Previous in Forum: Eratic Reading in Weigh Bridge   Next in Forum: Self Regulating Heat Tracing Cable
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

How to Tune a =% Valve with Linear Plug

03/12/2013 9:00 AM

Helo,

I got a question, How to tune a equal percentage control valve. I use my fluke to give 4-20mA signal. It is an Air-To-Close valve. The valve uses a camflex positioner were we use a equal percentage cam. The plug of the valve is linear.

I'm wondering how we can tune this correctly.

I know the Characteristic of Flow % and the Travel, How that works but is there a tabel of The travel with mA signal ?

Thanks

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: equal linear Ma percentage tune valve
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 69

Re: How to tune a =% valve with linear plug

03/12/2013 9:19 AM

If it is a closed loop system, then there is not; because the flow is being measured (feedback) to generate a compensation which will be added to or subtracted from your mA control signal.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: How to Tune a =% Valve with Linear Plug

03/12/2013 10:04 AM

One cannot tune a loop without knowing what it is supposed to be doing. The valve is only the motive element in the loop. There must be other things, like a measuring device or two, and some idea of what is in the process. Without those? No hope.

Good Answers: 63

03/12/2013 8:21 PM

exactly which positioner - model number?

Can you provide a link to the positioner's manual?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

03/12/2013 11:59 PM

As far as I know, during calibration, the valves are calibrated 8in linear fashionand the positioner cam decides the flow characteristics.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

03/13/2013 5:39 AM

You could always go to fuzzy logic.

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122

03/13/2013 12:53 PM

How much resolution does the application require? How finite?

You must determine/know the ratio of valve travel to process flow in order to develop the table.

Flow rates at given temperatures and type of fluid being controlled is normally stated in the OEM valve specification sheet.

Obtain the spec sheet from the valve manufacturer, determine the required resolution for your application, measure the actual valve travel 0 -100%, cycle the valve manually 0-100% position, and measure the actual flow through the valve ( Example: Flow = 0 - 100 GPM) ,divided bythe desired mA signal resolution (Example: If 1mA => 6.25% of valve travel (100GPM/16mA) = 6.25 GPM per mA) apply the ratio and verify the flow to be linear throughout the entire valve travel. Example: 5 mA = 6.25GPM , 6mA = 12.5GPM, ETC.

Hope this helps.

03/14/2013 2:56 AM

Thanks for t he reactions!

It is a control valve wich uses a DP flow measurement.

The positioner is a masoneilan type 4700 P.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

03/14/2013 8:34 AM

May be you could use the graph and calibrate the positioner.

"X" axis is the % mA signal and "Y" axis is % travel.

Looks like 50% signal the valve should move around 13%,at 75% signal valve should be at around 37%

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Carl_E (1); instrumeast (1); IRSHAD (1); PWSlack (1); SHOCKHISCAN (1); srini (1); Tornado (1); Yahlasit (1)

Previous in Forum: Eratic Reading in Weigh Bridge   Next in Forum: Self Regulating Heat Tracing Cable

Advertisement