Previous in Forum: Powered Caravan   Next in Forum: High Voltage Surge Arrestors
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Power-User
Turkey - Member - New Member

Electrical Concepts in German (Antipumping Relay)

05/23/2014 5:24 AM

Hello , I wonder if there is a good site I can find to learn the names of electrical concepts in german? For example I could not find anything online of antipumping relay, Can I access all the concepts related to electrotechnik in german language?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

Re: Electrical Concepts in German (Antipumping relay)

05/23/2014 7:47 AM

Antipumprelais

Took about 5 seconds to find.

I don't know if it's right though.

In reply to #1

05/23/2014 8:06 AM

yep it seem correct but is it not weird that in all german language there are only 7 related website:)

Good Answers: 1662

05/23/2014 11:50 AM
Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

05/23/2014 12:08 PM

Ah, since you understand technical stuff in German, you might want to visit an automation group based Germany and look over their application information. We have been using their products recently and I believe they are very good at what they do. I'm speaking of Beckhoff Automation which I now prefer to Allen Bradley. Try www.beckhoffautomation.com and Gross Gout! (Pardon me if I misspelled that)

Power-User

Good Answers: 34

Re: Electrical Concepts in German (Antipumping Relay)

05/24/2014 2:16 AM

I try explaining function of Anti Pumping Relay, may help you in finding suitable term for this word in English.

Anti-pumping relay is used in closing circuits of Circuit Breaker designed to close via closing coil. Consider following sequence of operation to understand its requirement.

Breaker in Off position.

Operator releases close command via close / open switch.

Breaker closes

Assume that there is an electrical fault down stream of Breaker.

The Breaker Trips immediately due to action of fault relay.

(Above process of closing and tripping normally take less than 230 m secs. (125 + 30 + 80, closing time + relay operation + tripping time).

It is very likely that operator has not yet released the closing switch (as 230 m Sec is too short), under this situation Breaker can close again on fault - and trip and so on.

Anti pumping Relay is to prevent above instantaneous repeated closing of the Breaker under above situation.

The coil of Anti-pumping relay is energized once Breaker closes and is only reset after closing command is released.

Normally Closed contact of Anti pumping relay is wired in series with closing circuit of Breaker. Hence prevents above type of accident.

With above design function of Anti pumping Relay - Sure you can define terminology in German Language. - "Some Relay to prevent repeated closing"

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

05/24/2014 6:16 AM

Its not easy, you will see some errors in translation. Its important to be able to recognise them as far as possible! Sadly!!

See here:-

http://www.linguee.de/englisch-deutsch/uebersetzung/technical+dictionary.html

Good Answers: 176
In reply to #6

05/26/2014 11:27 AM

GA for that link to an excellent resource!

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #13

05/27/2014 2:52 PM

When I worked, it was in an internationally famous Computer company (not IBM). I worked out of the main German office for many years. We were in all, two Brits and one American, all the rest being German.

We used to play a Game, where one of us would translate as badly as possible a saying or well known phrase into the opposite language (German or English). The others had to guess the original...

We have managed to get us into helpless laughter with such translations....

A computer screen is a (Bild)Schirm, so it might be badly translated as an Umbrella (Regenschirm), or even a parachute (Fallschirm!). The Germans often leave the first part of the word off!!

To "complain" is to "Beschwer" which could mean in a bad translation "make heavy".......fun stuff.

When amongst ourselves, we spoke English, but if the best word was a German one, it was used in an English sentence.....used to cause laughter amongst the Germans trying to follow the conversation....

I have also found that when listening/talking to someone in German, an English word mixed in, can be difficult to catch (at my age!!) nowadays.....(Lack of practice!!) Plus accent and mispronouncing of course!!

Good Answers: 30

05/24/2014 8:04 AM

First, the good news. Any educated German will have a good grasp of English, including the technical terms related to his/her specialty. To start with, therefore, you can get away with putting "anti-pumping Relay" in inverted commas in your German text (bearing in mind that in German a noun is always written with an initial upper-case letter). Indeed, it is possible that no translation exists for such devices: I went back to Germany to find that the word "laser" was the definitive word in German as well as English, and that the word was pronounced as in English rather than according to German pronunciation rules.
If you wish to pursue internet searches, the top names in German dictionaries of all kinds are Langenscheidt and Duden. There are some technical dictionary services you may have to subscribe to.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

05/24/2014 1:32 PM

You have reminded me about some computer training courses, given by a German company, I took for IBM OSs of the day. It must be at least 20 years ago if not more.....

I was the senior engineer on the course (the only one not a German!), but after the first morning I started talking to the other Engineers with me as I could not fully understand the course as the course writers had "Germanised" all the English/American words in the computer industry, THAT WE HAD ALL CUT OUR TEETH ON, Brit and German alike!!!!

So I was not alone in not being able to understand it properly. Short English words having been translated into new, made up, several words of German. It was awful!!

I went to see my Boss, (a German Guy with really good English) and told him how we were having problems. He sat in for 10 minutes before throwing the company out....so they lasted less than one day!!!

Sorted!!

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

05/24/2014 2:49 PM

I have a German manual somewhere which I as Afrikaans speaking could somewhat understand. I think they called pumping stottern (english stutter) it could then be "tegen stottern rele"

But I cannot speak German - and could be 200% wrong.

In reply to #9

05/24/2014 4:53 PM

As you yourself said, the word you used has more to do with "stuttering" or "stammering", but you can easily see the relationship.....

Good Answers: 176

05/25/2014 6:15 PM

If I understood the description correctly, it sounds like logic to prevent relay chatter (in American English).

Analog-to-digital conversions 'dither', PID output 'hunts', but a relay that rapidly turns on and off 'chatters'.

I would term that function "pump anti-chatter logic" and its control relay, "pump anti-chatter relay".

"Chatter" might provide another search term option.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

05/26/2014 8:50 AM

Jawohl.

Register to Reply
Power-User

05/28/2014 4:05 AM

I think I made all you advised but I am still ignorant:)

In reply to #15

05/28/2014 4:22 AM

Please advise, I am on the wood way!

In reply to #15

05/28/2014 4:34 AM

also I could not find a good electrotechnique website in german language.. Why germans are not so much interested in these types of engineering issues?

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #15

05/28/2014 7:07 AM

strakertranslations.com

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 18 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (5); Anonymous Poster (2); Hendrik (1); Iris (2); jinxnao (3); lyn (1); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); phph001 (1); powersolutionsFBD (1); TonyS (1)

Previous in Forum: Powered Caravan   Next in Forum: High Voltage Surge Arrestors

Advertisement