Previous in Forum: M-fluied, miter bends and caulked joint   Next in Forum: adapter sleeve vs withdrawl sleeve
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Active Contributor

Alcohol Storage Tank

10/14/2008 5:59 PM

What should be the safety distance between Blended Alcohol Storage Tanks. The size of the storage tank is 100 cubic meters. The alcohol is used for liquor production.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Commentator
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member but not a new fisherman Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Location: Formerly from NJ USA Planet Earth. Relocated to Space Coast FL
Good Answers: 9

Re: Alcohol Storage Tank

10/15/2008 11:53 PM

kumskip

Drawing on my past oil refinery experience I really don't think distance between tanks is a major concern - oil refineries store huge quantities of highly volatile hydrocarbons in relatively close quarters. The issues I see are: #1 Is there a dike or containment wall around the tank to protect the area in the event of a spill? #2 Do you have an alarm to warn you of over filling the tank as well as a level indicator? I would also want an alarm to warn me if any vapors escape and reach one third to one half of the LEL for my particular product. Any overflow pipe should be routed to a vessel - not the ground at the base of the tank. #3 You most likely should have some type of a fire control system in place to protect people and property in case the unthinkable happens. Some type of an inert gas such as CO2 or N2 could be used to blanket a tank fire. #4 You need a pressure relief valve as well as a vacuum breaker on the tank. #5 You need proper training in emergency and normal operation procedures for your people. #6 This is probably the most important - Contact your insurance underwriter and get a site inspection and follow the recommendations that they have - it will lower your premiums and insure that you have the best possible coverage -also be sure you have all the necessary permits required - if any - for your jurisdiction. Ed

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 14

10/16/2008 1:36 AM

Safety/Containment/Underwriter/Local Codes apart-- you must keep a minimum10' gap for maintenance/Erection Crane to pass.

mm

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: ??-proof Alcohol Storage Tank

10/16/2008 3:25 AM

???

Are you saying the liquor is already diluted [≈(40-50) alcohol : (60-50) water] being stored prior to production (bottling); or that it's being stored for later, 60-50% water dilution?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

Re: ??-proof Alcohol Storage Tank

10/16/2008 5:33 AM

The alcohol is 120 proof.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - U.S.A. Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 2

10/16/2008 8:24 AM

I would say within arms reach of each other. This way you could safely reach each without having to get up.

10/16/2008 8:34 AM

Ask your local Fire Dept. Access for fire fighting equipment would be a nice thing to have...

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

10/16/2008 8:35 AM

Is there ice near by?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 24

10/16/2008 9:27 AM

the 'Rule Book' is NFPA 30' National Fire Protection Association publication 30. In most legal jurisdictions its RECOMMENDATIONS are incorporated into STATUTES and become legal requirements. Also review the situation with the Fire Chief serving your locality to secure their agreement with your plans.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); ed fuzzyE kedz (1); Keith E Bowers (1); MUKULMAHANT (1); possum (1)

Previous in Forum: M-fluied, miter bends and caulked joint   Next in Forum: adapter sleeve vs withdrawl sleeve

Advertisement