Previous in Forum: Eco-Friendly / Non-Toxic Durable Casting Urethane   Next in Forum: CR4 lost & Find Section
Close
Close
Close
40 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 32

Good Answers

02/04/2009 10:00 PM

Hi All,

I recently received a "GA" for an answer in a thread and was pleased but surprised. I realized that I had no idea who had given the "GA". Who do I thank?

I think that when a "GA" is given the issuer should have the option of giving his or her name ( and, if they choose, a reason ). Perhaps a box to check to remain anonymous could also be offered?

I never expected to get a "GA", I mean NEVER, so I wanted to thank whoever was responsible. I imagine others may feel the same?

What do you think??

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 58

Re: GA

02/04/2009 10:41 PM

not so smart

I agree. I lean towards the thought that the issuer should always be identified.

Many of the contributors that I respect on this forum do identify themselves when they have given GAs.

I suppose anonymity could be an option, but I can not imagine why anyone would wish not to be identified as the "issuer".

The giving of "off topic" may be a little more sensitive in this regard (unless self inflicted).

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #1

02/04/2009 11:05 PM

Personally, I like getting GAs - especially when the reason is given. This gives me some indication of how I am "coming across"; if my post "makes sense", especially if it comes from a trusted or proven source as evidenced by seeing their involvement in other discussions.

Often, I cannot judge my output in an objective way. Obtaining feedback is a way of becoming more objective (at least to me).

To me, the main reason that I want the issuer to identify themself is to thank them, but the main reason for wanting to know the reasoning behind the GA is to learn.

If being smart is the increasing realization that the more we learn, the more we don't know, then I would say that you are not "not-so-smart"!

Sorry "the Prof" I meant to post this as a reply to the original post. However, I agree with your assessment.

Mike

Good Answers: 1662

02/04/2009 11:00 PM

The issuer of a GA always has the option of announcing his identity and rational in a post.

Not that I'm opposed to other options, if they are optional.

Is that too many options????????????????

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 165

02/04/2009 11:18 PM

Not me, my motto is the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle.

Often as I read through the threads I will see someone has given a good concise answer; so I will give them a GA and move on to the next thread.

A GA is a pat on the back for the recipient, but it also lets the OP know to listen to the advice given by that person.

IMHO: Don't get caught up in the GA race too much. We have lost some good people who got disappointed and left this forum, when some Yahoo went through and erased their GA's with an "Off Topic" vote.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #4

02/06/2009 5:56 AM

Perhaps it would be satisfying to post the split; i.e.: 4 GA/ 3 OT.

@ least we'd all know that a post had 'struck a nerve'...

Location: Globaly - very close to the southern most point of Canada
Good Answers: 12
In reply to #4

02/06/2009 8:41 AM

Often as I read through the threads I will see someone has given a good concise answer; so I will give them a GA and move on to the next thread.

Your point of a "concise" GA brings up something I've noticed lately. It seems long answers are better than short ones. When I noticed a GA given to a four paragraph post that simply repeated the concise post before it I started to look for this. And it is true. The more BLAH BLAH BLAH you put in a post the greater the chance you will get a GA.

I read something a while ago that suggested that an argument can be won simply on the amount a person speaks. If you keep talking you win the argument even if your wrong. It seems the same here.

There may be the impression, also, that a long winded post implies the poster knows what they are talking (posting) about. They may just be a politician or a salesman blowing smoke. And the GA justifies them which sends the OP off with poor information. The GA should be given carefully.

Also, giving a good answer for a topic that is not even technical or informative. Like when posters rant about some topic and they all give each other GA for agreeing with themselves. Seems rather silly......

....do I have enough words here to get a GA????

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #20

02/06/2009 9:09 AM

NO!!

In reply to #21

02/06/2009 9:19 AM

Now that's a concise answer!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #22

02/06/2009 10:48 AM

Concise maybe, but neither of us earned a GA either!!

The next time I answer "No" to somebody, it will take 4 paragraphs and a Wikipedia link and reference as well!!!!!

United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #23

02/06/2009 10:54 PM
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #23

02/07/2009 1:24 AM

Don't forget youtube!

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31
In reply to #23

02/12/2009 12:52 PM

Love it Andy! GA from me

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #20

02/06/2009 11:40 PM

Yes - GA to you.

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #20

02/07/2009 9:02 PM

The saying is the more explanation needed less knowledgeable of the subject.

And there is no simple answer to a simple question though clear concise and accurate are the goal.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #20

02/10/2009 9:51 AM

You speak words that are near and dear to my heart. If an answer is good, then it fully answers the OP's question in a manner that is useful to the OP - preferably in as few words as possible (see signature). If more detail is needed, then the OP can always ask for it.

(Just so you know, no GA for this post from me just because I agree with you. Your answer while interesting and relevant to the discussion does not answer the OP's question.)

In reply to #35

02/10/2009 4:16 PM

no GA - that's ok, I was just being sarcastic.

Good Answers: 19

02/05/2009 12:29 AM

He promoted you to change your avtar from "not so samart" to "smart"

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #5

02/05/2009 9:21 AM

Thanks ducon, but I like the name as it is. It keeps me from getting a swelled head.

BTW: if you follow most of my answers are of the smart a## variety. I'm really not in this for the "GA"'s, just for the education ( and the fun ) of it. But I'll take what I get.

Maybe eventually I'll switch to a different name but..... probably not. Although my signature and picture are subject to change without warning.

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 62

02/05/2009 7:42 AM

I frequently tag an answer with a GA sans explanation.

What explanation - it was a good answer?

Hey that was a really good answer - so I give to you a GA?

All seems rather redundant, but if you like I'll try to be more informative

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

In reply to #6

02/05/2009 9:01 AM

Heyyyy... Good Answer!

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 62
In reply to #7

02/05/2009 4:56 PM

Bwahahahah!

A bit of silly always welcome

In reply to #9

02/05/2009 6:22 PM

Yer right! What's life without humour.

Mike

Hobbies - Car Customizing - Dances with Trees Canada - Member - because I can Hobbies - CNC - too much fun Hobbies - Target Shooting - paper shreader

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #10

02/05/2009 9:33 PM

There you go I just gave you a GA.

Why because live without humor is just another government job.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38

Re: Good Answers

02/05/2009 11:03 PM

If i give a GA i never say that i did, i don't need a pat on the back.

And i cannot let my enemies know that i sometimes agree with them

02/05/2009 11:44 PM

I wonder what a "good answer" is really worth since apparently anyone can award a "GA", thus there appears to be no applicable standard measure. Sort of like the value of a US dollar that is not pegged to a fixed commodity but can be printed faster as the government desires (or digitally expanded in today's electronic banking system).

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 70

02/06/2009 12:19 AM

It seems to me that whatever server and software is running this show must 'know' the source of any "GA" or "Off Topic" vote at the moment it is received (assuming that you have logged on to vote). If everybody likes the idea it shouldn't be too hard to work out the technical details.

A lot of people leave messages amplifying on their GA votes in Off Topic comments. When I have time I like to do it, but if at least the 'names' were recorded somewhere (except for users who might want to opt out) that could help.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25

02/06/2009 6:42 AM

Sorry your Icon does not show any 'Good Answers' recd. by you.

In reply to #16

02/06/2009 7:08 AM

& then again, i used to have more ga, until i tried to have a rational discussion w/ a "perpetual motion, @ the molecular level" type.

02/06/2009 8:27 AM

Good idea. I always say as I feel that this is part of the deal, who I am and why I give a GA, sometimes I give a GA but part of their answer was bad or wrong, I want them also to know with regard to which part I gave the GA..

I have to admit that for "Off Topic" I remain Anonymous......

Power-User

02/06/2009 8:40 AM

Why is it so important? Does a GA satisfy ones ego? I joined CR4 to help others and to get help on subjects that I am not familiar with weathr I get a GA or not makes no difference to Me. My opinion.

Oilcan13

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 15

02/06/2009 1:30 PM

Surely the GA should only be given by someone qualified / experienced to give it. If this were the case (which it isn't) then the OP and those reading the post to widen their knowledge would have more confidence in the answer

Chas

In reply to #24

02/07/2009 6:38 AM

Nice idea, but how would we qualify ourselves for any particular answer or GA????

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #29

02/07/2009 4:23 PM

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately it is unpoliceable. It requires the posters to state what they know to be true or make it clear they are expressing an opinion but that requires integrity and consistency on the part of the posters.

The B.S. merchants don't have integrity by their very nature.

Unfortunately I feel the majority of the posters (I would probably be equally guilty) will forget the "rules" and not give the reference as to their ability to answer with authority.

Chas

In reply to #30

02/10/2009 10:21 AM

Actually it is policeable - it is the responsibility of everone who visits CR4 to police these threads. People who know that an answer is rubbish can use an OT to dull polished feces. This is why an OT vote nulls a GA vote.

I conclude that there must be more people in here with good sense than without because the quantity of rubbish getting high marks is relatively low considering that there really is nothing in place to stop meaningless answers from being posted. I'm sure that some philosopher somewhere would say that this has something to do with human nature. (That philosopher would probably be right about half of the time.)

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #37

02/10/2009 10:38 AM

There are many topics that are started in here that are controversial and subjected to what people's personal feelings are and why they feel that way. Many times there is evidence to support both sides of the issue.

Most of us are middle age and older and have a broad range of experiences to draw from other then getting a Googled answer. Respect their experiences because it is important and something to learn from.

Most of us here have advanced educations and know the value of critical thinking. We don't have to take what someone says at their face value, it is within our power to look deeper into the subject to get a more educated answer but you can give that person a GA because his answer did provoke you into looking deeper.

A million GA's a and 99 cents will get you a cup of coffee at McDonald's so "Why We Worry?"

Good Answers: 35

02/06/2009 4:02 PM

It's nice to receive a good answer vote when make a post. It's nice to know that someone agrees with you or is complimenting you for taking the time to share some well thought out information.

Sometimes the GA vote is given out like candy, there was a thread similar to this one where people were just giving the GA points away.

After about a year of posting you become familiar with people and their posting styles. You usually know just by who it is if their answer is going to be a good answer or not. Like Andy Germany, I can count on his information being good information. In my experience his posts are always informative and he always answers with the good integrity.

Those that post as "Guest" are cheating yourselves because any good vote you get doesn't reflect anywhere. Many times it looks like someone is talking to themselves because you have Guest responding to Guest. It's confusing as to who said what. I've had occasion to respond to a "Guest" who was asking for information on machinery that my company specializes in without ever getting some kind of response because they don't get an email notification of any responses on their post and don't know where to find their post again.

I will give a GA vote and not say anything because what would I be doing that for? To me it is just fishing to get a GA vote in return so what's the point? When I do say something it will include why I gave the GA for to reinforce a certain portion of what another person has stated.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

02/08/2009 10:47 PM

Maybe we also need a BA? (Bad Answer)

In reply to #32

02/09/2009 5:55 AM

as in: 'on topic, but, false'?

In reply to #33

02/09/2009 8:10 PM

For people who give really bad advice (but it would propably be abused, you didn't give me an GA so i give you a BA)

02/10/2009 10:02 AM

The way I understand it, a GA is really intended for people who are browsing a thread - not as a statistical "gold star" to make us feel good about ourselves. Links to GA's allow browsers to quickly move to the "most correct" answers given in a post and move on without reading the entire discussion. I sometimes see answers that get GA's when they are plainly only intended to be funny and are not at all aimed at accurately answering the question. To me this cheapens the process (kind of like a real election).

I, for one, prefer to vote anonymously. If I give someone a GA, but wish to add a little input (like historical background or personal experience) then I write a post. Otherwise I let the approval stand with a simple affirmative vote. There is no need to pat people on the head in this forum. The people who visit this site regularly are professionals, not Boy Scouts chasing merit badges.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

3Doug (1); Andy Germany (4); Anonymous Poster (1); bwire (1); capblanc (2); Dances with Trees (1); ducon (1); edignan (2); EElectrician (3); Epke (3); gdevine (3); Janissaries (2); johnfotl (1); Kilowatt0 (1); lyn (1); Mikerho (3); Mr. Truman Brain (1); not so smart (1); oilcan13 (1); sidevalveguru (3); suresh sharma (1); svengali (1); The Prof (2)

Previous in Forum: Eco-Friendly / Non-Toxic Durable Casting Urethane   Next in Forum: CR4 lost & Find Section
You might be interested in: Thread Gages, Thread Rolling Machines

Advertisement