Previous in Forum: Toyota Tazz 1400 Starting Problem   Next in Forum: 1991 Camaro Won't Start
Close
Close
Close
85 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 53

2003 Porsche Boxster Secret Hood Release

12/22/2012 12:51 AM

I've checked all over the internet and have not found a way to open the hood on my 2003 Boxster. The battery is under the hood and it's dead. I've tried the lighter charger trick and no luck. I've tried that red jumper thing that pulls out of the fuse block - no luck. I lifted the right front corner, removed the wheel well clips and pulled back the wheel well liner and no secret release cable. They say this is where the cable is suppose to be. They also said that someone may have moved it to a location that is easier to access (where the cover on the bumper is) - no cable there. I was told the 911 has the cable on the left side, so I haven't done that yet, but I'm ready to try.

If anyone has ever successfully done this, please let me know. I'm getting desperate!

Thank you.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 34

Re: 2003 Porsche Boxster secret hood release

12/22/2012 1:03 AM

'I've checked all over the internet'

May I request you to have a look again at these links?

How to open the hood on my 2003 Boxster.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #1

12/22/2012 2:19 AM

Thanks. I've seen them all and I still can't find the cable pull. I did notice that some people say it is suppose to be on the right and some say left. I've seen photos of the right side for Boxster and left for 911.

I may have to pull the left wheel well cover and give it a shot.

Good Answers: 45

12/22/2012 1:52 AM

Found this forum it has a little info.

Can you hear the latch servo working by using the fuse panel wire access?

In this forum there info on the electrical access and clearer info on the mechanical access.

Last one this forum has good info and pics. And some good hints and tricks also.

Hope these forums help.

Charles

In reply to #2

12/22/2012 2:22 AM

Thanks Charles,

I've read these forums and I haven't found the secret cable. There is a hole in the metal behind the wheel well liner. There is a grommet, so it looks like a cable should come out, but nothing. I've see photos showing the cable on the right for Boxsters and left for 911's. I was hoping I could get someone who has actually done this for a 2003 Boxster.

Thank you.

Greg

Guru

In reply to #4

12/26/2012 1:58 AM

This was on the third forum I listed. Same one as another poster cut the pic from. This one was on down in the form.

Hope you find your hidden release cable. Hopefully someone has not remove it or it was not a mon/fri build car.

"Just wanted to share today's success with getting the front lid open. 2004 Boxster S, customer replaced the switch but lid would not unlatch. Not a low battery problem, the actuator could be heard to move, but not hard enough. Used this forum and others to research the location of the emergency release cable. Seems the most common answer is "drivers side wheel well", but one post talked about the "passenger side wheel well". Pelican's picture of the latch shows the cables going off to the right, towards the passenger side. Sure enough, we finally found the cable on the passenger side, inside the headlight frame. As one poster mentioned, you cannot see it, but you can feel it. We will attach a red label to the loop for the next guy,"

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #69

12/26/2012 4:55 AM

It looks like a useful post for the OP. I hope it helps.....

Sadly, we all post badly with regard to the "sides" of a car. We should use "left & right" and not "driver & passenger" side.......Many forget that some car makers, especially over the last 20 years, mix and match and "sides"......that is they move some stuff around depending upon where the driver sits, and some stuff doesn't......no rhyme or reason....

In reply to #70

12/26/2012 9:30 PM

I agree, right and left are a better way to communicate. For instance, in Japan, England, Australia (and maybe other British colonies), the steering wheel is on the right (wrong side to us in the US and most of Europe). The thing we all need to understand is that the side of the car is determined by facing the same direction the car drives. Someone posted that you sit in the car to determine right or left.

In reply to #69

12/26/2012 9:22 PM

Thanks for the tip. I was not expecting it to be there. I'll take a look and hopefully get the hood open. Also, I was told the following: If you hear the actuator click, it may be a jammed latch. Try pushing down on the hood at the same time that someone hits the switch.

I'll let you know if I find the hook/release.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 140
In reply to #72

05/11/2020 9:23 PM

To open the hood some real Boxter fans put a blonde (mostly an articulated girl model) on the hood while pulling that pin.

In reply to #83

05/11/2020 9:52 PM

My blonde is not allowed to sit on the hood!

In reply to #69

02/17/2013 10:03 AM

I have spent the last 3 weekends searching for the elusive release cable in my 2001 Boxster S. After reading this post I decided to give it one more look. When I removed the splash guard on the right hand side I couldn't see the cable, but following closer inspection I saw that it was in the location shown in metalSmiths post. It was hard to see and get hold of as it was tucked in between the head light and the metal tray (cable to LHS of the black headlight housing). I removed the whole splash guard so I could get a better access. Didn't have to remove any grommets as discussed in some forums. I've also been told that if you have this problem in a 2.5/2.7 there is no radiator in the centre of the bumper and you might be able to get access to the mechanism from underneath.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #74

02/17/2013 11:27 AM

Good deal, Glad you found it.

At least Porsche was smart to put in a manual release. Making it hard to find/reach is fair for theft prevention. Otherwise what's the use of locks?

I do Like CR4 for all the little things that I learn and helping others find the info to help them.

Charles

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

12/22/2012 4:34 AM

In reply to #5

12/22/2012 1:40 PM

Mike's page is great. I've read all of these before, but he puts them all on one page. It looks like I'm going to have to take the left wheel well liner off and see if the cable is on that side.

I appreciate your help - Thank you.

Greg

Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

12/22/2012 9:55 AM

Generally, Rennlist is my go-to place for this information. I would join and ask them.

From my 2004 911 Owner's Manual, page 154 (read yours!!!):

"If the battery is discharged, the lids can be opened only with the aid of a donor battery."

The word only implies that there is no mechanical emergency cable and using the cigar lighter will not work.

The manual goes on to show a picture of the fuse box located in the driver's side footwell inside the car.

The fuse box has a yellow relay with the profile of the car on it with the front hood opened. You pull that out and insert a lug with a wire on it to the + side of a 12 volt car battery.

The minus side of the battery goes to the metal door latch striker next to the driver's seat on the door well. Note, the alarm may sound when you do this and this is normal.

I would use a stout battery since the system is solenoid driven. A 12 Volt lantern battery will probably not have enough power.

Disconnect the negative terminal first after opening the lid.

Now, I know the 2003 model year is a transition year, so my 2004 may not apply.

As I said before, make sure you have something like a car battery for the procedure because the current draw required may be too much for any other battery.

Lastly, call your local Porsche dealer and ask a technician if all else fails. However, do not overlook the obvious! Make sure the donor battery is charged and use a voltmeter to confirm that you have 12 volts when you pull the release switch. If the voltage drops to something low then you probably need a better battery.

Make sure you are applying power to the right terminal in the fuse box. Make sure your polarity is right!!!

Let me know how it goes and PM me if you need more assistance. We look after each other. :)

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #6

12/22/2012 1:47 PM

Thanks for the tip. My car has a red pull out. I've tried this and it doesn't work. I think the alarm has locked things up. I've tried the trick to turn the alarm off and allow the pull out to work.

I called the Porsche dealer and they gave me a few things to try. Unfortunately, none worked. They recommended that I have it flat bedded it to the dealership. I cringe knowing that they wanted $721 to perform the initial service (at 15K miles) on the car.

Rennlist is a great source. I've also found Pelican to be another one.

The last time this happened, the alarm didn't set and the red pull out worked fine. A few years ago, I had a 996 and the pull out also worked. This one has definitely been a challenge.

Thanks for your help

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #13

12/22/2012 1:52 PM

Did the alarm sound when you connected the donor battery?

You may need to clear the alarm with the ket in the ignition first (insert and turn to the on position), then when that is cleared try the hood release.

Have you considered the switch may be bad or even the solenoid?

Have you tried the opening the other lid to see if that one works?

Guru

In reply to #14

12/22/2012 1:59 PM

The alarm did go off when this originally happened. At that time, I was able to get enough charge on the battery via the lighter socket. I drove the car with a locked hood for about two years, but this time the battery is dead.

The rear trunk opens, however the front one won't. The red pull out on the fuse box doesn't work. I tested the switch and it's good. It may be the solenoid, but I can't get to it.

After pulling back the left front wheel well liner, I can see the place where the cable should come out of. There is a grommet there, but no cable. I thought the first owner may have moved it behind the towing eye cover. Not there either.

You would think that Porsche would have designed a fail safe, just in case the electric release doesn't work.

In reply to #18

12/22/2012 2:01 PM

So, if you press the rear lid's button it will open?

That sounds like a failed solenoid or a wire connection failure.

Guru

In reply to #20

12/22/2012 2:10 PM

There may be something else going on. I don't think it's the solenoid, because the electrical system in general is acting up. The power windows don't work and neither does the dome light. I was told that one of the fuses or a relay may be bad. The problem ... it's under the hood!

All these problems started when the battery died and the red pull out didn't work - about two years ago.

Good Answers: 1662

12/22/2012 10:04 AM

What does the local Porsche dealer say?

<Oops, I see AH has already mentioned calling the dealer>

Guru

In reply to #7

12/22/2012 1:52 PM

Hi Lyn,

I tried all the things the Porsche dealer told me and none has worked. They told me to have the car flat bedded to them. My concern is that I've tried everything shy of pulling the left wheel well liner. I haven't done so, because the info I've received tells me that the release is on the right side for the Boxster and the left for the 911. At this point, I hope it's on the left side.

The other problem I have is that the wheel change kit is in the front. The wheel lock key is in the tool kit - my mistake. When I got the car, the key was in the center console. Now I know why they keep it there! Needless to say, I cannot remove the wheel, so it's tricky getting those clips off.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #15

12/22/2012 1:56 PM

Good luck!

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

12/22/2012 10:09 AM

Sorry I have nothing helpful to contribute, but I can't help commenting. (I even asked Mrs Cat to tie me up).
That sounds like some of the most crass design I've ever heard of.
And the concept of wiring another battery in via the fuse box sounds fraught with fire risk.

WTF is wrong with an internal cable release?
Classic modern design, take something that works and improve it to the point of uselesness. Almost as bad as a Merc'
Del

In reply to #8

12/22/2012 11:32 AM

We can thank Wendelin Wiedeking for that decision, I am sure.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662
In reply to #9

12/22/2012 12:18 PM

Is that a he or a she? Sounds like Gwendolyn.. prob added handbag hooks to the dash too
Del

In reply to #10

12/22/2012 1:58 PM

He. He was the director of Porsche that took it into its new direction with the Boxster and the fugly headlights on the 996. Everyone thought he was on his way to the top, however, that was just his first stop.

To cap his career at Porsche he devised a clever means for Porsche to buy controlling shares of Volkswagen. It almost worked when the economy took a turn that even Porsche could not handle and ended up in a corporate spin.

Instead of Porsche buying Volkswagen, Volkswagen bought out Porsche!

Guru

In reply to #17

12/22/2012 2:24 PM

I remember that when that happened. Didn't VW stock shoot straight up and fall right back down from the Porsche buyout?

And was he the one who took the wonderful air cooled flat six and made it water cooled. Or the infamous IRS problem on the Boxster and 996 (first water cooled 911).

I will say that the newer water cooled Porsches are a blast to drive, but the soul of the car is missing. My friend has a 1997 993 Turbo (last of the air cooled 911's). He bought it new and took delivery in Germany (took his family there). After a few weeks in Europe, he brought the car to the port and a short while later, it was delivered to his house in So Cal. I think his car is about as close as you can get to a perfect sports car!

In reply to #25

12/22/2012 2:48 PM

Yes, the 993 really had soul, but I traded mine for the 996 GT3.

The GT3 may be the ugly girl compared to the 993, but the sex is so good you just don't care.

The modern Porsches have always been about technology and pushing it to new limits. Clearly superior cars to their older air cooled cousins, but lack the hand built finesse and old school charm. The older cars also lack the AC.

Guru

In reply to #8

12/22/2012 2:07 PM

It's not the only thing poorly designed on the car! Not to get into too much detail, but at 38K miles, this car is on it's second engine (IRS failure - common problem), fourth stereo (factory Becker), 2nd ignition switch and 2nd seat belt catch.

However, it is such a great car to drive. I actually prefer it to the 911 (as a daily driver and all around car). If I didn't have all these problems, it would make my ownership so much better!

In reply to #22

12/22/2012 2:44 PM

I have put over 70K miles on my 911 and the only issue I had was the ignition switch gets sticky.

I drive it daily. Oh, I did have a engine seal leak while under warranty. Other than that it has been gas, oil, brakes, and tires.

I have the true split case dry sump motor on mine and that one seems free of any intermediate shaft failures.

Guru

Good Answers: 110
In reply to #8

12/22/2012 11:32 PM

Ferdinand is rolling over in his grave. Porsches went from simple and fun (til about 1968) to ludicrously complicated and unreliable and full of idotic design decisions like this one.

Got a dead battery? Just pop the hood and charge it. Ohhhh.... Whoops, gosh golly, Ya can't open the hood!

Every Porsche should ship with a gallon can of gas and a manual spark lighter, both strapped to the roof. When things like this happen, just pour the gas over the car, light it up, and walk away.

Guru

Good Answers: 150

Re: 2003 Porsche Boxster Secret Hood Release

12/22/2012 12:51 PM

Try contacting your local car thief. They are the only ones capable of bypassing the complex security systems in a modern high value car

In reply to #11

12/22/2012 2:00 PM

Very good idea! Unfortunately, I don't know of one, but I bet they know how to do it!

In reply to #19

12/22/2012 2:03 PM

Easier than that, just drive to your local police station and tell them you think there are drugs in the trunk. They will get it open.

Guru

In reply to #21

12/22/2012 2:12 PM

Haha! Yeah, but the hood will be a chunk of cut up and twisted metal!

In reply to #24

12/22/2012 8:27 PM

What is the color of the car? My friend isn't home now but he can tell you after Jan 2nd

when he comes back. He is a Fl. resident then.

In reply to #28

12/22/2012 11:00 PM

My Boxster is Lapis Blue Metallic with a Light Gray Leather interior. I was trying to download a picture, but I can't get it to work.

If your friend can help, I'll be glad to wait until Jan 2nd. I'm pretty busy right now, so I don't think I'll get to it before then.

I appreciate your help! Thank you!!

Good Answers: 1

12/22/2012 10:45 PM

Since it is an electric latch im assuming it is probably controlled by just a switch, if your comfortable enough with electronics, you could try to find a diagram online, pull the switch and try to power the solenoid directly, otherwise if the battery you used on the built in emergency release wasnt strong enough, it may simple have failed to fully disengage the hood release, also, the switch could be bad, but that seems very unlikely, you could try contacting a high end car stereo and electronics installer and find out if they have had to deal with a tripped alarm during an install that might have caused a similar problem, my brother has a 1964 vw beetle, show car, he has all electric access in it, doors front and rear hood, he has had to manually power the solenoid many times, just a thought

Guru

In reply to #29

12/22/2012 11:06 PM

Kalboon,

Thanks for the tips. I removed the switch panel from the car (attached to the door sill on the drivers side) and I checked the switch. I ran a resistance test on both the front and back release switches and they both worked the same, so the switch isn't bad. I figured out the continuity and put 12v across the terminal and ground on the car. Nothing! I have a feeling there is a microprocessor which controls the power to the switch and solenoid.

I figure the only way to get this open is to cut the front bumper off (I don't want to do this), cut the hood off (no on this too), or find the hidden release cable. I'm hoping that someone who has found the release cable can give me some pointers on how to find it.

Thank you.

In reply to #32

12/23/2012 8:38 AM

At this point you should probably wave the white flag and get it flat bedded to the dealer and get a new battery.

I replaced my battery myself, but ended up buying the OEM battery from my dealer. The price for the OEM was actually about $2 cheaper than a 3rd party battery from AutoZone. Your experience may vary.

Have the tech show you the procedure so you can DIY should there ever be a next time.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #44

12/23/2012 5:42 PM

You may be right! I'm willing to give it one more try - I can pull back the wheel well cover on the right side and see if I can find the cable there.

Good Answers: 7

12/22/2012 10:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueTM60piA6k

Any help? youtube, the new google

Guru

In reply to #30

12/22/2012 11:14 PM

HeHound,

Thanks for researching this for me. I've tried the red pull out thing and no click of the solenoid. I think I'm at the last step, where the manual hood release cable must be used. The only thing is that I can't find it. I've pulled the right front wheel well liner back and there is no cable. Just a hole with a rubber grommet - looks like a cable should come out of it, but there is none!

I'm hoping to find someone who has actually seen this cable and can give me advice on how to find it. I've also tried the hold where the towing eyelet goes and there is no cable there either.

Thank you again for trying to help.

12/22/2012 11:36 PM

Np, i will be in a city that has a vw/audi/Porsche dealership on the 26th, i'll ask about it for you, i know one of the mechanics from getting service on my old audi, he is probably willing to tell me, provided he is at work, good luck!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #35

12/23/2012 12:42 AM

Thanks Kalboon! I appreciate it.

Good Answers: 10

12/23/2012 12:22 AM

Here is a little common sense answer to your problem. Look on the internet for Porsche clubs. There are probably some close to you. The kind of person who joins a car club is usually the kind of person who would help you. Have a merry Christmas and don't use a can opener.

Guru

12/23/2012 1:16 AM

Try this:

2 ways:

Pull the fuse cover off. It's down by where the driver's left foot would be. There you'll see a red contact with a picture of the car with its hood open. Pull that out about an inch and you'll have a positive contact to the battery. Attach your negative cable to the door latch or hinge. Do not try to start the car. This will give you just enough power to pop the hood. Once you have the hood open, connect directly to the battery and jump the car as you would any other.
:there is an emergency release under the right headlight (metal cable with a loop at the end) that can be reached with some sort of hook or tool. there is also a red pin that can be pilled up in the fuse panel that if given 12v will give power to the switch.
Wish you good luck - my Porsche years were over when Viagra came on the market. Lol

In reply to #38

12/23/2012 5:41 PM

Thanks for the tips. I've tried the first one and no luck. I've also tried to find the cable release and I can't find it. I misread your item #2. I'll look for the cable under the right headlight. This could be a lifesaver for me.

Thanks you.

In reply to #38

12/23/2012 6:37 PM

I just tried to do item #2 and no luck. When I shined a bright light under the headlight (between the headlight and the bumper), there was no cable or hook. I ran a bent coat hanger in there and nothing.

It gave me an idea. I pulled the towing eyelet cover off and ran the coat hanger up and down the bumper (maybe the previous owner had done the retrofit and the cable moved), but no luck.

Commentator

Good Answers: 7

12/23/2012 3:57 AM

This is the trunk release, but if the hood release is as well hidden as this!!!!
Website link herehttp://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/434429-dead-battery-hood-trunk-release-my-advise-prepared.html

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Power-User

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #39

12/23/2012 1:19 PM

Of all the answers to the problem, yours hit the nail right on the head. We can all get some sleep tonight because we no longer have to wonder how the gentleman will get his hood open. I told him there was a Porsche club member that would help him. I bet the you were one when you had your Porsche.

In reply to #52

12/23/2012 5:51 PM

Thanks Byron. I like the common sense approach!

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #39

12/23/2012 2:42 PM

GA. Now we know where it is.

You really do not need to take the car that far apart. Read post #38 part 2.

With a hook, made of a metal wire cloth hanger it opens when you hook the end of the cable and pull from under the headlight.

And now it is no secret any more?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #39

12/23/2012 5:48 PM

HeHound, Thank you for finding such a good picture of the cable. I saw this on the Pelican forum a while back and after speaking with some Porsche experts, they told me that this is the one for the 911 and the Boxster is on the right side.

I took their advice and I removed the clips holding the wheel well cover on the right side. When I peeled the cover back, I saw the grommet where the cable comes out, but no cable.

I was told that the repair manuals and TSB's for German cars are wrong. This is why I was hoping to find someone who had actually done it.

Thanks again for the info. I'm going to give the left side a shot. Wish me luck!

In reply to #60

05/03/2020 2:55 PM

I have the same issue on my 2001 booster. Can’t find the cable. Did yours end up being on the left?

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #78

05/03/2020 3:09 PM

I had difficulty finding it too. It’s tucked up high behind the splash guard. I did it a couple of years ago and it should be on the same side that the towing eye is located in the front bumper (RHS Driverside on a UK car). I moved the cable to the towing eye afterwards so I could open the bonnet easily. Hope this helps

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #78

05/11/2020 7:04 PM

For my car, it was on the right side. I had to pull the right wheel well back, then I could see the cable. My problem was that the wheel lock key was in the front with the spare tire. So I couldn't remove the tire and I could only peel the wheel well back so far.

In reply to #80

05/11/2020 8:02 PM

I finally found it!! I think previous owner possibly had used it and moved it. Could not find it under wheel well but found it from in front of head light. Pried it slightly to the side and was able to spot it and fish it out. I then replaced weak actuator under the hood and it works like new!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #82

05/11/2020 9:51 PM

A weak actuator is a good thing. My car has a problem with the controller. No power gets to the latch, so I have to manually open it. At least I know where the cable is!

In reply to #78

05/11/2020 7:07 PM

My car has the red pull out thing on the fuse box. It worked for a while, but something happened and it stopped working.

My 2001 911 had the red pull out thing too, but it still worked.

I think your 2001 Boxster should have the red pull out thing. When you pull it out, you can clamp +12V to it and pop the hood open.

Rennsport has a good write up on the hood pull issue.

If you're still having trouble, let me know and I'll see what I can find for you.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69

12/23/2012 3:57 AM

Sorry for your luck, buy American and at least you might be able to understand the operator's manual My sister has the same one and guess what??

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #40

12/23/2012 4:54 AM

I have to agree with you completely on this one. I live in Germany, I drive many different cars each week for a friend of mine who is in the car business. Funnily enough, he won't touch Porsches with a barge pole!!! I wonder why? He doesn't like Fords much either....even the ones made here....

I am a proponent of most, but not all, German made cars (not that they are all made here inside Germany nowadays, but the quality control is German!). Some cars he sells are very high mileage, they drive like new.....Audis, Mercs and BMWs, mostly Diesels for example.

PS. To all of you reading this post, please be so kind as to learn how to pronounce "Porsche" correctly, its NOT as in "Porsch". Its got an "e" at the end, which should be correctly pronounced in German. Not pronouncing it actually makes someone sound uneducated to anyone who can speak the language. Sorry to be so blunt......

Its pronounced more like the word "Porscher" for anyone who speaks English!!!!

Also, I have a "Weimaraner" dog and many in the UK/USA wrongly say it as "Waymaraner! Totally wrong. It should be pronounced more like "Vimaraner" in German. (The "i" being pronounced as in "I" meaning "me")......

All the letters in a word or name in German contribute to the sound of the word or name. They do not all sound the same as the same letter in English. Only the "h" after a "t" is almost silent and words/names ending in "d" are pronounced as ending in a "t". The name "Bernd" is often mispronounced by UK/USA people because they try to make the sound of a "d" at the end....It should sound more like "burnt" in English, with an "e" instead of a "u" for example...

If anyone would like some further pronunciation help in German, just ask....

Marking as "Off Topic".

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #41

12/23/2012 5:28 AM

OMG problem with car battery has led us to German class. Anyhow every country has its own language. Talking about German products, I have worked with local German firm for 33 years. I would say German products are designed for high quality and long life,compact and reliable, but they are intricate and not maintenance friendly. Porsche is one of the example being world known car but its customer is struggling to change battery.

In reply to #42

12/23/2012 6:46 AM

BUT you apparently did learn something new!!!!!

In the UK/USA, I have never heard anyone pronounce "Porsche" correctly!

Have a great day as well......

In reply to #43

12/23/2012 10:30 AM

Thanks Andy. Wish You Merry Christmas.

In reply to #46

12/23/2012 11:58 AM

You are very kind.

I wish you the same.

In fact I wish everyone here on CR4, no matter whether they celebrate Christmas or not, a really great week.

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #43

12/23/2012 10:47 AM

I always hear it pronounced "Porscha" as if there was a letter "a" at the end. Why do so many people say it that way?

Guru

In reply to #47

12/23/2012 12:03 PM

Well done, that's great, keep it up.

You have done it well, far better than I did.

I forgot that in English "e" has the wrong sound, "a" is much, much better.

Thanks for the correction.

For example in German, "Christine" sounds exactly the same as the English "Christina".

Living here I completely forgot that!!! TERRIBLE!!!

Nobody is perfect!!!

In reply to #50

12/23/2012 5:02 PM

Your example of "Christine" and "Christina" explains why I always hear people saying "Porscha" which sounds like it ends with an "a". All these years I thought the letter "e" at the end was silent when if fact it seems as though it is enunciated. I always thought those people didn't know how to read the word "Porsche". I kept asking "...where do you see the letter "a"?. I guess I was the one not pronouncing it correctly. Go figure!

I'm assuming the actual sound of the letter "e" is somewhat in between the "e" sound (like the word "forget") and "a" sound (like the word "arrive"). It's like starting with letter "e" sound then ending with the letter "a" sound...if that makes any sense. It's hard to describe sound in writing.

Guru

In reply to #56

12/23/2012 5:59 PM

It is like you say, but with some thought, prompted by others here, I think that really the end should be made more like the English "-er" at the end...."Porscher", that would sound more like the name in German....

In German, it was difficult for me many years ago to distinguish between words that ended in an "-e" and words that ended in "-er" (REALLY important!). I am much better nowadays.....but to a UK/USA "ear" they sound the same!!!

In reply to #63

12/23/2012 6:08 PM

"...but to a UK/USA "ear" they sound the same!!!"

I don't know if you wrote it that way intenionally but considering what we are discussing...the three letters are a really funny coincidence!

Guru

In reply to #42

12/23/2012 5:59 PM

Suresh, you are so right. Porsche did design a back up system (the red pull out on the fuse box), but what happens when the alarm system locks it up. I've tried the key trick (to disable the alarm) and no luck. So the back up to the back up doesn't work and I can't find the mechanical release.

I believe they engineered it this way, to keep the thieves out, but unfortunately, it keeps the owners out also.

In reply to #41

12/23/2012 8:46 AM

You wrote, "All the letters in a word or name in German contribute to the sound of the word or name."

Unlike French which is "Rooked on Phonics".

Guru

In reply to #45

12/23/2012 11:56 AM

You are SO right.

The way the two languages are spoken they are poles apart.

Maybe that is the reason that although Germans have often great English skills, French is far more seldom spoken by Germans.

But if they speak it, usually very well with a good accent.....

Both my daughters, after a single term in French simply gave up, as they also did with Spanish......sad.

In reply to #48

12/23/2012 12:24 PM

I specifically took German as a second language in High school because because of the relationship between how words sound and how they are written/spelled.

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

12/23/2012 3:03 PM

If it were mine, I would call my local Porsche dealer and ask him.

In reply to #54

12/23/2012 4:01 PM

He already tried that lol

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #55

12/23/2012 5:37 PM

Already did that and everything they told me to do, I had already tried.

12/23/2012 6:12 PM

A few quick items to note.

1. You guys are awesome! I've received much more good, sound advice here vs any other forum. On top of this, you guys are quick to respond and I feel that you care about helping. Thank you all for your support!

2. I was told that it's pronounced Poursha The sha is not accented, like a lot of people believe. Just let the whole thing flow as one syllable - Like the actress Portia de Rossi.

3. I enjoy buying quality products. As an engineer, I appreciate finer goods. Recently, Cindy wanted a sewing machine. I have no clue about these things, so we started looking at the new Brother, Singer, etc. All seem like mass produced cheaply made junk. I decided to look at some used machines and after a little research, I decided that a Japanese machine built in the 60's an up or German machine built in the 50's to 60's would be the best. We found a beautiful Pfaff 230 model (made in Germany in the mid-late 50's) and brought it home. I am amazed at the quality of the materials, engineering, machining and attention to detail. This machine has withstood 55 years or so of use and it still works great! The cams, levers, etc are so well made. If a machine were built like this today, it would cost quite a bit. It's sad to see that something as practical as a sewing machine is no longer built to last.

In reply to #65

12/24/2012 5:31 AM

Yes, you are right a German product built with precision will last for ages.

Good Answers: 102

12/25/2012 4:30 AM

How many times has an image of one of these crept into your thoughts?

Would give that beast of yours a beautifully aggressive patina once the job is done.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

12/26/2012 1:49 PM

I have one additional suggestion to try. The people that repossess cars for a living are pretty sharp about how to get things to operate without damaging the merchandise. Try looking up a local repo agent and see what a road call will cost.

07/31/2014 6:01 AM

I remembered I left all of you hanging, regarding the hood problem on my Boxster.

I did wind up getting the hood open. The cable was on the right side, hidden just below the headlight assembly. I couldn't take the tire off, because the wheel lock key was under the hood with the rest of the tools. I took the clips off the wheel well and pulled the wheel well back. I got a better look at the headlight assembly and sure enough, I found the cable. Put a screwdriver in the loop of the cable, gave a sharp pull and voila!

I did wind up charging the battery - it took a charge and started the car. I moved the cable to the recommended spot, behind the bumper tow bolt cover.

I never did find the fuse to the front hood release, nor did I get the other quirky electronic problems to go away.

In reply to #76

07/31/2014 4:51 PM

Many thanks

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

2001boxster (2); Andy Germany (8); Anonymous Hero (11); Autobroker (30); bob c (1); Byron Jay (2); cherryvan (1); Del the cat (2); dj95401 (1); dvmdsc (3); gringogreg (1); HeHound (2); Joshi (1); K_Fry (1); Kalboon (3); kramarat (1); lyn (2); metalSmiths (3); ronseto (1); Scuba_Steve (2); suresh sharma (3); TerraMan (3); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: Toyota Tazz 1400 Starting Problem   Next in Forum: 1991 Camaro Won't Start

Advertisement