Previous in Forum: Allam Cycle with High Tower for Water Condensing   Next in Forum: Calculating Safe Wall Thickness of a Vacuum Tube
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Associate

Bore & Stroke Values

06/05/2016 7:48 AM

Dears,

i am not a mechanical engineer, but am curious to find out the impact on performance of different bore and stroke values, i.e.

engine 1 (Caterpillar): Bore 170 mm, Stroke 190 mm, V-12

engine 2 (Cummins): Bore 158.8 mm, Stroke 158.8 mm, V-16

both the engines are of generator having same generating power i.e. 1250 KVA @ 460V, 60 Hz.

which of the engine will be more powerful or reliable? regarding fuel consumption, which of them will consume less fuel?

what are the advantages of one over the other?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 779

Re: Bore & Stroke values

06/05/2016 8:26 AM

See each mfr's respective fuel consumption data.

See how often each fuel delivery system needs to be examined and adjusted.

Good Answers: 1661

06/05/2016 10:39 AM

Contact the manufacturers and ask them.

Or use the internet for something other than asking others to look it up for you.

I have done the initial search for you, now it's up to you.

Diesel Engines | Cummins

Cat | Power Systems | Caterpillar

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

In reply to #2

06/07/2016 2:42 AM

i have these documents with me, if you check i have mention bore and stroke sizes taken from these websites, what i am asking is basic theory behind this.

irrespective of manufacturing i requested for basic theory.

cummins consume 300 ltr per megawatt

catterpillar consume 260 liter per megawatt

thanks

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1699
In reply to #16

06/07/2016 5:27 AM

These are only estimates...1000kw generator will use as an average 269 liters per hour of diesel fuel, fully loaded....any reduction below full load will result in less fuel usage...actual fuel usage will depend on temperature, humidity, altitude, and other factors....The type of electrical load you have will determine efficiency as well...

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #16

06/07/2016 10:14 AM

Go with the Cat one, less fuel, same power output, probably less rpm to wear out more slowly. Neither one is reliable if no maintenance program in place.

Re: Bore & Stroke Values

06/05/2016 11:38 AM

The more powerful will have the highest torque rating....the most reliable one will be the one best maintained....Generally speaking, for similar displacement engines, the one with the larger bore and shortest stroke will produce the most torque and have lower RPM and more narrow torque range, the more narrow bore with longer stroke will have higher speed with broader torque band over higher RPM range...These 2 engines having similar total displacement and power will probably be close in fuel usage...

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #3

06/06/2016 2:09 PM

It has been 2-1/2 decades since I built my own engines for drag racing using pre-assembled component kits for stroke - you only had to have the bore changed to match the pistons. I probably forget more than I learned, but I think I remember an adage that a "square" engine was never to be built, (same bore as stroke) which the OP has. Of course, that was for developing top end speed more so than low end torque, which is the opposite of what is needed here.

In reply to #11

06/06/2016 3:21 PM

"The Ford 5.4L Modular Engine features a cylinder bore of 90.2mm (3.552 in) and a stroke of 105.8mm (4.165 in), (undersquare) which makes a bore/stroke ratio of 0.852:1. Since the stroke is significantly longer than the bore, the SOHC 16V (2-valve per cylinder) version of this engine is able to generate a peak torque of 350 lb·ft as low as 2500rpm."

"Nissan's SR16VE engine found in Nissan Pulsar VZ-R and VZ-R N1 is an oversquare engine with 86 mm bore and 68.7 mm stroke, giving it an impressive 175-200 hp but relatively small torque of 119 lb.ft-134 lb.ft

Extreme oversquare engines are found in Formula One racing cars, where strict rules limit displacement, thereby necessitating that power be achieved through high engine speeds. Stroke ratios approaching 2.5:1 are allowed, enabling engine speeds of 18,000 RPM while remaining reliable for multiple races.[4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_ratio

In reply to #11

06/06/2016 3:54 PM
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #14

06/06/2016 4:03 PM

Another Urban legend dies.

In reply to #3

06/06/2016 3:33 PM

...or vice versa...

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 403

06/05/2016 11:45 AM

A seemingly simple enough question, but the answer is not... Here's a few things to consider;

Displacement is a start, does it have a turbo? Efficiency, such as number of valves, engine back pressure;

- Increased pumping work

- Reduced intake manifold boost pressure

- Cylinder scavenging and combustion effects

- Turbocharger problems

ratio (beyond the engine and through out the drive train.

06/05/2016 12:01 PM

Your question is like " Which do you think is heavier 1 kg cotton or 1 kg nails?"--you already stated the answer.
The shorter the stroke the higher rpm to maintain power. Wear and tear is a function and directly proportional to engine speed.
The numerous the cylinder, the more expensive it is talking about the initial cost of investment, also maintenance cost, consequently.
As to what extent the difference is, I don't know. It's wise to see further documentation of test from the maker.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1012

06/05/2016 4:37 PM

Assuming the same cylinder pressure, the torque should be proportional to stroke x bore squared x number of cylinders. Power is proportional to torque x rpm.

A longer stroke means the cyclic motion of the piston is greater and the stress on the rod bearings is proportional to stroke x rpm, so shorter stroke engines can run faster with the same amount of stress.

Of course, more cylinders means more initial cost and more maintenance cost, as others have pointed out. There are a lot of trade offs.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

06/05/2016 7:07 PM

I'd rather be stroked than bored, but that's just me.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 7

06/06/2016 3:15 AM

In general large bore and short stroke would be used for high revving engines and small bore with long stroke for lower revving engines. One factor is piston speed.

For engines designed for fixed RPM such as generators there is a considerable range bore/stroke combinations that will be satisfactory.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 811

06/06/2016 3:30 AM

This is the sort of question that can only be arrived at by practical experience.

As the two installations would appear to be at the same facility, why not let the forum know the answer in 10 to 15 years' time?

In reply to #9

06/07/2016 3:01 AM

they are not in same facility,

we provide rental power with cummins,

caterpillar is our competator....

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #17

06/09/2016 3:14 AM

Ok, this changes the perspective as you seem to be stuck with Cummins. One need to probably look at it from the client's point of view.

If I'm the client, looking at rental is very different from purchasing. Life-cycle cost is easier to determine, as usually all maintenance and failures are for the service provider's account. As such the client may not care too much re. V12 vs V16, but brand names may still play a role. As the client, I would look at reliability figures, fuel consumption, electrical performance (handling of surges, change-over mechanisms, protection, etc.) and planned maintenance downtime as issues, obviously combined with price. Depending on the application, other factors could also influence the decision: speed of repairs, spares availability (agent network), proximity of your mechanics and electricians to respond to call-outs, speed of providing replacement in case of failure, physical size, noise, CO2, fuel quality "tolerance", start-up time if used in a standby configuration vs permanent power supply, performance at altitude or temperature extremes, etc.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 52

06/06/2016 1:46 PM

I am also not a mechanical engineer, but it's obvious to me which engine is better.

Advantage number 1: Go with Cummins over Caterpillar. Caterpillars are slow moving bugs. Why would you choose that over a Cummins?

Advantage number 2: A V-12 engine has 12 pistons, while a V-16 has 16. Here in the US, we're taught that "more is better", so Cummins wins on this one also.

Advantage number 3: Bore 170 is a lot of bore - a very boring engine. 158.8 is a smaller bore, thus a less boring engine. This subject is boring enough, so why not choose a less boring engine? Cummins wins a third time.

Advantage number 4: Here in the US, the term "Stroke Me" is used by kids and adults all the time - I won't go into details of what it means, but if you don't know, just think about why this works for men and not women. So having a bigger Stroke means more energy is needed to Stroke someone. More energy required = more fuel used = less fuel efficient. So for the 4th time, Cummins wins again.

I think this is enough information for you to choose a Cummins over a Caterpillar.

Good Answers: 1661

06/07/2016 9:15 AM

<Beam me up Scotty>

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #19

06/09/2016 2:37 PM

Live long and prosper \_/.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Autobroker (1); gideon (1); James Stewart (2); lyn (2); Mr. small (1); mrmuneb (2); NeilA (1); phoenix911 (1); Phys (2); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (5); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Allam Cycle with High Tower for Water Condensing   Next in Forum: Calculating Safe Wall Thickness of a Vacuum Tube

Advertisement