Previous in Forum: Micro bursts from the sun   Next in Forum: Galaxy will always appear dark
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

Moon Colonists

07/16/2009 11:19 AM

With NASA currently determined to return to the moon, the prospects of establishing a colony there are beginning to look achievable, perhaps even in some current CR4 readers' lifetimes.

The first infant that is born there will achieve instant global recognition.

Even though some of the implications are social, cultural and pshychological, and maybe beyond the remit of CR4, the engineering community might want to prepare for the prospect. Some questions come to mind:

• What additional factors might need to be considered with childbirth in Lunar gravity and how are these to be provided at such a logistically difficult distance?
  • How would the individual develop physically, in comparison with Earth-gravity humans?
  • Were the infant to thrive in the lower gravity environment as well as would be hoped, what equipment might be needed for him/her to cope with the physical differences were the infant to travel to Earth and land there?
  • What plant species might be needed to be established to feed a growing colony on the Moon, and what cultivational techniques might be needed to be developed to ensure rising sustainability there?
  • What waste recycling facilities, particularly water, might be needed to sustain and develop the community in the barren, high-vacuum, radiation-battered lunar environment?
  • What precautions might be needed to prevent disease spreading through the colony?

And perhaps some sociologial and psychological ones:

• On Earth, an individual takes the nationality of the parents and/or the nationality applicable to the country in which he/she is born. If a birth were to take place on the surface of the Moon, where there are no national boundaries, what would be the nationality of that individual?
  • How would a relevant education be provided to a Lunar infant at such a distance, if the prospect of integration with the Earth humans were remote?
  • How would the physiological and psychological effects of the isolation of this individual from the remainder of the human species be tackled?

Discuss!

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

Re: Moon colonists

07/16/2009 11:33 AM

...wonder what the man on the moon have to say about this...?

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 83
In reply to #1

07/16/2009 11:54 AM

...wonder what the man on the moon have to say about this...?

That's a very cheesy question.

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 774

07/16/2009 11:58 AM

I don't know much of the answers but I suspect his or her true nationality would be moonian. The second recognized nationality would likely be that of the parents and the nation that primarily funded the expedition to the moon. (Likely American)

Being raised in a scientific environment the child would be probably far more rational and logical minded. He or she would have to deal with far less political based educational agendas. Given the expensive and limited resources a moon colony would have I doubt the funding nations would care for spending loads of money on useless crap for education. Plus being a non earth resident I would suspect a more open and worldly educational environment would be used being a moon colony would be a multinational endeavor.

I don't see social interaction as being a problem though. With the right set up I don't see why internet could not be available on the moon too! (some 30 foot satellite dishes with 100 watt wireless routers should do it!) That would give the child full access to the world! (If the earth based dishs are located in the correct countrys of course!)

Guru

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #3

07/16/2009 7:35 PM

Not Moonian, but rather a Loonie. At least that is how Robert Heinlein imagined it.

Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 16

07/16/2009 1:21 PM

I can't imagine any sane woman wanting her child to grow up in such a micro-gravity, let alone a cultural wasteland. The nationality of such an infant would be moot. Would it grow up as a human might be a better question.

Some answers come to mind:

1) Childbirth in swimming pools seems to work OK. Kind of an artificial micro-gravity.

2) Bone density and muscle mass would suffer. The same considerations for exercising a quadriplegic might obtain, both lunar and terrestrial.

3) Plant species would need to have algae as a base, both for O2 generation, food, and recycling, so hydroponics is a given. I think nutritionists and horticulturists would need to get together on logistically viable species. Tomatoes are nice, but could one plant take over the moon? Chocolate is one of the major food groups. Can it be reasonably grown on the moon?

Bigger questions are where is all the water coming from? Iceteroids? I wouldn't count on enough up there to flush a toilet. Mollecular 'cracking' moon rocks?

Where is the power coming from, roving PV collectors? Some Sci-Fi writers have invisioned an equatorial railway for just such a purpose. In fact, this entire subject has been pretty well thrashed already in the Sci-Fi annels

Gives me a headache just thinking about it.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #4

07/16/2009 2:37 PM

Yeah, but Brett Favre could make his comeback if we built a stadium

Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

07/16/2009 1:46 PM

One problem - They can't go overseas (to the other side of the pond) for holiday.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72
In reply to #5

07/16/2009 4:09 PM

I can't go overseas for holiday. It's enough to make you a Luna tech.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

07/16/2009 2:23 PM

I would expect anyone born and raised on the moon would be unable to visit Earth, the gravity would be debilitating.
They would be Selenites of course...
they would have to write romantic songs about Earthight too...can't rhyme moon and June anymore...
A Lunar year is the same as an Earth year but would there be seasonal differences?
Are there mice on the moon, what with all that cheese.
Felis Domesticus Lunaris.
Del

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #6

07/17/2009 7:35 AM

A Lunar year is the same as an Earth year ...

Let's see: The Earth makes a complete rotation around Sun in about 365 days and that's called an YEAR. Well, Selena gravitates around the Earth in about 28 days and that's called....what?

Bridge rule #1: Nobody is as good as he thinks about himself nor as dumb, as his partner thinks...
Power-User

Location: kibbutz nir-david, a beautiful rural village in Israel

Re: Moon Colonists

07/16/2009 11:37 PM

A nice real story:

One of the founders of my kibutz nir david in Israel was Naftali Golomb, our kibutz was founded 1936 by a group of atheistic comunists-zionist young people.

1964 Naftali taught kibutz managing,and I was one of his students.The following year he went to the USA, for a sabato year, to harward, at this time sociologists didn't know much about kibutz, so after a short while he was asked to give lectures about kibutz in different univesities in the states,after- it was one year before americans landed on the moon,Naftali was invited by NASA, they thought that in short tome america will have a colony on the moon,and they concluded the the best form of community on such a remote and hostile enviroment will be Kibutz!

Because lack of water the plan was freezed,but I think that now after Ice was found there the idea was DEFREEZED!

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204

07/16/2009 11:47 PM

The first series of questions about living in space were well answered by Marshall T Savage in his landmark book (no pun intended) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Millennial_Project:_Colonizing_the_Galaxy_in_Eight_Easy_Steps

I just reading Robert Heinlein's "Between Planets" which covers a man born in transit between planets. His father is from Mars and his mother is from Venus. (predating John Gray of course) and then there is a war, which polarizes issues of nationality and loyalty.

Awesome questions PWS, 5 Stars for you.

Chris

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661
In reply to #11

07/17/2009 3:16 AM

5 Stars for you...
Very droll...

Good Answers: 25

07/17/2009 10:00 AM

Whatever their occupation, would he/she be moonlighting?

jt.

He said, Let there be light, and I could see for bl**ding miles!

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #14

07/17/2009 2:32 PM

In fact I think that moonshining would be a better occupation for ALT (American Lunar Territories) colonists.

Bridge rule #1: Nobody is as good as he thinks about himself nor as dumb, as his partner thinks...
Reply to Forum Thread 15 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

az native (1); chrisg288 (1); CUTiger (1); Del the cat (2); Hendrik (1); indel (2); jt (1); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); Quobaldt (1); Steve S. (1); sue (1); tcmtech (1); Tippycanoe (1)

Previous in Forum: Micro bursts from the sun   Next in Forum: Galaxy will always appear dark

Advertisement