Previous in Forum: Equalization Pressure of Two Air Receivers   Next in Forum: Pump Auditing
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Anonymous Poster

Lifting Hooks

02/09/2010 12:44 PM

Hi,

I am designing a hook for a lifting mechanism. It has to lift about 40 tons of weight.

With a rough estimation, the hook is about 16" tall, 14" wide and 5" thick.

What kind of material is best suitable for this application? What kind of heat treatment precess can be used so that the hook will not be too brittle?

Besides, forge or cast? which way is better?

Thanks and regards,

Teng

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409

Re: Lifting Hooks

02/09/2010 3:04 PM

does it have to be a hook.

I wrote an excel program for lifting lugs on equipment, but have also used that when I design an overhead portable crane. I used ASME formulas.

p911

In reply to #1

02/09/2010 4:33 PM

Would you please send me your formula?

chinpunt@shaw.ca

Thanks

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

02/09/2010 4:50 PM

sure.....but you really should not post your email here. next time sent a message though CR4

For a disclaimer. I do not know if all of this is the latest.

All what this program does is to help assist, it is still up to you to verify.

good luck

Power-User
Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 28

02/09/2010 3:47 PM

Although casting has more flexibility with regard to design, forging would be my choice due to superior mechanical properties (i.e. yield and ductility). Cast components can also have discontinuities such as porosity, hot tearing, inclusions, and cold shuts to name a few. Even if these defects are present in the ingot or billet they can be eliminated or minimized with forging.

Heat treating to relieve residual stress from the forging process would be beneficial and final annealing to restore the materials original ductility.

For material you will need high strength with enough ductility to yield before losing the ability to carry the design load at ambient operating temperature. Unless a corrosive environment is a concern, there is an array of carbon steels that should be suitable (see American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), Section 1.

Whatever material or fabrication method: the hook will require load testing a twice it rated load, (80 tons). Then inspected: visual, magnetic particle, and/or dye penetrate. The governing standard is ASME B30.10, but be sure to look at OSHA and any state codes that may be applicable.

Power-User

Good Answers: 17

02/10/2010 3:05 AM

With fear of stating the obvious, Make sure the load is designed to be lifted at the points you are looking to attack to without distorting / failing.

In reply to #5

02/10/2010 9:43 AM

often overlooked

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

02/10/2010 11:12 AM

It sounds like you are trying to re-invent the wheel. There are companies out there that manufacture hooks of all capacities. The engineering has already been done and certified. It will cost you more to do it all yourself. 40 tons is nothing to fool with by someone who doesn't understand the metallurgy and design.

Good Answers: 245
In reply to #7

02/10/2010 11:31 AM

Well put. Further, the dimensions given are far larger than required for a 40 ton hook. Far better to simply buy the appropriate hook.

Good Answers: 25

02/13/2010 5:46 AM

Hooks are forged from En-3A steel (British Std.). They are normalised after forging. Cast hook I have never heard of. There is proper grain flow in forged hooks.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 64

02/04/2013 11:12 AM

Forged Steel to be used for the Hook. Tensile Strength to be about 52 Kg/MM^2. Design to be approved by the Statutory Authority.

DHAYANANDHAN.S

Reply to Forum Thread 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Blink (1); Bushdriver (1); chinpunt (1); dhayanandhan (1); phoenix911 (3); PMoon (1); ronseto (1); suresh sharma (1)

Previous in Forum: Equalization Pressure of Two Air Receivers   Next in Forum: Pump Auditing

Advertisement