Previous in Forum: Need Collar Suggestion   Next in Forum: Boiler Questions
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 21

Centrifugal Pump Start

04/10/2008 2:04 AM

Dear All

In the most operation manual of vendors are stated the following activities to be done while start a simple centrifugal pump. Assume the commissioning activities have been carried out.

1. check for bearing lubrication- observe oil level in bearing housing.
  2. check the gland lubrication supply is turned on
  3. prime the pump
  4. open wide the suction valve
  5. crack open the discharge valve
  6. start the pump
  7. open the discharge valve.

The centrifugal pump is started against a closed discharge valve as load on the motor is reduced, but only for a few moments.

The indicated above rules are stated without to specifying if the header is pressurized or not. I am agree if the header has not pressure to start the pump with the discharge valve close. But if the header or discharge line is pressurized, assume we start the stand by pump and the main is in operation, how to perform this start? With the discharge valve fully open or does not matter? What about motor load when the discharge header is pressurized? Will be electrical load affected or not?

My opinion is possible to start the centrifugal pump with discharge valve fully open if the discharge header has normal operation pressure. The stand by pump will go direct to operation point of pump curve.

Please post your comments

Best Regards and thanks to all

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

Re: Centrifugal pump start

04/10/2008 3:01 AM

I would add the word gradually to point 7.

The pressure in the system depends on the static and friction. Therefore when the second pump is started the pressure will be lower than the combined head and each pump will delver more water than designed for and consume more power. The excessive flow will cause a rapid rise in pressure as the surge progress through the piping and even water hammer.

Note that 2 pumps deliver at a higher pressure but each pump delivers less than for a single pump at the lower pressure.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

In reply to #1

04/10/2008 4:19 AM

OK, thank you for reply. One more detail, after stand by pump starting the main will be stopped. The process requires same constant flow. So, could be starded the stand by pump with fully open discharge valve? What is the impact of pump curve against system curve, also the electrical motor load is affected or not?

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

In reply to #2

04/10/2008 6:02 AM

Keeping the flow constant would require a constant pressure in the discharge system.

I would attempt to open and close simultaneously. (Automating this should be a nice project for a student using a micro controller, steppers and pressure sensors)

Power requirements:

Starting the second pump (closed valve) will increase total requirements.

As the load is switched both pumps will work at a lower efficiency and the total requirements will stay higher until the first motor is stopped.

If controlled the load on each motor wont exceed the running load. (starting current excluded)

This will have to be checked against the characteristics of the units.

To get back to your original question. Maybe CR4 should speculate on the question of switching on the second pump with an open valve and switching off the first pump t seconds later. Fine timing but why not?

Are your pumps of the same size? There are members saying mixing cannot be done but it has been done. After all the pump only see pressure in front of it and not the source of that pressure.

In reply to #3

04/10/2008 6:38 AM

Of course, we are talking about centrifugal pumps from a refinery, same size for main and stand by pump.

More it was a general question of centrifugal pumps start. And what generated my question?

During the last turnaround of my refinery some main position of pumps have been replaced with new ones. Every vendor sent us an operation manual of each pump. As we said before the most recomendations are in same presentation like above.

And for one (for the reason you know we do not discuss about the vendor name ) what was found in manual?

Situation 1: start up with non-pressurized system

- close shut-of valve in the discharge pipe ( minimum flow must be guaranteed );

- start driver and bring the pump rotor immediately to operating speed;

- open discharge valve slowly, until the differntial pressure drops to the value given on the data sheet.

Situation 2: start-up with pressurised system ( precondition is non-return valve in discharge system )

- start driver with open discharge valve and bring the pump rotor immediately to operating speed.

Finish the manual notes.

The pump presented has been started with open discharge valve without to affect anything. And one more thing, on the discharge line it is located a regulator valve to keep constant the flow never mind if are operating main and stand by pump at same time while you change the pumps.

It is possible to apply this rule for all centrifugal pumps or the mentioned vendor selected the power motor in a manner to cover the peak load of starting moment?

In reply to #4

04/10/2008 7:30 AM

I should have asked about the type of pumping and replied thinking of irrigation or bulk water supply. More pumps are started as the flow requirements increase. therefore flow regulators on the discharge side is not used.

I agree that it may work at a refinery.

The non return will operate as a closed valve until pressure is high enough to open the valve.

As soon as the valve opens the pressure will increase because of the flow regulator.

The additional pressure will reduce the flow on the first pump. They will at some stage each deliver 1/2 of the flow at a higher pressure.

Your power requirement for a pumps during switchover should be less than running power.

What do you use for a flow controller?

I would still not do it on irrigation pumps.

In reply to #5

04/10/2008 8:03 AM

Usually in use are pneumatic actuated valve regulators. Normal procedure is to tune the regulator to the desired flow and the regulator will keep the flow value in range limit operating with one pump or both pumps when it is planned any action for stopped pump.

Good Answers: 19

Re: Centrifugal Pump Start

04/11/2008 12:30 AM

Have you installed a Non Return Valve on the discharge outlet of your pumps?

If not, install one and start pump with discharge valve fully open.

In reply to #7

04/11/2008 1:02 AM

For all pumps are installed check valves on discharge line.

Power-User

Good Answers: 9

04/11/2008 9:24 AM

May I weigh in on this conversation? Given all the information that I have read thus far, I would conclude that you may, indeed, operate the pump with a fully open discharge valve because the discharge line will be held full by virtue of the installed check valves. The theory behind slowly opening the discharge valve is that if the line is empty and the discharge valve is open, the pump will see no immediate discharge head (pressure). Therefore, it will pump to its fullest capacity and require the highest amount of power to accomplish this. The closing of the discharge valve causes the pump to see a false head and, therefore, move to the left on its characteristic curve and use less power. As the valve is opened, the discharge line begins to fill and the head is established when the line is full. Often you will see an engineer's specification for this type of pump say that the pump " shall be non-overloading at any point on its curve." That means that the selected motor has sufficient horsepower to operate the pump without fear of overloading from the closed valve to the fully open valve and at any head condition on the system head curve. Go ahead and start the pump with the valve open. It is always good practice to monitor the amp draw during this procedure. If the amps are exceeding the nameplate horsepower of the pump motor, close the valve to get it in line and continue your start-up. The reason the manufacturers suggest the closed valve and gradual opening is for those who are not familiar with these pumps. It is more or less a fail safe.

04/11/2008 10:26 AM

Before any of the mentioned items, suggest you verify the direction of pump rotation, and verify you have liquid to the pump.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

04/11/2008 11:53 AM

I would assume that pump rotation was verified and corrected prior to commisioning the pump (especially in a refinery environment).

Starting a pump with discharge open or closed is a situation where "It depends" is the answer. As Hendrik and Aurel have noted in their discussion, with no back pressure a pump should be starting with the valve cracked open, with sufficient back pressure and checkvalve, it may be started with discharge closed. Very good discussion and comments to outline when and why the discharge conditions should be reviewed to control a pump start requirement.

07/27/2008 3:46 PM

PLEASE GIVE ME A CLEAR INFORMATION ABOUT THE HIGH CAPACITY CRNTRIFUGAL PUMPS.IS IT ADVAISABLE TO START A HIGH CAPACITY CENTRIFUGAL PUMP BY CLOSING DISCHARGE VALVE,AND WHAR ARE THE PROBLEMS OCCUR.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

07/28/2008 5:40 AM

Capital Means - YOU ARE SHOUTING AT US

TO START A HIGH CAPACITY CENTRIFUGAL PUMP . What Pump? What Capacity? What Head or Pressure?

09/13/2008 8:22 PM

some of the centrifugal pump not having discharge value only NRV and control value

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

12/01/2010 9:01 PM

i would like to know if for example about the centrifugal pump when it is running and the delivery valve is fully closed thus the pressure inside of the pump will increase or not?is there any pressure accumulate in the pump in this procedure?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)

Good Answers: 3

08/02/2011 11:33 PM

To answer your question we have to look at the two starting conditions for the pump.

1. Pump running at the EOC

2. Pump start up against the pressurised header (more relavent to the parallel operation & starting of stand by pump on low pressure signal from the discharge header)

Look at the case-1 here typically one can say that when working pump is tripped stand by pump should come online automatically. In such a case pump will run at EOC (not exactly at EOC but you can say close to EOC) momentorily which require enough motor power to take care of the power at EOC.

Now consider the case -2 pumps running in parallel operation. in the start up case when one pump running the discharge header (pressurised header) will be at the rated discharge pressure. the same will act on the second pump & stand by pump (even though NRV is located at the discharge of the pump; from process safety point of view NRV is not considered as safe isolation medium).

Now when we try to start second pump it will have to overcome the back pressure & then it wil take to it's rated speed. to overcome the back pressure motor has to exert higher torque at the start up. that is why we always ask for the superimposed TS curve for pump & motor. You can say the condition as starting against the load.

The same condition exist in normal running condition that when the discharge header pressure is low the stand by pump will come on line which shall have higher stating torque.

So EOC is going with the power & open disharge valve condition goes with the higher starting torque of the motor (refer attached curves which clearly specifies higher starting torque requirement for open discharge valve condition).

In all in the design stage itself designer has to speify whether the pump shall run at EOC or start against the open discharge valve or shall be suitable for both.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 64

02/01/2013 11:08 AM

Dear Mr. Aurel mares,

Pt. No.5 in your posting,- I do not suggest to crack open the discharge valve, before starting, since DISCHARGE VALVE SHOULD BE KEPT CLOSE at the time of starting of the pump.

After pump reaches rated speed/ changing to Delta Connection THEN ONLY discharge VALVE TO BE OPENED.

Otherwise, crack opening of discharge valve will allow small discharge and it will add additional load to the motor and the starting current will be more than normal, thermal relay or over load relay may trip etc.,etc.

DHAYANANDHAN.S

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 17 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); AUREL MARES (4); AYP (1); dhayanandhan (1); ducon (2); Hendrik (3); Ried (1); The Commoner (1)

Previous in Forum: Need Collar Suggestion   Next in Forum: Boiler Questions

Advertisement