Previous in Forum: Ford Uses OculusVR Tech To Get Behind The Wheel Of Virtual Cars   Next in Forum: Cool Aerodynamics
Close
Close
Close
25 comments
Active Contributor

2004 H-2 Hummer

04/02/2014 2:39 PM

Has anyone had any problems with there ignition switches? and if so what did you due to correct it?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: 2004 H-2 Hummer

04/02/2014 2:56 PM

1. Take it to the dealer.

2. Take it to a repair shop.

3. Buy a replacement switch and install it.

4. Contact dealer and ask if your vehicle has a faulty ignition switch. GM is being reamed over millions of faulty ignition switches, some of which have been fatal.

GM Announces Another Major Recall Before Testimony

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376
In reply to #1

04/02/2014 4:52 PM

<sigh> You would think people would learn after the Ford Pinto and other very public and damaging incidents involving money vs safety.

:(

In reply to #2

04/02/2014 5:19 PM

The bean counters and lawyers got together and decided that it was cheaper to fight a few lawsuits for wrongful death than to fix the defective product.

Job security.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #3

04/02/2014 6:43 PM

Hold it! This whole GM ignition switch issue is out of whack.

It did not make the car operate at an uncontrolled speed careening off the road. It did not disable the steering. It did not disable the brakes. It did disable the airbag system. And the airbag system is not a fail operative system. It is a single point failure system, and there is no requirement for it to be otherwise.

In all cases the operator had lost control of the vehicle. They were mainly young inexperienced drivers. And they had a key ring full of junk. And what would be interesting, was alcohol or any other drugs involved in the stupid operation of the vehicle? And the junk on a key ring can shut off many other vehicles.

There is culpability in the idiot operators that is somehow being lost as a 100% GM design error.

As for the hummer, WTF is the problem you want strangers to fix for you?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #4

04/02/2014 6:54 PM

You have just reinforced the widely held opinion that anonymous posters are complete idiots.

Of course, a widely held opinion is not conclusive evidence, or positive proof, but it's good enough for me, in this case!

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122
In reply to #5

04/03/2014 5:37 PM

LOL!

In reply to #22

04/03/2014 5:46 PM

Well, not everyone thought it was funny.

I ruffled some feathers with that one.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #4

04/03/2014 8:16 AM

Let's see...when I turn the ignition OFF, I have NO power brakes, NO power steering, and if I turn the wheel a bit it LOCKS! OH yeah and the car SLOWS/STOPS in the middle of the highway where the cars behind me were going 70+MPH!!!

Very few people that learn to drive are ever taught what to do if the engine turns off, OR if the gas peddle sticks!

I once had an alternator failure which took the battery with it, I was going 75 passing a truck, on a 3 lane highway in the far left lane, when the engine stalled and the lights went out at night! I was lucky enough to make it to the shoulder, changed my under garments, and used a spare battery to get me the rest of the way home. If it had happened to most people there would have been an accident.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #11

04/03/2014 10:51 AM

Why no power brakes? There is usually (on European sold cars at least) up to around 5 x brake pedal depression with full servo help......is where you are different? It could be even more, I haven't tested that for years!!

It is possible to "waste" that vacuum very quickly, especially if there is a fault with the vacuum servo or master cylinder.....(which should have been fixed!!)

But knowing that the engine has failed, should allow a driver who understands that, to stop safely..with FULL servo help...

Why would the steering lock? That can only happen if you actually remove the key!!! (We have already had this discussion recently!!) Even turning off the ignition, but leaving the key in the lock, on most cars does not cause steering locking (there are a few US cars affected in this way though......)

Switching on the hazard warning lights should be an instant reaction and should allow coasting to a safe halt........that could go wrong with idiots behind you, but usually my cars have coasted for quite some distance.........when fuel has run out for example. I have never been run into in over 50 years of driving for that reason....

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

In reply to #13

04/03/2014 11:01 AM

All of my GM cars (latest is a 2006) will lock the steering, with the key in the ignition but turned OFF. Yes there are still brakes, but the pressure is very high and someone not used to that or knowing that may not apply enough pressure. I believe the problem may be that people panic, because they are not trained in what to do.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #14

04/03/2014 11:27 AM

You should drive a good European car, these design faults simply do not happen, nor with any of the Japanese cars I have owned either.....

None of them locked the steering with the key still in, I have always had to jiggle the steering, after removing the key completely, to allow the pawl to drop and lock the wheel.....

I know you Guys drive far slower (?) so its not quite as dangerous maybe?

In reply to #15

04/03/2014 12:11 PM

I do. I have one GMC truck (used off road primarily), and two Toyota.

In reply to #16

04/03/2014 12:46 PM

GMC European? Thats new!!

Obviously US designed!!

In reply to #19

04/03/2014 12:48 PM

Sorry - Was responding to the Japanese comment. The last European car I own was a 1967 VW Bug...and it was a great car!

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 149
In reply to #15

04/03/2014 12:18 PM

well, we are SUPPOSED to drive slower....

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

In reply to #3

04/03/2014 7:40 AM

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/02/us-gm-recall-delphi-idUSBREA3105R20140402

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #2

04/03/2014 9:46 AM

The recall does not cover all the problems either. I have one of those recalled cars and my switch failed 2 years ago, as I find a number of others did, in the opposite way from the failure mentioned in the recall. Instead of suddenly turning off, the darn thing would not turn off. Had to pull fuses to stop the processor to kill the thing. Now I don't know if my new switch is one that fails the way the recall mentions, or if it is a proper replacement.

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

04/02/2014 10:53 PM

their ≠ there; and ≠ And; do ≠ due.

--Editor Crankshaft

Good Answers: 102

04/02/2014 11:26 PM

What exactly is the problem with your switch?

In reply to #7

04/04/2014 2:49 PM

What if you stop the car and cant turn off the key to stop the engine?

Register to Reply
Guru

04/03/2014 2:10 AM

There must be a handful of people in the world, who are not in an army somewhere, who actually"NEED" a Hummer.......

The rest are trying to make up for what Mother nature was not very plentiful with....with a BIG extension......

As an old Germany saying goes:- "I only have a little key, but it fits every lock!"

Furthermore this meant that I actually rather like the Anonymous Poster's comment as it appeared to be more than a little accurate.......he won't win many friends here I suspect though......sadly!!!

Its a fun blog to watch, better than the news on the TV for example......

Have a great day folks!!

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122
In reply to #8

04/03/2014 5:34 PM

LOL ! GA!

04/03/2014 7:16 AM

you know it is under recall for that problem right?

In reply to #9

04/03/2014 12:12 PM

Thanks so much I will check this out.

Register to Reply
Guru

04/04/2014 3:24 AM

This blog just keeps getting better/funnier!!!!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (5); Anonymous Poster (1); b weaver (2); jack of all trades (1); lyn (4); Phys (1); Rorschach (3); SHOCKHISCAN (2); Tom_Consulting (4); Tornado (1); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: Ford Uses OculusVR Tech To Get Behind The Wheel Of Virtual Cars   Next in Forum: Cool Aerodynamics

Advertisement