Previous in Forum: Use of Chitin & Derivatives   Next in Forum: Validation for premisis
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Anonymous Poster

muscles output

05/20/2008 4:26 PM

Hi-

I like to know if I am correct in my assumption that the total output of using both legs at once is much more than twice the output of using only one leg at time.Or if I lift a load of x kilos with one hand,by using 2 hands I will be able to lift much more that 2x kilos

According my experience it can be 5 times more !

Is it a result of some physiological law?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Re: muscles output

05/20/2008 7:39 PM

In biomechanics, it is necessary to specify the particular muscle(s) you are measuring before making or testing a claim like this. If you are simply lifting objects around the house, when you use both arms, you typically also use the back and possibly the buttocks. Try your test on a Nautilus type machine to see if what you say is true there.

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

05/21/2008 1:30 AM

Time plays a role in the work done by any action.

Double the force for half the time would be more or less the same as half the force double the time.

Therefore using 2 legs would be better if you need continues power, and using both together better if you need bursts of power.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

06/02/2008 5:52 AM

If lifting using a single leg, consider whether the lifting leg is also lifting the leg that isn't being used, as a deadweight. In this particular circumstance, lifting with 2 legs will be more than twice as effective as lifting with one. So it depends. Where is this thread going?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Hendrik (1); PWSlack (1); TVP45 (1)

Previous in Forum: Use of Chitin & Derivatives   Next in Forum: Validation for premisis

Advertisement