Previous in Forum: Siezed collet removal   Next in Forum: Using Modified Virus Cells to Kill Cancer
Close
Close
Close
37 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 249

Reality is an illusion

06/03/2022 7:47 AM

Check out this thought provoking article about reality and information:

It left me scratching my head.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/physics-is-pointing-inexorably-to-mind/

Comments are welcome.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

Re: reality is an illusion

06/03/2022 8:16 AM

If reality is an illusion, then we are all having the same illusion. Reality on the quantum level doesn't make sense because we reason by analogy, and quantum objects behave differently than anything we identify with from experience.

The things we measure indicate that "reality" was the same millions or billions of years ago when light left far away galaxies, long before there were people to have illusions. Excited atoms still gave off the same spectra.

I think we can only see part of the picture, which is why it doesn't make sense. Most scientists have given up trying to see the big picture and just use mathematics to describe how it behaves.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #1

06/03/2022 10:08 PM

I always considered math to be the universal language.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409
In reply to #6

06/03/2022 10:12 PM

It is… my calculus professor said, it is a unitversal language, he does not grade on a bell curve because Math, it’s either you know or you don’t.

but who knows, with the educational system changing the way it is,… they’ll change it to, if you get it close, you pass,

In reply to #7

06/03/2022 10:28 PM

About the only thing math can't explain is the human brain.

(resisting all urges to post the graphic comparing brains of the sexes.)

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #9

06/03/2022 11:25 PM

That may be a frugal search…

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #10

06/04/2022 9:28 PM

frugal ≠ futile.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936
In reply to #16

06/05/2022 8:31 AM

Yes. It is futile to be frugal these days.

In reply to #6

06/05/2022 9:28 AM

That's what math is, a language to describe "reality". IMHO, it seems that some folks confuse math (computer simulations) with the reality that it describes.

Does it make any sense to say we could live in a simulation? I don't think so. I've written software simulations, and the more work you put into it, the more realistic it can become. But it is still the computer crunching numbers and not the reality that it simulates.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #1

06/03/2022 10:25 PM

I don't think we all experience the same illusion. In the easiest to understand example of what I'm trying to present you should consider a recording of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer performing Fanfare for the Common Man for Aaron Copland. (They did this in Paris during a sound check rehearsal with the aging composer in the empty arena.) The musicians nervously perceived all of the differences from what they wanted to play for the master as Aaron Copeland enjoyed hearing how they "rocked out" his masterpiece. Meanwhile, the sound engineer assessed the sound quality and levels of the sound reinforcement system. The very same incident (illusion) was experienced differently by these individuals.

In reply to #8

06/03/2022 11:29 PM

Good point, I think illusion can be based on lack of experience…

an example… sci-fi movies such as The first movie of Star Wars,.l. I don’t think there was a person that wasn’t impressed… you watch it again, say 20 years later, and you can almost disseminate it on how it was made… and wondered how you missed it the first time…

In reply to #8

06/04/2022 8:59 PM

I'm thinking there's a difference between "Reality is an illusion" and different individuals having a different experience of an incident.

You only see detail where you are looking and the ears somehow tune into one conversation in a noisy room. The narrow bandwidth of the senses adds a trickle of data to that already stored and the brain fills in the big picture. A lot of what you see and hear is what you expect to see and hear. So you would expect different individuals to have varying experiences.

I think "Reality is an illusion" is implying that "consciousness" somehow creates reality. In quantum physics, it seems that what you see depends on how you measure it so, in essence, you are creating reality by your decision on how to set up an experiment.

An example is the "delayed choice quantum eraser experiment".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed-choice_quantum_eraser

An interferometer consisting of 2 mirrors and 2 beamsplitters can be set up with or without the second beamsplitter. In the top configuration without the second beamsplitter, a single photon will be detected on either the red path or blue path, not both.

In the bottom configuration, the second beamsplitter is present and it can be positioned so that cancellation and reinforcement occur, indicating that the photon took both paths.

The interesting thing is that the second beamsplitter can be electrically removed or inserted after the photon has passed the first beamsplitter and either taken one path or both. You still get the same behavior of interference or no interference.

It appears that the experimenter can control whether the photon has taken one or two paths (in the past) by the control of the second beam splitter.

Something weird is going on, but I doubt it is "Reality is an illusion".

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

06/04/2022 9:12 PM

IMHO:

Reality is all in your mind.It is the sum of all you perceive,in any form.

Reality is also unique for each individual.

Start with a totally blank mind and see how far that gets you.

In reply to #14

06/05/2022 9:43 AM

The proffered title itself, "Reality is an illusion", omits the critical point of the cited article. Reality is an illusion for whom?

What seems to be "weird" is the reoccurring discovery that the rules that work so well in our interactive realm routinely fail when dimensions get really tiny or really large.

Good Answers: 31

06/03/2022 12:28 PM

From the article: "To some physicists matter is an abstraction and only the mathematical apparatus is truly real." Maybe those physicists have been reading the bible: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the word was God." (John 1:1)

"Word" is a translation of the Greek 'logos' (that is: logic/reasoning/mathematics). It would seem that matter is contingent upon mathematics, but mathematics is non-contingent (as per St. John, and the referenced modern physicists). That which is non-contingent is foundational. If mathematics is non-contingent and matter is, then mathematics and not matter, is foundational.

Anonymous Poster #1

06/03/2022 1:26 PM

...albeit a very powerful one.

--A.E. [?]

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1725

Re: Reality is an illusion

06/03/2022 1:59 PM

Your eyes and brain work together automatically to make sense of things, mostly in the context of patterns, if it didn't, nothing would make sense...

...""You might not realize it, but your brain is a code-cracking machine.

For emaxlpe, it deson’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod aepapr, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm.

S1M1L4RLY, Y0UR M1ND 15 R34D1NG 7H15 4U70M471C4LLY W17H0U7 3V3N 7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17."...

https://www.livescience.com/18392-reading-jumbled-words.html

06/03/2022 10:05 PM

06/04/2022 5:08 AM

Everyone sees the world differently to some extent.For instance,the gown that looked two different colors to people,even though it was the same,it was perceived differently.Or the woman with more color receptors in her eyes that could see millions of colors more than average.We may agree that red is red,but we may not actually be seeing the same color in our brain.

How does a blind person perceive the world?Or deaf? Or deaf and blind?

Their reality is different from others.Reality is a personal experience.It cannot be otherwise.I don't think we will ever understand the brain.As someone once said:"If the brain were simple enough for us to understand it,we would be too simple to understand it."

A man who was blind from birth was given sight by a new procedure.He could not adapt to the new reality.When he looked down on cars from a tall building,he tried touch them,like toys.The sighted world confused him and he requested that the procedure be undone.

The same thing might apply if our brain was connected to another person's reality.

Our reality is the sum of all of our life experiences.

A.E. said the "Reality is merely an illusion,albeit a very persistent one".

If you drill down far enough into matter,you find atoms,electrons,etc.

Atoms are more space than solid.There is nothing really solid,there are only energy fields..

A hammer striking a nail is giving the illusion of solid,but it is really energy fields.

E=MC2. Energy and matter are the same thing.

So if solid matter is an illusion,what does that say about everything else in our version of reality?

Good Answers: 1725
In reply to #12

06/04/2022 6:59 AM

That everybody lives in their own private Idaho....

Genomic encore...

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

06/06/2022 9:17 AM

06/06/2022 9:19 PM

And for some people, reality is whatever is on their cellphone because they sure as hell are not paying attention to anything else.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

06/07/2022 6:41 PM

Find the One person in this photo, who lives life to the fullest.

In reply to #24

06/07/2022 7:03 PM

She looks rather content and stress-free . . .

I watched too many of my kids' performances through a view finder.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

06/07/2022 8:10 PM

Ya,… me too…

In reply to #25

06/08/2022 9:03 AM

I spent too much time at work,and not enough at home.

As a man grows older he regrets more the things he didn't do than the things he did.(paraphrase Mark Twain)

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation... H D Thoreaua.

In reply to #29

06/30/2022 12:23 PM

From my youth, there was one thing I wanted to avoid later in life. And that is saying, ‘I should have…’ and I pretty much lived up to that… with that being said, I do say… ‘I shouldn’t have’ but saying those words were a lot few than ‘I should have…’

And I’m better off for it.

06/07/2022 10:17 AM

Kick a big rock. If your foot hurts, reality is not an illusion.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: 3rd rock from the sun,a small dust mote,in a small insignificant spiral galaxy referred to locally as the Milky Way
Good Answers: 3
In reply to #22

06/07/2022 4:03 PM

Buddhists monks can endure extreme cold without losing body temperature simply by mind over matter.This has been verified scientifically.No explanation given because it seems to violate reality.

People under hypnosis have been burned by an ice cube when told it was a hot coal,even forming a blister.

Go figure.

Good Answers: 4

06/07/2022 11:38 PM

I don't believe that matter, either dead or alive, uses math or information during it's existence. I believe that reality is the result of structure. And structure eliminates randomness and probability.

I think the structure of an electron is very precise and very firm. Like our universe. If you want to experience a real-time illusion, look at the stars.

In reply to #27

06/08/2022 8:44 AM

Everything is a time shifted illusion.The light reflected off of all objects is traveling at C,so even at close range,there is some delay.Then there is the delay of processing the info by your brain.Audio is delayed even more.Therefore,I conclude that everyone's reality is subjective,when examined in the finest detail.

Light travels faster than sound,and I have seen this proven when I thought a woman was beautiful until she opened her mouth.

In reply to #28

06/08/2022 9:15 AM

On average,a person blinks about 15 to 20 times a minute,averaging 1/10 to 1/25 of a second each blink.This amounts to about 10% of the time you are awake.

That is between 5.2 and 7.1 million times a year.

If an event happened while your eyes were closed during blinking,synchronized with your blink interval,you would never see it.

Ever wonder about that,or is it just me?

Good Answers: 31
In reply to #30

06/08/2022 2:44 PM

Similarly, when filming something at 24 frames per second, if something where to occur between frames, the camera, and the viewer of the film wouldn't see it. This was Mohammad Ali's explanation for his 'phantom punch' that knocked out Sonny Liston.

Good Answers: 86

06/08/2022 12:59 PM

I knew it! You 're all in my illusion. S.M.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

06/10/2022 3:21 AM

In order to understand the universe, one needs a brain that compares current occurrences with patterns of previous ones. That involves some processing time. Therefore reality is a projection of the universe onto the inside of the cranium. Therefore reality is in the mind.

In reply to #33

06/10/2022 2:53 PM

Sometimes I think my ego is big enough to handle reality. Then the bourbon wears off and I remember my limitations.

Good Answers: 287
In reply to #34

06/11/2022 4:22 AM

Reality is an illusion brought on by alcohol deficiency.

In reply to #35

06/12/2022 1:55 PM

If reality is real,then the illusion of reality is an illusion..and if the illusion is an

illusion,then the illusion of the illusion being an illusion is in itself an illusion..and if...

I'm getting out of the pool..it is too deep and someone left a Baby Ruth in the water....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Brave Sir Robin (4); canadianslidewinder (2); Haymaker (1); HiTekRedNek (6); hitekrednek2 (1); phoenix911 (6); PWSlack (2); Randall (1); redfred (5); Rixter (4); SimpleMind (1); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Siezed collet removal   Next in Forum: Using Modified Virus Cells to Kill Cancer

Advertisement