Previous in Forum: Completely Constraint Motion   Next in Forum: Vacuum Pump Getting Chocked
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Power-User
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 8

Design of Blind Flange

09/10/2013 2:22 AM

I am looking for the design calculations for a circular blind flange for a water pipe. The calculations given in the BS and ASME specifications are empirical.

The tables also cover only a limited range.

None of my engineering textbooks cover circular flanges either, and it seems my mathematical skills and knowledge has become rusted over the years.

Please help!

I will greatly appreciate your inputs.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: Design of blind flange

09/10/2013 3:25 AM

Blind flanges do not need local design. They need selection from published tables.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #1

Re: Design of blind flange

09/11/2013 2:02 AM

It is OK to admit you do not know either.

I need to know however since the information I require is not contained in the general tables.

Johan.

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122

Re: Design of Blind Flange

09/11/2013 8:50 AM

Do an internet search on "Engineering Toolbox" and look at the information available on this subject as well as many other subjects.

Good Answers: 38

09/11/2013 1:47 PM

Johan,

You have to make a distinction between a "blind flange", which is a permanent device in a piping system and conforms to the dimensions given in ASME B16.5 and a "test or hydro blind" which is what, I believe, that you want.

"Blind flanges" are termination points installed in pipework to allow a future extension of the system.

"Test blinds" are temporary flanges, used only for the test and need not be made from the same material as the piping system. They are designed to a higher allowable stress than blind flanges. There are code equations in ASME B31.1 and B31.3 regarding the thickness of these components. ( Check your stolen copy of this code)

Another type of permanent blind called "spectacle blind" exists and is used for maintenance purposes.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 67
In reply to #4

09/24/2013 10:29 AM

The blind test flange thickness can also be used permanently (made of compatible material for fluid). The excel calculators can be used/made to know it. Just feed OD & thickness of pipe and pressure, you can get thickness required.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Johan van Niekerk (1); MJCronin (1); pritam (1); PWSlack (1); SHOCKHISCAN (1)

Previous in Forum: Completely Constraint Motion   Next in Forum: Vacuum Pump Getting Chocked

Advertisement