Previous in Forum: axial load for nozzle   Next in Forum: Microfractures in Steel Parts
Close
Close
Close
28 comments
Anonymous Poster

Fish Chilling Unit

03/25/2010 8:09 AM

I have to design the system requirement for the plant having a standard Fish chilling unit and Milk storage unit, so can somebody tell me power consumption for the the standard fish chilling unit and Milk storage unit(Refrigeration system), for the coastal area?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

Re: Fish Chilling Unit

03/25/2010 8:17 AM
  • No ambient conditions stated.
  • No wind data stated.
  • No size stated.
  • No load stated.
  • No design internal temperature stated.
  • No insulation arrangements stated.
  • Etc., etc.

In reply to #1

03/25/2010 8:20 AM

i want to know that for the standerd fish chilling unit, how much power it consumes per hr?

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #3

03/25/2010 8:21 AM

So does guest above.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

03/25/2010 8:18 AM

Fish chillers and milk storage units come in a wide range of sizes, so there aren't really any standard heat loads or power consumptions.

In reply to #2

03/25/2010 8:22 AM

ya, still i want to know the power consumption for the smallest fish chilling unit and the milk storage unit....

Guru

In reply to #5

03/25/2010 8:25 AM

A domestic fridge runs about 250-850W, intermittently, depending upon its size.

In reply to #6

03/25/2010 8:27 AM

thanks but still not satisfactory

Guru

In reply to #7

03/25/2010 8:30 AM

Put down some parameters, then, in pursuit of providing the information, as indicated in reply #1.

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #7

03/25/2010 8:51 AM

Have you paid your subscription and authorised the transfer of question answering fees to PWSlack's account?*

No?

Then why do you think you can demand (for that is the tone of your posts) any information from other contributors, much less demand detailed output variables without providing any input parameters?

Are you actually an engineer? Do you understand the principles that PWSlack has outlined?

Supply some basic sizing information - e.g. what you consider to be a reasonable internal volume and the temperature at which it should be maintained and the ambient local air temperature - and it will be possible to estimate an answer to your question. Without it, both PWSlack's previous answer and mine below are equally valid.

Power Required: 1.2 MW (suggest installing a Siemens Typhoon turbine gen set).

*sarcasm mode on full for this paragraph**.

**ok, for the whole post...it's been a bad morning

In reply to #9

03/25/2010 8:57 AM

<...Power Required: 1.2 MW (suggest installing a Siemens Typhoon turbine gen set)...>

Hmmm..... might be able to shave a bit off that with a reverse-acting Stirling Engine....

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #10

03/25/2010 9:07 AM

Granted, but can you also power the site's lights, aircon and cooking facilities with it? And will it provide enough power to keep the security and search lights on all night and the electric fence powered? And power to the machine gun emplacements?

Can the Stirling Engine also provide motive power for the fish oil and milk pumping stations? And the milk stirring motors?

Honestly, you need to make sure that the full scope is covered! It is also essential to allow for expansion over the first two years of plant operation without having to install upgraded/additional power sources.

In reply to #11

03/25/2010 9:39 AM

<Conceded.>

Oh dear. Solar would be a better bet, then.

How about a cast iron bath for the heat transfer fluid header tank?

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #12

03/25/2010 9:56 AM

Solar-powered torch, or as it's alternatively called "a mirror" ?

Solar Cold-Light Heat-Pump ?

Give me some time - I'll figure this one, eventually

Guru

In reply to #12

03/25/2010 12:14 PM

Will solar provide 24/7/52 power coverage? Is the plant in the artic and therefore would have to rely on battery power for ~5 months of the year?

What area of solar panels is needed? Pay back time?

The genset will, of course, be run on the waste fish oil and sewage gases, rather than mineral oil, so CO2 issues are covered.

Cast iron bath? Is it cracked? Are you cracked? Does it have a lid?

In reply to #15

03/25/2010 12:32 PM

<Splarf - wipes coffee off monitor>

A fish chilling unit in the Arctic? Strewth!

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #16

03/25/2010 12:46 PM

And how do you think the Arctic got to be so cold ?

Guru

In reply to #16

03/25/2010 12:50 PM

Ok, more of a thawing unit there...I heard that Inuit use refrigerators to keep their meat from freezing...

<passes monitor wipes>

Argument stands if plant is in the rain forest, under the canopy, where the the sun doesn't reach....

<passes over straws she's been clutching>

Questions: At what point in the journey from arctic to warmer climes would you put the fish into a chiller? If you "over" freeze fish, do they spoil?

To maximise revenues, I was thinking one could add a fertilizer plant to process the dry, degassed sewage and fish processing waste.

In reply to #18

03/25/2010 12:55 PM

......in that case the bio-gas could be used to run that humungous generator....

In reply to #19

03/26/2010 7:05 AM

You're as bad as Kris!!

See post 15

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28

03/25/2010 9:42 AM

Never caught a "standard fish"......

Good Answers: 1662

03/25/2010 10:16 PM

I apologize for the previous light hearted responses. I'll try to explain what it takes to, "design the system requirement for the plant having a standard Fish chilling unit and Milk storage unit".

Let's assume that a "standard" fish is inflated by the fisherman's imagination and instead of requiring 20 BTUhour per fish to chill, the actual requirement is much lower, due to the exaggeration of the fish hooker.

Milk, on the other hand is usually under weighed by the collector and so, the "Milk storage" requirement is understated by 33.5% per pound of product.

Now, both items are rich in calcium, which has a high thermal conductivity and so the thermal efficiency of the system can be halved if the total load does not exceed the thermal lag of the entire system when fully loaded.

Of course, this all changes with the "coastal area" variable, which can be as high as 2.35, depending on the evelation of the coast and the proximity of the coastal conflasion of the particular latitude indicated.

I hope this helps.

Participant

In reply to #20

03/26/2010 12:28 AM

thank you, Sir!!! i can understand but some people need to learn fundamentals of writting a mail.....

i agree that i have not provided the complete information, but i really dont have idea of it so i couldn't able to give the detailed information for designing the system.

Guru

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #21

03/26/2010 12:35 AM

" i couldn't able to give the detailed information for designing the system".

If you can't define the system requirements, how can we design it for you?

Good Luck!

PS

As an aside, my fishing grandson used to call a depth finder a "fish looker".

Think about it.

Anonymous Poster

03/26/2010 12:42 PM
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781
In reply to #24

03/26/2010 1:08 PM

Can you get that ROFLMAO smiley into the CR4 menu? That would be great!

03/26/2010 3:08 PM

Make sure you have extracted all the hydrogen hydroxide before chilling.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #26

03/27/2010 3:26 PM

I thought we were advocating removing the urea based fluids.

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #27

03/30/2010 7:21 PM

Why? Who's been pissin in the milk?

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Reply to Forum Thread 28 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

aarti.dhurve@suzlon.com (4); Anonymous Poster (4); English Rose (5); lyn (2); PWSlack (8); RDGRNR (1); Tornado (2); Yuval (2)

Previous in Forum: axial load for nozzle   Next in Forum: Microfractures in Steel Parts

Advertisement