Previous in Forum: This "Flexible Sheet Camera" Can Wrap Around Curved Surfaces   Next in Forum: Remote Trail Camera
Close
Close
Close
27 comments
Guru
United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer

Good Answers: 59

Dinosaurs Declining Before Asteroid Hit

04/20/2016 1:51 PM

One theory about the death of the dinosaurs is that they were wiped out by an asteroid about 66 million years ago. But a study suggests the dino population started declining 50 million years BEFORE the asteroid hit.

One possibility for the decline is an inability to cope with the way the environment was changing. The climate cooled and sea levels shifted, and the dinosaurs may have been subjected to new evolutionary pressures.

BBC: Dinosaurs 'in decline' 50 million years before asteroid strike

Here's another article I found that goes into more lengthy explanations: The Long Decline of the Dinosaurs.

Why do you think the dinosaurs went extinct?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: dinosaurs
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

Re: Dinosaurs Declining Before Asteroid Hit

04/20/2016 2:11 PM

Global cooling...?

Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

04/20/2016 3:04 PM

Climate Science tells us there has to be a correlation. So clearly, the decreasing dinosaur population triggered the asteroid impact.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1035
In reply to #2

04/20/2016 3:40 PM

And global warming might bring them back!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1728
In reply to #3

04/20/2016 4:24 PM

GMO chickens....

We already have a bunch of prehistoric creatures down here in Florida....

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266
In reply to #4

04/21/2016 8:05 AM

We know we read your posts every day.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

04/20/2016 4:26 PM

See the Gary Larson cartoon--they were smoking.

Guru

Good Answers: 1662

04/20/2016 5:39 PM

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #6

04/20/2016 5:47 PM

Them and the unicorns both.

--The Irish Rovers

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #7

04/20/2016 6:53 PM

Great band - very entertaining!

In reply to #10

04/20/2016 7:09 PM

Saw them live in Yakima, maybe mid 1970s, and they did put on a good show.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

In reply to #11

04/21/2016 2:27 AM

I only saw them on youtube after getting in touch with my Irish musical roots, along with other bands like the Dubliners and others. I started playing traditional Irish folk songs with a band at a bar called the Dubliner in Wilmington, NC.

The way I happened onto the Irish Rovers is through a search for the SONG "The Irish Rover":

• On the Fourth of July 1806 we set sail from the sweet cove of Cork
  • We were sailing away with a cargo of bricks for the grand City Hall in New York
  • 'twas a wonderful craft, she was rigged fore and aft and oh, how the wild wind drove her
  • She stood several blasts, she had twenty-seven masts and they called her the Irish Rover

Guinness all around!

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #10

04/21/2016 8:21 AM

Timing was totally wrong for me and my friends. We were at that teen stage where anything perceived to be for the older generation was just not cool man. We would try to hide when our parents punched that number in on a restaurant juke box. I appreciate their music now.

In reply to #6

04/20/2016 6:29 PM

My favorite Gary Larson...

"An instant later, both Professor Waxman and his time machine are obliterated, leaving the cold-blooded / warm-blooded dinosaur debate still unresolved."

Gary Larson S, Cartoon Idee├źn, Comics Gary, Far Side Cartoons, Funny Cartoons, Dino Humor, Fall Side, Side Animals

the far side cartoons in color - Google Search

By far my most favorite Far Side cartoon

The Far Side- animals

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #8

04/20/2016 6:32 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 81

04/20/2016 7:11 PM

An increase in population of a dominant creature, leading too a slow destruction of their environment? A pattern repeated a number of times. Something maybe to think about in today's world?

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #12

04/21/2016 2:29 AM

We're in the sixth extinction. Don't you watch the x-files?

Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 81
In reply to #16

04/21/2016 4:18 AM

No, but I have caught a glimpse of it, as I have recorded it for the son-in-law. must be good?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

04/21/2016 11:57 PM

If you like sci-fi/mystery/cop shows, yeah, it is good!

04/20/2016 7:12 PM

Canceled. C/P didn't appear to work.

In reply to #13

04/20/2016 7:44 PM

I find sometimes Chrome doesn't work for pictures and I switch to IE.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

04/21/2016 3:26 AM

<..Why....the dinosaurs went extinct?...>

Were they were forced out by peer pressure from other, evolutionarily-more-successful, CR4 readers?

:-P

04/21/2016 8:26 AM

Yes - the environment of earth has been shifting around for all of history, so why the big concern now? We may be helping it along a bit, but a change is going to happen with human input or not. If time travel ever comes to be, are we going back in time and trying to modify climate change so all the past species that have become extinct can survive?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #21

04/21/2016 12:34 PM

"Yes - the environment of earth has been shifting around for all of history, so why the big concern now?"

Why now? Because now it's OUR hairless primate butts(1) on the line, not some overgrown lizards(2). Extinction is all well and good, circle of life and all that, but not when it looks like WE'RE the ones on the list to become "the extinct species known as..."

Notes:

1. If you dislike being called a primate, I apologize, but that is the correct branch for humans as a species. If your butt is NOT hairless, PLEASE do NOT tell me, I don't wanna know. That's why we all wear pants, so we don't have to SEE each other's butts all the time.
  2. Reptiles, I know. I deliberately misspoke to point out how worrying about and fighting Climate Change is essentially a very selfish motive. "We're not saving the planet, barring a major nuclear exchange, we cannot do anything that would destroy this giant ball of rock. We're saving it's ability to keep US alive and happy!"
( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

04/21/2016 1:57 PM

Humans are the most adaptive species among advanced life form, to ever be threatened. Our outcome should not be the same as the dinosaurs. Basically, we are not threatened but rather challenged. The predicted changes so far are easily over come, if we exclude engineering, by moving a bit. Go a bit into the next century and we might have to add some creative engineering, which we excel at, and the changes are simply, as I stated, challenges. Might also have to overcome some radical purists and re-engineer some plants or animal DNA eventually. Oh no -GMO.

Then when Yellowstone finally goes boom, we will have the opposite problem to over come.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #23

04/21/2016 2:15 PM

"The predicted changes so far are easily over come, if we exclude engineering, by moving a bit."

How far do we move, and do we move everyone, or do we leave the poor to cluster in their huddled masses because they cannot afford to move themselves? Or do we just move the One percenters, the Once-lers, and leave everyone else in the wasteland like the Lorax in his field of stumps that used to be the forest he tried to protect?

"Then when Yellowstone finally goes boom, we will have the opposite problem to over come."

How did that bit from the old Futurama show go again?

Fry: I thought the planet was going to be made uninhabitable by Global Warming.

Lela: Oh it was. Thank God Nuclear Winter canceled it out.

---

It's sad when people equate their religion to mean climate change denial, or treat Climate Change Denial AS their religion:

"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." - Carl Sagan, Keynote address at CSICOP conference (1987), as quoted in Do Science and the Bible Conflict? (2003) by Judson Poling, p. 30 (Via Wikiquote)

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

04/21/2016 2:36 PM

I never said climate change wasn't real - just not an Armageddon as the fanatics want us to believe. We can handle it. Might be tough on some - might make a billion $ for a few others. The poor can move as well as the rich - they have a whole lot less to move. The big issue is a proven psychological tendency by humans to not believe a coming danger will affect them. They choose to believe it will befall others. It won't happen here, they say, as the waters close around them.

Now the Yellowstone thing - there is a definite chance of that erupting someday - you are as foolish as the climate change nay sayers if you don't believe that. That has as much scientific evidence as the climate change does, yet people tend to disbelieve that as well. I think that will be closer to Armageddon than climate change, as that will be very rapid climate change. A lot tougher to adapt to if you aren't taken in the initial blast.

In reply to #25

04/21/2016 3:24 PM

I never said the danger of the Yellowstone Caldera/Basin/Supervolcano wasn't real, just point out the strange logic you seemed to be using, looking to one disaster to counteract another.

And Climate Change isn't an Armageddon as in 'we have to fix things now of the planet goes poof in 2020,' what we are concerned about is how far can we push it with anthropocentric activities (and burning fossil fuels is DEFINITALY anthropocentric, I don't know of any oil drilling elephants of coal-mining canaries (they may be down there, but not as miners)) before we reach the point where we cannot 'swing things back.' We're already losing polar ice, and the more polar ice we lose, the less sunlight it can reflect back into space. Shrinking ice caps are a symptom AND a contributor to Climate Change. The big push is because we're not sure how close we are to the 'point of no return,' and the longer we wait, the longer politicians hem and haw, the longer we subsidise fossil fuel use and 'punish' renewable power, the closer we get to the point where it'll be too late.

I've looked at the data, and the reports, and I've changed my mind several times from "This is real?" to "this may not be real, we need to look at other factors," to "Crap, this *IS* real, why can't the politicians see it?" to "This is real, and the politicians, mainly Republicans, are obfuscating the issues fighting this will cut into the profits of their Corporate masters." We may have decades before it's too late, or we may only have a few years, but sitting on our butts saying 'It's not a problem,' is only going to cut down the time we'll have left when we DO act.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 27 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (3); jdretired (2); lyn (2); Mikerho (4); ozzb (1); Phys (4); PWSlack (1); Rixter (3); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (4); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: This "Flexible Sheet Camera" Can Wrap Around Curved Surfaces   Next in Forum: Remote Trail Camera

Advertisement