Previous in Forum: LABORATORIES   Next in Forum: Anti gravity Emitters
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Participant

Internal Coating for Sulfuric Acid Storage Tank!

01/16/2008 2:42 PM

Which kind of internal coating is recomended for sulfuric acid (70%) storage tank?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: acid coating sulfuric Tank
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411

Re: internal coating for sulfuric acid storage tank!

01/16/2008 2:45 PM

not knowing some details such as temperature, I would say glass-lined.

In reply to #1

Re: internal coating for sulfuric acid storage tank!

09/09/2010 7:41 AM

Hello

I am researching for concentrated sulfuric acid corrosion.I want a text ebout "efect of tempreture in sulfuric acid corrosion. the tempreture is about 80-120 "C .

I want a text about internal coating tank for H2so4 .

can you help me? If you can ,please sent these text to my E.mail.

My e.mail is mohsen_17b@yahoo.com

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

Re: Internal Coating for Sulfuric Acid Storage Tank!

01/16/2008 11:41 PM

Your one word answer is: RUBBER.

In reply to #2

01/17/2008 12:23 AM

there are many ways, you use PVC plastic, teflon or viton rubber coatings.

which ever is available.

In reply to #3

01/17/2008 1:09 AM

The painting company I used to work for used Bitchmastic..

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

01/17/2008 1:46 AM

The stadard material of construction for 70% Sulphuric Acid storage tank is Lead lined Carbon Steel. I have found this used in running Chemical Plants in the past.

But it is also possible to use HDPE or PVC in the present age of other more versatile materials. These materials will not react with H2SO4.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #5

01/17/2008 8:04 AM

I used to work for a large lead acid batttery manufacturer. They used fiberglass tanks. You could see the fibers through the tank.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

01/17/2008 9:57 AM

http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/chemcomp.asp

Advice may also be obtained from local suppliers of this material, as they will be up-to-speed on best practice.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

01/17/2008 4:21 PM

What is the tank made of may not need to be lined.

Good Answers: 1

01/17/2008 5:54 PM

FEP ( a form of Teflon fluoropolymer ) is often used for lining of tanks with highly corrosive materials.

The liner is a thick FEP fim , perhaps .125 inches thick, bonded to a knitted fiberglass fabric. The knitted fabric is used to adhesively bond the material to the tank wall. The two layer material , sometimes called Armalon uses a knitted fabric so it can be stretched to fit any contour of the tank . After the adhesive bonding , the FEP joints between sheets of Armalon are thermally welded together to form a seamless lining of FEP Teflon.

This installation is usuall done by a trained crew...not a do it yourself job.

this is a European company, but I am quite sure that they have a US agent (who installs)

Note that FEP is a generic name for a fluoropolymer. If DuPont makes it they call it FEP Teflon. Other companies make FEP but they cannot use the Teflon trade name

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

01/20/2008 4:58 AM

Donot coat the internal shell and the internal upper bottom of the Sulphuric Tank with any coating, but instead use an electrochemical technique for Anodic Protection of the tank internally, forming a passive film inside which in turn protects the tank from corroding from inside in the presence of concentrated H2SO4. This technique is also termed as Anotection.
T.A.Abbasi
Manager Technical & Corrosion
G.S.P

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Participant

01/17/2008 6:34 PM

If I am not mistaken, LEAD is used for as a internal liner for large sulphuric acid containers. Lead Acid Battery manufacturers could confirm if this is true.

Enermaxx

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

01/18/2008 7:56 AM

Tanks made of Fibre-glass Reinforced Plastic ( FRP) can also be used provided the tank size is not too big. This material has fibre-glass net embedded in Epoxy resin and is used extensively in many chemical industries for ducts carrying corrosive vapors and also for smaller tanks to store corrosive liquids.

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

Location: Christchurch, (The Garden City), South Island, New Zealand
Good Answers: 229

01/19/2008 5:35 AM

Hello adolive

We seem to be covering old ground here.

Please look at: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/16138/Material-of-construction-for-Sulphuric-acid-storage-tank

Kind Regards....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); autozam (1); enermaxx (1); FKIA (1); kasharma (2); ozzb (1); phoenix911 (1); PWSlack (1); senator46 (1); Sparkstation (1)

Previous in Forum: LABORATORIES   Next in Forum: Anti gravity Emitters
You might be interested in: Lead Acid Batteries, Coating Services

Advertisement