Previous in Forum: James Webb Space Telescope: An Antiscience Tragedy Unfolding   Next in Forum: The 70 Online Databases that Define Our Planet
Close
Close
Close
90 comments
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129

Name Pluto's New Moon!

07/20/2011 1:37 PM

I figured I'd put up a fun post. Hubble has recently discovered a new moon orbiting Pluto. Although very small, 8-20 miles in diameter, it still deserves a name. Right now it's designation is P4.

What would you name it?

Pluto's other moons are named Charon, Hydra, and Nix.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/science/pluto-moon.html

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Re: Name Pluto's New Moon!

07/20/2011 1:44 PM

I would name it Lethe since it is so small and hard to find.

In Classical Greek, the word Lethe literally means "oblivion", "forgetfulness," or "concealment". I'm using the name in the last sense.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #1

07/20/2011 1:54 PM

I like your suggested Lethe. Has a nice ring to it.

I was sort of thinking Kyneê. This a reference to the aidos kyneê (Cap of Invisibilty) that was given to Pluto by the Cyclopes.

These are both better that P4.

In reply to #2

07/20/2011 2:24 PM

That's a pretty cool one too.

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Greece - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #1

07/21/2011 3:22 AM

In Greek language, "Lethe" (i.e. "λήθη") mainly means "oblivion". So, would you like this little moon to be "forgotten"???... ...

Good Answers: 206

07/20/2011 2:13 PM

Moonoid

The Engineer

In reply to #3

07/20/2011 2:59 PM

Gets right to the point. GA.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

07/20/2011 3:11 PM

Spiffy!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38
In reply to #3

07/24/2011 8:04 PM

my first thought :p

asteroid?

Good Answers: 125

07/20/2011 3:13 PM

Nugat - short for nugatory.

In reply to #7

07/20/2011 3:27 PM

Nugatory sounds like a delicious caramel and nougaty alternative to purgatory.

Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Power-User

Good Answers: 14

07/20/2011 3:15 PM

What about Hephaestus?

(maybe we should find a larger and hotter object though..)

The Engineer

In reply to #8

07/20/2011 3:29 PM

That's lame.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week...wait, where is everyone going???

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

07/20/2011 3:32 PM

How about Spot.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

07/20/2011 4:35 PM

I'll put in Cephas...

07/20/2011 4:49 PM

Nanus Selene (dwarf moon) for a dwarf plant...

Good Answers: 33

07/20/2011 5:26 PM

I go for "Micro" it is short, and fits to a small moon, on the other hand everyone know what such a name means!

In reply to #14

07/20/2011 6:16 PM

I refuse to go Metric till Europe starts using Metric time. Fair is fair.

Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #17

07/21/2011 12:35 AM
I know! I'm doing

my part; I bought a metric Crescent wrench just last Tuesday. I'm even planning on refitting my shop with a metric vice and drill chucks. (Maybe a metric yardstick or two as well).

We are going metric inch by inch! I think I heard this first from AH.

Seriously though, the strangest thing to me is the mixing of SI and Imperial units; e.g. we use units of adhesive coating weight of g/100in2. I understand why this came about; we have gram scales and inch-ruled paper cutters (the operators cut a 10" x 10" piece of paper, weigh it, stick it on the coated release liner, remove, and reweigh).

Other coating and material mass/area units that I deal with are lb/R (R = Ream = 300 ft2), oz/yd2, and g/m2, depending on which market you are dealing with.

Needless to say, I've got the conversion factors memorized.

I guess you could say that I've worked with both SI and Imperial units for so long, it doesn't matter to me what is used.

My take on US conversion to SI: machining would take a big hit, even if the demand for metric parts was high (which I don't think it is currently). What say you Milo, am I on or off?

Off-Topic? Yes. (Thanks for being honest!)
United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #30

07/21/2011 3:48 AM

We contruct our part numbers based on the diameter in inches; we talk about our pipe diameters in inches, but lengths in millimetres (we actually buy them as metric diameters); we designate our sheet thicknesses in SWG, but buy them in metris, so "16swg" is 1.5 mm thick...something that confused my boss, who has memorised that 16swg = 1.62 mm. I pulled out a conversion chart I was given years ago with swg/mm/<my company mmm> on....

We buy our catalysts from the US, with loadings measured in g/ft3...which is a darned sight easy to deal with than calculating stuff from properties standardly quoted in: g/m2, g/cm3 and mm - at least it is when you have the powers of 10 disbility I have!

I do weights and lengths in Imperial, but power in metric (I just don't have a feel for a btu...I kinda know what a kW feels like).

PS: is a Crescent wrench the same as an adjustable spanner? And have you picked p a couple of lefthanded screwdrivers, to avoid allegations of discrimination?

Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Popular Science - Weaponology -

Good Answers: 39

07/20/2011 6:06 PM

Rosebud.

Or Calyx Rosea, if you prefer.

Or just Calyx.

Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
The Engineer

In reply to #15

07/20/2011 6:15 PM

What does it mean!!! Damn you Orson Welles!!!

Really liked this one. It was his dying words in Citizen Kane, which makes it tied to Pluto (god of the underworld) and also pays homage to a cinema classic. GA.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Popular Science - Weaponology -

In reply to #16

07/20/2011 6:21 PM

Oh! It means all that??

I was just naming it after my hamster!

The Engineer

In reply to #18

07/20/2011 6:45 PM

That is one complicated hamster.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #18

07/21/2011 3:57 AM

Whatever - it gets my vote ;o)

In reply to #16

07/20/2011 8:40 PM

Hey! Where's my GA? You tease.

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 144

07/20/2011 7:34 PM

On the Stygian navigation theme.. Lorelei might fit.

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #20

07/20/2011 11:50 PM

ex-wife?

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 144
In reply to #27

07/21/2011 5:00 AM

Bump in the road.... Lorelei itself is not easy to miss, but the way is narrow and fraught with hidden dangers, as per the 'legend' of the river siren.

I guess I was imagining what it would be like to try to land on a planet with 4+ tight little moons! and wondering if there is other stuff too small for us to see from here..

Good Answers: 1662

07/20/2011 7:37 PM

We shall call it "SPeCK".

Guru

Good Answers: 165

07/20/2011 8:00 PM

Déjà Moon

Pluto was declassified as a planet ~ 2-3 years ago? So it fits the "false recognition" definition.

The other definition is "already seen" - which it obviously has been (P4).

I guess I just go for the ironic, and the double entendre!

In reply to #22

07/20/2011 8:29 PM

Personally I don't recognize the International Astronomical Union as a valid authority. I based this on several criteria:

1. Most authoritative organizations of scientists have "American", "National", or "European" in their title (AUI doesn't).

2. Most authoritative organizations of scientists have "Society" or "Association" in their title (AUI doesn't).

3. It's a well know fact that it is extremely rare for any scientific authoritative statement to originate in Prague. (Usually Paris or London).

Based on the above considerations (and others), I regretfully had to demote the AUI to a "semiauthoity", a classification to be known in the future as a AUIoid.

Thus the AUIoid, being a AUiod, lacked the authority to demote Pluto in 2006. Therefore it never happened. I'm sure you're as relieved as I am. Unfortunately this means that your name for the moon no longer makes sense. I regret that because it was clever, but we can't go around calling AUIoids "authorities", it just doesn't make sense.

Guru

In reply to #23

07/20/2011 8:38 PM

That's right. IAU is bogus. We all know it's only the International Star Registry that can name celestial bodies!

The Engineer

In reply to #24

07/20/2011 8:43 PM

As long as they aren't in Prague when they do it.

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 177
In reply to #26

07/21/2011 1:09 PM

Agreed, the IAU is bogus. Just like the UN, which incidentally is a waste of money and time just as assuredly as the IAU is.

I say we all sign a petition to bring Pluto back to planetary status and thumb our collective noses that the IAU! LOL (hey, a little yellow planet with eyeballs and teeth!? hehehehe)

***WAVING to my upstate neighbor*** Howzit going Roger? LTNS lately!

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

07/20/2011 11:53 PM

How about Warren?

Guru

In reply to #28

07/21/2011 4:01 AM

In reply to #28

07/21/2011 2:03 PM

Underrated player. When I think of the old Houston Oilers, I think of Warren Moon.

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

07/21/2011 12:09 AM

Mickey!

(But who owns whom?)

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Genetics - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

Location: The Nevernever as much as possible, Earth when I have no choice.
Good Answers: 11

07/21/2011 1:41 AM

I suggest Styx, or Hella. They are easy to remember and they fit with the underworld theme.

Dragon

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 70

07/21/2011 6:07 AM

Del (hard to find when hiding in his special places)

In reply to #37

07/22/2011 5:43 AM

For you maybe, for me it is a doddle.

ER
Cat Wrangler to the Stars

Good Answers: 23

07/21/2011 7:05 AM

Pluto is the name of a well known dog. Why not FLEA for its moon?

May be pronounced fleeyah...

Good Answers: 25

07/21/2011 7:54 AM

I would like to name it as "NANO".

07/21/2011 8:02 AM

MOONS are concentric in orbit this one is eccentric how about Hollow Q4 OR destiny unknown p4.Important to realize this consen can abrupt and be debris with no holding pattern. The so called moon is as described however there is no geocentricism with the orbital pattern so its deb-re.

Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Greece - Member - New Member

07/21/2011 8:05 AM

I propose to call it Cerberus.

According to Greek mythology Cerberus was a huge, three-headed dog who was guarding the under-world (so no dead soul could escape). Pluto was the god of the under-world. So, as this moon is turning around Pluto (like 'guarding' Pluto and his under-world), I think this is a proper name.

In reply to #41

07/22/2011 5:46 AM

And a nice symmetry with Hydra

Good Answers: 2

07/21/2011 8:30 AM

CR4 ADMIN: Deleted Post

Vulgar/Rude/Improper Behavior: This post was deleted because it did not adhere to the behavioral policies of the site. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ and the CR4 Rules of Conduct.

Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Associate

Good Answers: 1

07/21/2011 10:27 AM

PROTEUS

in Greek legend, he was the old man of the sea. If seized and held, he would foretell the future.

Heck, maybe P4 can get our body back as a planet where it rightfully belongs (orbits a star in a regular pattern-albeit shaken by four other orbiting moons).

Good Answers: 4

07/21/2011 12:05 PM

Sorry. Because Pluto is not a "planet" anymore it can't have a "moon".

The Engineer

In reply to #44

07/21/2011 1:22 PM

See comment #23

Guru
Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 140

07/21/2011 1:45 PM

How about "Sagan"? Few other names have stirred the same levels of imagination as his has. I know he has an asteroid named after him, he deserves better, at least IMHO.

In reply to #47

07/21/2011 2:02 PM

GA. Or how about Jack Horkheimer?

Anonymous Poster #1

07/21/2011 2:23 PM

News Flash

Date line Prague

The International Astronomical Union announced today after an emergency hearing centered on controversial information regarding P4, Pluto's newly discovered satellite.

By unanimous vote P4 shall henceforth be named "Roger"

Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #50

07/21/2011 2:34 PM

HILARIOUS!

I will show approval with a GA vote.

Good Answers: 37

07/21/2011 3:36 PM

You all missed MINNIE !

07/21/2011 4:41 PM

Goofy Sounds good to me after all this is a Mickey Mouse world we live in today. ;0)

07/21/2011 5:43 PM

I would name it after ME! Having been a such good guy for many decades, I believe it is the least mankind could do for me! ha ha ha just kidding!

In reply to #54

07/21/2011 8:43 PM

You want to name it r&ddoc?

I'm in.

Guru

In reply to #56

07/22/2011 8:42 AM

... should r&ddoc be too long for a tiny moon, just call it "X" ... and I´ll know it was named after me! hahahahaha

In reply to #60

07/22/2011 4:31 PM

I don't know, I really like the idea of a moon with an Ampersand in its name. I feel like that's what would happen if Prince was one of three people deciding the name.

Neil deGrasse Tyson - I was thinking something like Kyneê.

John C Mather - That's not bad, Prince, what do you think?

Prince (Finishes licking his guitar string, stares blankly for 5 minutes, then says) - We name it should name it

Guru

In reply to #61

07/22/2011 4:37 PM

Hmmm... a man holding a Napoleon hat on his head...

Power-User

Good Answers: 17

07/21/2011 6:21 PM

Styx, or is that taken?

Power-User

07/21/2011 10:14 PM

Mini-moon or Stumpy

Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

07/23/2011 11:51 PM

Roger, Is this one of those discoveries using the Hubble telescope that is important enough to destroy the US economy for? If so, I recommend the name Eco

In reply to #63

07/24/2011 12:39 AM

I can't believe you're so lame as to come taunt me on this lighthearted thread.

Guru

In reply to #64

07/24/2011 1:33 AM

GA Roger and BTW a Stirling job on ignoring the previous one.

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #64

07/25/2011 8:02 PM

In that thread you said "exquisite Ad Hominem attack". I repeat the compliment.

To get 'serious' about a 'fun' topic: All the moons have Greek mythology names. The third largest is called Nix which means nothing. Since the new moon is less than nothing, lets name it Minos.

Location: Ground Zero of the Pompous and self important....Washington DC
Good Answers: 8

07/25/2011 10:12 AM

Pooh..... Pun intended.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 816

07/26/2011 11:12 AM

In reply to #69

07/26/2011 1:08 PM

tetracycline?

07/26/2011 1:17 PM

I'm putting in Apollonius. it means Son of Apollo.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38
In reply to #71

07/28/2011 2:05 AM

shouldn't it be Plutonius then.

maybe it should be called Deathstar

07/27/2011 4:18 AM

Politics/Religion: This post was deleted because it was overly religious or political. While each user is entitled to his or her own opinion on these topics, CR4 is not the place for discussion about them. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ and the CR4 Rules of Conduct.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #72

07/27/2011 8:38 AM

oh goody

not just a believer of overunity myths

a Fox news watcher too

Guru

In reply to #72

07/27/2011 10:27 AM

from what I hear, Obama is putting out Reagan era policies.. really out there I agree.

Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #72

07/28/2011 1:16 PM

Dear all, although rules are very important in our daily life, I always wonder what may have been written for a comment to be deleted, as many of us may agree (or not) with the deletion. Why not creating a tray called "Corner Of Deleted Postings" where everyone can take a look (but not reply ) to these comments? The decision of reading the content of this tray is the sole responsibility of the person who reads it ... and as all of us are grown up people there are probably very few comments that might offend our sensibility to the point of jumping out of a window! The positive side of my proposal is that reading these comments will also let us know whom we are dealing with, as we also will have the right of not getting involved in discussions with this person/s.

In reply to #76

07/28/2011 8:58 PM

That's been suggested before - but now we have a "Feedback" section, might be worth posting that suggestion there?

(I agree it is annoying not knowing what was said/deleted. The trick would be, if having read it, people would have the self control not to respond in some way and so continue the undesirable tangent?)

In reply to #77

07/29/2011 7:53 AM

Right! That is also the basis of democracy!

When you say: "would have the self control not to respond.." This should not be an issue either: I guess most of the participants would not get involved, nor the potential conclusions (if) will affect anyone. Most of these discussions are "hot" for a couple of days and will certainly be forgotten in a week... if not, just let it go on forever: who cares? It will do no harm.

In reply to #79

07/29/2011 8:30 AM

CR4 is a site owned by GS - as such, no more a democracy than any other Corporate.

This is made crystal clear in the FAQ's. So basically; if CR4 feel it will "do no harm" to CR4's image, they let it stand. If not, they don't.

Ref the second post; same answer as above, inc post such in Feedback.

In reply to #81

07/29/2011 8:36 AM

I strongly adhere to what Oscar says in your "signature"!

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #76

07/28/2011 10:08 PM

It was an Anti-Obama rant

off topic

nothing that doesn't stay on other threads

someone was offended & hit the report button

Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #78

07/29/2011 8:05 AM

This "reporting" issue is something I dislike, as it is made anonymously (admin knows, but not the rest of us) and it is a sign of intolerance, shortmindness or low IQ!

In reply to #80

07/29/2011 8:39 AM

Report is a form of community moderation

ever notice how free of spam we are here?

Guru

In reply to #83

07/29/2011 10:49 AM

Right... but as I live in a country where we have had a dictatorship almost during the entire "Cold War", every time somebody tells me what to do... or not to read I tend to get a little anxious. Just that...

In reply to #84

07/29/2011 12:27 PM

Given the choice I wouldn't have any moderation in any but the most extreme cases

as 34.5 pointed out GS/CR$ gets to make the final decisions about such things

we are just the entertainment/content

Guru

In reply to #85

07/29/2011 2:54 PM

Just noticed you live in Mariposa: Nice place!!!!! A couple of years ago I rented a bike and drove 1,5 k miles all around that area!

In reply to #86

07/29/2011 3:39 PM
Guru

In reply to #85

07/29/2011 5:38 PM

some of us are more entertainment than content!

Guru

In reply to #88

07/29/2011 8:59 PM

It's a big tent

room for everyone...

Participant

08/08/2011 8:28 AM

Rok proposes to name Pluto's new moon "Falgor", because in his interpretation it means "small, but mighty", i.e. "petit, pero poderos".

Reply to Forum Thread 90 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (4); Anonymous Poster (1); artsmith (2); Bayes (16); bioramani (1); bobthefarmer (1); Calnet42 (1); CaptMoosie (1); charsley99 (1); chrisg288 (5); dcpppf (1); Doorman (2); Dragonsfarm (1); dthomas16 (1); English Rose (5); Epke (2); Fredski (1); G.K. (2); Garthh (6); Gazu (1); h2om (1); jack of all trades (1); Kilowatt0 (1); lulu (1); lyn (1); Mikerho (2); North of 60 (1); Out of Box Experience (5); Phaddy (1); PWSlack (1); r&ddoc (9); RDGRNR (1); robin.muir (1); Rok (1); Smoothy (1); StandardsGuy (2); suresh sharma (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (1); WJMFIRE (1); zen (1)

Previous in Forum: James Webb Space Telescope: An Antiscience Tragedy Unfolding   Next in Forum: The 70 Online Databases that Define Our Planet

Advertisement