Previous in Forum: Solar Panel Collector Angle   Next in Forum: Engineering Codes
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 53

Overfill Protection

06/16/2010 12:44 AM

Do you know of an automatic shutoff or other overfill protection device for fueling portable gas power equipment from a portable gas can?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: spill
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United States - Member - Member in Good Standing

Good Answers: 61

Re: Overfill protection

06/16/2010 1:01 AM

Actually, it's pretty hard to beat the old Mk1Mod0 eyeball. The kind of automatic system you suggest, similar to that found on gas pumps, would probably drive up the cost of a gas can rather significantly. Better I think just to pour slowly and carefully, and watch what you're doing.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 140

06/16/2010 1:59 AM

For my lawn mower (has a 4 inch vertical filling pipe) I made a floating device from a PVC pipe that I have cut - in the length direction and removed about 1/3rd.

Some more at the top to still be able to pour into it. At the bottom I have a large cork in the pipe, cut under an angle to make the gas flow out easy.

A mark in the pipe tells me to stop pouring. I used a thin walled connection pipe for sinks (white) I can make a drawing if you are interested.

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

06/16/2010 3:57 AM

The Jerry-can used in WWII had a small spout / air breather at the filling cap (I think it still does) which overflowed first when almost full. Maybe the simple design can be copied?

06/16/2010 6:06 AM

Flo N'Go makes a product for that

http://www.flo-n-go.com/home/

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

06/16/2010 7:55 AM

Briggs & Stratton 1.25 Gallon Gas Can Auto Shut-Off (CARB Compliant) #WCA125P

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 71
In reply to #5

06/16/2010 9:35 AM

I think what LynLynch is trying to show is what I thought of this morning. The filler spout on this type of gas can is the vent. You dip the filler spout into the opening of your tank to be filled and when the fuel reaches the level of the vent flow stops because the vent is full of fuel.

This can be done with hoses too for slightly larger filler tanks, just make sure your only vent is at the filler spout outlet and sticking low enough into your receiving tank to hit fuel before reaching your full level.

Oh...and your issue tank cannot be collapsible or overly flexible or have leaks that would allow venting.

Drew

Good Answers: 1663
In reply to #7

06/16/2010 9:43 AM

My first thought was:

a battery filler.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202
In reply to #7

06/17/2010 12:11 AM

I purchased one several years ago at a big box store exactly as you described. It was a replacement item and the instructions didn't mention not to open the small vent opening on the can. To do so defeated the function of the auto-stop feature and makes a big puddle of gasoline when the receiving tank was full.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #5

06/17/2010 8:25 AM

Have one hasn't worked from day one. Had it now about three years. Only nice thing about it is that it doesn't allow spills very easily.

In reply to #11

06/17/2010 9:43 AM

It will work every time that venting is only allowed below where you want fuel level to stop...unless there is an air leak, or your tube is not long enough or your tank is too flexible and collapses after venting is stopped by liquid.

Or there is always what I did trying to top off a small tank...lift the spout out of the filler hole and continue filling after it overflows thereby washing my lawnmower in gasoline!

Drew

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

In reply to #12

06/21/2010 1:44 PM

I use it to fill my lawn equipment. The tube on the can is plenty long and the tank is ridged. The the red tank above does not have a true vapor recovery system i.e. a gasoline pump.

In reply to #15

06/21/2010 9:45 PM

Not sure exactly what you are describing.

The way the system I was explaining is supposed to work is that as fuel leaves your issuing can, it is replaced by air. If the only place it can draw that air is inside the tank you are filling and below the level you want to stop before, as the fuel reaches the air inlet (issue tank) it will be drawn up instead of air. Quickly an equilibrium will be reached and fuel will stop flowing from the issue tank. Then if the spout is angled properly, you can tip the issue can over leaving the spout below the fuel level (receiving tank) until the issue tank is low enough to stop flowing when the vent is raised above the level of the fuel in the receiving tank.

This same system can work with a flexible hose (with a flexible vent line terminating at the same place). It just takes a clip to set the depth of the issue hose or 3 hands to juggle the tank and hoses.

Drew

In reply to #16

06/22/2010 9:08 AM

The red "can" up above is what I said doesn't offer spill protection. It claims to but it doesn't. That's all I'm saying. I just tried it again this weekend it over-filled the tank the spout was depressed to allow flow and then was fully inserted into the tank.

In reply to #17

06/22/2010 9:55 AM

Does it possibly have a vacuum leak somewhere? Usually if the seal on the cap does not face a smooth surface because of unevenly shaved plastic it will suck air there and continue to allow flow.

You could upload pictures of your tank so I can be sure I am talking about the same design. The design I am describing is a simple sealed tank where air has to go in to replace the fuel as it leaves. Once the air inlet for the tank is below the level of the fuel in the tank you pour into it cannot drain any more fuel because there is no air to replace it. The inertia of the moving fuel and siphoning will move a little more after the air is cut off, but because the air inlet is below the fuel level it will draw up just as much fuel as siphons out preventing overflow.

Drew

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: Overfill Protection

06/16/2010 9:33 AM

"Gas" or "gasoline"?

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 53
In reply to #6

06/16/2010 8:21 PM

Gasoline, sorry for not being specific.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 427
In reply to #9

06/17/2010 4:33 PM

Petrol for those folks on the other side of the pond.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 28

06/19/2010 12:12 AM

I was at the Wal place just last week and a funnel caught my eye. It has a float, hanging down from the spout end, with a plastic tail that extends up through the spout, terminating with a large ring. When the fuel level reaches the float, it rises and the ring in the bell of the funnel rises up. very simple and cheap, about $3.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Ace Boeringa (1); Anonymous Poster (1); bakerjohn (3); Brave Sir Robin (1); Drew K (4); DrMoose (1); dvmdsc (1); Hendrik (1); Jaguar (1); lyn (2); old salt (1); PWSlack (1)

Previous in Forum: Solar Panel Collector Angle   Next in Forum: Engineering Codes

Advertisement