Previous in Forum: 1995-Opel Frontera 2,3 TD-Diesel Injection Pump Timing   Next in Forum: 2003 Porsche Boxster Secret Hood Release
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

Toyota Tazz 1400 Starting Problem

12/20/2012 5:54 PM

My wife hs a Tazz 1400 nowadays only used for trips to the Mall or hair dresser (max 2 Km trips) last service was about 3.5 years 5000 km ago. Oil water timing belt etc OK.

About 2 weeks ago the prob;em started when she reversed out of the driveway the engine cut out and could not start it again (sounded as there were no spark or gas)

After about 5 minutes at started ok.

The same happened yesterday but the waiting time was slightly longer.

And today it did the same , cold start perfect but it cuts out as soon and she had to wait much longer.

I suspect a temperature sensor because fan goes on when the cold engine is switched on.

The other culprit might be the immobilizer (3 prong dongle with resistors type)

Any other suggestions The Toyota garages are fully booked at this stage

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Toyota Tazz 1400 starting problem

12/20/2012 6:05 PM

Can't help you. Everything is upside down from here.

Seriously, does this happen only once per trip? Then it's OK?

<Disclaimer> I don't even work on my own vehicles any more.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

In reply to #1

12/21/2012 2:51 AM

I also stopped working om my cars long ago - With a fused back and this multi focal glasses it ain't fun anymore.

I tested it again this morning and it again started like a dream (revs slightly high) after 5 min the revs dropped and the car stalled. Maybe it is time to have the carburetor cleaned.

Good Answers: 34
In reply to #3

12/21/2012 3:12 AM

The float in the carburetor may be stuck/jammed.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 34

Re: Toyota Tazz 1400 Starting Problem

12/21/2012 1:31 AM

I am not sure that any of these links will help you.

How to solve Toyota Tazz 1400 Starting Problem.

Toyota Tazz 1400 user forums

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

12/21/2012 5:08 AM

te

Hendrik,

Just for in case of water in the system; Put a cup of methelated spiritus and any oil in a tank of petrol as well as a bottle injector cleaner. Or bring the car to Jurie at Hermanus WP 3161080 Tell.

Remove wires from themostatic switch and check with Ohm meter ...should be open circuit when cold. Hoop dit werk anders kos dit meer.

Best of luck

juriesa

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

12/23/2012 12:19 AM

Thanks I will try remember the tip.

Nice town you live in - I was there roundabout 3 years ago for a holiday. Stayed in Vermont and rode a bike (martelpyp) to Onrus beach each day for a swim .

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - Fish On! United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 269

12/21/2012 3:54 PM

Sorry, if it was a Chevy Cavalier starting problem, we could probably help you..

Commentator

Good Answers: 5

12/21/2012 10:44 PM

Hello Hendrik, the time it takes for it to start working again is your best friend. When it fails to start *immediately* open the hood, pop a plug wire off, attach a spare plug to it, and have your wife crank it whilst you place the electrode to ground, beign careful not to get shocked yourself.

Is there spark?

No? An ignition module or ignition related sensor is likely bad, or possibly your coil.

Fat blue spark? Then, is it carbureted? Take the air cleaner off. Have your wife pump the gas all the way to the floor whilst you peer down into the throat of the carburetor. You are looking for a stream of fuel coming out of a small pipe about halfway down the carburetor. No stream of fuel, no fuel. Fuel pump.

Fuel injected? Locate the fuel rail. Locate the schrader valve (Like on a bicycle's tire) and using a pen and a rag, wrap the rag around the pen, then depress the relief valve. Does fuel appear on the rag? No fuel on the rag, fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump, or fuel pump relay.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 22

12/21/2012 11:25 PM

Have you tried charging the battery? Many vehicles used only for short trips have not enough time to fully charge while on such a short journey. They maintain enough power to start, but the voltage drops too far for the electronics to function correctly, giving some error - in your case causing the engine to stop. Once the battery recovers some, the engine can restart, and because it is warm the voltage drop is not so much, and will allow normal operation.

I have known cars to develop many strange and sporadic warnings/errors/drop into limp-home mode - all cured by a battery replacement or re-charge.

12/22/2012 1:11 PM

I had the battery tested and it was beyond charging. After replacing the battery the car seems to be ok.

Maybe the immobilizer should be replaced - It did not maintain power to the ignition when the battery was failing.

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #9

12/22/2012 1:53 PM

Maybe the immobilizer should be replaced - It did not maintain power to the ignition when the battery was failing.

They are designed that way - to "avoid damage to other components". (Or to be a PITA, so you buy a new one?)

Good Answers: 102

12/25/2012 7:29 AM

only used for trips to the Mall or hair dresser

Send Toyota a thank you letter. They have saved you from penury.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

GM1964 (2); Hendrik (3); Joshi (2); JPool (1); jurie sa (1); lyn (1); tundrawolf (1); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: 1995-Opel Frontera 2,3 TD-Diesel Injection Pump Timing   Next in Forum: 2003 Porsche Boxster Secret Hood Release

Advertisement