Previous in Forum: Let Have Some Fun   Next in Forum: Are Manual Skills More Human?
Close
Close
Close
45 comments
Associate

Presidential Who's Who?

06/12/2009 12:24 PM

Greetings All,

Am I just being cynical or does this sound like a scam, apparently I am one of the chosen one's for the Presidential Who's Who. President who or of what, anybody any ideas.

Or am I in my cynisism the only one who hasn't heard of the Presidential etc. This is the e-mail I received the other day I would be interested in your thoughts.

Dear Professional,

It is my pleasure to inform you that on May 15th, 2009 your information was reviewed and accepted for inclusion in the 2009/2010 edition of our Registry.

Presidential Who's Who, each year, recognizes and selects key executives, professionals and organizations in all disciplines and industries for outstanding business and professional achievements.

This recognition is shared by those who have reached a distinguished level of success in their chosen profession.

Please take a moment to complete the invitation by clicking on the link below. We ask that you complete it carefully, as it will be reviewed by our editorial department.

http://www.2009presidentialwhoswho.net/index.php

I would be gratfull if anybody could shed some light on this, many thanks,

merlin

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

Re: Presidential Who's Who?

06/12/2009 12:27 PM

You only have to read the first two words and throw it in the bin.

Dear Professional .... my arse

Del

In reply to #1

06/12/2009 12:42 PM

Thank you Del, I think you are spot on. Isn't it weird how our curiosity gets the better of us.

merlin.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #2

06/15/2009 4:00 AM

<...how our curiosity gets the better of us...>

Scammers rely on it!

-o-o-o-

Weclome to CR4, BTW.

Good Answers: 103

06/12/2009 12:42 PM

And one of the thing that we have been taught in our old childhood (when of course we were not old) that don't talk to strangers.

In today's language is - don't open emails from unknown sources and the logging in to that is the extreme (unless you have a very strong dose of tamiflu or something stronger than it antiviral)

You have two choices, chose the one you think is correct and most likely the other one will be

1) You log in and he asks for a few $ as processing fee for inclusion of your name.

2) Your antivirus allows an unknown virus in, well simply because it is unknown.

There are quite a few e-mails I delete daily unread - starting from a job offer to wonderful opportunity to you know what

Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #3

06/13/2009 10:00 AM

Isn't all this called the experience factor we gain as we grow older?

Good Answers: 143

06/12/2009 12:55 PM

Over the years I've been named to several of these things. I don't know the latest spin, but it used to be you submitted a brief bio and they would publish it and offer you an "honoree's discount" on copies of the book for yourself and your mother and your wife and... In the end, they were selling these books.

In reply to #4

06/12/2009 3:47 PM

Thank you for your replies,I dont know what I was thinking of ,imagining that this could possibly be legit.

Maybe we should start a book of scams and ask them to pay to be included.

merlin.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #9

06/12/2009 6:26 PM

Well, it might not be illegal, but it is dishonest. It plays on people's vanity and gullibility.

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #4

06/13/2009 12:09 AM

Same here TP, but what is really funny is the few guys I know in the Pgh. area that are included in them and post such in their advertising.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

06/13/2009 8:19 AM

Well..... It's hard to know what to think about that. Were they just fooled, or are they all puffed up by self-importance? I'm luckier than most folks - I had a mom who, whenever I did stuff like that, would give me the look (you know, the one that turns people to stone) and say wisely, "You're full of s***!" Even though she's been gone a while, whenever I get all puffed-up, I can feel her standing there, screwing up that evil eye. Course, I still do it some.

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #13

06/13/2009 8:42 AM

OH, they are puffed up with the egoism.

And your mom and my granny must have been related.

Oh, do I remember the Old World evil eye also.

I thought about doing the book thing one time, but I got that feeling also and had to look over my shoulder.

That evil eye has kept me out of most screw-ups in my life.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 93

06/12/2009 1:04 PM

Typically such solicitations are time and money wasters.

Who's Who In America, in the past, from my recollect did seem to be a legitimate and respectable publication.

It is not unusual at all for scammers to use as much as possible, the good name of another.

Good Answers: 87

06/12/2009 1:13 PM

TVP45 is exactly correct. These things are designed to get people to buy books...

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

06/12/2009 1:27 PM

Anyone giving #1 a 'Good Answer' will have their name included in one of my esteemed blogs entitled Gullible 'Astute Members of CR4'
Del

Good Answers: 165

06/12/2009 1:42 PM

Did you notice the very bottom of the page? "*** All Program Sales are final after 24 hours. "

Screams scam to me!

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96

06/13/2009 4:30 AM

You're invited to the roast eh?

Good Answers: 20

06/13/2009 8:57 AM

The form asks for allot of information but one thing is absent - a claimer that the information will not be used for marketing purposes.

Register to Reply
Guru

06/13/2009 9:16 AM

I always liked the offer the guy who sat across from me got one day. You might have to look at your magazine mailing label to get this. "Dear Mr. Eng, you have been selected for a great honor. The name Eng will be honored every...."

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #16

06/13/2009 2:36 PM

Yeah, my invitation was addressed "Dear Mr. PE, you have been selected for a great honor..." that was pretty good confirmation that it is computer based address fishing...

Register to Reply
Participant

06/16/2009 4:45 AM

Hi Mate, I received this a while ago and binned it

Stew

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #20

06/16/2009 5:39 AM

I should have done the same, still always good to get world opinion, you never know!!

Magic lantern show soon?

merlin.

06/16/2009 6:24 AM

Yes fine, your choice this time, next week fine except Wed

Stew

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster

06/25/2009 4:04 PM

I got the same email this morning... This is so stupid. Delete, delete, then delete again!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/26/2009 4:24 AM

This is definitely a scam. It is probably designed to collect details for further marketing or sale to marketing and spamming 'suppliers'.

I'd advise you to ignore it.

Web Constable

Register to Reply
Participant

07/14/2009 2:21 PM

check this out,

withoutapurpose.blogspot.com/.../gee-wiz-im-candidate-for-whos-who.html

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

07/23/2009 11:27 AM

I would suggest to sign up for the service but have them list your name as "The Dude."

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #26

07/23/2009 12:29 PM

Good idea. If it's free maybe we should all flood the site with `cool` made up names, `dude` would be a good start. Then we would see how keen they are to publish

In reply to #27

07/30/2009 10:31 AM

Rather than being a scam per se..... these "services" rely on the vanity of the people that believe they have made "outstanding business and professional achievements."

Once registered, you will be offered book$, plaque$, etc. to hang on your "I Love Me" wall at home or in the office. If you love to see your name in print... these are your guys...

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

08/06/2009 8:53 AM

Hi - me too! And I share your cynicism tho "my ego and I" would like to believe there is some credence to it! Like to hear from anyone else

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #29

08/10/2009 10:58 PM

So glad to see this answer as I got one too and thought isn't that great but at the same time thought that it seemed fishy! So I did a search and found this! Thanks for asking the question and thanks for all who replied!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #30

11/04/2009 5:13 PM

Same here. The Who's Who form was sitting on my desk when I began reading these posts. (It's in the recycle bin as I write this.) I guess there's that niggling bit of ego/vanity that wants to think that maybe just maybe someone out there has recognized our wonderful, unique abilities. Human greed and vanity are such great hooks for scammers.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

08/20/2009 12:01 PM

Hello Merlin

This is definitely a scam. If you contact these people, they will congratulate you and tell you that you will be automatically listed in a free online directory. They will tell you that as a "leader in your field" (or something along those lines) you deserve to be recognized in a national (maybe even international) directory showing your achievements. Then they will try to sell you different membership materials starting with the most expensive package which will include a "leather bound" directory, a cheap plaque and some junk you can put on your desk. If you don't go for the most expensive membership package they will follow a script until you buy one of their products or hang up. I know all this because I worked for one of these companies (Empire Who's Who which became Cambridge Who's Who, both based on Long Island -NY just like Presidential Who's Who). Needless to say, I did not stay long because it was a joke.

Good luck to you

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #31

09/01/2009 12:13 PM

Hi Guest,

Interesting to hear from somebody who was on the 'Inside' As to buying junk for my desk, maybe I should sell them some of the junk I've already got on my desk.

Presumably quite a lot of people do buy, otherwise these companies would be out of business.

Good job we have the CR4'ers to keep our feet on the ground.

merlin.

In reply to #32

10/27/2009 5:53 PM

Got a call today from them, I am honored as a leader in my field, after a few questions I asked a few of my own. I'm in Canada, in the outskirts of Montreal, how do they know anything about me... I was lucky and chosen as a leader in my industry, and he's the one asking me the questions about it! They know nothing else then the 850$ they want to send you a copy of the book I never heard about and a plaque for my recognition... of what!!

Scam, delete, never respond.... now they have my number and my e-mail. Duh!

Nik.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #33

10/29/2009 5:22 AM

Hi Guest,

Have'nt had the pnone call but I still get the e-mails, got one today.

I'm hoping if I ignor them they will go away. As you say if we are so outstanding how come they know nothing about us?

Hang in there, they must give up eventualy.

Maybe we should flood their `In box` with all the junk mail we get, just a thought.

merlin

In reply to #33

11/08/2009 1:23 PM

Hey there - I'm also in Canada! (toronto) - and the email received was from some joe shmoe's g-mail account not matching the author of the letter... that should be the first warning sign to everyone... personal email account vs. company account? not ligit. Luckly they didn't call me, but if they do I will hang up right away!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

11/01/2009 9:57 AM

That's easy! They just want your money.

They elect you on apparent random basis, make you proud of yourself (you are almost as good as God) and then you have to pay ($ 800 to 1,700) to put your name in a list of VIPs.

Pierre

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

11/18/2009 11:09 AM
  1. IT'S A SCAM, AND THEY WILL CHARGE YOU A REOCCURING FEE
  2. Presidential disclaims any responsibility and any and all liability for the contents, quality, performance or any aspect of any information provided by it, including that found in Presidential Who's Who's website, registries, or its databases.
  3. Payment. All membership fees and any payments related thereto including, without limitation, any membership upgrade fees are due and payable by you at the point of sale. You hereby acknowledge and agree that any other fees not collected at the point of sale but due for your membership including, any deferred fees will be automatically charged by Presidential to the credit card number provided by you to Presidential thirty days from the original point of sale date.
  4. Cancellation. All memberships are personalized and customized for each individual member by Presidential and accordingly, there are no cancellations or refunds of Presidential memberships unless you are otherwise entitled to cancellation pursuant to applicable law, except as follows: you may cancel your membership within forty-eight (48) hours after first registering as a member.
  5. Indemnity. You agree to indemnify and hold Presidential, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, co-branders or other partners, and employees, harmless from any losses, damages, claim, demand, obligations, fees (including reasonable attorney's fees), penalties, suits or proceeding, of whatsoever kind and nature resulting from, relating to or arising out of (i) Prohibited Postings or similar acts by you or any of your employees, agents, or affiliates, (ii) your use of the Website or Databases, (iii) your connection to the Website or Databases, and (iv) your breach of the Terms. You agree that you are solely responsible for any breach of the obligations under the Terms and for the consequences (including any loss or damage which Presidential may suffer) of any such breach.
  6. Limitation of Liability. PRESIDENTIAL'S MAXIMUM LIABILITY AND YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE MEMBERSHIP FEES PAID BY YOU. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL PRESIDENTIAL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, OR LOST PROFITS OR EXPENSES OF WHATSOEVER KIND AND NATURE, IMPOSED UPON, INCURRED BY OR ASSERTED OR AWARDED AGAINST YOU, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY ARISING OUT OF, RELATING TO OR RESULTING FROM: (I) THE WEBSITE; (II) YOUR USE, YOUR INABILITY TO USE OR ANY RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THIS WEBSITE OR ANY WEBSITES THAT ARE LINKED TO OR FROM THIS WEBSITE; (III) YOUR USE (OR RELIANCE ON ANY) OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS WEBSITE OR ANY WEBSITE LINKED TO OR FROM THIS WEBSITE; (IV) ANY BREACH OF WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, UNDER THESE TERMS OR OTHERWISE; (V) ANY OTHER BREACH OF ANY OBLIGATION OR DUTY OWED BY PRESIDENTIAL HEREUNDER OR UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE LIABILITY RESULTED FROM ANY GENERAL OR PARTICULAR REQUIREMENT OR NEED WHICH PRESIDENTIAL KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN OF, OR (VI) THE DATABASES. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY WILL APPLY TO ANY CLAIM WHETHER THE CLAIM IS BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, WARRANTY OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER PRESIDENTIAL HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN THE EVENT THAT ANY TERM OF ANY AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND PRESIDENTIAL IS FOUND UNCONSCIONABLE OR UNENFORCEABLE FOR ANY REASON, THIS PROVISION OF WAIVER BY AGREEMENT OF CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES SHALL NEVERTHELESS CONTINUE IN FULL FORCE AND EFFECT.

SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. THUS, SOME OF THE LIMITATIONS OF THIS PARAGRAPH MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH JURISDICTIONS, LIABILITY OF PRESIDENTIAL SHALL BE DETERMINED TO BE THE LEAST THE LEAST PERMITTED BY LAW.
Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #38

12/14/2009 8:47 PM

A lawsuit has already been filed against Presidential Who's Who Inc for violating the TCPA. If anyone has any information on the so called CEO " Frank Ciaccio " please email springwater125@yahoo.com.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

12/21/2009 7:15 AM

Thank you to all contributors to this blog. I recevied notification of my 'nomination' today and decided to ask Frank Ciacco some pertinent questions. My message to his gmail address has been returned with advice that that email account has been disabled. Interesting!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

12/30/2009 2:43 PM

I got one of those too... in my spam folder. I have no idea if it's for real... but I sincerely doubt that it is.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

04/17/2010 8:30 AM

I know Frank Ciaccio and can go on and on about his unethical history. He use to work for another company and embezzeled money which he used to move on and start his own company. He use to work for a well known Whos Who publishing company located at 2 Wall Street in Manhattan. HE WAS DICHARGED FROM THIS COMPANY for releasing confidential company information to other publishing companies. He is a snake and will do any thing to make a buck. He would even go as far as telling the office about his personal life and making his fiance look like a total fool which I will let you use your imagination on this one. All I can say is I do not know you but, stay away from this guy and his company he is a fraud in every aspect of life.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/15/2010 8:44 AM

ATTN: Presidential Who's Who and/or Frank Ciaccio.....

Please contact me at 609+ 276+7733 regarding the court judgment I have against Presidential Who's Who.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/15/2010 8:45 AM

ATTN: Presidential Who's Who and/or Frank Ciaccio.....

Please contact me at 609+ 276+7733 regarding the court judgment I have against Presidential Who's Who

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

01/05/2011 11:10 AM

I just got a call from "anthony diez" of presidential no whose............he is pretty slick, but not getting past me.......went on to say, "co. policy" that he must speak to my boss to be removed from the "invitation"

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 45 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

3Doug (1); agua_doc (1); Anonymous Poster (20); bwire (1); Del the cat (2); Kilowatt0 (1); merlin-100 (5); PWSlack (1); qaqcpipeman (2); sb (1); slidergirl (1); Steve S. (2); Stewartb (2); Transcendian (1); tropicalspeed (1); TVP45 (3)

Previous in Forum: Let Have Some Fun   Next in Forum: Are Manual Skills More Human?

Advertisement