Previous in Forum: 3.3KV 450 KW Motor Soft Starter Demand   Next in Forum: Question about Vacuum Circuit Breakers
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Participant

Isolator and Circuit Breaker Rating

01/30/2014 1:23 AM

Greetings,

in industrial plant we are using distrubution board including MCCB to power remot equipment which having local isolator , chossing the rating of MCCB is as per the load but did the isolator should have the same rate of MCCB , bigger or smaller ,

kindly help.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783

Re: isolator and circuit breaker rating

01/30/2014 2:42 AM

This may vary depending on:
-Whether the load is heaters, lights, motors, or other.
-Local regulations.
-The ampere condition when the isolator will be switched (off, on while starting a motor, or on while running normally).

In reply to #1

01/30/2014 2:50 AM

the load is landry equipment such as like " washer ( including heating and motor) , dryer, ironer) . and the isolators are only for switching equipment on,off and maintainance purpose .

Register to Reply
Associate

01/30/2014 4:39 AM

As rightly said by TORNADO , rating of isolator purely depends on teh type of load if it is a on load isolator . Incase of OFF LOAD ISOALTOR it should be rated to cater the rated current of load .

However the rating of MCCB as well as the rating of Isolator should be higher than then the rated current .

Since it is a local isolator , i belive it should be a OFF LOAD ISOLATOR .!

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

01/30/2014 6:11 AM

Amazingly, British Standard 7671 has been written and published specifically to answer questions like this. It is available from the British Standards Institution's retail outlets in response to a telephone call with a credit card available during the call.

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180
In reply to #4

01/30/2014 6:42 AM

Could you tell me the Reg Nos. please PWS.

I have the BS7671, 17th edition amendment 1 (2011) plus the corrigendum of June 2013 in front of me now.

BTW. It's marketed by the IET (Institute of Engineering and Technology) not the BSI.

Good Answers: 42

Re: Isolator and Circuit Breaker Rating

02/02/2014 10:05 AM

See Wikipedia "Disconnector":

"Unlike load break switches and circuit breakers, disconnectors lack a mechanism for suppression of electric arc, which occurs when conductors carrying high currents are electrically interrupted. Thus, they are off-load devices, intended to be opened only after current has been interrupted by some other control device. Safety regulations of the utility must prevent any attempt to open the disconnector while it supplies a circuit".

I think it is correct. Except the "load break disconnector" a disconnector which may interrupt the rated load, a regular disconnector opening or closing has to be forbidden.

Since the maximum current expected to flow through this circuit has to be limited by circuit breaker, I think, this current has to be the disconnector rated current too.

Good Answers: 166

Re: Isolator and Circuit Breaker Rating

02/04/2014 7:40 PM

The isolator has to be a load-break isolator & its continuous current rating should be equal to or more than the aggregate of the rated currents of all the connected loads.

By the by, I am throwing am interesting question: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ISOLATOR AND A SWITCH? (Apart from spelling, of course!)

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

7anoter4 (1); electricalexpert65 (1); majdhanna (1); PWSlack (1); satnat.2008 (1); TonyS (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: 3.3KV 450 KW Motor Soft Starter Demand   Next in Forum: Question about Vacuum Circuit Breakers

Advertisement