Previous in Forum: Global Warming Speed Bump. 50,000 Physicists Could be wrong?   Next in Forum: Carbon Steel Castings.
Close
Close
Close
11 comments

what is the initial moisture in sea water?

07/19/2008 9:59 PM

what is the initial moisture of sea water?and if the magnesium chloride powder is 98%pure what is the percentage of moisture in it?

Elhadi

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

Re: what is the initial moisture in sea water?

07/20/2008 3:45 AM

Your question is not clear but Mr Wiki may have the answer for you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_water

You should ask your supplier for a quote for 100% pure magnesium chloride. Is it really that critical?

In reply to #1

07/20/2008 7:09 AM

thank you Hendrick for the information and the advice.

I wish if I can have direct contact with you or at least your e mail address.

Eddie

alhodhod57@gmail.com

New York mobile # 646-765-5723

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

In reply to #2

07/20/2008 6:21 PM

Hi Eddie

I think your problem might be 2% Zinc or other similar metal chlorides. The removal of the last traces may be costly.

You must Analise your needs and it may be quite possible that 98% is good enough.

Sending a private message is easy. Click on my icon and you will notice a yellow envelope (top right).

Commentator

Good Answers: 10

07/21/2008 12:43 PM

Hendrik is correct that in the magnesium chloride powder the 2% impurities are other powdered trace chemicals and not water. The manufacturer can provide the impurity information to you. However, after the container has been opened, it will absorb water from the air. The amount of water in your powder sample will depend upon the exposure to air, the humidity of that air and how hygroscopic the powder is. You should be able to find information on the internet or in chemical tables to give you an idea of how much water the powder can/will absorb per gram. If it is critical for you to know exactly how much moisture is in your particular sample, you may just have to measure it. Typical procedure if you need to control water content is to use freshly opened containers so that you know it is dry or to dry the powder by forced evaporation or moisture absorbers before use.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

07/21/2008 3:33 PM

Hi Eddie

I am posting your private mail to me here so CR4's can help

"A nonprofitable company in the Sudan by the Red Sea is importing mgcl 98% pure to mix in a paste that includes fiber glass mgo + agricultural left overs to form panels and manufacture low cost prefabricated housing for poor and refugees including Darfor region . purchasing by hard currency + transport + custom and VAT makes their production very expensive and not practical. that is why they came up with this idea of producing mg cl locally , mean while I in New York don't know any thing about chemistry, was asked to help. I did not know how to deal with computers or search engines or not even how to write my name in it, but I 'll say I came along way to write you this message after finding out about CR4 and other things that I am still learning, like silico thermic plants and others.so I was able to contact a couple of manufacturers overseas(cheap) to find a way to produce the magnesium from sea water and their main questions were the initial and final moisture?

Hendrik, it took me three month of 10 hours a day on the computers to get to where I am today .so as you may have gathered by now I am not technical or bright guy.can you help me to help this company to get what they need ,in the most economical way possible please? thanks."

What you actually are asking in this post is the concentration of salts in the ocean next to Sudan. right?

What you really want to know is how to produce Mg Cl2 cheaply.

1) MgCO3 is a mineral also found in abundance in dolomitic areas. (I have some lying in my garden). If treated with HCL the result is

MgCl2 + CO2 + H2O. Unfortunately some ZnCO3 is also present.

2) In Namibia with sea water & in SA (pumped from below the surface where an ancient inland ocean left large deposits) the water is pumped into flat evaporation ponds. the water is allowed to evaporate and the salt is gathered with shovels. The concentration is about 90% sodium chloride, 9% MgCl2 and 1% other. (fat guess)

Can somebody suggest another combination of Sudan material for building houses?

In reply to #5

07/21/2008 4:23 PM

It might be worth considering rammed earth construction or you might consider local modifications of hay bale (covered in adobe or cement) construction. I am sure both types of construction can be found on the web.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #5

07/21/2008 6:49 PM

i can understand why they like the material. i am investigating it myself right now for dome home construction. it makes a light durable, hard, clean surface that is fireproof, waterproof, bug proof. i can see no way of building with this material that a home can be built for less than several thousand dollars. that is too much for any non profit to deal with to make housing for millions of poor people and refugees.

but to cut to the heart of the matter, they need to focus on building with available materials that can be had for free or really low cost. if i remember correctly, the building methods of choice there are mud, mud brick and wattle and daub. it might not be everyone elses first choice, but it is cheap. they also understand the technology involved.

one thing that might work with MOC is to use it as a thin spray coat over an existing mud dwelling. both outside and inside and over any roof that is there, except fiberglass or plastic. this could be done at very low costs. perhaps $100 to $200 per dwelling. but would need a shotcrete machine for easiest application. it would be possible to use other methods though. the material can be trowled on. a thin coat sets up in about an hour. a small mortar hopper sprayer and compressor could probably do the job. the hopper/sprayer would have to be cleaned religiously though.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #7

07/23/2008 2:13 AM

Hi Artbyjoe

I had a look at Sudan on Wiki - They have a wealth of resources. Gold , oil , gas, gypsum, desert, forests, swamps , the Nile . . .

They may have a lot of building material available on ther doorstep.

Sand (coarse & fine), Silt or clay (from the Nile area), wood etc from the forest, grass from the swamps, and portland cement using gypsum and labour.

What is their problem? If it is politics they better have a look at Zim. (Light in the Rob tunnel?)

In reply to #8

07/26/2008 2:00 AM

yes, part of their problem is politics, but also look up lake chad. it used to be a huge lake in central africa. many nations borderd it. it is now gone. so, everybody is squabbling, fighting, dying. it is a real mess. they are also trying to use ethnic-cleansing. Darfur is part of the sudan. it boils down to one race trying to drive another race out of their land. even though they have lived their for a very long time. one race is upset that it is not getting any of the wealth. the other race is trying to push them out so that they won't have to share the wealth.

bye.

Guru

In reply to #9

07/27/2008 8:57 AM

It is actually sad. they don't want to share wealth but are prepared to share poverty.

In reply to #10

07/27/2008 4:11 PM

so, did you look up a lake chad. you want to see a before and after. they say a picture is worth a thousand words, here it is true. millions of lives destroyed.

Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

alhodhod57@gmail.com (1); Anonymous Poster (1); artbyjoe (3); Hendrik (5); PhysicsProf (1)

Previous in Forum: Global Warming Speed Bump. 50,000 Physicists Could be wrong?   Next in Forum: Carbon Steel Castings.

Advertisement