Previous in Forum: CT Grounding at One Point   Next in Forum: Cable Type for Connecting Battery Charger to Battery
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Participant
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Distribution Transformer- 1500 kVA

09/24/2013 12:07 AM

Hi,

can somebody give me information about the winding (Wire size, number of turns etc.) and core detail (cross sectional area) of a transformer for which Primary and secondary voltages are same i.e. 415 V and kVA rating is equal to 1500 kVA.

Manish

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

Re: Distribution Transformer- 1500 kVA

09/24/2013 12:13 AM

A paid consultant should be able to help with this.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808

09/24/2013 3:19 AM

There must be at least one designer in each transformer manufacturing company that can do it as well. Transformer manufacturers have been doing this sort of thing so much that they must have protocols for so doing, otherwise how would they stay in business should someone leave (rhetorical question - NNTR)?

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444

09/24/2013 10:12 AM

Google on transformer design, there are a number of good books on this topic. Or you could just buy one and take it apart and copy what you see. Just remember that there is a lot more to this than just winding coils and putting them on a core. Unless this is a student project you will bear all liability for the ensuing fire and/or equipment damage.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

09/24/2013 3:12 PM

If you don't know what you are doing then talk to a transformer manufacturer and get them to do the work. This is not something you should be designing or building yourself (especially at this power level), leave it to the experts.

If this is homework, we don't do homework here.

Safety - ESD - New Member India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 41

09/25/2013 4:43 AM

Hi Manish,

You are from Bangalore a city where second hand electrical text books are available in streets at throw away prices. Just go to any old book dealer and search a book "Electrical Machine Design and Machine Drawing" by MK Sibel .(I remember to have purchased this book way back in 1970 and transformer design has changed so much in 40 years but the basic theory hold good even today) Read pages from 125 to 172 which deals with transformer design . You will get all the information which you require. Electrical engineering design is one of the important paper in Electrical Engineering study and there are hundreds of books available on the subject in almost every technical book shops even in almost all the small towns of India. So you will not have any difficulty in getting one copy and will not cost more than Rs 50/- for a used book. The forum like this cannot help you for basic learning .There is no short cut for learning. It needs real hard work for learning and do not expect spoon feeding.

Login to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 64

09/25/2013 5:29 AM

Dear Mr. Manish,

For 1500 KVA, as stated by you, Primary and Secondary Voltage equal means the Voltage Ratio is 1. For small capacities say FEW VA, like BALOON TRANSFORMER for TV used to filter some unwanted signals was used about 25 to 3 years back.

Pl. clearly inform, where 1500 KVA Capacity Transformer with 1:1 Ratio is required.

I am of the view that your question it self has some error. Pl. clarify.

DHAYANANHDAN.S

Login to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Participant
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #6

09/25/2013 7:19 AM

1500 kVA transformer with ratio 1:1 is required.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808
In reply to #8

07/12/2021 7:45 AM

There is no need to repeat information that was given in the original post.

United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #6

09/25/2013 9:53 AM

Mr. Dhayanandhan-

A 1:1 transformer winding ratio are normally use for electrical isolation which mostly is for safety purposes.. Since the OP question did not provide what the intended application was, it may not be an error for his purpose?

Good Answers: 34

09/25/2013 5:30 AM

Manish it is not that simple,

There are various rules in designing of transformer.

1. Whether one requires the least cost

2. Or one requires the best efficiency.

3. Or one is required to keep the distortion in wave form to least.

To economise on cost, one has to know the market price of Core Plates and Cu.

if copper is coming out to be expansive then one has to Think of a reduction of core diameter. That means he has to

1. Select core which accepts higher flux density without saturating.

2. Increase space factor by dividing core in to number of widths, such that it is close to circular in cross section.

3. If distortion in wave form and lower losses (better efficiency) is not the criteria one can select magnetic loading to up to 15% above the liner portion of magnetising curve.

4. If voltage regulation is not the problem, or purpose of isolating transformer (you are asking 415:415V transformer, so I assume its application is isolating transformer) is to limit or reduce the fault current, that is increase leakage reactance, then to reduce the weight/cost of coper, the primary and secondary can be located in different limbs or upper half primary and lower half secondary on same limb. To reduce the diameter of coils, this will need relatively taller limbs- but there will be overall saving in cost.

If better efficiency is the criteria,

Then one can go for CRGO (cold rolled grain orientated magnetic material) which is additionally annealed to relieve sharing stresses and thus reduce eddy losses.

Further one can select CRGO steel of low Watt loss (it is probably defined in watt/weber/kg).

After selecting the best steel, if still losses are not within limit of achieving the desired efficiency, one has to reduce the Cu Losses by reducing current density.

Transformer is the easiest machine to design. Basic formula is E =4.4 ∏ f n B A (f = frequency, n = number of turns of coil, B= flux density, A= area of cross section).

We start with flux density B and area A, calculate the number of turns (you will find that greater is flux loading of core, lesser is the number of turns and hence cost of Cu)

The two variables n and A are decides how to reduce the cost.

Next comes to decide the window area - so that coils can be accomodated with sufficient intercoil/ inter disc/ inter phases space for cooling and mandatory to avoid flashover.

Once we fix the number of turns - next is to fix current density or current loading. There are guide lines in design books for this parameter - depending upon type of insulation, whether wet or dry transformer and desired efficiency.

Also there are guide lines in design books for cooling ducts width, for different type of windings (cylindrical or disc).

I do not remember these parameters as I studied these in engineering college in 1970. I hope that formula used above is correct (I did not refer any book, just put it from my memory).

But I hope (as my moral duty) that I have given you enough material from what I had studied as well as experienced in 40 years long stay in engineering, to guide how to choose various parameters while designing your transformer using latest design book or document available on web.

Thanks for asking this on forum as it has made to think on this line.

Best of luck

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Login to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dhayanandhan (1); jack of all trades (1); manish123en (1); powersolutionsFBD (1); PWSlack (2); RAMConsult (1); Tornado (1); V.I.Abraham (1); vsar (1)

Previous in Forum: CT Grounding at One Point   Next in Forum: Cable Type for Connecting Battery Charger to Battery

Advertisement