Previous in Forum: Coronal Mass Ejection Turns Out the Lights   Next in Forum: Solving a Problem...
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 33

Was it a Meteorite or NASA´s Satellite Debris?

09/26/2011 8:08 AM

Early this morning 1/4 of a block (*) was destroyed in a laborers housing area, about 30 km south from our capital, Buenos Aires.

One person was killed, six injured. Some eye witnesses said they saw a fireball falling from the sky, while other say they first heard a blast, and then a very intense light followed by a huge explosion.

Rescue teams are searching the area for more victims.

Still no photos on the newspapers. The image below was captured from the first TV reporter that arrived to the site short after the "explosion".

In the images you can see chunks of concrete about 50 meters away from the structures they belonged to.

In reference to a discussion about CNG we had some days ago: some images showed a car disintegrated by the blast, the trunk is half open and a yellow CNG gas tank can be seen trough the opening. Reporter informed no gas leaks!

(*) blocks measure 100 x 100 meters in our country

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

Re: Was it a Meteorite or NASA´s Satellite Debris?

09/26/2011 8:30 AM

Neither, it was a:

Bug Attack

09/26/2011 8:30 AM
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

09/26/2011 8:41 AM

That's big damage. There's no way to tell what caused it at this time. I'm curious to see if this will be reported in the US.

Keep us posted.

In reply to #3

09/26/2011 8:46 AM

Well.... depending on the relations between our countries today, NASA´s satellite or a meteorite may be blamed....

In reply to #4

09/26/2011 9:07 AM

Right..........I've got the news on in the background, (in the US), and haven't heard anything at all. I'm beginning to lean toward satellite debris.

In reply to #4

09/26/2011 9:22 AM

In reply to #6

09/26/2011 9:58 AM

If this is accurate, it's unlikely it was the satellite.

It should be easy enough to determine if the house was the center of the blast.

In reply to #7

09/26/2011 10:14 AM

Yes, but: Some 26 pieces of the satellite representing 1,200 pounds of heavy metal had been expected to rain down somewhere. The biggest surviving chunk should be no more than 300 pounds.

perhaps in Argentina.....????

In reply to #8

09/26/2011 11:10 AM

It's possible.

The size and shape of the debris field should be able to quickly determine if it was a blast that came from a house, or something falling at an angular trajectory from above.

[edit] I misread the news article from my earlier post. They have ruled out a gas explosion.

Hmmm................fireball from the sky. I guess when they locate it, it will either look like rock, (meteor), or metal, (satellite debris).

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

09/26/2011 11:21 AM

NASA satellite falls on Canada as space junk -- No one hurt

By Patrik Jonsson | Published Mon, Sep 26 2011 8:36 am

The wait is over. NASA's bus-sized Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) has fallen, becoming the largest runaway chunk of space junk to drop back down to Earth since two satellites, including the behemoth Sky Lab, punched the atmosphere in 1979.

"We can now confirm that #UARS is down!" reported the official NASA Twitter account. "Debris fell to Earth between 11:23 p.m. EDT Friday, Sept. 23, and 1:09 a.m. EDT Sept. 24."

The satellite, broken up into 26 titanium and other hard alloy pieces expected to survive the fiery descent, reportedly fell at least partly on land. Twitter and YouTube reports pinpointed landfall in Okotoks, Canada, near Calgary.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #10

09/26/2011 12:10 PM

So, about midnight Eastern Daylight time. Isn't that about 2:00 AM in Argentina? I think that was the approx time listed in the Herald article.

Is this some sort of crazy coincidence?

In reply to #12

09/26/2011 12:42 PM

Is this some sort of crazy coincidence?
Of course it may be a coincidence, but our planet is quite small when seen from the space... a fragment that got a couple of degrees apart from the main body of the satellite could have easily fallen AT THE SAME TIME 9,000 miles away!

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

In reply to #13

09/26/2011 12:52 PM

The timing certainly makes one think it very possibly is a chunk of the UARS.

As you say, an early break-off part, deflected a few degrees could have that result.

09/26/2011 11:59 AM

The spot is currently searched by the Police and Fire Dept experts. Gas explosions have been ruled out so far. I do not necessarily mean that this was caused by the recently fallen NASA satellite. There are tons of all kind of stuff orbiting around our planet which (following some concepts once postulated by Mr. Isaac Newton) will hit ground anytime.

It will take some time not to know what happened here.

09/26/2011 1:04 PM

This is the picture a witness took with his cell phone from what he saw in the sky.

Sorry for the size of the picture, but I could not resize it.... <sized it down a tad for you! --CR4 Admin Merph>

United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #15

09/26/2011 1:49 PM

Hi R&D,

Very interesting thread, thank you!

Any idea where the witness is from, Argentina, Canada, ect.?????

Regards - KJK

In reply to #16

09/26/2011 2:08 PM

Hi KJK, I am glad you found (*) and liked the thread! There are still a lot of speculations about what might have caused the damages. The guy who took the picture is from Argentina... but the authenticity of the image still has to be proved.

Despite there are reports from many other witnesses, my question is how come so many people were looking into the sky at 2 AM to see all they describe!

(*) it was removed from CR4 front page 30 min after posting it!

Regards

In reply to #17

09/26/2011 8:09 PM

Don't be surprised if it shows back up on the front page. Between the timing of the event, and so many eye witnesses. This is worthy of the front page. Plus I still haven't heard any news reports from the US on it.

In reply to #18

09/27/2011 7:37 AM

The excavators have already cleared the terrain, and nothing was found yet. Speculations can be divided into different fields: Aerospatial (satellite debris, fallen meteorite, UFO, etc). Gas explotion: a lot (5 or so) of undamaged propane bottles + 1 CNG cylinder in a car were found undamaged. Gas2: gas leak from a semi-industrial oven + voltaic arch from nearby passing high tension cables. Narcotics: the possibility of facing a cocaine refinery was also considered. No traces of narcotics. Some people illegally manufacture firecrackers, blowing into air every now and then. No gunpowder traces were found either. Still a mistery.....

In reply to #19

09/27/2011 9:54 AM

Forgot to tell: the guy who took the picture from the "light in the sky" I posted yesterday with his cell phone is under arrest as the investigators had proven it is fake.

In reply to #20

09/27/2011 10:27 AM

Here is a news story, and it has a link to the youtube video he provided. Looks like a refinery flare to me.

This site has some information that indicates it is most unlikely that a fragment of the UARS is responsible for the explosion. Puzzling.

Where is George Noory when you need him?

In reply to #21

09/27/2011 11:21 AM

You are right: if you pay attention to the background noises, you can hear vehicles passing at high speed. These images are fake and were taken at the Buenos Aires - La Plata HWY. The flare belongs to a petroleum refinery that faces the Rio de la Plata river. This is probably 10 km away from the explosion site, and has no relation to yesterdays episode. On the other hand I can´t understand how people continue doing jokes about this, ´cause a guy who presented a fake picture yesterday was prosecuted.

In reply to #22

09/28/2011 4:24 PM

This is shaping up like a gas leak.

This article says possibly a weak gas connection to a pizza oven. Nothing definite yet, though.

Many people are sticking with their stories about a fireball from the sky. Perhaps a burning chunk blown into the air that they saw come back down?

Good Answers: 44

09/28/2011 5:22 PM

Amateur blast analysis says this is a mere conincidence. There is no crater, the blast pattern indicates a gas explosion, the radius of destruction is inconsistent with a falling heavenly body (again with no crater).

My neighbor's cat died that night, too. I think it was hit by a piece of NASA satellite, but the evidence was marred by tire tracks.

Reply to Forum Thread 24 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

cuba_pete (1); Doorman (4); Hendrik (1); KJK/USA (1); kramarat (6); r&ddoc (10); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Coronal Mass Ejection Turns Out the Lights   Next in Forum: Solving a Problem...

Advertisement