Previous in Forum: First Aid From the Red Cross   Next in Forum: Motor Connection
Close
Close
Close
34 comments
Associate

Yet Another Rating Scheme

08/27/2010 10:11 AM

We have the ability to rate threads [see top right]

The system is such that we can only endorse a thread with from 1-5 stars.

We have the ability to award good answers or off topic to a reply

We need the ability as a community to give a negative rating to a question, instead of 1-5 stars

I propose to slightly modify the current system:

Replace the 5th star with BQ[bad question]

Ideally your profile could be modified, with a feature similar to the way off topic replies can be skipped

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster

Re: Yet Another Rating Scheme

08/27/2010 10:14 AM

what do you care Garthh. you can use your many profiles to manipulate results however you want.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #1

08/27/2010 10:21 AM

Interesting response from an Anonymous Coward, who can't even be bothered to register & sign in...

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

08/27/2010 10:23 AM

Can we start with with this dumb thread? Please..........

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #3

08/27/2010 10:41 AM

Sure :D

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #4

08/27/2010 8:59 PM

I have as some of you know now and then posted as a Guest, though it weren't me that did so in one of the reoccuring threads internal to and about CR4. On occassion Garthh has explained to administration how technically some suggestions could be enabled, in ways they had not considered.

I think a good deal of Garthh.

Most Veterans are aware of my set of suggestions far as the community is concerned. My smallest that took a fair amount of thought and discussion came to be the Veteran Guru as descriptive. Suppose my largest or near largest would be the option to mark, and have a Political Science Section, for inevitably Politics will appear in posts of most any discussion. This is especially true in official CR4 sponsored blog threads on their face from the get go political in nature. The examples are numerous enough to make the supposed prohibition of politics galling.

AH has complained that it is a drag that CR4 isn't Safari friendly, and he rarely complains about the site.

Certainly he's not shy at all about his politics either.

Where was I? Oh yair, Bad Question option?

Might be one option I ignore. Totally on the fence about it partly because it might become offputting and mean. When we do have a civil choice to simply say nothing at all, or say interesting things about the engineering oddity of thought revealing a lack of education or experience.

Gottah sort of want some smartsass passionate kids to show up and try and play with the grownups.

I myself made up an outlandish question, posted as a Guest using a typically CR4 Guest Voice, and got a terrific answer, so I suppose I am not as good a judge of what a bad question is, as I thought.

In reply to #15

08/30/2010 5:37 AM

I would not support a BQ - though there have been some seriously bad ones.

I would, though, still like to see categories indicating the technical merit or otherwise of an answer. Seen some terribly dangeraous answers on this site.

Quite happy with the star rating and the GA OT system.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23

08/27/2010 10:42 AM

In my opinion, having a "Bad Question" rating would only dissuade users from posting questions, although having new forms of rating threads/questions would be quite beneficial.

For example, simple questions, like those for formulas or a quick equation could have their own neat and tidy area, rather than being OT'd and hidden in their respective field. Another idea would to have ratings such as "Funny Answers" or the like, because some of the comments can be hilarious albeit very off topic

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #5

08/27/2010 11:19 AM

I think OP means:

Add Vote for Forum Thread: Yet Another Rating Scheme

Rating Vote:
Score 1

Score 2

Score 3

Score 4

Bad Question

Not

Rate this Comment: Comment rating is all about making the really good stuff easier to
find by calling attention to "Good Answers" and making "Off-Topic"
comments easier to skip. Off-Topic (0 so far) This comment is not related to the original Forum Thread.

Note: Please use the "Report!" feature to report spam
or other abusive postings that should be removed. Good Answer (0 so far) This comment is very useful/insightful with respect to the original Forum Thread.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #6

08/27/2010 11:33 AM

Don't say you think. You know what the OP means since it is you.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #7

08/27/2010 11:38 AM

If I want to go schizo and develop multiple profile disorder, do I have to go buy a new computer for each one of my personalities?

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #7

08/27/2010 12:16 PM

My goodness, you certainly have a thing for Garthh.

Here you go: Some spurs and a quirt. These will make riding his a$$ a little more satisfactory for you.

I don't get it. What is the rub?

India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 163
In reply to #11

08/27/2010 12:54 PM

i got stalked once by a similar guy. Spurs and whips are useful when you have some basic equipment don't you think?

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #12

08/27/2010 1:28 PM

Yeah, there is a guest that comes around once in a while and takes popshots at me. Some conversations get a little terse, but I don't worry about it.

As for our guest here with the too-snug underwear, I just do not understand the issue. Has Garthh made a brutally honest comment somewhere that the guest is offended by? Sometimes brutal honesty is called for: things are as they are, and a diplomatic comment will sometimes not get the point across.

I have probably acquired another stalker with this comment.

In reply to #6

08/27/2010 11:34 AM

If they were to implement this, (BQ) idea, I think it would quickly become just another pissy little payback tool for angry members to use against others that had made them mad. IMO

I thought I wanted changes....for a little while.......I'm over it. No one was listening anyway.

In reply to #6

08/29/2010 4:56 AM

This takes the biscuit. You are now replying to yourself.

Garthh "Hello VisiGuest, you are looking well today"

VisiGuest "Oh thank you Garthh, your not looking too bad yourself"

Garthh "We do make a good couple don't we?"

VisiGuest "Yes I think so. Nice bum by the way, have you been working out?"

Garthh "Why yes, I didn't think you noticed"

Voice from downstairs (probably your mothers) "Garthh, stop talking to your self and looking in the mirror"

You are a bit like the creature Gollum/ Sméagol really.

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #20

08/29/2010 6:09 AM

HaaaaaHHHHHHAAAAAAARRRRhhhhhhhhaaaaa

Oooops

Have to pay that one AGuest

In reply to #21

08/29/2010 9:02 AM

Thanks. I'm not just a pretty face .

In reply to #22

09/04/2010 1:06 AM

I'd have to agree :D

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Belgium - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #20

08/29/2010 10:15 AM

What's all that then?

keep it down we're trying to think in here.....

Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: From going to and fro on the peninsula and walking up and down on it
Good Answers: 6

08/27/2010 12:01 PM

Replace the 5th star with BQ[bad question]

Fifth star, Vega, not many of them, haven't seen one of them in a long time( combo meal of disastrous method of producing engine blocks, sleeveless, high-pressure die-cast, high silicone content aluminum= high porosity, GM, have you ever got anything right? &body rust destruction sequence initiated before they left assembly line.)

But replacing them with BBQ, double-plus good,

I sho' likes me some BBQ!!!!!

I would check with our benevolent insect overlords before suggesting changes; they love change, but only when they initiate it.

I'm jes' sayin.

Packy

Good Answers: 1662

08/27/2010 3:18 PM

I'll take 100 VisiGarthhs over one Guest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

08/27/2010 11:11 PM

I don't think there is such a thing as a "bad question"

If there is on thing about CR4, it's questions become what members make of them.

I agree with Kramarat that BQ "would quickly become just another pissy little payback tool for angry members to use against others that had made them mad" - (as some use the "off topic" vote).

Seems to me where the original concept of 'voting' missed out, is that in a conference, you know who is 'remarking' on points - positively or negatively. It's not a secret ballot, it's a conference as in Conference Room 4.

The 'corruption' (to use Admin's recent term) is solely due to 'anonymity' in votes.

Lastly:

What of the 'good question' that becomes a 'trigger' for some to 're-live' some pet subject - I.e. is the 'star rating' still a "good" indicator, if the thread turns to 'ranting' or becomes a victim of the 'discussion destroyers"? (e.g. several of Chris's threads)

What of the thread that never actually gets 'on topic', but is still a fun read?

08/28/2010 10:18 AM

Bad questions

a) Die quickly in their bethread or

b) Become interesting Off-topic thread

Both are equally interesting and welcome.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 149

08/28/2010 5:51 PM

What is a "bad question"? I just brought this subject up in another thread today. First, we are not all literate in English. I would be really challenged to write a good technical question in Spanish. Not all of us are expert enough in a certain field to ask the appropriate questions or to identify the necessary facts to present.

I do not like the "You don't know what you are talking about. So go away" responses that I sometimes see. It is our responsibility as "experts" in our professions to try to understand the real meaning of the question that is being presented and to ask the poster for the necessary information so that we can provide an intelligent and useful answer.

There has been some cases where a question leads into an area where a poster's lack of knowledge about a subject could lead them into a situation that poses a danger to himself or others. We have a responsibility to give warning and limit the information that we provide and direct the poster to appropriate professional help.

We are here, not to accumulate "Good Answers", or to criticise others, but to teach and advise; to share our knowledge and experience with thoes who ask for our help.

In reply to #18

08/29/2010 12:49 AM

A Bad Question/discussion:

is incoherent, this has nothing to do with the OP's primary language, having to work through mis-communications is part of the fun of an international forum.

the OP has already reached a conclusion & becomes increasingly agitated when evidence to the contrary is presented

The OP posts incomplete information & doesn't return in a timely fashion [36-48 hrs] to clarify

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way opposed to a good argument, no matter how far off topic. Rating is only way to quantify the original post. The present system is lacking full functionality

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 149

08/29/2010 11:45 AM

I don't think we need a rating system for "bad questions". They are obvious to anyone who reads them. If you can't make any sense out of a question or don't like the direction that it seems to be leading, don't reply. A deafening silence on our part will clearly convey the message to the poster.

If we even wish to reply, our reply should at least be constructive, such as "It is not clear what you are trying to ask. Kindly rephrase your question and try to give us more details so that we can give you an intelligent answer." Or perhaps more harsh "Your question seems to imply that you lack an understanding of the basic principals involved. It is doubtful that any answer that we could give would be of any use to you".

Finally consider that a question that is totally incomprehensible to you, especially those frustrating questions filled with acronyms, abbreviations, and undefined terms, may be perfectly clear to other members.

In reply to #24

08/29/2010 11:04 PM

Well, there already is a a rating system for threads

this thread has a 4 stars at the moment

if instead of Bad Question, there could be a zero star rating...

I can see how putting it in such a blunt way, could give the wrong impression for some

reality is like that at times.

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #25

08/29/2010 11:22 PM

agreed. The star rating system works pretty well for movies... and if you are going to see a movie with a zero or one rating, you would be seeing b-movies for sure.

I think it should be okay, but I do think that users should be encouraged to make greater use of the rating systems overall.

Perhaps with the report button, there could be some shades-of-grey added, so user reports with complaints could be added anonymously and shown in a small flyout... or something. I don't know.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 410
In reply to #26

08/30/2010 10:24 AM

well if not rating the OP....maybe on some of the posts one can give two snaps up.

In reply to #28

08/30/2010 12:48 PM

Thank you Comrade Phoenix. I not realize such dictionary there is. Now understand why British back-packers always disappointed when poultry order arrives.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 410
In reply to #29

08/30/2010 2:50 PM

an example......i don't get the british thing about poultry. So that would be rated "one snap down" .... I think

In reply to #31

08/30/2010 8:11 PM

Easy, can give two examples;

Ivan, they say, "Where can we get a Russian duck in Vladivostok?". I say "what kind you want, I can bring you"

Boys always want "live one"

Girls want "hung one"

Now from your dictionary - I understand confusion/disappointment!

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #28

08/30/2010 1:45 PM

I now know some things I probably didn't need to know....

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #26

08/30/2010 9:09 PM

Years ago I suggested site status ought to combine GAs and Starred Thread starts.

Face it some of it is an ego game around here.

Of itself it is also a multiuniverse. Sometimes people fall into the blackhole, wormhole, BBT.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (4); AGuest (2); Anonymous Poster (4); chrisg288 (2); Doorman (2); Garthh (3); Garthhh (1); gringogreg (2); kramarat (3); kvsridhar (1); lyn (1); Mizuti (1); packrat561 (1); phoenix911 (2); Transcendian (2); VisiGuest (3)

Previous in Forum: First Aid From the Red Cross   Next in Forum: Motor Connection

Advertisement