Previous in Forum: Adding Panama to the Country Index   Next in Forum: I just wanted to say, "Thanks."
Close
Close
Close
53 comments
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Plea for More Self-Edit Flexibility

04/24/2008 6:56 PM

Dear CR4 team,

Please can I/we have a bit more flexibility on edits?

Sometimes I would dearly love to delete my post (within seconds of posting).

If this isn't reasonable or practical (even given, say, a 2-minute window), then I'd really like to be able to mark my own post "off-topic" (with a score of 5 OT).

I often fire a comment off which either I should have not posted (due to delirium, distraction, tiredness, (occasionally, but rarely, anger) etc), or which I should have marked OT, but forgot to check the box.

Any chance of either or both of these, pretty please?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 45

Re: Plea for more self-edit flexibility

04/25/2008 8:30 AM

Yes, good point John, I've been guilty of that.... but at least the 15 minutes give you time to think and remove the wording which might offend etc...?

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Next to the Prime Merridian (51°29'34.50"N 0°13'32.85"W)
Good Answers: 1
In reply to #1

04/26/2008 3:01 AM

I fully agree with you both.

It happened to me also a few times and after I thought I'd better not to make any immediate remark, response...so on.

It seems they've got the message already.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #1

04/26/2008 12:32 PM

Me Too! Thinking at the time "That was a dumb stupid answer!"

Bill

Register to Reply
Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35

Re: Plea for More Self-Edit Flexibility

04/25/2008 9:08 AM

Hi JohnDG,

We'll take a look into this. Our software architect is on vacation through most of next week, but when he gets back we'll see what improvements we can meake.

- Chris

04/25/2008 10:51 PM

Rule #1 in posting: Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouse in motion

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

04/28/2008 4:07 PM
Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

04/25/2008 11:09 PM

JohnDG

Amen--I've opened a discussion==Got my answer--Replied with thanks and still got 100 more replies I felt I needed to answer . I know that's not what your after, but like my situation I can't figure out (or get a reply from CR4) on how to terminate the discussion to save everyone a lot of time .

donzi

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

04/26/2008 1:44 AM

While I have been guilty of submitting comments that I might have thought better of...it really shouldn't be all that difficult to review your post before you post it. Stupidity is as Stupidity does...(Forest Gump ... paraphrased). If you can't figure out what you're trying to say, then just don't say it....or take your lumps and explain your stupidity afterwards.

Does the rest of the world owe you the the ability to edit your stupidity? No, we don't. We amuse ourselves in it. You have to learn to let it flow and then be able to account for it. It will teach you to consider the comments you make. And live with the consequences. Man up, and hold your views instead of spouting shite and apologizing afterwards.

Learn to think before you speak, or at least be able to defend the drivel you spew.

"Ohhh, I wanna do over....he said as the bullet split his skull..." Should have ducked first.

Whining about not being able to take back your words smacks of cowardice. Try typing what you mean instead of letting your ignorant self lead. If you can't control what you type, what makes you think that your posts are not honest (abet probably stupid). Be true to yourself, and don't post them before you think you have best represented yourself. Stupidity cannot be regulated...every time something is made idiot-proof...along come better idiots.

If you screw up...Man up...appologise or correct yourself as appropriate and move on. If you don't think you can screw up, then you are an idiot and shouldn't be asking questions other than "Can I have More Gruel".

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #5

04/26/2008 11:06 AM

g a 2 u, Tom,

Think twice, post once.

Good Answers: 11

04/26/2008 4:03 AM

I've made stupid posts I have wanted to remove, and was going to support John, but Tom is right. If you've said it, you've said it, and if I respond to a stupid comment which is then edited to make sense, I then look stupid, when I am not, and the original poster doesn't, which he/she is.

Donzi's point that when he has the information he wants, the thread should shut, is also wrong. This is a community, and threads that start as "how do I solve this specific problem, in my specific and personal job" expand into who knows what. I am looking at a question posted on reflective materials for desert based solar power gatherers, but I have one answer to my question on reflective materials for children and horses on the roads.

If Donzi has got a specific answer to a specific question, the payment is answering the rest of us weirdos who have taken his original question somewhere different, and he may still learn an answer to a question he hadn't yet thought of asking.

If everyone thinks this comment makes me look stupid, can I change it to an intelligent one?

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #7

04/26/2008 4:54 AM

most bulletin boards allow deletion and change without limit. This is the first one I have found with a 15 minute window and I have to wonder why have a window at all. Why not allow unlimited edits?

Some blogs are cast in stone from the moment you post it, again, this is wrong. My main reason is correction of typos as I am so busy I dash off comments that often have 3-4 typos in them.

are they trying to avoid revisionists? I doubt it as errors are usually quoted in stone if egregious enough by others.

In reply to #8

04/26/2008 8:10 PM

Those bulletin board I've seen will add information that the post has been edited as of such and such a time and date. This can be seen as being a way, without engendering controversy, of letting readers know that someone has changed or retracted a point. So, indeed, there are possibilities that go beyond the "15 minute no-escape" clause.

Just a thought.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

In reply to #22

04/26/2008 8:15 PM

true, some do offer that option. Must be a choice in the forum sofware as to what to allow, as here.

In reply to #23

04/27/2008 4:44 AM

I didn't mean as a user option. If a previously edited posting is edited by its user, then the edited (rewrite) version is then published, but the service adds a footnote (such as): This message was last edited by [screen name] at xxxx hrs on [day], [date].

CA (in a hurry)

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

04/26/2008 5:03 AM

tomkaighin and saddlechariot, I accept the point that one should think through, check and re-check one's post before submitting it, but sometimes a goof just still gets through.

You both seem to be saying that the existing edit facility should be scrapped - maybe there should be a CR4 poll on that. All I'm asking for is more flexibility on a facility that's already there.

In particular, I'd like the ability to mark my own posts OT (with 5 points), for those occasions when I've foolishly neglected to do it on first posting, and when I feel it would benefit the readability of the thread by not wasting screen-space with an aside.

I also agree that donzi should not be too put out by additional replies, deviations, meanderings etc. - it's easy enough to unsubscribe from a thread.

In reply to #9

04/26/2008 7:25 AM

saddlechariot

I'm not "put out" , I'd just like to knpw how to terminate a thread besides unsubscribing from it--if thats possible?

People got other things to do with their time (even engineers) than to persue a "dead" thread--even though I sincerly appreciate everyone's participation and ideas.

Donzi

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #10

04/26/2008 7:59 AM

Donzi, maybe if the thread founder could put a "thanks folks, you've answered my specific question" post, directly under the initial question, that would solve that problem without terminating all the other directions the thread may have gone in.

This would be fair to those who were just trying to help you personally, fair to you and would still allow threads to stretch wherever people want to take them.

Simon

In reply to #11

04/26/2008 9:07 AM

I agree with Simon. Once an appropriate answer is received by the poster, he/she can request to close the thread saying , Thanks I got the answer.

Once I got the answer to how to get the panes stamps out of the glue, mean unstick the pains, I thanked all by names and the thread was closed. No one after that replied and went on to the other threads.

I posted few answers which were not very much liked by few participants. I came back and explained and many people came back and praised my later responses.

I think, the poster loses interest once he/she gets the answer and then why to let other waste their precious time.

I know my response, this one, may not be liked by many of you but this is what my humble opionion is.

Regards;

Nadeem

In reply to #13

04/26/2008 10:01 AM

Nadeem, nearly wrote a stroppy reply and then actually read what you had said, and you are right, the poster can request to close the thread, and then feel free to ignore further comments. But if others wish to continue the discussion, they also have a perfect right to continue, and cannot expect the original poster to stay involved. As Tom says, once you push the post button, it is no longer yours. Allowing the original poster a slot to say, thanks, I've got all I need would be an additional bonus without in any way limiting anyone else.

Any chance admin?

In reply to #15

04/26/2008 10:45 AM

You are right.

I have seen some threads go in another direstion but still amusing and informative. Some times I chuckle and some times laughter breaks out. It is entertainment in diguise of the information or they both are intertwined. I got and still get so much out of these threads although I do not participate in all of them but selected ones. I just read the others and learn. Just like listen and learn.

Regards;

Nadeem

In reply to #15

04/26/2008 10:47 AM

Sorry. I replied to you, Saddlechariot, but addressed you as Simon.

My humble apologies.

Regards;

Nadeem

Power-User
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #10

About threads ... and editing

04/26/2008 9:00 AM

Ah, I think what people are trying to tell you donzi, and you aren't hearing... is: once you press the POST button on a post, it stops being ALL yours and becomes a part of everyone's whom read it or reply to it.

Like others have posted in this thread, there may (or may not) be answers given to things another reader of the thread was wondering, all because we all don't "see" the question in the "same" way.

I have noticed this, and many others have too. I have noticed it in threads I have started; that NONE of the repliers to some of my threads "see" what I was asking. They "see" the question I asked as me asking something else. Who is at fault there? ME of course, for being too stupid to figure out how to ask my question clearly so most reading the thread can understand what I am asking/saying.

Getting back to the first part of my post... question for you: WHY does it bother you, WHY do you keep coming back to the (your or someone elses) thread once you have received your answer? Yes, some forums CLOSE threads after something happens (a reply is given, a certain amount of time has elapsed, etc) but we ALL have to remember, on THIS forum (and others too, of course) one thing:

MANY on here (CR4) use the forums as an entertainment function TOO. MANY of us have laughed and laughed at answers given on CR4 (and cried too, over some of the stupid ones, and had the urge to kill over others) and need to remember, that for some, few or many, CR4 serves as a gathering place of friends, much as a reunion does, whether it be a class, school, family (in this case, our CR4 family of friends) or any other kind of group.

And hanging out on CR4, to me, is MUCH better for someone, rather than have them hanging out on a bar stool somewhere.

If threads were to be terminated, CR4 would become just another place to (try?) to get an answer to a question and many (I'm guessing) of the members on here now, would (again) try to find a forum where the threads are NOT terminated, that DO let users keep putting in their 2 cents worth and that is one of the main things that makes CR4 such a great place.

ALL of us need to remember, CR4 is NOT just one thing. It is MANY different things to many different people/users. When we become a member of a community like CR4 is, we need to learn (as stupid as that seems) that all of us don't think the same, that if we receive the answer we were looking for in the first reply, then, that was/is great!

But we need to learn then, the thread is NOT ours anymore, that a hundred people CAN leave replies, some of them not even relating to the original question... and most, if not all, of THOSE replies in the thread (that you had happened to start, and once you pushed the POST button, it became EVERYONES thread) served a purpose for all those different posters.

Who are we, to take others enjoyment away, as little of it there is in the world today?

We all DO have the power to terminate a thread already. It is called DELETE instead of POST.

Then you think; how do I get an answer to my question then? Then your choice becomes hitting the unsubscribe button and not causing yourself aggravation by keeping going back to the thread where users/people are still enjoying themselves which you had started.

You say:"People got other things to do with their time..."

Ah, "those" people ARE in THAT thread... because that IS what they wish to be doing with THEIR (not yours, not anyone elses, but THEIRS) time. It is not up to you, me, or anyone else to (try to) tell users/people; don't be leaving anymore replies in this thread, because "I" don't want you to.

Without a limit on editing of a post, would tend to make users/people irate I would think, since a user/person could go change their post to make another user/persons post look stupid(er?). And if that user/person never came back to that thread, where someone had made their reply look stupid, they, over a period of time, may begin to wonder why everyone is looking at them like they are an idiot, little do they know that it is others who are making them look stupid. A time limit on posts goes a long ways in preventing that from happening. It keeps a person from having to constantly keep checking their posts to see if someone has made their post look "stupid".

I think CR4 is ran pretty well, and serves it's "family" of friends many enjoyable hours.

I enjoy it, the way it is, IS acceptable to "me"... so... I remain a member.

Ken

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Power-User

In reply to #12

Re: About threads ... and editing

04/26/2008 9:11 AM

Quite agree Ken. It is a community, and always will be, I hope.

Simon

United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #12

04/26/2008 10:09 AM

g a 2 U Mr C, Great answer, top to bottom.

Also,

You said:

"I would think, since a user/person could go change their post to make another user/persons post look stupid(er?)."

That's exactly why CR4 has the 15 min to edit function.

Ounce you get your answer, say thanks, but realize that other members can still have fun with it. Some threads take on a life of their own, and can drift far from the original post. I call this entertainment.

In reply to #16

04/26/2008 10:43 AM

"I would think, since a user/person could go change their post to make another user/persons post look stupid(er?)."

That's exactly why CR4 has the 15 min to edit function.

If I was moderator and someone here did that in a malevolant vein, I would use the moderator stick as needed

In reply to #12

04/28/2008 7:36 PM

In fact is can even waste time better spent doing other things; or is it just I?

Register to Reply
Power-User
Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 5

04/26/2008 11:41 PM

Very interesting responses. I agree that if a poster states that he/she has received the answer wanted, that they may move on to other pursuits and feel no responsibility to return to the thread. I also agree that some threads do take on a life of their own and provide valuable knowledge or just plain old entertainment. My opinion is that CR4 is fantastic just as it exists. I wouldn't change anything. Here you have the best minds from every country on earth coming together to solve problems without being paid. Helping their fellow earthlings (and a few of us extraterrestrials) And even sometimes having a jolly old fun time doing it. Most other forums are filled with hate, anger, rage, profanity, etc. This is the best darn forum around. So maybe it's not absolutly perfect but then neither are any of us. (Well maybe one or two of you)

Thanks so much for all the great knowledge, help, and fun.

Richard

Anonymous Poster

04/27/2008 4:27 AM

Self edit flexibility? Editing, by its very nature, is correcting copy before publication, not deleting the publication—in that sense editing and flexibility just don't add together.

In edited publishing the means to correct error or misstatement is by secondarily publishing an erratum...more specifically, a cor·ri·gen·da.

Perhaps the board encoders could facilitate such a process at that.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #25

04/27/2008 4:32 AM

Before: In edited publishing the means to correct error or misstatement is by secondarily publishing an erratum...more specifically, a cor·ri·gen·da.

Now: In publishing the editorial means to correct error or misstatement is by secondarily publishing an erratum...more specifically, a cor·ri·gen·da.

[See?]

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

04/27/2008 6:11 AM

"...more specifically, a cor·ri·gen·da."

Shouldn't that be just plain old "correction"? According to the OED, a corrigendum (pl. -da) is "something to be corrected".

In reply to #28

04/28/2008 5:52 AM

The word, correction, would probably suffice in many instances...where the publisher (and writers employed by publisher) is (are) not afraid to openly admit error—that something needs correcting. But sometimes it's convenient (in a self-serving way) to use the other terms as a way to save face by embellishment, don't you see!

My posts were with specific reference to publishing standards and practices. In the (corrigenda) example given, note that both the "correction" and the "thing needing correction" were provided by this writer & publisher (along with CR4). The fine point of distinction would be that errata need not restate what was before (what needed correcting)...discovering that being up to the purchaser/customer (for whom it is assumed such information is immaterial after the correction (emending, amending,...)has been provided.

The usual purpose of either, typically centers on who pays; which is to say, issuing an erratum/corrigendum avoids, at publisher's expense, the need to negotiate a re-release which generally would be at customer's expense. Of course, this will apply predominantly to loose-bound publications such as ring or comb bound manuals and such...where a page with erratum can simply be inserted, or a page with corrigendum can simply replace another. Hard bound publications are another matter due to the far greater expense for reprinting and rebinding. (I can recall one instance where a publisher actually footed the cost of an entire replacement volume (printing) just to provide errata on two pages, but I'm sure that would constitute a rare event...and that it had mostly to do, not with publisher good will but, with the (engineeering, business, academic) prestige of the volume's author, Norman Augustine.

In this country (USA), probably there as well, the terms are often used interchangeably...or erratum used in all instances. In my experience this appears to be due mostly to the difficulty of even remembering the term, errata, much less corrigenda. It's one of those words that seems so often to be on the tip of the tongue just out of memory's reach. I'd also guess people in the pub's workplace might be hesitant to mention "errata" aloud because of its similar sound to sexier unrelated words.

Anyway, how about the idea for the CR4 service/processor ascribing a term (a banner) such as errata within posts which, at writer volition, have been edited after first submission for publication. Since CR4 is essentially a "loose-bound" publication, the concept would fit right in, don't you think?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #30

04/28/2008 8:18 AM

I'd agree that that seems like a good solution for what may be called 'major' corrections and additions, but it would all get rather messy for corrections of typos etc. Maybe they could be shown in line with the text, but with the original shown wiht1 with strikethrough, or perhaps a coloured font (and perhaps a timestamp as a footnote).

But maybe I'm getting too fanciful?

1 13:19

In reply to #32

04/28/2008 8:33 AM

Do typos matter? If they offend you in your own work, check it, if not relax. But any edit after a response means the response needs to be edited and so on ad infinitum. There are a lot of jokes on CR4 that specifically refer to typos, but if you can go back and edit typos, you ruin the joke, and jokes are more important than typos.

You choose to put it up or not. Live with your decisions.

Simon

In reply to #33

04/28/2008 9:54 AM

I do check my own posts (usually!) - I was looking for a solution for those like aurizon (see #8) - which would allow changes/corrections/additions, without concealing them, while allowing for typo corrections without cluttering up the post too much.

This would mean that jokes made at the expense of a poster making a typo would still work, as the original spelling would still be visible (albeit with strikethrough), and it could be seen from the timestamp that the correction was made after the joke/punchline was posted.

In reply to #26

04/27/2008 7:02 AM

No wish to be pedantic but corrigenda is the plural, so an erratum requires a corrigendum. Fowler's Modern English Usage notes that the plural is far commoner, but that is because errors, like policemen and buses, tend to travel in groups.

Of course the erratum will be obvious to all, and here is the corrigendum, if I didn't wish to be pedantic, why am I choosing to act like a pedant?

Tangents rule OK.

Simon

In reply to #29

04/28/2008 6:03 AM

Pedantic is fine.

The errors of agreement were intentional so that if, as I anticipated, others issued errata for me in reply, I could take satisfaction in the posts having been, both, scrutinized and educationally informative. I appreciate, as well, the "erratic" (?) tack you took.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Active Contributor

04/28/2008 9:20 AM

I see two distinct issues here:

1. The ability to correct a blunder / oops correction

2. The ability to stop the flow of answers coming through ones e-mail.

While some might want to go back and edit the original statement. As with any social interaction, once spoken (written) a statement can't be taken back. One needs to step up to the plate and via a new post admit temporary insanity and make the correction and or rephrase the post and if necessary apologize.

On the second issue, I think these posts can sometimes get a life of there own; as can be seen here. I would think that the easiest thing to do for the original poster once he / she received the info they wanted would be to un-subscribe, and leave the discussion to the rest of the group...

just my 2 cents..

Location: Earth. England/America -the birthplace of the C. S. A. - anywhere I imagine -home.
Good Answers: 33

04/28/2008 9:31 AM

We all have foot in mouth problems and it would be nice to be able to edit or at least go back and add something to a post. And it should be clearly shown as an edit or added comment so no one else looks foolish Leave the original words in place even, just in gray letters and have what is meant to be said in black.

Anyone can be posting late at night, after a hard day and a fight with the teenager [we never fight with spouses] and get short or carried away. Let us at least go back and add what we should have said. There would be fewer hurt feelings.

In reply to #35

04/28/2008 10:05 AM

Well said.

04/28/2008 5:24 PM

The fact that these boards have the spell check and review features that set it apart from many others', .... do we really want to featurize CR4 into oblivion? There is enough of stuff that really is of no consequence here as it is. Why build in more?

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #39

04/28/2008 7:31 PM

Why build in more? It's obvious, you've just ruined my business plan to sell an auto post post edit package that works out when you look like prat and rewrites all your posts so you look great. If you will edit out your last comment, I'll split the take on selling my post post editing package.

Simon

In reply to #40

04/29/2008 3:01 AM

The fact that these boards have the spell check and review features that set it apart from many others', .... do we really want to featurize CR4 into oblivion? There is enough of stuff that really is of no consequence here as it is. Why build in more?

What I meant to say was, why didn't someone think of that before? 'fact I know this guy who...well never mind that for now.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

04/28/2008 7:49 PM

Not a bad idea, but...but haven't you noticed how, with web sites it's often the case, that the more you try to "fix" things just for the sake of fixing, the more the site "improves" to the point at which it, eventually, becomes unfixably unusable?

Some things don't really matter--flubs being one such thing. If it's something quickly forgotten--such as misstatements on CR4--why bother fixing it? You'd as quickly forget that it was fixed as you would that it ever needed fixing.

Short answer: Leave it comfortably, predictably, and usably broken.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

In reply to #42

04/29/2008 2:33 AM

Short answer: Leave it comfortably, predictably, and usably broken.

YES

Simon

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #42

04/29/2008 11:40 AM

Yes! That is EXACTLY what CR4 needs. To acquire a reputation as a forum where people do NOT care if what is said in the forums is true or not (BS). Leave the "flubs" and wrong info there, since only senile people are on CR4 and they forget the "wrong" stuff as soon as they go to the next post, if not sooner.

How sad that people today, and worse yet, on a forum like CR4, think it is okay to not even use the spell check and proof read their post preview BEFORE pressing POST. What's the excuse? Going to die in 5 minutes? Can't take the time? Or just too lazy? Too stupid? Ooops, people do NOT like that word!

Does/did your boss as you go/went through life, say:"Doesn't matter if you put the wrong numbers words in/on the report/tech sheet/order form, who cares."

That sure doesn't happen at my business, I am continuously (it seems) begging my employees to pay attention to their spelling and grammar. I do NOT want customers coming into my shop and shortly thinking:"Boy, he sure has a couple stupids working for him." or "How stupid is he, to let his employees do that."

We ARE on stage EVERYTIME we push the POST button. You say:"Who cares?"

Well, I care. You should too. This forum is read all over the world. If that is the kind of impression you wish to make on visitors to the forums, that CR4 includes many who are too lazy or stupid (ouch! that word again) to use the spell check and proof their post BEFORE posting it... I guess that is the way it is then, isn't it.

If you/we/me are sloppy in our posts, that DOES carry over into what is though of your/mine/our answers about "serious" stuff.

Why is the world in such sad shape that we all seem to complain about it? Ahhh, it is helped along by everyone who doesn't care if their post doesn't get spell checked and proofed before posting.

Do we want to look like a bunch of stupids to the world? Guess it is up to each one of us, isn't it.

Maybe I look stupid for caring, but I wish more of the members on here did (care). That CR4 could be looked at as a board where the members take pride in their posts, spelling (hey, how hard is it to click the button?) and grammar that they show the whole world.

This post isn't aimed at anyone in particular, it is just how I see the forum sadly degraded.

And don't kid yourself, I am sure it isn't only me on here, or any forum who thinks about leaving because members don't have enough pride in the "them" that they are showing the whole world that they do take the time to and proof... BEFORE posting.

Ken

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #45

04/29/2008 12:28 PM

Forgive me, Mr. Chevy:

I thought this place was for engineer's place and we only discussed engineering problems only. Then I found many interesting topics which had nothing to do with engineering and I participated in some and enjoyed so no complains.

Yes, you are right, we all should watch out for what we are writing and what we are saying. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

It is change of scenario when you pick up your head from engineering problems and come to this enlightened place call, CR4 and enjoy the discussions. By no means one wants to be stupid or sound like stupid. Yes, one can be silly and light hearted and that is the good point. Many times I laughed so hard and loud that the passer by stopped and asked me what I was reading so I showed them and they also enjoyed.

Although your message was a little bit harsh but made lot of sense and I for one will be more careful to run thru the spell check before I hit the post sign or submit after checking the text for accuracy. By the way, no offense taken by your letter. I would say it was rather helpful both here and work and social e-mails and I will remember the lesson I learnt here today. Thank you.

Thanks for the help.

Regards;

Nadeem

(P.S. I hope I did not make any mistake this time. I cheacked 3-4 times before submitting. I cannot run by spell check, some how.)

In reply to #46

04/29/2008 12:53 PM

Hello Nadeem,

It is just my view of life, we ALL have a different view of life. There can be lots of "fun" posts on here too, not just engineer type stuff. My post wasn't about that, it is about spelling and grammar (your spelling and grammar are fine!) and that doesn't have anything to do with the contents of the post (whether it be "fun" or engineer stuff).

Many WILL be offended by what I wrote. But some won't. That is just the way it is. I too, have laughed so hard I dang near cried over some of the posts on here.

We have it pretty easy with our editing and posting these days. If you want to laugh and laugh, watch this wav file of what happened when we went from using scrolls to using books to record things.

An IT pro back in the day!

We think we have problems teaching users to use the spell check, just think of trying to explain... ah, watch the movie, you'll understand. I've watched it 4 times and still laugh at the way us humans are.

Ken

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #47

04/29/2008 4:38 PM

In reply to #48

04/29/2008 5:33 PM

"ROFLMAO!

"

YES!! It DOES have that effect on a person, John!

All:

Here it is in a Zip file so it can be downloaded and shared with friends. Save to HDD so it can be e-mailed. How many of us have heard the "No, wait, wait, wait" before!

Editing back then would have been no fun I would think.

Yes, how many of us know people like portrayed in this movie when it comes to computers.

http://www.kensdms.com/it_pro.zip

It is a 3MB wmv file, in a Zip so it can be downloaded and not just played when a person clicks on the link. I don't know how to save a playing movie to the HDD in Windows Media Player. I feel really stupid, not knowing how to do that. MS probably has all kinds of reasons that option isn't included in WMP (at least I can't find that option) and probably has to do with money. Thus, the Zip file of the movie.

Yes, many of us come to CR4 for our daily entertainment too!

Ken

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #49

04/29/2008 7:13 PM

FYI, when I clicked on your original link in #47, I got this:

I clicked "Save", and saved to my HDD.

After the download, I located the file (It_pro.wmv) & clicked. Realplayer opened & played it.

It's still there on my HDD - I can play it whenever (or send it to friends as an attachment - it's just under the 3MB limit for my ISP)).

I use XP Home.

Thanks, Ken,

Regards, John.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

In reply to #49

04/29/2008 10:25 PM

I just copied it from the thread to the notebook, opened a new E-mail letter, plugged it in, and sent it to myself... and my wife... and my best friend...

It worked just fine on AOL.

Bill

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #45

04/29/2008 9:52 PM

No one would disagree with your idealistic objectives (objections?) but, just think...

Just think about what would be the case, if the original proposal to broaden re-editing or permit rescindment of posts had already been adopted, and when (if ever) you came to a realization, upon further reflection, that you essentially needed to rewrite most of what you just wrote in order to clarify it by also speaking to the practical realities that you had overlooked, whether inadvertently or by choice, at first writing.

Now multiply...by as many other participants who might be similarly inclined as relates to their own posts.

That said, it has been my experience with "boards of substance" (CR4 being no exception):

• That the better path of attaining to a high literary standard (and, from that, to better content "quality") lies not in technical fix-alls (such as by a distant programmer) but, instead, in the natural influences of group social interaction; and
  • That the initial entry and continuing presence of only a few able and conscientious writers such as yourself is sufficient to elevate, as well as sustain, a board's literary standard...
    • because all but the rudest of people find greater satisfaction and pleasure in reading well-written prose—and
    • because people are usually (sooner or later) motivated to avoid standing out as the sore thumb in any group, be it actual or virtual.

Good writing (proficient initial self editing) engenders good writing efforts in reply.

That said, would the incorporation of ostensibly unlimited technical re-edit capability (as proposed) prevent the within-described social dynamics from holding sway? Experience, again, teaches that it probably would not...primarily because most (in particular the more newly arrived) board participants will be prone to not using, or using only scarcely, the "technical" tools provided to them.

In closing, thank you to MrChevy for posting the response which Guest's post was calculated to attract.

Devils' Advocate (aka Guest)

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

04/30/2008 2:47 AM

Just edit it by inserting these words at the begining.

'Please disregard the following'
Or crossing through the offending text.
Blimey what a pillock posting another dumb question about editing posts...
(Just teasing John, BTW I like the animated Avatar)
Del

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (12); aurizon (3); BCT (1); Bricktop (2); Chris Leonard (1); CowAnon (1); Del the cat (1); donzi (2); Electroman (1); Isti80 (1); JohnDG (7); MrChevy (4); Nadeem0430 (4); saddlechariot (8); Sciesis2 (2); Taganan (1); Techart (1); tomkaighin (1)

Previous in Forum: Adding Panama to the Country Index   Next in Forum: I just wanted to say, "Thanks."

Advertisement