Previous in Forum: Split Coupling Design   Next in Forum: Pump Speed Adjustment - Ramping
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Commentator

Downloading of Handbook

11/10/2015 6:44 AM

I have soft copy of Carrier Hand Book of Air Conditioning system design all the 12 chapters down loaded from China site. If i upload this in web site for the use of other fellow HVAC students and engineers, will it be violation of copy right law of Carrier Co? Will they take legal action?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Up loading Hand book
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

Re: Down loading of Hand book

11/10/2015 6:51 AM

Yes and no. So it would be safer not to do it. Let the students find their own way by just giving them the URL instead, Mildred.

Power-User

Good Answers: 12

11/10/2015 7:21 AM

I suspect that the copy you have probably violates copyright (unless you officially got it from Carrier Co from their Chinese site... I'm not familiar with them). So posting it probably will violate their copyright, unless maybe it was a student edition? Usually, if you have to pay for something and then get it for free on the web, there is a copyright violation somewhere.

But hey, I'm just an engineer that tries to think logically - maybe a lawyer will have a different answer! My advice here is not worth the paper it is written on - oh, we're paperless, then it has negative value

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Power-User

In reply to #2

11/10/2015 7:44 AM

Copyright does not apply in the South pole, so it does not matter.

In reply to #2

11/10/2015 6:20 PM

It is a photostat copy of the original carrier hand book

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

Re: Down Loading Of Hand Book

11/10/2015 1:24 PM

For your information, copyright is world wide.
I'm on the trail of someone in California at the moment for claiming my work as their own.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376
In reply to #4

11/10/2015 2:56 PM

I nailed the last one that tried it with my work. A direct copy, spelling mistakes and all.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #5

11/10/2015 5:05 PM

Some maps are produced with deliberate spelling errors and other surprises for the very purpose of detecting copyright violators.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #6

11/10/2015 6:15 PM

Yes... Yes that was what I was trying to accomplish.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #6

11/11/2015 9:20 AM

When doing city maps, those are usually known as 'trap streets,' an imaginary side street or alley that cuts through the middle of a block, or a 'six corners' intersection drawn as three intersections with a triangular island in the middle.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1661

11/10/2015 5:30 PM

If the manual is copyrighted, you are in violation.

It is your duty to know the laws.

CR4 Rules

1. Posts that discuss illegal activities or transactions, and/or references to websites purveying warez, cracks, etc. will be removed. We do not support the copying or selling of any copywritten copyrighted material by anyone other than the copyright holder or an authorized reseller. This includes, but is not limited to software, books and printed material; images; standards and certifications, etc.

Finally, disregard any and all comments from the troll Legolaz.
<I edited copywritten to copyrighted in the text>

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #7

11/10/2015 6:03 PM

I wonder how is plagiarism far different fro copyrigthen?- damn, it sounds german

In reply to #8

11/10/2015 6:20 PM

It could be considered along similar lines to pretending to be someone else for the purposes of gaining access to somewhere said person has had their access revoked for good reasons.

Good Answers: 1661
In reply to #8

11/10/2015 6:45 PM

Try not to speak!

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #12

11/10/2015 7:05 PM

ok i hold my mouth

Good Answers: 116

11/10/2015 11:07 PM

did you think about asking them? Or as Crabtree suggested, just post the link

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #14

11/11/2015 2:15 AM

Ask the company if they will allow you to supply a copy for student use, downloaded from them (not your copy!).

Do not tell them you have what is probably a Pirate copy. Thats a bad start.

Some companies are very happy to have students trained on their "equipment", as it gives them an edge later on with such students when supplying equipment.

At the worst, each student may have to pay a small sum to the company concerned....maybe with their first order in a few years, they may get their money back....

There are several possible scenarios.

If they don't want to "play ball", find another company.....

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #15

11/11/2015 9:24 AM

To use the internet parlance:

THIS! Exactly this!

Andy has hit the nail squarely on the head, and driven it with one blow. Listen to every work on his post.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63

Re: Downloading of Handbook

11/11/2015 4:20 PM

Be very careful here - If Carrier doesn't get you directly, it is possible a student will "take you down". If they suspect the copy is pirated and become disgruntled - big problems can occur. Some years ago, I saw two engineers of a company from Boston turn over a pirate copy of Rockwell's RS Logix500 to an instructor in a Rockwell training class on RS Logix500. They were apparently unhappy with their employer and got even this way. They told Rockwell this was what they were given by their employer to use on the company's SLC500. Today this would be a joke, as they are nearly obsolete, but this was when they were top of the AB line.

In reply to #18

11/12/2015 9:23 AM

The SLC500 may be a joke, but the Micrologix software is still a big business for AB, Micrologix500 covers a number of PLCs, from the SLC series to the comparable micro- and nano-PLCs. If you don't need a full PAC for your system, one of those micro or nano units would fit the bill, and they're still in production, unlike the discontinued(?) SLC series.

Bottom line, AB is STILL hot to get their license money for ML500 to this day.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #19

11/12/2015 9:37 AM

We use AB processors almost exclusively, and every few months another new micro or mini comes out to replace the RS Logix 500 model with a RS Logix 5000 based one. The software for the 500 series has been pirated many times over by now and Rockwell is moving away from it. Doubt they'd get real upset anymore by a pirate copy appearing in a students hands in a class room. Make that the RS Logix 5000 and they'd come all unglued.

In reply to #20

11/12/2015 10:15 AM

We still use RSLogix500 here in the plant to maintain our PLCs. Then again, they're all SLCs or Micrologix1100 series, none of the higher-end stuff.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 10

11/12/2015 1:03 PM

I run into this from time to time. The originator of the document is most helpful in these situations. I have had them say 'NO' you cannot download it, one said 'YES - I wish more people would do this'. Another even said its OK but offered to email me the latest edition. This will always be the say so of the originator of the document. JHF (my sea lawer point of view)

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (4); Andy Germany (1); brich (1); Circuit Breaker (1); Crabtree (1); gideon (1); jack of all trades (3); Legolaz (3); lyn (2); Padmanabhan Iyer (1); Phys (2); TonyS (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Split Coupling Design   Next in Forum: Pump Speed Adjustment - Ramping

Advertisement