Previous in Forum: Acetone as a Fuel Additive?   Next in Forum: Looking for 1992 Audi 100 S4 Tech Info
Close
Close
Close
50 comments
Commentator

Electric eel powered car?

05/08/2009 2:55 PM

Would it be possible to build an R/C electric car powered by an electric eel? If I filled my pool with electric eels and agitated them, would it produce enough electricity to power my house? Is there any way to store the electricity produced for a more stable, longer lasting source of power? How many eels would I need? THANKS!

"Electric eels work like a battery and can discharge from 350 to 650 volts of electricity. The head acts as the positive pole and the tail is the negative pole of the battery. When it is moving it can emit electric impulses up to 25 per second. A 20-foot eel can produce enough electrical current to light 12 household light bulbs. Electric eels are mainly found in the Amazons. These guys can be dangerous and would not make a good pet."

Electric eel Christmas tree

Obnoxious song about agitated electric eels

"Everybody's nuts." - Sigmund Freud

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 81

Re: Electric eel powered car?

05/08/2009 5:50 PM

What is it with people? You would think that on an engineering forum, you wouldn't get questions like these. The Huffington Post, maybe.

Whatever the eels emit, the energy comes from the food they eat. The eels are no more efficient transducers of energy than any other life form, therefore the energy equivalent of what you have to feed them will be way in excess of the electrical energy they emit.

Not to mention the energy associated with keeping their pool clean enough for them to thrive.

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question. Unless this query came from an elementary school student, my faith in that adage is shaken today.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99
In reply to #1

05/08/2009 6:13 PM

Hey now, don't be so negative, I can feed my pet Unicorn an apple every couple years and he runs on a treadmill year round which powers my house, and my greenhouse, where I grow the apple trees.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #2

05/08/2009 8:48 PM

I totally agree. I just got done telling Rt89 in a private e-mail that there were no stupid questions (as another of our esteemed colleges has said), only stupid answers. I asked this same question when I was a young fellow, but that was way before I could even use a slide rule, never mind a TI 55 IIa. So: Rt89, next time you are moved to answer your own question, you will deprive the rest of us a chance to pound on you, get silly, and maybe cause someone to do the research.

Now you know what a stupid answer is.

In reply to #3

05/09/2009 11:33 AM

The person who many years ago asked, "Would it be possible to send someone to the moon" might have been accused of asking a stupid question.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #1

05/09/2009 11:26 AM

There are no stupid questions; only inquiring minds.

I still can't sign in.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #1

05/09/2009 10:38 PM

Amen!

05/08/2009 10:06 PM

Well, I've got a degree in Math and I was a computer programmer for over 20 years (IBM assembler language), so I'm not stupid. My questions were intended to be entertaining or just something interesting to think about, but obviously that's not allowed here. So, believe me, it will never happen again...

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing -

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #4

05/09/2009 1:00 AM

I agree with you; the post was interesting enough for me to check out the thread... I know more about eels than before. Some folks seem a little... uptight.

Running a car, r/c or otherwise, may not be practical, but what would it take to charge a battery bank? How many amps do they put out?

Guru
Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 51
In reply to #4

05/09/2009 1:13 AM

The problem is, the question was stated in such as way that the reader thinks you are asking a serious question.

If you meant it as a joke or the start of a funny discussion, you should have written something that would tell us that this is all for fun. Since there was nothing, you cannot fault other people for calling you what they did.

If they had assumed that you were making a joke and it turns out that you were serious, we'd still be hurting you.

The burden of understanding lies not with the listener but with the speaker.

regards,

Vulcan

In reply to #6

05/09/2009 10:43 PM

I agree. I thought it was a serious question. Who knows, maybe those critters would be the power source of the future. Warp Drive maybe??

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #4

05/09/2009 8:47 AM

I for one will not accept your denial of throwing out humor and levity.

We all need this in our Profession.

The Electric Eel Tag was the most interesting one this morning as I drank my coffee.

Provoke more thought and we all have grandbabies, maybe this is a way to interest them in our Profession.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - Radiation Oncology Engineering Hobbies - Fishing - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #13

05/09/2009 10:13 AM

I agree totally. If everything in the world is serious let me out...

My question is how would you "regulate" the eel and how would you connect ti to the electrical system?

In reply to #16

05/09/2009 10:18 AM

And not to forget the taxation and carbon cap & trade program.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #4

05/09/2009 10:57 PM

I rather enjoyed the question and had no problem understanding the slant of it. Keep it up. Kind of a humorus picture, a swimming pool full of electric eels in every back yard...

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Technical Fields - Education - Hobbies - Hunting - Popular Science - Weaponology -

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #4

05/12/2009 9:13 AM

I took it as humorous and have been laughing out loud at the question and the answers for a while now...I appreciated the humor! Humor is definitely allowed...just get ready for those who have no sense of humor...If you keep up the silliness it will really drive them crazy!

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

05/09/2009 3:35 AM

I am attempting to design a circuit using the eels but to proceed I must know if the are positive or negative earthed.

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #7

05/09/2009 3:57 AM

The head is positive; the tail is negative.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Technical Fields - Education - Hobbies - Hunting - Popular Science - Weaponology -

In reply to #7

05/12/2009 9:15 AM

Do you think you can solder some leads to them?

05/09/2009 4:14 AM

route89,

Well I would have to say that this was a lot (ok, a bit more) more interesting than some of the "my 94 Chevy won't start" type questions that seem to be around this forum. Well, if ones 94 Chevy (or whatever make one chooses) fails to start then either bring it to the scrap yard or to a mechanic and stop wasting (in)valuable space on a server somewhere.

Regards

Mr. W.A Snow

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

05/09/2009 9:01 AM

Is that not the truth.

I always like to think out of the box and it has been a fun journey through life and work.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 19

05/09/2009 4:15 AM

Although this article has a humorous tone, it mentions current research on the physiology and chemistry of the electric cells of the electric eel, to explore the possibility of creating special human electric tissue for the support of implanted medical devices.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

05/09/2009 8:54 AM

Thanks for the link.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - Radiation Oncology Engineering Hobbies - Fishing - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

In reply to #10

05/09/2009 10:19 AM

That is a great story. It just goes to show that many answers to many questions are present in nature today. All we have to do is open our eyes to see it and then open our minds in order to fugure out how the discovery can be used, modified or adapted.

Guru

Good Answers: 32

05/09/2009 7:48 AM

Please don't stop asking "off the wall" questions. Those are the ones that make us think harder. They certainly are acceptable here, otherwise I would never ask anything! I just don't take the serious engineer guys comments seriously. I just keep in mind that those guys are just jealous that they were born without the capacity to imagine things outside of the norm.

Sometimes we need a grounding question to force us to look at reality from a different angle. As I have said in the past, I am not an engineer ( I know absolutely nothing about driving a train ) but I can think in more than one direction.

I think your question does have merit and should have been given a little more respect.

That being said.....ARE YOU NUTS???? It's ok, so am I. It's good to have another out of the ordinary thinker here. Welcome and please take off your shoes before you jump into the pool.

Location: The only place where hell can really freeze over.....Michigan
Good Answers: 3

05/09/2009 8:01 AM

its the off the wall questions that make us go hmmmmmmmm and knock our boxes over so we have to get out of them......it is then that the next great idea comes about!

Register to Reply
Commentator

05/09/2009 2:13 PM

Joke or no joke, there is certainly nothing to be gained by insults and ridicule. If you don't like someone's question, click on the back button and keep your comments to yourself. I live right on the Illinois River in Ottawa, IL, and I could easily create a huge containment tank by running 2 chain link fences across the river. I could then fill this section of the river with millions of electric eels, and maintenance costs would be zero. I'll never do this because of safety issues, but theoretically I could then use the eels to charge the battery in my EV-1 and drive for free forever with zero emissions. Crazy? Absolutely - but maybe not so much. Is it crazier than crushing all the EV-1's, and then coming out with the Chevy Volt ten years later?

EV-1

Who Killed the Electric Car?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 81
In reply to #21

05/10/2009 1:53 AM

"Joke or no joke, there is certainly nothing to be gained by insults and ridicule." No argument there. My post (#1) was making the point that using eels to create electricity was ridiculously inefficient. The only scenario under which that might be remotely practical is the Gilligan's Island/Robinson Crusoe scenario. You are marooned far from civilization; you have no way to generate electricity you need to power some device that can save you, but there are all these nasty eels in the nearby lagoon. "Hmmm," says the Professor.

But powering your R/C car, or your home... surely you jest. And of course, you claim to have been jesting. But it wasn't obvious. Either to me, or several others.

As to the EV-1 and the Chevy Volt. I don't know the particulars, but in a free market, the consumer drives production via demand. If the EV-1 didn't make it, it's because people didn't want it. The Chevy Volt won't make it either, unless gas prices go back up, or the anti-capitalist forces driving the US economy from Washington DC mandate it, or if there is a sudden breakthrough in battery technology vastly increasing energy storage density without increasing the hazard of driving the thing.

A whole lot of people responded on this thread, and it was largely in response to my (#1) post. A few people agreed with my synopsis of the quality of the question; most took umbrage, but it is noteworthy and praiseworthy that not one took issue with the technical content.

That is, no one except possibly route89 thinks that eels are somehow a source of free or cheap energy.

I have taken the liberty of quoting from other objections to my post #1 and answering them below. I didn't answer all the objections, just the ones I thought merited attention. In turn:

guest: "The person who many years ago asked, "Would it be possible to send someone to the moon" might have been accused of asking a stupid question."

emc_c: That statement is true enough taken literally, word for word, but the implication of the statement is absolutely false and misleading. The premise of that statement is that technology is no different than physics. When Jules Verne wrote "From the Earth to the Moon and Around It," in 1865, there was no technological solution to the problem. Firing a projectile out of a cannon would have required an acceleration that would have reduced the occupants to jelly. But there was no physical, science-based reason that you couldn't get there. Whereas while you might indeed harness eels to produce electricity, if you work hard enough at it, there is no point to it, except again in the "marooned on a desert island" scenario. Because conservation of energy says that the energy output of the eel is much less than the energy input. And conservation of energy is not technology; it is fundamental science, and you aren't going to discover a way around that wool-gathering about eels, or other "alternative energy" sources.

route89: "Well, I've got a degree in Math and I was a computer programmer for over 20 years (IBM assembler language), so I'm not stupid. My questions were intended to be entertaining or just something interesting to think about, but obviously that's not allowed here. So, believe me, it will never happen again..."

emc_c: I don't control this forum; there is little that is not allowed besides fraud and abuse and way off-topic posts. But if you post questions or comments that violate or appear to violate common sense, expect a vigorous response.

w.a. snow: "Well I would have to say that this was a lot (ok, a bit more) more interesting than some of the "my 94 Chevy won't start" type questions that seem to be around this forum. Well, if one's 94 Chevy (or whatever make one chooses) fails to start then either bring it to the scrap yard or to a mechanic and stop wasting (in)valuable space on a server somewhere."

emc_c: Once again, Mr. Snow disappoints me. But that's okay, in general he is a very good poster, and the forum is the better for his contributions. I believe Mr. Snow is getting on up there in years, as I am myself. When we were kids, and a car didn't start, the answer was simple: you either didn't have spark, or fuel. And the system that gave you the spark was simplicity itself, and susceptible to inspection by casual observation, and getting fuel to the carburetor wasn't magic either. That carburetor was a bit of magic, but again it wasn't hard to tell if you were getting fuel into it. But today everything is much more complex, and even reading OBD codes takes knowledge beyond simply replacing the part the code says is suspect. I would say that while it isn't precisely engineering to troubleshoot a modern "car won't start" problem, it is a durn sight closer than woolgathering about harnessing electric eels to an electricity storage system.

not so smart: "Please don't stop asking "off the wall" questions. Those are the ones that make us think harder. They certainly are acceptable here, otherwise I would never ask anything! I just don't take the serious engineer guys comments seriously. I just keep in mind that those guys are just jealous that they were born without the capacity to imagine things outside of the norm.

Sometimes we need a grounding question to force us to look at reality from a different angle. As I have said in the past, I am not an engineer ( I know absolutely nothing about driving a train ) but I can think in more than one direction.

I think your question does have merit and should have been given a little more respect."

emc_c: Imagination is a necessary part of the invention process. But imagination unfettered by reality checks is woolgathering. I can imagine pouring water into a glass of ice, and the ice sitting there at the bottom of the glass. I can imagine the sun rising in the west and setting in the east. I can imagine inventing a time machine and going back and not making all the mistakes I made the first time around. This sort of imagination may be entertaining, but it isn't useful in a practical sense.

End of detailed responses.

The basic idea here is simply this: this is an engineering forum. The original question was perfectly reasonable for a student to ask a teacher in primary or secondary school, but it was not deserving serious treatment on an engineering forum. Obviously there are many here who thought it deserving, and responded in kind, but an engineering forum implies engineers as posters. I would suggest that if you are going to ask questions like this and want to avoid an intemperate reply, you might wish to preface your post with a disclaimer that you are non-technical and are asking a technical question; that way you have announced to everyone that you seek information, as opposed to implying that you are announcing a grand new idea.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Commentator

In reply to #26

05/10/2009 2:50 PM

OK, forget the eels, and let's forget the animosity, too. I'm not here to make enemies or commit fraud, I'm here because you guys are smart and I think a lot about weird ideas. I appreciate the time and effort put into your comments and appologize for any inconvenience I might have caused...

Antigravity Physics Explained

Iz

Me - scroll down

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #26

05/11/2009 6:03 AM

emc_c,

"They say there is no such thing as a stupid question. Unless this query came from an elementary school student, my faith in that adage is shaken today". - That sounds a lot like an insult/ridicule to me.

You then compound the issue by trying to justify your comments.

"I don't control this forum" - AMEN to that, otherwise we could change the website name for the forum to "MyCarWon'tStart.com" or "NoNewIdeasAllowed.com".

Oh, bye the way, my lawnmower won't start - any ideas on what might be wrong? (FYI I am being sarcastic, I thought I should point this out to you since you clearly have an issue in interpreting the posts)

Regards

Mr. W.A Snow

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 410
In reply to #28

05/16/2009 10:44 AM

Oh, bye the way, my lawnmower won't start - any ideas on what might be wrong?

did you check to make sure your eel is fully charge.......

(FYI I am being sarcastic,

me too....

In reply to #48

05/19/2009 2:39 AM

phoenix911,

Yes eels fully charged and the Hydrogen fuel cells that I just fitted are working perfectly anyone that says these things do not work must be crazy .

I am happy that you pointed out you were being sarcastic otherwise I would never have guessed .

Regards

Mr W.A Snow

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Associate

In reply to #26

05/15/2009 11:21 PM

Again, I say Amen...to the above.

Good Answers: 93

05/09/2009 6:23 PM

how does it work?

Does the pet store have an eel section battery power from the tank section?

The song is obnoxious.

Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member

05/11/2009 9:41 AM

What is the efficiency of electric eel's output energy anyway? With all of todays genetic mapping and genetic engineering I would think there would be a way of improving efficiency, breeding eels with a higher voltage/amperage, or isolating and recreating the cells independently. I think that this could be a viable alternative with a little development.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #29

05/11/2009 12:41 PM

"breeding eels with a higher voltage/amperage"

Maybe we could clone some eel genes into ourselves. Then we could run a wire out of our arse......

In reply to #34

05/11/2009 4:15 PM

The researchers at Yale University, and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) are studying the cells of these unusual fish in an effort to create an artificial cell that replicate the electrical behavior of the electric eel cell.

They hope that by using modern science and engineering, to build upon an artificial eel cell strong enough to power medical implants.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Canada - Member - BC Born, Alberta Raised, Quebec (poutine) crazed... Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - An airplane is just a bunch of beams... Hobbies - Model Rocketry - Had fun as a kid...fun stuff Hobbies - CNC - dreaming of cutting Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - PID ME!

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #36

05/12/2009 9:44 AM

That's pretty cool...er...shocking!
A built in defibrillator!

Location: Globaly - very close to the southern most point of Canada
Good Answers: 12
In reply to #29

05/11/2009 2:51 PM

There is a real point. There is another post "Say goodbye to batteries" that deals with the harvesting of very low amp sources of energy for portable devices. And this is a source.

With genetic engineering you could some day end up buying a pet dog that has a charge like an eel to power all of the many (and mostly useless) electronic devices people carry these days. All of the latest "Plug-in Pooch" peripherals will be the big rage for kids.

There has been so many crazy tech things going on these days that anything is possible. Even if it doesn't make sense.

Canada - Member - BC Born, Alberta Raised, Quebec (poutine) crazed... Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - An airplane is just a bunch of beams... Hobbies - Model Rocketry - Had fun as a kid...fun stuff Hobbies - CNC - dreaming of cutting Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - PID ME!

05/11/2009 9:56 AM

the tank seems a bit much for the living room...can I just hang them on the tree? Are they compatible with through hole or surface mount LED lights?

As for that song...I don't think I wanted to make something stop that badly since my wife gave birth to our daughter with no meds...

United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99
In reply to #30

05/11/2009 11:54 AM

I tend to gravitate to posts such as these, just for the humor aspect. I can look at engineering problems all day, but every once in a while a fun one like this comes around. Its great to see people get all puffed up over stuff...

And I believe It's: There are no stupid questions, but there are many inquisitive idiots. (myself included).

In reply to #32

05/11/2009 12:17 PM

ditto

Doesn't help with the post:GA ration though....

05/11/2009 11:49 AM

Hm-m-m-m?

My conclusion after reading the posts in this thread is that there is ONE stupid question:

"How could you ask a question like that!?"

Register to Reply
Power-User
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

05/13/2009 10:44 AM

This thread needs only 1 person to help in the answer......

Sparkstation - does any one know what happened to this member? I really enjoyed his posts & input....wished us a good New Year - then he was gone....

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #40

05/13/2009 10:53 AM

I don't know what happened to Sparky. I have noticed that several members seem to have disappeared. What happened to Netmaker? I'm sure hoping they didn't get fed up and leave the forum. It's guys like these that keep it a good place to converse.

In reply to #40

05/13/2009 12:24 PM

Due to the timing of his disappearance - I suspect it was a New Years Resolution to not "waste" any more time on CR4/the computer - maybe his significant other was complaining that the honeydew (honey-do) list was getting too large.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

05/13/2009 8:07 PM

well maybe you could tie a kite to a R/C car when there a thunder storm brewing.

Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

05/13/2009 10:24 PM

Hey, don't knock electric eels (actually a species of knife-fish) as a power source !!!! For one thing, dumping one on your teenage son after exhausting all other methods to drag him out of bed and to school IS GUARANTEED to jump start his morning !!!!

In reply to #44

05/14/2009 10:50 AM

As crazy as the eel thing is, the real science is that they are trying to take just the cells that the eel uses to produce electricity and grow them in a lab, like the spider cells they implanted into a goat:

Spider web goat

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #45

05/15/2009 9:44 AM

proteins and chemical reations

11/13/2009 10:50 AM

Check out this video of an electric eel powering a christmas tree in japan. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6471199287935705259#docid=1796149778151131460

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 50 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (6); argh1984 (1); Blacksmith (3); Bricktop (1); bubbapebi (2); CUTiger (1); DAG (3); danman285 (1); DVader1000 (1); emc_c (2); gdevine (1); Hendrik (1); HoleInTheSnow (3); kkjensen (3); lighthasmass (1); not so smart (1); phoenix911 (3); qaqcpipeman (4); rlindey (2); route89 (5); RVZ717 (2); Tippycanoe (1); Transcendian (1); Vulcan (1)

Previous in Forum: Acetone as a Fuel Additive?   Next in Forum: Looking for 1992 Audi 100 S4 Tech Info

Advertisement