Previous in Forum: AISI or UNS Equivalent Steel of the A 148 Grade 85-50   Next in Forum: Density of High Speed Diesel
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Power-User
CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Admin

Good Answers: 33

What's Going On with My Polarized Sunglasses?

06/27/2012 6:25 PM

I've searched and searched and I can't find an answer. I'm really surprised that I can't find anything and I really can't think of where else to look, besides the vast amount of knowledge held by our CR4 engineers!

Backstory: I recently got a really nice pair of polarized sunglasses. I think I may have been irresponsible with them by bringing them into contact with salt water at the beach, because something has happened to the lenses that I've never seen before. I have a decent understanding of how polarization works, and I would think this is a layer of the lens that is peeling, got something underneath it (air? salt?) and now it is not crystal clear. It started around the edges, got worse, and has stopped 'spreading'.

The best way I can describe it is from one angle it will look like a layer of the lens is peeling, and at another angle it will look like dust or sand or salt got in there.

I don't know about the nature of the materials used here. So could anyone tell me what might be happening, and if it can be fixed? I brought them to the store they were purchased from and there was nothing they could do. It's getting annoying to look through them, but I'd hate to get rid of them if there is something I can do. If not, at least I'll know. Thanks for the help!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

Re: What's Going On with My Polarized Sunglasses?

06/27/2012 7:10 PM

I does look like they have a layer or film applied to the lens and the bonding agent has been compromised.

If the glasses are still under manufacture's warranty you should return for replacement. You might also be able to talk them into a replacement even if they are not under warranty. If not, just tell them that you really like them and want to work with them. They may make a good will gesture to replace them if you talk nice to them.

If not, call and ask for a price on replacement lenses.

Personally, after having a high priced pair of polarized glass lenses I went back to my old Ray-Bans and I am happier.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #1

02/06/2014 3:57 PM

it's the coating that's coming off due to the exposure of salt waters.... it's not cover under any warranty.... this is why i always recommend our customers to buy a pair of $19.99 DEEP eyewear brand sunglasses if they have to wear sunglasses in the water (pool or beach)

even if the salt water didn't damage the coating, it will rust the hinges....

when your in the water, always wear cheap sunglasses... but the issue with cheap sunglasses are distored lens + cheap quality frame... which is why DEEP eyewear was design for that sole purpose, an optical quality polycarbonate lens (like oakley) with no distortion + designer quality frame that's cheap to replace..

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1733

06/27/2012 7:43 PM

There are different methods of polarization, and different lens materials used...but I don't know of any fixes once this happens...Best to research the type of glasses you want to purchase before you pull the trigger...If you know the lens material and the polarization method, then we may be able to come up with something, but it would be a shot in the dark....I would think twice about spending more money to replace the lenses with the same type that failed....

http://www.sunglassesbuyersguide.com/review%E2%80%94the-return-of-revo-sunglasses/

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/f-body-lounge-24/sunglasses-peeling-713013/

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-515934.html

Good Answers: 1733
In reply to #2

06/27/2012 10:44 PM

"Sunglass lenses are made of either glass, plastic, or SR-91. Plastic lenses are typically made from acrylic, polycarbonate, CR-39 or polyurethane. Glass lenses have the best optical clarity and scratch resistance, but are heavier than plastic lenses. They can also shatter or break on impact. Plastic lenses are lighter and shatter-resistant, but are more prone to scratching. Polycarbonate plastic lenses are the lightest, and are also almost shatterproof, making them good for impact protection. CR-39 is the most common plastic lens, due to low weight, high scratch resistance, and low transparency for ultraviolet and infrared radiation. SR-91 is a proprietary material that was introduced by Kaenon Polarized in 2001. It exhibits all of the benefits of the other lens materials without the flaws. Kaenon's unique lens formulation was the first non-polycarbonate material to pass the high-mass impact ANSI Z.87.1 testing.[25] Additionally, it was the first to combine this passing score with the highest marks for lens clarity. Jerry Garcia's sunglasses had a polykrypton-C type of lens which was 'cutting edge' in 1995."(1)

"Because there are multiple ways of creating a lens, there are multiple ways of applying the polarized filter. The oldest form of polarization is called lamination. This is when a polarized film is placed between two pieces of lens substrate. Although not considered a significant problem today due to improved manufacturing methods - delamination, or the separation of the polarizing film from the lens material, was a major issue for eye care professionals. Glass ophthalmic lenses are still done with the lamination process.

Plastic lenses were also done with lamination, but the newest technology has all but eliminated that procedure for plastic lenses. Plastic polarized lenses are created when the CR-39 is poured into a mold in which the polyvinyl film has already been placed. Due to the heat created by the injection molding process of polycarbonate manufacturing, the polarized filter is placed on the lens blank and then coated with a scratch resistant coating. This helps protect the polarized film from heat degradation. "(3)

"Thermofusion™ Technology sets Polaroid polarizing lenses apart from other lenses. Traditional methods of creating polarized lenses are vacuum-forming, injection moulding and casting. Here we compare the results with Polaroid's lenses. Only Polaroid's Thermofusion™ Technology offers true polarization and perfect optical performance.

Step 3 The lens curve sets as it is subjected to rapid cooling. Once set it is then unloaded for mounting.
Thermofusion™ Technology allows us to produce lenses which are thicker at the centre and tapered towards the edges thereby optically 'fine-tuning' the lens while curving it. Wearers suffer none of the 'warped vision' provided by many inferior quality lenses and the subsequent risk of eye-strain is eliminated."(2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunglasses

http://www.polaroidlenses.com/sunglasses_lens_manufacturer/curving_process_thermofusion_technology.htm

http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2010/05may/content/through_the_lens/future-of-polarization.asp

Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

06/27/2012 8:27 PM

It looks like a layer of metallized film has been laminated to the front of the lenses and that water seeped in around the edges.

Now, metallized film is usually made by depositing aluminum vapor onto the film under vacuum. The amount of deposition determines how transparent the film will be.

When laminating with these films, the metallized layer is always laminated "in". Here's why: If the Al comes in contact with water (and I think that this would be especially true of salt water) it will quickly oxidize - the thinner the coating the quicker the oxidation. The oxidation looks exactly like what is in your photos. I have seen entire rolls of metallized film ruined due to not being packaged well against the weather.

I'm sorry, but if I'm correct, there is no fix for these baby's. I don't know what precautions/directions came with the sunglasses, but, if the glasses were made with a laminated film that came delaminated at the edges that easily (allowing the moisture access to to the Al), I think you got ripped off!

Good Answers: 107
In reply to #3

06/28/2012 4:28 AM

As soon as you said Aluminum it was kristal clear.

Have the same prob with mine and I thought it was just salt. But it does not wash off.

Well better go and buy new ones now.

Thanks for pointing that out

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38

06/27/2012 9:02 PM

As the others are saying the polarizer film is starting to detach from the glass

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

06/27/2012 10:11 PM

Polarizing film is made by stretching a dye-impregnated plastic. Originally iodine was used as the dye, but there are other dyes used now. This film is very flimsy so to make it useable it is then laminated to another plastic (or glass) that is clear but rigid.

It appears that the adhesive used for bonding the two plastics has failed, allowing the polarizing film to shrink back toward its original dimensions before it was stretched. The adhesive might have failed due to poor preparation of the surfaces, a problem with the adhesive when originally applied, excessive heat or humidity, or maybe the salt water.

Good Answers: 32

06/28/2012 10:22 PM

Unless it's a long way away where you bought them, take 'em back and show them. Surely this is covered by a manufacturers warranty?

Good Answers: 45

06/28/2012 10:24 PM

You may want to go with Maui Jim sunglasses. They'll cost you big time but they have a multi-layer lens with glass on the outside. They also have excellent optical quality. You get what you pay for. I've had a pair now for 6 years and they're still great except for a couple of scratches in the glass, my fault.

In reply to #9

03/19/2015 10:23 AM

Maui Jim sunglasses will also peel. I know; I've owned two pairs and the polarizing film (which was bonded to the front surface of the lenses) became separated from the lenses within a year or so after their purchase. The primary culprit seems to be heat. If you live in a hot environment and leave your sunglasses in the car during the summer months, you are simply asking for trouble!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #14

03/19/2015 1:46 PM

The pairs I've had had the polarizer layer bonded between two glass layers. I suppose they have different models.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 422

06/28/2012 10:26 PM

I had some polarized glasses that did that as well, even though they weren't exposed to salt water, but a few excursions into lake water and the occasional washing in the sink with some dish detergent.

Fortunately, mine were $15 sun glasses from Wally World. I'm a firm believer in the ZZ Top recommendation because you know they come in two classes and I always choose the latter.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 102

06/29/2012 12:57 AM

Polarised sunnies are normally used on or even in the water.

A little bog that they are peeling.

I've owned a few and never had this experience. Always wet and salty. They were a reputable brand and that was a long long time ago and far far away.

I can get a pair of disposable polarised sunnies here for around USD5. You'd expect early deterioration in these but it sounds like yours may have been more expensive than those found here.

Good Answers: 8

06/29/2012 5:47 AM

I've had very similar results with the last 2 pair of prescription eye glasses. They were not polarised but were photo-grey with anti-scratch coating. Both took a year or more to start doing this. I guess thats supposed to be the replacement point now a days. I never was able to find anything to help. I did find on mine I could squeeze the lens from both sides and it would be much better but who wants a clamp on their eyeglasses. LOL

Shawn

Register to Reply
Participant

08/22/2015 4:50 PM

i've had the same issue with a pair of ray ban polarized. i don't like swimming so they've never been exposed to pool, lake, pond or ocean water... also never have used any water or cleaning agents on them, only the cleaning cloth it came with with nothing added on it.

mine started to peel one day when i left them in the car over the weekend during hot summer. figured the metal frame got too hot around the edges and caused the coating to come loose, then slowly just kept going after that point.

Register to Reply
Participant

10/14/2016 4:47 PM

Hi

I have similar problem with my Prada polarised sunglasses.

I looks like the outside film is peeling of.

Bought it 2 years ago from The Sunglasshut.

They said warranty expired so they can't help.

Any advise please?

Register to Reply
Participant

05/12/2017 4:03 PM

Ok, now it happened to my good old Slide Arnies. I dont abuse my glasses at all, never expose them to salt water, not even to pool water. I have had these glasses for almost 10 years with no issue at all. However, a couple of months ago i started to leave them on the door pocket of my car outside on very hot days, so as other reviewer stated this may be a thing of exposing the lenses to extremely hot temperatures inside the car. Do you guys know if there is a way to at least remove the damaged filter?... I love these babies and is quite difficult to get original replacement lenses these days. Thank you!

Register to Reply
Participant

05/29/2017 2:57 PM

I have bought, 1 month ago, a new rayban polarized pair of sunglasses (model rb-8315). The lens technology is "Polycarbonate, Polarized" and the lens model is 004/9A .

I have wear the above sunglasses only few times. I never left them in the car, i never used products to clean the lenses except from the cleaning cloth. No scratches, i never touch the lenses with my hands. I never forget them outside from the case. Only once i used water from the tap to clean them, as they suggest me from the store to do with no problem. The result :

If you take a closer look of the pictures tou will notice that the edges arround the lenses, start to be destroied (looks like mice eat it from both sides). This happend only 1 month after i bought it, with minimum of usage. I faced the same problem with my previous sunglasses (seregetti polarized), but then, i thaught that wasn't good enough sunglasses.

Rayban, in their site claim, that 004/9A lenses have no problem with the salted water, but the fact is that you (at least me) can't find an email or phone to report or take information about this problem. I will go to the store that i bought them to repair but, even if they will replace the lenses, i think they will see me again after 1 month or sooner for the same reason...
Any knowledge on this issue will help, or if somebody knows the opinion of an expert is welcome..

thanx
george

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 19 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); Epke (1); gtsouras (1); IdeaSmith (1); Johny451 (1); JVBaum (1); Mikerho (1); murm (1); Parabrisa (1); Pedronqr (1); rcapper (2); Shawn33 (1); SolarEagle (2); team3d (1); Usbport (1); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: AISI or UNS Equivalent Steel of the A 148 Grade 85-50   Next in Forum: Density of High Speed Diesel

Advertisement