Previous in Forum: Blowdown Valve Failure   Next in Forum: Current Monitoring Diodes
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Agricultural Engineering - Agricultural Mechanization Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Translator Technical Fields - Education - Fluid Power Uruguay - Member - Born and raised.

Good Answers: 3

Does Flowmeter Diameter Depend On Pipe Diameter?

09/30/2013 11:29 AM

I need to specify the flowmeters for several applications in a project. The client gives me the mass flow or volumetric flow (depending on the fluid), and I know the pipe diameter for each service from the piping diagrams.

Does the size of the flowmeter depend on the amount of flow that passes through or on the size of the related pipe?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: Does flowmeter diameter depend of pipe diameter?

09/30/2013 12:00 PM

Depends on the type of flow meter.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Agricultural Engineering - Agricultural Mechanization Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Translator Technical Fields - Education - Fluid Power Uruguay - Member - Born and raised.

In reply to #1

09/30/2013 4:03 PM

So far I have listed:

(Fluid // Flowmeter type // Capacity)

Vegetable oil // Coriolis // 8500 kg/hour

Overheated steam // Vortex // 9000 kg/hour

Overheated steam // Vortex // 10000 kg/hour

Overheated steam // Vortex // 7000 kg/hour

Steam condensate // Coriolis // 5700 kg/hour

Steam condensate // Coriolis // 3500 kg/hour

Soft water // Coriolis // 0.9 m3/hour

Soft water // Coriolis // 35 m3/hour

Osmosis water // Coriolis // 21 m3/hour

Industrial compressed air (humid) // Vortex // 400 Nm3/hour

Industrial compressed air (humid) // Vortex // 800 Nm3/hour

Industrial compressed air (humid) // Vortex // 200 Nm3/hour

Instruments compressed air (dry) // Vortex // Casual use

Instruments compressed air (dry) // Vortex // 165 Nm3/hour

Instruments compressed air (dry) // Vortex // 200 Nm3/hour

Tap water // Pulses // 2.1 m3/hour

Tap water // Pulses // 1.3 m3/hour

Tap water // Pulses // 1.3 m3/hour

Waste water // Ultrasonic // 0.9 m3/hour

Waste water // Ultrasonic // 5.0 m3/hour

Waste water // Ultrasonic // 0.8 m3/hour

Good Answers: 1663
In reply to #2

09/30/2013 6:02 PM

Send this list to your vendor.

You may want to reconcile the weird units first, or let the guy who makes the commission on this sale do the math. That's not me.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #2

10/01/2013 9:19 AM

Now for each flow, apply the pipe radius squared and pi (the area), and you will have flow velocity - make a spreadsheet with all this on it, and let the vendors then guide you to the correct applications of the flow meters.

In reply to #2

11/06/2013 2:30 AM

DONN'T PUZZEL YOUR SELF JUST SEND ALL THIS INFORMATION TO THE VENDORS FROM THERE YOU WILL GET A GOOD IDEA,THE PIPE SIZE DIAMETER DOES GIVE YOU THE SIZE OF THE ORRIFICE PLATE FOR THE FLOW METER.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

Re: Does Flowmeter Diameter Depend On Pipe Diameter?

09/30/2013 11:41 PM

Mag flow meters measures velocity, then converts to flow after looking at pipe size.Depending on the make there is a min. and max. velocity.We have many applications were we reduce the size of the flow tube so we can get the extra velocity.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

10/01/2013 3:08 AM

Asa always, a few telephone calls with equipment vendors soon sorts things out.

Telephone calls are brilliant! They are two-way. Interactive, in fact. One gleans such a lot of information in a very short time.

Unlike e-mail, which is impersonal, non-interactive, and ignorable.

Power-User

Good Answers: 63

10/01/2013 10:21 AM

Expanding on Eltech's comment:

Vortex and ultrasonic are velocity measurements so each has a minimum flow rate, in fact vortex has an inherent low flow cutoff point (nominally up to about 9-10% of full scale flow) where the flow is reported as zero flow.

It is very common to see vortex meters that are 1 or even 2 pipe sizes smaller than the line size in order to get sufficient velocity in the flow range of interest.

Headers for steam or air can be problematic at low demand/flow conditions because flow velocity in the header's larger pipe diameter can drop below the minimum that a vortex can sense (too few vortices over time to get an accurate reading.)

Vortex is also very fussy about flow profile with long straight meter runs of piping recommended.

Pressure drop can be a consideration when reducing the line size.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63

10/02/2013 8:59 AM

Where I work, we build many process skids per year with at least one flow meter on each. We ALWAYS let the manufacturer decide the size of the flow meter. The end size is usually smaller than the inlet/outlet piping, but we let them decide for us. It's their instrument and they know it best.

10/02/2013 11:14 AM

Ok, I already sent the list to the vendors, but I would like to know how to do the selection myself. Any books or articles on the subject?

All the books I have found talk about the inner works of the flowmeters, but don't provide selection guiding.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 415
In reply to #9

10/02/2013 12:02 PM

the manufacturers have allot of info on this....... similar to the link I sent.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Apple II -

Good Answers: 46
In reply to #9

10/02/2013 10:06 PM

Bela Liptak's "Instrument Engineer's Handbook" on process measurement gives good advice on flowmeter selection. This is a must-have reference for any process control professional!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

babasiga (1); Carl_E (1); eltech (1); gussosa (2); James Stewart (1); lyn (2); phoenix911 (1); Phys (1); PWSlack (1); tonykuphaldt (1)

Previous in Forum: Blowdown Valve Failure   Next in Forum: Current Monitoring Diodes

Advertisement