Previous in Forum: Designer - Small Airplane Where Pilot Laid Prone   Next in Forum: Defining Electrodynamic Braking in Spacecraft
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Anybody Ever Seen One of These?

02/15/2013 2:38 PM

Britten-Norman BN-2A-III Trislander, G-RLON, Aurigny Air Services (GR / AUR)

I've not been able to find much on it. I wonder how she flies on just the #2 engine?

Or, is it #1 left side; #2 right side and #3 tail, making it #3 ?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - Fish On! United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 269

Re: Anybody Ever Seen One of These?

02/15/2013 2:54 PM

Wear have you checked?

Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Is this homework?

Have you checked wiki?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britten-Norman_Trislander

Does not appear that they are making this one anymore. Had a top speed of 167MPH and had a few crash.

Good Answers: 1727

02/15/2013 3:25 PM
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 71
In reply to #2

02/15/2013 3:44 PM

From looking at this picture, I would worry about forward / aft balance. It looks precarious with that much fore and aft of the wings.

Drew K

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376
In reply to #2

02/18/2013 1:53 PM

Yes, I have actually seen one of these up close at a New Zealand airport.

I did a bit of a double take and spent a while observing it, it seemed to have quite a high cargo to passenger ratio which I guess makes sense as the one I saw was going to a small island and a lot of the cargo was consumer products and food.

Good Answers: 23

02/15/2013 3:30 PM

Does the third, center propeller really help the plane fly that well / more efficiently? I have no knowledge of aviation, but I'm incredibly curious as to what the function is to it (besides looking uniquely goofy).

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646
In reply to #3

02/15/2013 3:49 PM

Well, the wing looks like it's set back pretty far along the fuselage making the plane nose-heavy, so some weight would be needed near the tail to help make it airworthy.

Guru

Good Answers: 284
In reply to #5

02/15/2013 7:03 PM

ROFLMFAO!

I love this explanation!

Designer #1 "Guy's it turns out our design is too nose heavy to fly."

Designer #2 "I know what it needs! Ballast in the back to balance it out! We need something heavy."

Designer #1 "Great Idea, now what is something heavy. Think everyone, think think!"

Designer #3 "Engines are heavy! We can mount it on the tail!"

Designer #1 "Brilliant! It is resolved! By the way I just fired designer #4 for having the audacity to suggest we move the wing forward or lengthen the fuselage aft of the wing. Noob!."

Good Answers: 110

02/15/2013 4:15 PM

In pre-flighting these, it is important to check that most pieces of the engines are there.

This picture, from the flight manual, shows an engine with not quite enough pieces.

I'd think that these would be an incredible handful on only one wing engine, probably incapable of sustaining altitude, and darn hard to keep straight. On the center engine alone, it would be much easier to drive it to the crash site.

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #6

02/16/2013 2:06 PM

No oil pressure?

Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #6

02/19/2013 12:37 AM

I have had that much oil and then some on an old DC-3 I use to fly. It did not let go of many of its parts but it sure did vibrate till the fire started. That's when I shut her down and pushed the nose over to blow out the fire. Oh that was the good old days.

Never flew one of these but everyone I spoke to said it was a nice aircraft to fly. Just a little thirsty.

Guru

Good Answers: 60

02/15/2013 5:53 PM

Not only seen them but flew in one in the Cayman Islands. The Trislander was a development of the Islander, which had the more conventional 2-engine layout.

There have been plenty of other 3-engined airliners over the years - Junkers-52, Ford Trimotor, Boeing 727, de Havilland Trident, Lockheed Tristar, McDonnel Douglas DC-10, etc., but have to admit the Trislander is the most ungainly looking of them all.

Guru

Good Answers: 152

02/16/2013 5:16 AM

The Trislander was developed for a target market where STOL (short take off and landing) is an important factor. Island hopping often equates to short runways. The third engine is there to provide additional power on take off.

Fitness for purpose in this case overrides beauty. Hurrah!!! Score:Practical Engineers 1, Aesthetic Designers NIL

Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #9

02/16/2013 5:44 AM

Well put!!!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

02/16/2013 5:43 AM

These planes are designed to start and land from tiny runways, the extra engine probably being there to improve this talent......its also a good extra safety point in the event of an engine cutting out at some point. They have been built since 1970, its a pretty well known design....

3 engine planes have been around since almost the dawn of aviation, so the technology is pretty well understood.

Anyone here who is silly enough to make incorrect amateur comments here about weight and balance problems is really showing their ignorance of anything technical......not only do the engineers know how to design correctly for such layouts, but the CAA/FAA and similar organisations will check every rivet and flight characteristics before giving a certificate.......

There are even large passenger aircraft with a third (often Jet) engine in the tail, many of us have even flown in them......myself included.

You can read about this particular aircraft here:-

Britten-Norman Trislander

I found some other interesting links for Trimotor aircraft, both jet and piston, there are many of them around. Some of the later ones are often the answer to the FAA's "60 minute rule" for two engined aircraft. See here:-

Trijet

and

Trimotor

Some of which had the third engine in the front, but most modern aircraft had it in the tail.....

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - Fish On! United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 269

02/16/2013 8:43 AM

Don't fly in the red one.....

Good Answers: 32

02/16/2013 12:37 PM

"Let's all get Stoned and Design an Aircraft" ... Finalist Contender

Good Answers: 1

02/19/2013 8:31 AM

Lyn, It will fly all the way to the crash site on #2...

Good Answers: 32

02/19/2013 9:37 AM

Net Results of CR4 Forum's policy of not helping with "School Work" assignments.

Good Answers: 110
In reply to #18

02/20/2013 11:46 AM

"My senior engineering project is to make something funny looking that flies. Please help."

Next time this question shows up, we won't be so quick to dismiss it.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); Drew K (1); energyconversion (1); fixitorelse (1); jack of all trades (1); jhhassociates (1); JPool (2); K_Fry (2); kendall (2); lyn (1); Mizuti (1); Rockyscience (1); SolarEagle (1); truth is not a compromise (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Designer - Small Airplane Where Pilot Laid Prone   Next in Forum: Defining Electrodynamic Braking in Spacecraft

Advertisement