Previous in Forum: Why are Guests Allowed to Post?   Next in Forum: Problem with CR4 pages
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204

CR4 email Subject line

06/05/2007 12:49 PM

I have an idea regarding the emails received from CR4 for thread notices.

as follows:

"CR4 Thrd - "What do you do when you are not on this forum" - by Chrisg288 to Guest"

I think this format would be easier to read, as the current subject line is far too long with the "Comment added to subscribed discussion ' "part.. this is useless information.

When I look at my list of emails received, and there are hundreds of CR4 emails, and they all have the same look. there is nothing telling me what is the thread or author, unless I open the email. (I am using hotmail) and although the subject line does contain the thread name, it is far too long, so not visible in the short version of subject line that hotmail uses.

If you have any input or feedback, I am hoping this thread can become the justification for the change.

Chris

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: CR4 E-mail Subject Line
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 663

Re: CR4 email Subject line

06/05/2007 12:55 PM

Yes, nice:- But how about an option which shows your updated subscribed discussions on your home page but without E-mailing you.....?

(unless this already exists and I'm being thick?)

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

In reply to #1

06/05/2007 12:59 PM

Yes it exists partly. In "Edit your Profile", the last combo box allows you to decide whether emails are sent to you. (based on the email address you subscribed to CR4 with) I'm not sure which home page you were referring to.. or maybe I'm being thick myself.

:)

Chris

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

06/05/2007 1:05 PM

Hmmm, one of us is thick..not sure who lol!

It seems the choice is

'Subscibe...& notify' or,

'Don't subscribe...'

I want 'Subscribe but don't notify'

I did read it twice..but I reserve the right to be wrong! (terms and conditions apply)

In reply to #3

06/05/2007 1:14 PM

Yes, subscribe means that you are subscribing to that thread I believe.

Is your haem pagge a feature that you found on CR4, or something that you have elsewhere on the web? I will go look at that link

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

06/05/2007 1:10 PM

PS.

Home page... from the old Engish 'Haem Pagge'

'that which appears on my 'magic screen' when I click my mousey (mmmmm mousey) on 'Home' (top left under red line)'.

I get a message '4 updated discussions' or some such, which is fine.

In reply to #2

06/05/2007 1:15 PM

Ahhhhhh!

I geddit.

Select 'don't subscribe' and click the subscribe box at the start of the thread!!!??

Meow

Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - S/W Architect Popular Science - Evolution - Fascinating! Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - A fine computer United States - US - Statue of Liberty - NY

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #1

06/05/2007 1:24 PM

Hi

You are right, there is no option for "subcribe to a discussion but do not email me when there are new comments". I suppose that would be valid but I'm not sure what would motivate you to use that option... deleting/ignoring an email is pretty easy. I suppose this could work in combination with the existing options, so some discussions would be create "new comment" emails but others might not, but what would the point be? Can you provide some motivatation for a feature like this?

Thanks
- Mark

Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 51
In reply to #7

06/06/2007 4:10 AM

I think this is valid. Everyday (and sometimes just a few hours later) I get dozens of email from CR4. I've taken to deleting them manually almost immediately. Having been alerted to the fact that new comments are in, I just zip over to CR4 and open the "subscribed discussions list".

For me, a single message that tells me there's something new is enough. I open everything once I enter CR4 anyway. I don't open discussions directly from the email alerts.

It might be a little difficult to do that. You'd need to know that a new-comment-alert has been read and run a program to reset a flag or something. When a new comment comes around, the flag is set and another message is sent, but only one.

Alternatively, I'd like a choice to be alerted via email or just an alert in my list of subscribed discussions. As I understand it, if you subscribe to a post, an email will be sent whether you want it or not. I visit CR4 everyday (several times a day actually) so the email alert is not really needed. Still I'd like to have that option.

In reply to #10

06/06/2007 4:16 AM

Exactly...

I'm afraid I'm addicted and open CR4 every 15 mins...mind the old attention span isn't what it was.

Now what was I saying?

Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - S/W Architect Popular Science - Evolution - Fascinating! Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - A fine computer United States - US - Statue of Liberty - NY

In reply to #10

06/06/2007 8:44 AM

Interesting... I did have a model (on paper) where we would only send one message until the person's next visit to CR4 (which we track), but I was afraid that if they didn't visit right away (because the discussion with the new comment wasn't that interesting, for example), and then let days go by before visiting, then they would risk missing out on alerts for new comments on other discussions. Maybe there is a compromise somewhere in there...

I also end up deleting a bunch of alert messages after each visit... I haven't found it to be too annoying yet (I get lots of email all day anyway, and I use "rules" to sort them into different folders for me), but I can see how some of the emails aren't really needed as long as the recipient doesn't mind visiting the site to see what else has happened since that alert email was sent. Hmm...

Thanks
- Mark

In reply to #10

06/08/2007 8:35 AM

Hi Folks

I released a version of CR4 this morning that has a new feature that you may be interested in: the ability to limit the number of "subscribed discussion" alerts to one until your next visit. The setting is off by default so if you want to try it out go to your Profile, hit Edit Profile, and go to the bottom where you will find the Limit Subscribed Discussion Alerts setting.

I hope some of you find this feature useful. Let me know if you think a tweak or two is in order.

Also, I changed the subject line of the discussion alert emails a little... it's shorter and includes some info about the post.

Thanks
- Mark

In reply to #1

11/30/2007 8:36 AM

FYI, as of 11/30/07 there is a new option in the "Limit Subscribed Discussion Alerts" section: "Do not email". This will track subscribed discussions just like always (so, they will appear in the little yellow box, etc) but the system will never email you. I included this feature in the CR4 update I did last night, but I forgot to mention it in the general announcement.

Thanks
- Mark

In reply to #19

11/30/2007 2:39 PM

There was a problem with the subscribed discussion alerts last night so the alert for my comment above probably didn't go out; this comment is here to force an alert.

06/05/2007 3:27 PM

Hi Chris

The original reason that the subject line doesn't say who anything about the new comment ("by X in reply to Y") is because any given notification email might "cover" more than one comment... we only send out notifications every few minutes and multiple comments could have been added during that time. I ended up adding that information to the body of the "notify" message later, so I guess that means I don't have any reason not to add it to the subject line too. (I may have hesitated adding it to the subject line because I didn't want people to ignore new comments based solely on this potentially-incomplete information.) That said, yeah, adding the "by X in reply to Y" could be a good idea, but probably only if the subject line was shorter...

Removing the "Comment added to subscribed discussion" text and replacing it with something shorter sounds good, but I feel funny about truncating it too much... I think a subject line should tell you what it is, and the notification email ought to include the words "new comment". I guess we could leave off the "kind" of thing (the words "Forum Thread" or "Blog Entry"), because if we don't leave them off then the subject would be only marginally shorter than it is today! (I also am a little wary of changing subject lines because people could have created "rules" in their email programs to filter stuff out, and changing a subject line could break their rules. We can't let this prevent changes, but it is a consideration.)

I'll see what I can do... thanks for the suggestion.
- Mark

In reply to #8

06/05/2007 3:44 PM

Thanks Mark,

I didn't just submit directly to you, my suggestion, because I also wanted to get a consensus for change, and that way, you would have the opinion of users before proceeding. As I think of more suggestions, I plan on doing the same process.

If you are, as suggested, the author of this system... my commmendations. I love it.

Chris

Register to Reply
The Architect

In reply to #9

06/06/2007 8:37 AM

Hi Chris

Yup, I'm the main programmer for CR4... been working on it since November of 2005, on and off (mostly off lately... on to other projects). And yes, submitting suggestions via a forum post makes a lot of sense. We may add a forum specifically for this kind of discussion one day but for now, this is entirely appropriate.

Thanks
- Mark

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #12

06/07/2007 2:46 PM

You folks have done a great job -- thanks for CR4

Register to Reply
Guru

10/22/2007 10:51 AM

I agree there is something not working as it should here. Yuo should be able to subscribe to a thread and get email notification (though I wouldn't want the latter); alternatively you should be able to subscribe to a thread and not get the notification by email. In the latter case yuo should be able to pull up you're list of subsrcibed threads when logged which would highlight any that have had recent additions and allow you to unsubscribe when you'd had enough.

I quote as a fair example: www.alfaowner.com

In reply to #16

10/22/2007 11:50 AM

Hi

Yeah, I understand your suggestion with the email/non-email concepts for subscriptions, but unfortunately I'm not able to work on that right now. Have you tried the "Limit Subscribed Discussion Alerts" option in your profile? It should keep the number of email down (but they won't be eliminated).

Thanks
- Mark

In reply to #17

10/23/2007 9:48 AM

Thanks, I'll revue the setting but I thuoght I'd done it to the best advantage earlier.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

chrisg288 (3); Del the cat (5); mgaulin (8); user-deleted-5 (1); Vulcan (1); Wrenched (2)

Previous in Forum: Why are Guests Allowed to Post?   Next in Forum: Problem with CR4 pages
You might be interested in: Thread Gages, Thread Rolling Machines, Thread Tapes

Advertisement