Previous in Forum: Overvoltage Limit Alarm on Sag Mill   Next in Forum: Duct Heater Replacement
Close
Close
Close
46 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 23

What Size Wire on Electric Dryer

10/17/2010 8:23 PM

I am installing a new dryer.

The distance is approx. 30' from the service.

It is on a dedicated 30 AMP breaker.

It has the 4 wire plug

What size wire to run?

10/3 w/ ground

8/3 w/ground

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

Re: What Size Wire on Electric Dryer

10/17/2010 10:18 PM

The answer is in the national electrical code. My dryer is running on a set of old jumper cables.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 140

10/17/2010 11:12 PM

Netmaker, what voltage is applied?

Associate

Good Answers: 4

10/17/2010 11:58 PM

If we consult the Ugly's book we will see that 3 or less insulated conductors in raceways or cable and rating for 75degs C will give allowable ampacities of 30 amps for #10 awg. You must always have your breaker protecting your wire and the breaker the right size to protect your machine. Hope that makes sense to you. Always use the 75C rating because most recepts are rated for that.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

In reply to #3

10/18/2010 12:31 AM

Is there a correction factor for length?

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #4

10/18/2010 12:49 AM

Under normal circumstances lenght's under 100ft do not call for de-rating.

In reply to #5

10/18/2010 4:41 PM

What is de-rating?

In reply to #16

10/19/2010 8:27 AM

Derating factor(s) are applied to reduce ampacity if the length is too long ie. too much voltage drop due to wire resistance and/or if more than 3 conductors exist in the cable.

In reply to #29

10/19/2010 9:56 AM

When we takes the childrens to the picture show in town, the peoples there have deratings on them movies. Dey don't want us showimg the young uns how to act with their cousins.

In reply to #31

10/19/2010 10:52 PM

... de-ratings!

Good Answers: 129

10/18/2010 3:12 AM

Given it's a dryer - so may run for long periods - I'd go the larger copper.

Good Answers: 32

10/18/2010 5:08 AM

It's 4 wires so I'll guess that it's 220VAC. If it were in my house I would run 8/3 but 10/3 will work just fine.

10/18/2010 7:51 AM
  • Its a 240V.
  • It is on a 30 amp breaker.
  • it is 30 feet from the service
  • It has 4 wires.

Is 10/3/w/ground safe?

Is 8/3/w/ground safer?

Guru

In reply to #8

10/18/2010 8:52 AM

Do I sense some frustration?

Ok, what advice so far is;

10 gauge is 'adequate' to regulations

but

If we were doing in our own setup we would pay the few extra $ for heaver copper i.e. 8g, probably because 'dedicated' often ends up attracting extra bits, or a bigger thingy later on.

In reply to #9

10/18/2010 1:25 PM

If I am NOT going to put anything else on this line BUT the dryer..........would you say 10/3 w/ ground will be safe?'

I am NOT interested in money$$$. Its just I have this wire bought already from wiring my compressor in the shop and going to town means .......going to town......

Thank you.

nm

In reply to #10

10/18/2010 1:42 PM

If 10-3 / ground meets code, use it. There is safety already built into that code, so you are fine. Just be sure all connections are TIGHT. good luck.

Good Answers: 138
In reply to #10

10/18/2010 4:12 PM

You are sure that you will never want to add anything to the circuit? I don't have my copy of the CR4 rules and FAQs handy, but I think you may have damaged your CR4 reputation. Being in a southern state I know that many laundry rooms are off the car port or garage. Therefore, they should always be wired for MIG welders just in case the MIG welder outlet in the back of the house is too far away from something that needs fixin'.

Guru

In reply to #13

10/18/2010 4:35 PM

No.....we use the laundry room for reloading our rifle shells. We roll them around in the dryer to soften up the brass so we can get a good fit when we rubber -hammer in the lead and crimp them with our vice grips.

The extra Mig welder outlet is in the kids room with the 250' of duct taped extention cords from the Dollar Store.............

In reply to #14

10/18/2010 4:40 PM

My apologies. I cast one vote for awarding GURU status to Netmaker.

FYI: Dollar store extension cords duct taped in parallel is another way of saying "multi-stranded high-capacity cable".

In reply to #15

10/18/2010 4:45 PM

..................and lets not forget the multi-colored duct tape at every 25' length so we can know how much is out of the window when its raining and dark .....while we are welding on the boat for the next day's fishing trip..............

Good Answers: 1662

10/18/2010 3:36 PM

Doing a casual survey of clothes dryer power consumption yields 5,000W as the highest figure.

So, if your dryer is typical, you won't see over 20 AMPS of current draw at any time.

Save that trip to town.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

10/18/2010 4:46 PM

sounds good . I think we are good to go with the 10/3w/ground................

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818
In reply to #18

10/19/2010 4:15 AM

Who gets sued if it's wrong and causes a fire?

British Standard 7671?

In reply to #24

10/19/2010 10:40 PM

Well.....no one. The insuarance company would say I was NOT up to code and they could use that as an excuse NOT to pay the policy.

There was a lot of this AFTER Katrina.

My mother died and her small home was never fully taken care due to 'ambiguity'.

10/18/2010 5:14 PM

Ooooops!

Seem I just missed something here.

In the service box I see that my present dryer is connected to 2- 30 amp breakers that are bound together by a clip of some sorts. I had intended to disconnect the old dryer and use that breaker. How and why there are 2-30's connected is beyond me. The old dryer outlet was installed 30 years ago.

There is a black wire of No.10 or No.8 status to each of the breaker brass screws.

I think as a matter of safety, I am now going to have to call in a real electrician.

" A man has to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796
In reply to #19

10/18/2010 5:42 PM

That's called a "quad" breaker, it's done that way to maximize space, perfectly normal. Your load center has bus bars that are split between the two legs of 120V. To get 240V, you must connect to two different legs of 120V. Every other stab is the opposite leg, so two spaces side-by-side give you 240V. But they make "twin" breakers that are two skinny breakers that fit into one 1" space, however they would both be stabbed into the same leg of 120V, so you can't get 240V from a twin. But if you have Two Twins side by side, the two inner ones would be 240V and the two outer ones would be 240V. To make them trip together if there is an overload, the handles are joined. On the two inner ones, it can just be a little pin joining then and you may not even see it. But that can't work for the two outer poles, so they have a big clip that goes around the inner poles and joins the handles.

The only problem with trying to run #8 wire is that it may not fit into the terminals of a 30A dryer receptacle (although it probably will fit in the breaker lugs). If you already have the #10, use that, it's what is the normal size for a dryer receptacle. If you already have the #8 (I got confused with what you were meaning there), then try fitting the #8 into the receptacle terminals before running the cable; it would be a nasty surprise to find out after the fact.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781
In reply to #19

10/18/2010 5:45 PM

A 240V load (in typical US systems) needs circuit breakers in both ungrounded ("hot") lines. This can be done by a 2-pole breaker, or by two 1-pole breakers physically ganged together, as yours are.

With certain types of cable, ambient temperature, and length of run, 10-gauge can handle 30A. In other cases 8-gauge is needed. One item that may matter is whether your wiring is in conduit, buried, in air, separate wires or multi-core, etc.

10/18/2010 6:16 PM

Other postings responded with respect to safety and code. That is by far the most important way to look at the issue.

When I wired up my MIG I wanted to use "excess is best", but it had to fit in the conduit. I used 4 AWG in the conduit. I also needed to make an extension cord but 8 AWG was the largest I could easily get. I used http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm to obtain voltage drops. They have both charts and an on-line calculator.

Anonymous Poster

10/19/2010 12:31 AM

The wire size should be 10/3 AWG plus a grounding conductor. If the installation is done using Romex wire or if in condit (with copper conductors). If using aluminum (not recomended), the wire should be upsided to #8, but the OCPD should remain at 30AMP. The distance between the electrical panel and the location of the dryer is short enough that there will be no significant voltage drop to require a larger size of wire.

In order to confirm this, please look at the label provided with the appliance (normally in the back of it) and check to see if it list the actual amperage of the appliance and/or the size of he overcurrwent protection required.

You can also use the information provided in the electrical cord that is provided with the dryer, the cord will have an specific configuration for the connection to a 30A - 250VAC 4-wire receptacle.

If the cord is not installed on the appliance when purchased or delivered, when installing it, make sure to remove the grounding strap in the appliance from the grounded conductor (neutral) terminal, the one with the white wire (sometimes this strap is attached to this terminal if a three terminal cord will be used) and screw it to the frame or green screw provided inside the electrical compartment where the cord is being connected and connect the green conductor from the cord to this terminal also.

Hope this info will help you.

Jaime

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Anonymous Poster

10/19/2010 5:59 AM

100 million dryers are installed with 10/2 with ground, there is no neutral on a dryer.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Power-User

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #25

10/19/2010 11:36 AM

Yes, there is a neutral on a dryer. The motor and timer/control circuits are 120 volt and require a neutral. only the heating element is 240 volt. This is why current codes require a separate neutral and ground.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Active Contributor
Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #32

10/19/2010 11:44 AM

I see I was a little late with my reply. Good Answer to you.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor
Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #25

10/19/2010 11:39 AM

Wrong. The timer and other control circuits are 120V. The have a neutral and use just one of the hot legs to get 120volts. Here in the U.S. anyway.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster

10/19/2010 7:37 AM

You ever wonder if engineers are too smart for their own good. The question was simple until the engineer put his two cents in. Yes 10/3 is fine for a 30A circuit. You do not need to derate.

Done.

Stop complicating things because it makes yourself feel better and more superior.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

In reply to #26

10/19/2010 7:03 PM

Really? No problem running 200 feet for a 30A load with #10 wire then? How about 1000 ft. or 2000 ft.?

Irresponsible answer. In all likelihood 10-3 is fine, but technically, length and load are the determining factors, not what everyone else who is not an engineer does.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63

10/19/2010 8:09 AM

There is a bit of missing information here - what is the actual load of the dryer? The 10/3 is correct for 30A, where there is no additional considerations, but if the draw of the dryer at full load is close to 30A, and we do have a motor load as well as an inductive in rush current for the heating coils, the 8/3 would definitely be safer, even required dependent on the missing information. Unless initial costs are the only consideration, bigger wire is always better. If nothing else, think of the infinitesimal savings from the reduced resistance.

10/19/2010 8:13 AM

Go to your local book store and buy UGLY'S Electrical references, therein you'll find the info you need for this sort of thing. If you're going to be wiring circuits you'll need to become more familiar. In that booklet which is based on the National Electrical Code you'll also find that depending on the type wire used your ampacities will vary but I agree with the general consensus that 10/3 is sufficient if this will be a dedicated circuit which by code it should be for a single family dwelling.

10/19/2010 9:53 AM

Code is 10/3 30 Amp Breaker!

GL

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 45

10/19/2010 3:56 PM

Run 12/2 with ground, install a gas dryer, and replace the 30A (assumed 2 pole) with a 20A single pole breaker.

Move the MIG welder to the bathroom and rig up a high voltage heating element to heat the gunshot shells in the smaller confines of the bathroom. The bathroon can then provide double duty as a sauna.

OH; and do not try this at home

In reply to #35

10/19/2010 11:00 PM

.we got a wood burning stove and No.3 wash tub........don;t need any 'lectric sauna thingy.

10/19/2010 4:16 PM

Thank you all.

I just found out that the code for our parish ( county to the rest of you all) requires a 50 amp service and 8/3/w/ ground. I either wire it to code or if there is an accident, I collect zilch from the insurance company.

Thank you all for the input and the wiring diagrams. It'll be an easier job and peace of mind.

nm

In reply to #36

10/19/2010 6:55 PM

Smarter than the average parish OMHO - sorry about the trip to town

In reply to #36

10/19/2010 7:07 PM

Huh... 50A is typically the service size for an electric range. Maybe in your parish there are a lot of people who cook in the laundry room...

In reply to #39

10/19/2010 8:30 PM

Maybe they just want you to provision your laundry room for a MIG welder.

10/19/2010 10:59 PM

More like spend money on materials. If 50 Amps is safer then I am all for it. Luckily I did not run all that conduit and wire yet.

I'll use the trip to town to take the wife out to eat some store bought food.

Besides, the larger capacity dryer will let us do laundry and soften up the .308 casings all at the same time.

Oh Oh.....gotta' go. I hear the grandkids welding the hinges on the door again!

In reply to #43

10/20/2010 7:26 AM

With that new high powered dryer, you all should be making a bundle on the jerky. Them big dryers will turn out more road kill jerky than most families can eat. (less the in-laws are still in the trailer)

In reply to #45

10/20/2010 9:35 AM

Actually....and I am dead serious...... there are a lot of folks down here that take out the filter, remove the vent hose and put 100/lb. count ( really small) boiled shrimp in crawfish ( woven type) sacks to make dried shrimp.

As the 20 - 30 lb.sack of shrimp tumbles, the shrimp shells break off and blow out the vent hole.....leaving you with delicious cholesterol filled and highly salty shrimp.

Much better than road kill jerky but not quite as good as 'dilla on the half shell.

Rusts the hell out of the dryer though. It works better than drying them outside on wooden planks and no bird poop in the product!

Heading for the shop.........speak with you all later on.........thank you all for the information.

nm

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (3); Anonymous Poster (4); bob c (5); BruceFlorida (4); dvmdsc (1); JohnIII (2); JRaef (3); lrsheldon (1); lyn (1); mortoch (2); netmaker (13); not so smart (1); Phys (1); PWSlack (1); szwasta (1); Tornado (1); Vlerk (2)

Previous in Forum: Overvoltage Limit Alarm on Sag Mill   Next in Forum: Duct Heater Replacement

Advertisement