast on tea bags? (LOL) S.M.

In reply to #12

08/05/2022 11:04 AM

I could make a simple wire teabag holder: GA

In reply to #12

10/17/2022 8:27 AM

I made a simple cage out of a length of piano wire

But I was surprised that when it came out of the dishwasher it was really rusty. (Pianos must be really difficult to maintain in high humidity climates.)

So I bought a small one of these stainless steel infusers.