Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Guru

Good Answers: 206

Is This Possible?

03/18/2016 5:58 PM

A drone flew within 200 feet of a jet airliner that was preparing to land at Los Angeles International Airport on Friday afternoon, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman said, citing a report from the aircraft's pilot.

The incident occurred at an altitude of about 5,000 feet as the Lufthansa Airbus A380 plane was approaching a runway at the airport, said Ian Gregor of the FAA.

Also posted in: also posted in Aerospace
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: is this possible?

03/18/2016 6:22 PM

A jet engine ought to chop it up pretty good. Or vice versa.

Anonymous Poster #1

03/18/2016 6:24 PM

If you're an ISIS member, and you order a drone from Amazon.com, how will they ship it?

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #2

03/21/2016 9:57 AM

By Stinger missile!

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #2

03/23/2016 12:24 AM

Very carefully!

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 934

03/18/2016 6:32 PM

I'm certain that this can and has happened. Military drones reach tens of thousands of feet in altitude. I believe unmodified, consumer drones are limited to a few hundred feet. However, if an autonomous drone can fly 500 ft above the ground of Denver Co. then there is enough lift for it to fly at 6000 ft above Los Angeles. The question then becomes battery capacity and not avionics.

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #3

03/18/2016 7:11 PM

The question is really how many millions of dollars will we taxpayers be forced to spend because of stupid idiots with more money than brains who blatantly ignore laws meant to protect innocent people?

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #7

03/21/2016 9:59 AM

That kind of behavior is why we are heading back down the evolutionary ladder than up it. Hey, it's OK. Mankind has had his day in the sun, now soon, it will be time to hand over the keys of the kingdom to the dogs. We have been saying this country is going to the dogs for such a long time. It is now confirmed.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409
In reply to #40

03/21/2016 10:34 AM

Those dam Apes......

Good Answers: 1723
In reply to #42

03/21/2016 12:34 PM
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #44

03/21/2016 12:53 PM

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Bigfoot researcher finally catches human being!

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1025

03/18/2016 7:01 PM

Following the rise of the drone industry is an anti-drone industry...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/drones/a15328/droneshield-anti-drone-business/

I can foresee some type of system being installed at airports, especially if a collision or crash occurs.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #4

03/21/2016 12:57 PM

Next thing will be the anti-anti-drone, and the whole thing escalates in a stupid arms race.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

03/18/2016 7:02 PM

I see pretty strict regulations in the near future on these drones.

Power-User

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #5

03/20/2016 12:35 PM

Big Brother is already beating that drum in California. America has become the "Land of the one idiot who can ruin life for everyone else"! Why not simply make sure that the one idiot cannot repeat his folly?

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #17

03/20/2016 1:59 PM

California is that way for a very long time.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #17

03/23/2016 10:15 PM

While I agree with your conclusion, I think part of the problem is that the idiot does not realize that he is an idiot.

In reply to #87

03/24/2016 5:53 AM

Narcissism?

In reply to #87

03/24/2016 9:42 AM

The beginning of wisdom is the first realization of ignorance, and with that the admission of folly.

Educate the idiot, and throw the ones that "do not get it", or are too busy with Tom Foolery and laughter to be serious in class for that one minute it takes, throw them far, far under the jail.

My father used to say (about life in general), "Sink or swim, your choice." Then we would throw my little butt into the cold water of our neighbor's earth work irrigation reservoir (otherwise known as a tank back then). I chose to swim.

03/18/2016 7:04 PM

I can't say for sure, but I would guess that it is....

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/how-long-will-unregulated-fpv-and-rc-last

In reply to #6

03/19/2016 11:09 PM

"The Consumer Technology Association has estimated that 2.8 million drones will be sold in the U.S. this year, a 149 percent increase from 2015.

Last month, the FAA announced there are now more registered drone operators in the U.S. (325,000) than there are registered manned aircraft (320,000)."

"Last year a man agreed to give up his $6,000 drone system and promise not to fly a drone for three years after the craft flew into the path of a police helicopter during a Hollywood manhunt."

http://wtop.com/politics/2016/03/drone-comes-within-200-feet-of-airliner-near-la-airport-2/

Guru

Good Answers: 165

03/19/2016 12:04 AM

Lift isn't the problem. How far away (in any direction) can you control it, with a very weak radio signal, is the problem. These things are going to have a "safety default" for when they lose the signal.

That is unless some moron smart boy boosts the signal beyond legal limits.

In reply to #8

03/19/2016 12:39 AM

If the whole shtick is to make them autonomous, then "control system" will become a ridiculous phrase.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #9

03/19/2016 1:16 AM

Of course. Who would think that such anarchists would follow Asimov's Laws of Robotics? Get real.

Guru

Good Answers: 165
In reply to #9

03/20/2016 9:57 PM

If you are talking about military drones, then yes, autonomous is part of the equation. But this appears to be "mass market", so no, autonomous is not on the table at this point.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #8

03/19/2016 9:24 AM

There are so very many autonomous programming possibilities today (Arduino, LEGO Mindstorm, etc.) that a drone that can automatically map a multiple acre farm onto a thumb drive in a few hours could easily reach that altitude.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #8

03/20/2016 10:24 AM

Vertically above the transmitter, using the Earth as a ground plane will give the longest range....

Also I am sure that there are people around (probably on CR4 as well!) who could boost the transmitter power/Receiver sensitivity, I believe that the right sort of amplifiers are easily available........or could probably be easily made with a little bit of specific knowledge....

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #8

03/21/2016 11:09 PM

Yes, the DJI drone my wife has runs out of 'radio range' at about 1,000 feet (up or sideways, you can choose or some combination thereof) and then it goes into autonomous homing mode back to its start point.

Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

03/19/2016 7:54 AM

Here is a novel way to control unwanted drones!

http://mashable.com/2016/02/01/dutch-police-eagles-drones/#NVYsLczOCEqM

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 816
In reply to #11

03/21/2016 7:20 AM

The Dutch seem to have found a way to control unwanted eagles.

Good Answers: 3

03/20/2016 11:42 AM

A change of terminology is needed as well as a change in classification . Let's stop calling these drones and start calling them what they are , radio controlled aircraft . And they should be classified as such . If you flew a remotely controlled airplane anywhere near a populated area or airport of any size you would be fined heavily . Radio controlled aircraft are strictly controlled by both the AMA and the FAA due to the potential of injury to the public . This entire " drone " industry needs to be reexamined for public safety .

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #15

03/20/2016 12:10 PM

I believe that they already are.

Unfortunately, an idiot with a $500.00 drone has much less concern over the public than a licensed pilot flying a $1,000,000.00 airplane.

Power-User

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #15

03/20/2016 10:37 PM

I Think I said this before and I agree...

My greatest gripe is the term "drone". That term is synonymous with military, reconnaissance and surveillance. What we the public have access to is remote control flying vehicles using wifi/GPS. Yes, technology has made these units fly higher, further with greater accuracy and the possibility to capture images/video at a "affordable" price. But I feel that the media like to hype the "issue" and call it a "drone" to instill fear on people. If fear is used then some action will take place.

Yes there are twits out there doing stupid things with them, but to "regulate" a hobby is (in my view) a little over the top. Those flying them over beaches will "get-over-it" after the buzz wears thin (there are only so many footage of sand/water/people one would need/want).

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #15

03/21/2016 9:21 AM

Mr. Fear-monger, "Bu-but if we stop calling them drone, how'r'we supposed to keep the sheep a-scared and obidient? Not-scared sheep might even start *GASP* THINKING! And once they've started thinking we c'aint controll them evah agin!"

(I don't know what accent that's supposed to be; I think I jumbled together three or for politicians I dislike to make it.)

Obviously, I am all for proper terminology, and for giving people the tools to think critically and make their own decisions.

Quit calling them 'drones,' call them 'quadcopters,' that's what they were called before the 'drone' name became a popular substitute for 'Military UAV (Unmanned Arial Vehicle)' and entered the general vocabulary.

Flying a ratio controlled plane near an airport? You can't use an RC ANYTHING within a certain distance from the control tower, because the airport wants (and has) exclusive access to all RF transmissions within its domain. That don't want ANYTHING interfereing with the plane's communications or its sensors.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru

In reply to #38

03/23/2016 7:51 PM

Well drones have been around for a long time....Here's a pick of Marilyn Monroe from 1945 building a drone....

"The first large-scale production, purpose-built drone was the product of Reginald Denny. He served with the British Royal Flying Corps during World War I, and after the war, in 1919, emigrated to the United States to seek his fortunes in Hollywood as an actor. Denny had made a name for himself as an actor, and between acting jobs, he pursued his interest in radio control model aircraft in the 1930s. He and his business partners formed "Reginald Denny Industries" and opened a model plane shop in 1934 on Hollywood Boulevard known as "Reginald Denny Hobby Shops".[8]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_unmanned_aerial_vehicles

In reply to #83

03/23/2016 7:59 PM

When did she go blonde?

In reply to #84

03/23/2016 8:03 PM

Right before she got famous, of course.

In reply to #85

03/23/2016 8:16 PM

Just idle curiosity on my part; I may be getting old, but not old enough really to care about that.

In reply to #86

03/24/2016 5:52 AM

Well, when she really got famous was when she was in the first issue of playboy.

http://www.playboyenterprises.com/about/history/

She was blond then.... It's a matter of finding her as a a brunette prior, when she wasn't famous to zero in on it.

Still idle curiosity,... With time to kill, waiting on the snowplow a to go through so I can get to work. Nothing more.

So between 1945 and 1953.

In reply to #85

03/24/2016 9:36 AM

So you are saying one has to become dumb to become famous? LOL

In reply to #91

03/24/2016 9:47 AM

Nope.... Marketing and packaging..........but, here are some examples of blonds that appear dumb, but actually not only successful and are quiet intelligent as well as business savvy....

Farrah Fawcett and Suzanne Summers.

In reply to #85

03/24/2016 12:17 PM

Well here's one from 1946, she's 19 here and this is thought to be the first professional photo taken of the girl that wanted to become a model....

This a bit later 1949....

Becomes blonde around 1950...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2954262/Who-s-girl-official-photograph-Marilyn-Monroe-revealing-fresh-faced-teen-1946-sells-auction-3-000.html

In reply to #98

03/24/2016 12:43 PM

got it.... 1950 she become a blond.....

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #83

03/24/2016 5:56 AM

Great picture, great infos, thanks.

In reply to #83

03/24/2016 9:37 AM

Boy, I would like to be a drone in that queen bee's hive!

In reply to #15

03/21/2016 11:42 AM

The term drone is accurate. Most of these devices have autonomous modes where they are designed to return "home" after a loss of signal or they fly a programmed route. One can fly them like a RC craft but even then the RC controls signals do not control one individual motor speed or position. The on board intelligence interprets the request and responds accordingly.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #43

03/24/2016 9:54 AM

"Most of these devices have autonomous modes where they are designed to return "home" after a loss of signal or they fly a programmed route."

By that definition, all of those jet ski/skeedos/'floating motorcycle things' would also be drones, as when they 'lose communication with the controller' they are 'programmed' to travel in a slow, counter-clockwise circle. (aka, the throttle's default position is 'slow idle' and the steering's neutral position is 'gentle left turn').

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru

Good Answers: 29

03/20/2016 12:41 PM

Realistically, at the speed the A380 was traveling and the small size of a hobby drone, I doubt the pilot was correct in identifying the item. It could have also been a bird.

For small props to maintain lift at that altitude, in thinner air (1542m, just short of 1 mile upwards), this would need to be a fair sized drone. Multi rotors, (more than 4), and probably around a minimum of 1.2m diameter. To even see this from ground level would require binoculars by a hobbyist. And to identify such an item based on its very thin profile, would not be so easily done from a cockpit, at an approach/landing speed of 165knots (300km/p.h.).

The idiots could be the govt, police, military, or other and not a Jo Public. It could be pilot error, and it could all be a hoax to bolster laws against flying, owning and operating a private drone.

I also notice there is no description mentioned of size, shape, duration of visual on the said item, direction of travel or the weather conditions at the time of sighting. Many facts are missing which is convenient to raise speculative theories.

Guru

In reply to #18

03/20/2016 1:11 PM

I wholeheartedly DISAGREE with everything you say here.

Guru

In reply to #19

03/20/2016 1:36 PM

That is your God given right to do so. No facts offered, abundant speculation...Yep, you have that right.

Guru

In reply to #20

03/20/2016 3:10 PM

Realistically, looking out the front window of a cockpit is much different than looking out of a side passenger window.

At approach, there should be NOTHING in the pilot's field of view except the runway.

Any pilot who is flying the A 380 very probably has over 10,000 hours, and many more landings in their log book. They know what birds look like.

Fair sized drones are not easily confused with birds, at any altitude.

To suggest that that rotors would have to be, "a minimum of 1.2m diameter" is complete rubbish.

These drones have cameras. The pilot does not rely solely on visual contact, but flies with the screen of the camera. Military drones in the middle east are controlled from hundreds/thousands of miles away.

I doubt that the govt, police, military would endanger public safety on a whim.

To suggest either pilot error, or that it could all be a hoax is irresponsible on your part. You are suggesting that a pilot deliberately lie!

"I also notice there is no description mentioned of size, shape, duration of visual on the said item, direction of travel or the weather conditions at the time of sighting. Many facts are missing which is convenient to raise speculative theories."

This information and more will all be in the report the pilot files with the FAA.

If you want facts, get the FAA report.

If you just want to be a jerk, keep doing what you are doing.

Guru

In reply to #22

03/20/2016 3:18 PM

LOL!!

GA from me!!!

In reply to #22

03/20/2016 8:39 PM

Yes, my apology, the statement was referring to the size of the complete drone of 1.2m diameter. (A multi rotor RCA with 1.2m blades would be huge and could fly at 15000ft). A single rotor of 1.2m would be what we call, an aeroplane, 4 rotors of 1.2m would be a small passenger aeroplane or a Hercules C130, perhaps!

I did not think I had to explain too much as you are "expert" and should be able to use common sense. But, I agree I inadvertently mislead on my assumption. FW.

Also take note. Pilots do not always report sightings of objects, and I don't wish to hear the facts from the FAA. However, maybe you should have them, and make an informed contribution here, rather than basing your answers on some sketchy misleading information.

• The heading is clear: Is this possible? NO! Not on the BS 'facts' promoted here.
  • Is this possible? Present all the facts, and data and any witness reports and considered expert opinion. Test the theory in a controlled environment and draw an informed conclusion, FW.
  • Fact, it is possible to achieve that height with a RCA?
  • Yes, it is possible to achieve that height and higher altitudes on hobby type RCA.
  • Have you or the article presented any facts?
  • NO! None at all.
  • Is it likely to be true?
  • It has possibilities.
  • Did the article state anywhere that the pilot saw the drone in front of him, to one side, above, below him?
  • No.
  • 50/50. Probably more scare mongering.
  • So do I have an opinion just as you do?
  • Yes I I dont require your permission to have one.
  • Glad to have rattled your cage Lyn. Clearly you have not considered any facts nor flew these RCA.
  • If it was a small quad-copter as is the rage, the pilot would not even notice it at 165knots, (and that is the approximate landing speed of an A380).
  • If it was a large RCA, in carbon fibre black or brushed Ali, or painted, he might catch a glimpse of something at 200m away from his cockpit window.
  • He may have seen something, but could he be 100% sure? Is it possible?
  • Was there any mention of the drone description in the article?
  • It is possible he saw something?
  • It is possible and possibly not, and possibly misidentified, misreported and misunderstood and misread.
  • Rattle rattle rattle. You can only be adamant on your findings if you have solid proof and guess what, you have zilch. It is all pure conjecture and assumption so far. Is it Possible????
Guru

In reply to #24

03/20/2016 11:00 PM

You know if this was possible, somebody would post a video of their copter flying above some clouds.

Nah that probably wouldn't convince you. Your mind is already convinced this cannot be done.

In reply to #28

03/20/2016 11:30 PM

In reply to #29

03/21/2016 6:20 AM

NO THANKS!!!

There are enough here already!!!

But a Great video! Thanks.....

In reply to #28

03/21/2016 12:47 AM

Great video, thanks.

My guess is he was simply out of range at 1000 meters.....

In reply to #22

03/20/2016 10:32 PM

The pilot has a great view....

This is the smaller A320, but you get the idea....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3115068/Mesmerising-time-lapse-video-filmed-cockpit-shows-s-actually-like-fly-passenger-jet.html

A380 in the drivers seat...

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #18

03/21/2016 12:03 AM

Here is a link that is from an engineering perspective...I think its from the related incident...http://www.theengineer.co.uk/danger-drone-assessing-the-uav-threat-to-civilian-aircraft/?cmpid=tenews_2087518

Guru

In reply to #30

03/21/2016 12:59 AM

It seems that a signal beacon that warned operators that they were flying in a restricted zone and will be subject to arrest , might have an effect...sort of a if you can see this signal you are too close type of thing....

In reply to #32

03/21/2016 1:22 AM

Can you say "Blinded by the Light"?

Guru

In reply to #33

03/21/2016 1:46 AM

Blightered....?

1.2 mil a pop...that's a lot of fines

http://www.gizmag.com/anti-uav-defense-system-radio-beam-drones/39778/

Maybe we could have China make cheap copies....

Re: Is This Possible?

03/21/2016 4:57 AM

http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/20/a-drone-nearly-hit-a-lufthansa-jumbo-jet-in-la-this-week/

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2016/0319/Drone-comes-within-200-feet-of-airliner-near-Los-Angeles-International-Airport

http://fortune.com/2016/03/19/drone-nearly-hits-passenger-jet/

https://news.google.com.ng/news/more?ncl=dQv4V83bQhjKnbM&authuser=0&ned=en_ng

NOTE from the article and clearly stated: No info about drone and do note, the common mistake carried through each article on the copy paste by each article reporter.

However, there is much info about the FAA being upset, there is no reply from Lufthansa or mention of a reply in any single article reported on the 17-19 March 2016. No official response from Lufthansa published?

Not odd to anyone? Not even mentioned by the German publishers of the article. How odd! Not even a mention of Captain ??? of flight 456 from Germany. Hmmm!

Reuters reports that Friday afternoon's scary scene occurred when Lufthansa Flight 456 was passed by a drone with about 200 feet separating them.

If it was passing a landing A380 that was travelling at 160 knots, the drone going faster than the A380 and that was a pretty big drone

The next article is 200 ft above them.

Are there any facts, is there any evidence? Guess Not! Hype, conjecture and too many assumptions Lyn for anyone to state a clear answer, you know what happens with assumptions. Does it smack of lobbying? Oh yes? Is it possible?

Guru

Good Answers: 80

03/21/2016 10:21 AM

I know you've been around so you know this is possible. Maybe not "from the manufacturer" possible but most definitely within the realm of idiot in the garage possible. I do not think there are that many "drones" available to civilians that can achieve that altitude and be controllable in original configuration. ( I maybe totally incorrect in which case that is a whole different issue)

So I would have to assume it was a runaway.

Good Answers: 5

03/22/2016 4:52 AM

Given that the number of birds exceed the number of drones by a large number (number of birds = billions: number of drones >million) is the danger of drone strikes over egged?

For the media drones are sexy. For the CAA and other arms of government public use of drones is confronting and they seek to control what they can control. Birds only take so much notice of the authorities.

Guru

In reply to #48

03/22/2016 7:10 AM

Given that the number of birds exceed the number of drones by a large number (number of birds = billions: number of drones >million) is the danger of drone strikes over egged?

No its not, because drone strikes or close calls are avoidable, where bird strike are not so much.

In reply to #49

03/22/2016 9:10 AM

I think drone (and also laser ) owners would change if they had to pilot an aircraft in for a safe landing (on a multiple times per day basis), while having lasers shined in their cockpits, and while desperately searching the sky in front of them for errant drones, or intentional ones. Perhaps the punishment for offenses should be to put these persons in a small aircraft, in a special area in the desert, with another field to land at a few miles away, rugged terrain such that they could only land at the other field, and make them "run the gauntlet". Native Americans used to use this form of punishment on offenders to tribal law, I do not see why this could not work for other civilized people. But there again, we are not as civilized as those people we used to call "savages", because we simply did not relate to or attempt to understand their culture.

In reply to #50

03/22/2016 9:43 AM

I think drone (and also laser ) owners would change if they had to pilot an aircraft in for a safe landing (on a....

I disagree, the people that do this, are normal adults. They may be adults, but since they are not mentally mature or even have the capacity of cause and effect.

Thinking that they can hide in obscurity, they can get away with it.

Heavy fines and/or penalties should rein them in.

In reply to #51

03/22/2016 11:39 AM

Of course I would not waste the value of a plane on one of those losers who think they can break the law with impunity. Lining them up against a wall and shooting them for "attempted murder" of innocent passengers and the pilots would be a much more fitting, and cost effective punishment. Running the gauntlet of angry passengers armed with pastry rolling pins, and the pilots at the end of the line with choice of taser (to the testicles or other sensitive area of the nether region) or 0.38 slug to the brain would be another viable option.

In reply to #54

03/22/2016 11:51 AM

when I said normal adults.... I actually meant normally adults.

In reply to #50

03/22/2016 10:13 AM

"Civilized" is a self pat on the back to prove we are better than others in our own minds.

In reply to #52

03/22/2016 11:36 AM

NO. Civilized means we have a code of laws are willing to live and die by them. I have heard enough of the "if it feels good do it" thinking to last a lifetime.

In reply to #53

03/22/2016 11:49 AM

Civilized means we have a code of laws are willing to live and die by them.

So what happened in Brussels recently dictates radical Islam is civilized? They feel they are, at least by their standards.

Guru

In reply to #55

03/22/2016 12:02 PM

You are apparently willing to stand the argument on its head. They are in fact lawless by any code, and cowards by the definition who attack innocent men, women, and children through only a distorted version of their "religion", and in fact are not civilized, but are totally barbarian, totally without morals, totally bankrupt in authority, and totally worthless as contributors to human culture. I do not attack Islamic, Christian, or Jewish faith. I do attack distortions of these faiths.

In reply to #57

03/22/2016 12:25 PM

Yes I am, And that would go to all in this organization.

In reply to #57

03/22/2016 2:11 PM

GA

I liked the post.

Sadly, its only a tiny percentage of certain religions, even the people in the USA who are KKK members are basically the same....as are the IRA in Ireland....to name a few.....

In reply to #63

03/22/2016 2:16 PM

Sadly, its only a tiny percentage of certain religions,

Currently yes, otherwise it depends on which part of history you select. It seems most religions are guilty of the purges.

In reply to #64

03/22/2016 3:04 PM

Very true.....

In reply to #63

03/22/2016 2:20 PM

Thanks Andy! I felt I had to stand somewhere, even if against the wall with my back on it!

In reply to #65

03/22/2016 2:41 PM

History repeats itself.

I believe that the majority of people on this earth are basically good.

Just like drone flyers, if doesn't take many to make some of us lump them all together.

Guru

In reply to #66

03/22/2016 2:45 PM

Well, flying a recreational drone in an approved area and in an approved manner is one thing, not a problem. Flying a drone into a passenger airliner intentionally, or even a private flight is completely another. While flying, especially on approach, there is plenty to pay attention to without "hacked" drones flying above where they belong, and in airspace they don't belong, much less laser pointers, etc.

IF the airliners had counter measures, including active fire, I would approve.

In reply to #67

03/22/2016 4:20 PM

Or how about a simple broad band transmission that basically blankets all of the used frequencies in a 1000 ft radius around the plane frying the controller and sending the craft, what ever it is, spiraling to the ground where the authorities can pick it up and at least have a chance of tracing it back to the owner. Seems doable in the immediate future.

In reply to #73

03/23/2016 5:34 AM

Someone clever enough, would simply start using the same frequencies as the planes (which would have to be left completely free of course!), as digital data can be so well "made up" that at least one of the many "copies" sent will still get through within a few milliseconds.

That's why it is easy nowadays to have many RC planes flying at the same time, some using the same frequencies, as each data packet is "addressed" to one particular receiver, that it is "paired" with.....

I would be most surprised if your idea could be made to work without causing the passenger planes communication problems.....

I would personally hope that some sort of high intensity radio/radar beam, really tightly focussed, could be used to overload the sensitive input circuit of the receiver......obviously in short bursts and obviously when no planes are in the line of the beam.

Maybe a modification to the Radar already in use at airports, though the reflection from such a device will be very low level....?

Even powerful laser beams have been demonstrated in tests that they can bring down targets by overheating, that it too may be a possibility.....

See here:-

Laser 1, Quadcopter 0!!

laser+shoot+down+model+aircraft

Another possibility, is that maybe the control transmissions could be analysed by a computer and the Drone (for want of a better name!) be "taken over" using a more powerful signal, causing it simply to crash.....just a thought!!

I am personally against any "blanket" transmissions of any kind, as we have already got a lot of "muck" in the ether nowadays..........we simply don't need any more!!!

Sorry to have to throw water on your ideas, maybe I am wrong, who knows?

In reply to #75

03/23/2016 8:15 AM

As brilliant an idea as this should not go overlooked!

As you stated:

1) monitor local control traffic in the "drone" spectrum, and siphon off the IP address (or analog to that)

2) saturate all receivers (and XMTR's) in that band with a "drop dead" signal. We have no care about whatever "value" such a drone has, it needs to go away.

3) recover the drone, identify the owner, and castrate them with a dull butter knife.

4) draw and quarter all the protestors.

5) guillotine anyone after that who declares the treatment to be barbaric.

Of course, everything after 3) is completely optional (meant as a form of sick humor), and even the last part of 3) is negotiable. The castration could be carried out with a large rubber band, liquid nitrogen, a large pair of boards spring loaded to close on the area of interest, or the subject could be enticed to attempt a nude high jump over a pointy fence.

In reply to #76

03/23/2016 12:37 PM

What if you got the gender wrong?

In reply to #77

03/23/2016 1:34 PM

I guess there would have to be some other torture method for those. Perhaps listening to Slim Whitman music for 48 hours, I don't know. They still can be drawn and quartered after that if the don't 'fess up. There is also the iron maiden, and the tension rack.

In reply to #76

03/23/2016 12:49 PM

I think you may have gone a bit overboard on that one, Equating the cost of an A380 and passengers with a personal drone will never, pardon the expression, fly.

But entertaining none the less.

As for whiny liberals, they are a good part of the reason we have a Donald Trump. Sad but true. (no, I am not a supporter)

In reply to #79

03/23/2016 1:37 PM

I don't recall equating any drone worth or cost to an Airbus A380. There really is no comparison, and way more than that in human life to be protected and served.

That light I am seeing must in fact be the pilot light as you mention in your caption.

In reply to #76

03/23/2016 1:50 PM

LOL!!!

In reply to #75

03/23/2016 12:46 PM

Ideas are like seeds. :-)

Often needing watering, tending, weeding, pruning, fertilizing in order to bear fruit.

In reply to #65

03/22/2016 3:07 PM

I support anyone who stands on their own two feet and says something useful. You did just that!!

Also, I NEVER hold grudges, not in real life or on the web. Thats something that a lot of other here need to learn (and not only here!!).

I can have an argument with someone on one day and compliment them the next.....its no big deal.....I feel!!

In reply to #65

03/22/2016 3:20 PM

At least you have a wall to lean on.... some don't even have that....

In reply to #70

03/22/2016 3:26 PM

...and maybe a soap box to stand on????

In reply to #53

03/22/2016 12:05 PM

And as Phoenix pointed out, ISIS has code of law and are most definitely willing to live and die by them. Germany was very civilized in the 1930's and 40's, at least by the laws of the fatherland and the norms of their society. So was the Soviet Union, and Japan, and the Untied States and its allies.

Which reinforces my point which is the term civilized is a value judgment. It is often made by the victor after a conflict as a way to excuse their behavior and as I said make themselves feel better about the atrocities committed in the process of winning. "Their atrocities were worse than ours so we are the civilized ones."

So perhaps "civilized" is not the correct descriptor.

In reply to #58

03/22/2016 12:27 PM

Yes that term's definition changes with a change in a matter of perspective.

Can't think of the word that describes that though.

In reply to #60

03/22/2016 12:44 PM

In my practice, people would often ask me if this or that was "normal". I would respond that in my house normal is between whites and permanent press. :-P

In reply to #61

03/22/2016 1:08 PM

No.... that's not the word I'm looking for.... its something else.

In reply to #60

03/22/2016 3:32 PM

Relative/relativity, maybe. Or situational. Or context-dependent.

03/24/2016 11:40 AM

I had no idea these things could go a mile up I thought they also went out of control range in a couple of 100 feet

I think they hot rodded this puppy

Guru

In reply to #96

03/24/2016 11:56 AM

It is sooo nice to be back on topic and thank you for that. I believe you are correct that something has been amped up. Maybe they removed that factory power pack, and installed a wad of batteries from some steam punk vape inhalers.

In reply to #97

03/24/2016 12:50 PM
Reply to Forum Thread Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (2); Andy Germany (10); Anonymous Poster (2); Brave Sir Robin (1); Casper71 (2); cristle (1); daffy (2); Ed Watts (1); Fredski (3); IQ (4); James Stewart (18); Kilowatt0 (2); lyn (6); machia0705 (1); ozzb (1); phoenix911 (17); PWSlack (1); rashavarek (7); redfred (5); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (9); Tornado (6)

Previous in Forum: What Is It?   Next in Forum: 4 REDNEK

Advertisement