Previous in Forum: Repair of Centrifugal Compressor   Next in Forum: Reciprocating Compressor Capacity Control
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

What is Appurtenant Material?

10/13/2013 8:22 AM

"API 650 Clause 4.2.2 a) ASTM A36M/A36 for plates to a maximum thickness of 40 mm (1.5 in.). None of the specifications for the appurtenant materials listed in Table 1 of ASTM A36M/A36 are considered acceptable for tanks constructed under this standard unless it is expressly stated in this standard that the specifications are acceptable."

I would like to know ,what is appurtenant materials?

I know shell plates, bottom plates, annular plates. But I am clueless about appurtenant material. Appurtenant is different from shell,annular and bottom plates or it is a general terminology to mention the plate used for shell,annular and bottom? I am new to API 650 code and heavily working in it to understand the code.Any experienced hand in tank design or fabrication can help me to understand my doubt.

Thanks

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

Re: What is appurtenant material?

10/13/2013 9:06 AM

Google Search Results

ap·pur·te·nantəˈpərtn-ənt/adjectiveadjective: appurtenant

1. 1. belonging; pertinent."secondary buildings that are appurtenant to the main building"
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #1

10/13/2013 9:24 AM

Thanks for the link,I already goolged for the meaning of 'appurtenant materials' mentioned in American Petrochemical Institute Sixfifty. But no convincing answer from any where. Your answer is just the meaning of word 'appurtenant' and it can be used in English literature class.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646
In reply to #2

10/13/2013 11:11 PM

Here's what I got when I googled "Table 1 of ASTM A36M/A36". Now, what part of appurtenant don't you understand?

3. Appurtenant Materials
3.1 When components of a steel structure are identified with this ASTM designation but the product form is not listed in the scope of this specification, the material shall conform to one of the standards listed in Table 1 unless otherwise specified by the purchaser.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #12

10/14/2013 12:22 AM

Thanks a trillion for the info. and your effort, but you are too late I found that table yesterday itself in American Society of Metallurgical Engineers Broiler and Pleasure Vessel Code,Section One, Part A,Non Ferrous Material Specification,SA36/SA36M, Close 3. Moreover, Other experienced guys in this forum precisely explained it yesterday itself.

With Best Regards

Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

10/13/2013 10:25 AM

appurtenant adj : relating to something that is added but is not essential; "an ancillary pump";

[syn: accessory,adjunct, ancillary, adjuvant, auxiliary, subsidiary]

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #3

10/13/2013 11:10 AM

Thanks for the link.Any useful link available to find a solution for my problem?

Anonymous Poster #1

10/13/2013 11:06 AM
Guru

Good Answers: 284
In reply to #4

10/13/2013 10:45 PM

Did you know that the term 'Anonymous Posters' is an anagram for:

'So Snooty Superman'....!

...and also an anagram for:

'Super Monotony Ass'....!

Weird, huh?

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #11

10/14/2013 12:34 AM

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818
In reply to #11

10/14/2013 5:59 AM

That's hilarious!

Location: OHIO, tri-State design and installation, and travel nationally and consults also are international
In reply to #11

10/20/2013 6:48 AM

or someone who divorces from same conjecture and presumption, will likely remain as op#1

and probably among 10,000 viewing CR4

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

10/13/2013 11:24 AM

I think appurtenant materials would be those not actually used for fluid containment, but for supports, stiffeners, etc. Does API 650 have a glossary?

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #6

10/13/2013 11:34 AM

I think the clueless poster has found a way to have a singular, circular conversation with "themselves".

I think we should leave it alone........................................................

Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #7

10/13/2013 3:07 PM

I'm willing to give some benefit of doubt to the OP. Code language is sometimes quite unclear.

Guru

Good Answers: 114

10/13/2013 12:11 PM

From memory, ASTM A36M/A36, Table 1 lists some ASTM specifications for other materials that are considered to be equivalent. This clause says, "It is not equivalent unless we say so in this (the API) specification."

Good Answers: 1728

10/13/2013 2:30 PM

These would be the materials listed whose characteristics are not acceptable for the standard to which you would adhere to, for the project you are constructing....

Power-User

Good Answers: 11

Re: What is Appurtenant Material?

10/14/2013 5:26 PM

(I attempted to post this previously but it doesn't seem to have reached CR4 - apologies if you are seeing this for a second time)

Without claiming to know API 650, wouldn't it simply be the materials that appurtenances are made of? This link (although specific to a bulk liquid fertilizer example) may help with understanding appurtenances:

LAW Writer® Ohio Laws and Rules

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/901%3A5-2-01

(M) "Appurtenances" means plumbing, pumps, valves, gauges, fittings, seals, hoses, metering devices, mixing containers, and portable manufacturing units which are connected to a permanent storage vessel, or which are used to transfer bulk liquid fertilizer into or out of a permanent storage vessel.

Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #16

10/14/2013 10:39 PM

Thanks for the explanation and the link.Unfortunately the link which you have provided is not working.I have corrected it for the benefit of other people in this forum.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/901%3A5-2-01

Power-User

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #17

10/20/2013 6:15 PM

Thanks for making the correction.

Power-User

Location: OHIO, tri-State design and installation, and travel nationally and consults also are international

10/20/2013 6:43 AM

guilty of web searching definitions:

http://www.info.com/search?qkw=appurtenant&qcat=web

appurtenance being less significant than what it belongs to,

- but may be however specified

Something that is an accessory to something but not an integral part of it is an appurtenance

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (6); JP76 (2); lyn (2); Malcolm Stephen (2); passingtongreen (1); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (2); truth is not a compromise (1); Usbport (2)

Previous in Forum: Repair of Centrifugal Compressor   Next in Forum: Reciprocating Compressor Capacity Control

Advertisement