Previous in Forum: Help Me to Get Rid of the Ask Search Toolbar   Next in Forum: Why Does My Spelling Errors File Not Work?
Close
Close
Close
46 comments
Power-User

How to Disable USB Ports??

09/17/2013 1:16 PM

Dear Sir,

I am Dell Tower GX380 PC using in my office. My office & lab is combined in two room. I am facing problem that whenever i finish my duty & shutdown my PC & left office after that other people again push power button & just connect USB data cable with any USB port & start charging of mobile phone. Due to this issue my PC front USB ports now wear out/ has been loose. i am very confused about it to how to resolve my issue?? Dear My friend, Please give guidline to disable my port till system login or anyother suggestions???

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 284

Re: How to Disabled USB Ports??

09/17/2013 1:44 PM

If you simply disable the port, the offenders will continue to try it. When they see it isn't working, the reinsert/take it out and look at it/reinsert-wiggle routine is almost certain to be the next series of actions. This will simply accelerate the failure that you fear.

Can you get some new people?

Can your people get a tower with a USB of their very own?

How about a USB charging station? $20 bucks US money will get you one.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940
In reply to #1

09/17/2013 2:32 PM

I'm mildly surprised. I thought LynDoor industries sold a USB port lock? Are you having problems with that supplier again?

Good Answers: 1666
In reply to #2

09/17/2013 4:05 PM

We do.

Part No: OU812.

Price: $ 49.95 includes free shipping to the U.S. border.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #7

09/17/2013 11:30 PM

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

Re: How to Disable USB Ports??

09/17/2013 2:34 PM

One of these can solve the issue a locking CPU cabinet. I said can, as they may vandalize the cabinet. It's pretty hard to deter someone from doing something. That they shouldn't be doing to begin with if there are no repercussions. Then again sounds like a good reason to address getting a new computer with the powers to be. Especially if the use of the USB port are necessary for your day to day work.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266
In reply to #3

09/17/2013 2:42 PM

You can turn the ports off in windows device manager.

Also there are port locks.

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #4

09/17/2013 7:24 PM

Does turning off the port disable the supply ? I will have to check this out, I always assumed the motherboard was hard wired for supply and the logic was only in control of the COMM. Perhaps this has changed in newer MB's.

Good Answers: 774

09/17/2013 3:15 PM

I say rewire your computer with a toggle switch on the back so that when you leave you can switch the USB ports over from being +5 VDC to now running the +12 and - 12 VDC power right off the main power supply.

That should cure everyone from trying to use your computer as a charger in a very short time!

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

09/17/2013 3:35 PM

Um, why not just turn the computer off at the wall at the end of the day?

About as simple a solution, but you may also need to supply a USB charger for the office if the staff insist on charging their USB devices at work.

Good Answers: 1666

09/17/2013 4:24 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1750

09/17/2013 5:19 PM

I would just put a USB port extension in.....Here's one for $15

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20091006/power-extension-usb-4-port-hub/

Good Answers: 17

09/17/2013 6:00 PM

09/17/2013 7:30 PM

When you leave the office, take the AC power cord and put it in a safe place. unless they find or bring their own cord - - - some tower power supplies also have a power switch on them; you could try that. For my own computer I once opened the power supply and rewired the VOLTAGE switch to be in series with the power inlet. The machine only had power when the switch was in the 220 position. I would switch it to 110 when I wanted it to be tamper proof. Not many people would think to flip that switch. If your supply is 220 then wire it so it only sees power in the 110 position.

Good Answers: 107

09/17/2013 9:05 PM

Laptops nowadays come with an option where there is power on the USB for charging devices without switching on the machine. Not sure a desktop does the same but its worth exploring.

If there is this option the port has a red USB sign and a flash and it can be switched on in the BIOS.

Thus nobody has to switch on the computer but can charge the mobile just like this.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202

09/17/2013 11:15 PM

ahmadarshad-

Take the access panel off and cut the wires to the front USB ports so they no longer function. Replace the panel. For your needs only use the back USB connectors. Also works better if you bolt the bottom of the case to a substantial table, deck, workbench, etc. and the back up against a wall.

For excitement connect the cut wires at the port to each other so all connections are null to each other. For real excitement connect a 12v-24 volt transformer to the USB connector power wires of the socket. For really big excitement make that 60-70 volts ac. and isolate it from the case but connected to that little metal outer edge piece of the USB port. This should reduce the potential shock to you and your computer but not the villains and their USB items.

Good Luck, Old Salt

Good Answers: 7

09/18/2013 1:44 AM

I'd talk to management and get charging ports installed somewhere. AC outlets. http://www.rndaccessories.com/charger-station-3-AC-Outlets-Plugs-2-USB-ports-Surge-Protector-iPads-Tablets-Smartphones-iphone-galaxy-one-note/dp/B006O44OSA#.Ujk9J5H0Fok

There are "socket savers" too.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

09/18/2013 2:21 AM

The only post that really understood the problem fully was post #1.....and the ones that suggested those expansion "boxes".

Connecting one of those to a mains USB power supply would fix the problem completely.No PC needed ever.

Good Answers: 5

09/18/2013 4:29 AM

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FR8SXK/ref=asc_df_B004FR8SXK2722009?smid=A2X611LEQI9ZC1&tag=nextagusmp0365743-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B004FR8SXK

Register to Reply
Power-User

09/18/2013 4:55 AM
Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 117

09/18/2013 8:56 AM

Do YOU still want to use the USB outlet for yourself when you are at work? Do you mind that somebody plugs in their cell phone to your work station when you are away? Or even when you are not? Then there is only one answer. Forget cutting it out, or sabotaging your friends cell phones...that way lies problems. Just put in the five dollar expander in this link. For five bucks, your problem is solved, and your co-workers are happy.

Of course, I rather favor plugging in toys. The USB missile launcher seems kind of fun.

09/18/2013 10:55 AM

Dear Sirs,

Can i disable 5 Volt as when i need? i respect all of your suggation but as per current situation only i can implement this option. please advice

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #21

09/19/2013 11:14 AM

That does not fix the problem you said you had. Read Post#1 again and you will see why.

Good Answers: 54
In reply to #25

09/19/2013 4:57 PM

Andy, I think we've all given him some excellent options, but there must be another reason why he won't follow. Until we know this, I think we're wasting our time.

In reply to #26

09/21/2013 3:56 PM

you are right, he is not thinking out of the box.....

Good Answers: 6

09/18/2013 11:30 AM

Lock your office.

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22

09/18/2013 7:40 PM

Get one of these (or even buy a few...)

There are many versions of this available.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 54

09/18/2013 8:29 PM

If your front ports are no good, then they must be using the rear ports. Your options are pretty straight forward.

1. Prevent them from accessing the rear ports. You can accomplish this by mounting the computer near a wall, so they can't get to the ports, you can lock the ports or you can disable the power to the ports. Or as others stated, you can sabotage the ports, but that's not a good solution.

2. Give them an alternative. Two options were presented to you. First is the external USB port which is independent of the computer. Second is the device that multiplies the number of USB ports. I would get one with a long wire, so they have easy access to the ports and they won't tug on it and create the same problem you have with your front ports.

These are solutions to your problem. If you're upset, because someone is using your "stuff" at your office, then that's a different problem which requires support from your management.

I hope this helps.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

09/19/2013 7:03 PM

Hello ahmadarshad,let us know what you have decided to do based on our recommendations.

Otherwise we will just wait for your coworkers to post questions here on CR4 regarding how to bypass your chosen solution.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

09/19/2013 8:18 PM

You could permanently solve this problem with C4!

No USB port.

No computer.

No job.

No problem.

In reply to #28

09/19/2013 10:27 PM

Duct Tape is safer (but less fun).

09/20/2013 1:18 AM

You could rig your worksite to take a picture when whoever uses your USB port then the next time they use it. You print a photo of them plugging into your USB port and affix a page snapshot of the Amazon website I provided in post #19.

(I know I'd probably blush from embarrassment upon seeing myself caught red handed and go buy my own plug to avoid any more discomfort)

Register to Reply
Guru

09/20/2013 4:17 AM

there are such things as USB switches ?hub-s leave one permanentli on your USB port mark the other sockets as "for chargers"

09/20/2013 9:52 AM

Is this computer your property or the property of the lab? If not your property, most of the modification solutions posted here would not be allowed by management ( including my own lol ). Also if it is company property, it should be your manager's problem to prevent unauthorized access and damage to company property. It does not sound like you have the authority to kick butts, and mods / pranks / sabotage can get you fired. The posts that suggest wall plug chargers would seem to be the best option. Do you celebrate Christmas ? Perhaps a small gift from you to each person of thier own private charger would be the kindest gesture.

09/20/2013 12:51 PM

Let management do their job.

They need to protect their assets. If it were me, I'd provide charing stations with socket savers and issue a "company policy".

Register to Reply
Power-User

09/20/2013 1:26 PM

Dear Sirs,

Glade to see your suggestions as few are very surprised for me like Sir (RED FRED) :)

I don't have idea except provide to USB charging station myself/from Pocket money otherwise they can damaged our company asset & its my responsibility to protect my company asset because i am in charge of my department.

Sirs, My Question is still there, can i disable 5VDC power supply through software???

In reply to #34

09/20/2013 2:45 PM

I'm glad you liked my humor.

Now to answer your specific question in a serious fashion, I suspect that you cannot disable the DC power of the USB ports for your computer. With virtually every critical human to machine interface (keyboard, mouse, drawing pad, etc.) now being via a USB port I doubt that any can be turned OFF. If power out of a USB port can be turned OFF, I would expect that this switch will be a feature of the BIOS for your computer. You should contact technical support for Dell to get specific information if this hardware can be disabled. I know that many manufacturers today are not very helpful supporting older machines, but you should at least try.

In reply to #34

09/20/2013 2:50 PM

I still think preventing the computer from turning on at all is the best. If they cannot turn it on, they will not even try to plug in.

In reply to #36

09/20/2013 5:26 PM

If your in charge, your not doing a good job.

You have a manager, right? So, go up a level. Ask for charging stations. Reason: People are wearing out your USB ports. Insist on socket savers.

Managers don't like to be told what to do. They like choices and options. So, go to your manager, tell him you have a problem and give him some options, Make sure cost is on the table,

He might decide a lock on your door is the right fix.

Now, if the USB ports are being used to charge personal cell phones he can adopt a policy.

So remember: choices, options, costs, benefits.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

09/20/2013 5:46 PM

Why reply this to my post ? I am not OP.

Good Answers: 117
In reply to #34

09/21/2013 8:12 AM

Dell has security features to prevent chassis tampering/ According to the literature it has a USB tampering lockout feature.

Usually, to disable the USB ports, you hit F10 (sometimes F2), go to computer set up, and de-select. I do not own such a model of Dell, and I believe this question has been answered by another, in just such a basic way. This information was found by scrolling way down here... but perhaps somebody more familiar with Dell security could suggest something else.

What worries me is your original statement that somebody comes in at night, turns your computer on and uses it for something. You suspect cell phone charging. The deny it. They may be honest! Personally, I don't let ANYBODY turn my computer on when I am not around, how do you know it is a cell phone charger? Why not a spy? Why must it be a co-worker, perhaps it is a cleaner or cable guy. A lockout power switch would be MY solution.

Or you can disable the USB ports to data by using the links above, or by studying the online Dell manual, but you cannot disable power to USB ports with just software. That would handle data security, but only a cheap USB extension will protect the port from the physical damage you mention.

In reply to #34

09/24/2013 4:41 AM

Even if the 5 volt can be disabled as you requested (it can be a function of SOME Mainboards I believe, but probably not all!! You also haven't given us the Mainboard details up to now either.....:-

IT DOES NOT FIX YOUR NOTED PROBLEM OF WEAR & TEAR ON THE USB SOCKETS.

Why is it you cannot understand that?

To me, it is simply demonstrating (and eventually to your management too!) that you are not good enough for the position you are in and you will eventually be demoted!!!!

Post #1 mentioned this DAYS ago!!!! and you still "harp" on the same (answered dozens of times by many good and clever CR4 people) question!!!!!

Many good fixes have been suggested, you have simply ignored them all!

DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

09/21/2013 1:36 AM

Dear Sirs, RED FRED & KeepItSimpleStupid

I like your answers, I Will try to do but please note, I can't lock my office because many imported spare parts are in my room which can be use on our machine. My field is electrical. Our shift people frequently using own cell for charging through USB but whenever i ask him why you are not using your own wall socket charger then they replied we are not using PC USB port for charging. Now tell me how can i resolve this situation where people not accepting own negligence???? that's why i am saying i will purchase USB charger station from my pocket money & give him...

Power-User

In reply to #39

09/21/2013 4:04 AM

Hold on!

Before you go any further, remember this.

A person confronted by someone they only know casually or with little evidence of how they handle anger, will most likely retreat to safety and go silent or deny the situation. You probably will end up wasting your time trying to convince them that it is "safe" to be honest.

Usually better to just

• capture on photo of their actions (if still possible, may be to late to capture evidence),
  • withhold the evidence,
  • supply a wall charger labeled with label such as, "Community Charger" or some other title appropriate for sharing conditions.

If you have evidence of their use, you can ask politely to please use the wall charger from now on and if they deny it you can tell them you are not mad and reveal that you already knew. They may open up and you could earn some trust, but if the opposite happens, might be best to leave quietly than worry what they may or may not do. Ridiculing them for not fessing up may work also.

If you don't have any evidence, perhaps best to leave it alone and keep the charger in place for future encounters. The person is spooked enough and it is much easier to just forgive the situation.

Life is not getting any easier and getting offended over things leads to more mistrust, paranoia and other fears depending on the fragility of those you are dealing with. Handling situations like this take time, practice, and sometimes a steel gut. Also, mistakes are sometimes made while learning to deal with things like this gracefully and with class.

Good Luck!

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38

09/23/2013 9:34 PM

If you are ignoring the ideas posted, then just take the desktop home, problem solved!

09/24/2013 12:49 PM

Dear Sir Epke & Andy Germany,

All replies are very important for me, i always happy because i have great forum with great people/advisers. I love this forum very much that's why i always put my all issues here take serious action on advices. some people kidding with me on my said issue but I know they are my seniors & can teach me with lot ways... :)

I will try to resolve my problem with the help of your suggestions but step by step. For me, its not possible to apply these advices quickly.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

09/24/2013 7:20 PM

Deleted. Answer already given by longinthetooth

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ahmadarshad (4); Andy Germany (4); Autobroker (2); ci139 (1); Doorman (1); Epke (1); garyrich2000 (4); IdeaSmith (1); jack of all trades (3); KeepItSimpleStupid (3); LongintheTooth (5); lyn (2); old salt (1); OldTechNewToys (1); ozzb (2); redfred (3); ronseto (1); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (1); TerraMan (1); The.Tinkerer (1); TRex (1); Yusef1 (2)

Previous in Forum: Help Me to Get Rid of the Ask Search Toolbar   Next in Forum: Why Does My Spelling Errors File Not Work?

Advertisement