Previous in Forum: Large Industrial Wind Powered Electricity Generators   Next in Forum: J. F Kennedy "Bullet"
Close
Close
Close
33 comments
Associate

Tips for Reducing Belly and Weight

05/12/2010 5:04 AM

Please give me tips to reduce belly and weight.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

Re: Tips for reducing belly and weight

05/12/2010 5:12 AM

When I'm reducing the draw weight of a bow, I rasp wood off the belly.
Del

Popular Science - Weaponology - Ancient Weapon Enthusiast United States - US - Statue of Liberty - Viva la Revolucion!

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #1

05/13/2010 5:18 PM

you're special... likeable, but special...

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

05/12/2010 5:15 AM

Chemical Engineers tackle these things by doing a mass balance:

• Input = Output + Accumulation.

So, using the above, if a negative Accumulation is required, Output must exceed Input.

End of.

Good Answers: 109
In reply to #2

05/12/2010 11:07 PM

GA

In Canada vegetarian is an Indian word meaning "Bad hunter"

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

05/12/2010 6:27 AM

Diet & exercise?

What am I missing?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

05/12/2010 7:23 AM

What am I missing?

The OP needs will power.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #5

05/15/2010 3:44 AM

WRONG!!!!!

HE NEEDS :-

"WON'T POWER!"

Its the "WILL-power" that gave him the problem in the first place!!

Seriously though, let us know your sex, age, size (vertically) and exact weight!!

Good Answers: 55
In reply to #3

05/12/2010 11:26 PM

What am I missing?

Perhaps the excessively bellied one should research metabolic abnormalities. Diabetes is often accompanied by belly fat. Thyroid problems can lead to excess weight. Genetic predispositions. Natural "set weight".

Is good to see this kind of discussion here, and here and here and here and here.

Where I am from, Moronia, Phuket, Thailand our high school cheer was "No more numbers! Give us Videos! Phuket, Phuket!" What we mean is that we've had enough of all this science and engineering numbers stuff. What are making me come to CR4 are this new direction where anything goes. We Morons like irony. In Moronia, vegetarians know to look at the ingredient list... always have. Same too with milk. Our food has much cocunut milk. No one here thinks cows give coconuts. Very funny threads for an engineering site.

Good Answers: 290
In reply to #7

05/13/2010 3:41 AM

Welcome to CR4.

Please fill in your location in your user profile so that everyone can appreciate your signature line.

I suspect you are a long time served CR4 member under another name.

In reply to #7

05/13/2010 6:03 AM

"Ich bin Berliner!" US precedent Kennedy say this. He mean "I am a Paris person."

I thought it meant "I am a jelly roll."

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 10)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #13

05/15/2010 3:56 AM

Nearly right, he actually said:

"Ich bin ein Berliner!" = I am a Berliner (person)....

A Berliner is also a type of Doughnut sold here in Germany (solid, no hole but a lot of jam in the middle) so it still gets some laughs!!! You can see and read about them here in English:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_%28pastry%29

They look like this:-

John F. Kennedy urban legend

Main article: Ich bin ein Berliner#Jelly/Jam doughnut urban legend

The term Berliner referring to a 'jelly' (that is, jam) doughnut entered the consciousness of many non-Germans after an urban legend spread about then President of the United States John F. Kennedy's famous 1963 "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech in West Berlin. It translated the German sentence which Kennedy said, "Ich bin ein Berliner" (I am a Berliner), as the English, "I am a jelly doughnut."[4]

An "Americaner" cake sold in Germany is also sweet (?) and is more like a flattened cake with icing on top.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 36
In reply to #7

05/13/2010 10:48 AM

Listen. I understand that you feel like complaining about the blogs and the content that goes up, but I know for a fact that I work damn hard to put up blogs that are interesting to the public. Engineers are not just engineers, they are people too, with a vast amount of interests. If you have a problem with the content, don't read it, pick something else to read. I am fed up with you going around a nitpicking the hard work of the bloggers here. If you don't like the content, don't read it. Plain and simple. No one is pushing your nose to the screen.

Some other CR4 members might appreciate your 'clever' banter and your 'clever' disguising of "f- it" in "Phuket," but you are undermining the hard work of the bloggers that keep the content on this site. If you want to contribute, by all means contribute... but if every time you take a stab at bloggers, you are doing a disservice to this website. Do you really want bloggers to be discouraged to not put up content anymore? It is because of users like you that bloggers like me hate because you only criticize and not provide constructive criticism.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 11)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #19

05/13/2010 11:50 AM

Hear, hear!

"Some other CR4 members might appreciate your 'clever' banter and your 'clever' disguising of "f- it" in "Phuket,"..." Some CR4 members find the banter obnoxious and offensive. One member at least.

Keep up the good work, Jaxy (not intended to snub the other bloggers). Some CR4 members find the blogs engaging and thought provoking. One member at least.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

05/12/2010 6:47 AM

Maybe this CR4 blog will help?
Del

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 91

Re: Tips for Reducing Belly and Weight

05/13/2010 4:22 AM

Need to eat less & exercise more just the same as I need to. I've been meaning to get round to it but my chair at home is so comfy & I can reach all the remote controls.

The blog in Del's last post has lots of good advice.

Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

05/13/2010 5:38 AM

CR4 ADMIN: Deleted Post #10

Vulgar/Rude/Improper Behavior: This post was deleted because it did not adhere to the behavioral policies of the site. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ about rules for posting.

Canada - Member - I am from Canada Eh' Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Condition Monitoring, Advanced Diagnostics and Engineering Services Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Aviation Aftermarket Services for Honeywell Aerospace

Good Answers: 1

05/13/2010 5:58 AM

Lay off the greasy ole cheeseburgers and liqour.

Canada - Member - I am from Canada Eh' Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Condition Monitoring, Advanced Diagnostics and Engineering Services Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Aviation Aftermarket Services for Honeywell Aerospace

Good Answers: 1

05/13/2010 6:00 AM

Oh yeah....dont eat a lot of chicken fingers either..

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

05/13/2010 7:11 AM

Actually, the best tip I can think of is to consult your physician.

A checkup followed by some blood work would be a good start to determine if there are any underlining conditions that are driving your weight (i.e., thyroid, etc.).

Your physician can also give you sound advice on the best course of activities and diet based on your individual needs (and test results).

He can also make sure that any exercise program you intend to start will be helpful and not hurt you. Your heart is one such organ I am thinking about and getting medical advice would be a good thing.

In the end, this is an engineering forum and while we like to kid and have fun, few (if any) are medical doctors, so I would recommend you start at your physician's office.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #14

05/17/2010 4:17 PM

PLEASE... doctors know about as much about diet and nutrition as the average person... which means very little. (Note how many posters here had detailed, serious advice.)

Overweight is epidemic in American society. In simple terms it can be summed up as a metabolic disease. Metabolism does involve both diet and exercise. But the very next questions are: What kind of diet/foods and What kind of exercise. Details of answers to both of these will lead to more than a couple of choices. Marketing diet plans and exercise machines is big business. Just consult your local infomercial channel(s). In short, you do have to try your best to educate yourself regarding these questions.

For example: I recently read an article in Time Magazine about the dangers of Plastics in our environment. (http://greeningourchildren.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/the-perils-of-plastic-time-magazine-april-1-2010/) Here is a quote from that article:

Certain substances – including BPA and some phthalates – seem to be able to switch in vitro cells from becoming connective tissue to becoming fat cells, and a 2009 study from Belgium found that children exposed to higher levels of toxic chemicals like polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) before birth were fatter than those who had lower exposure.

This may in fact be a trail to follow to explain what is being called an epidemic of diabetes in children -- and help explain why so many Americans are overweight. I suspect there is a whole host of variables and causative agents.

Simple explanations are becoming less and less viable.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #32

05/19/2010 12:56 AM

"Simple explanations are becoming less and less viable"

How true

(and the other one)

Good Answers: 25

05/13/2010 7:56 AM

Hi Vicki,

Jokes apart, I suggest only controlled diet and physical exercise can reduce your Tummy.Avoid fried foods, even no ghee (butter) on chapati (bread). No dairy products such as butter, milk, cheese ( No more Pizzas),try to be vegi if you can. No more sweets, sodas such as Coke, Pepsi etc. Lesser use of salts. More of Salads, fruits, vegetables.Lesser intake of cereals. Daily half an hour walk/jog. Physical exercises like Yoga/ Work outs. Try for one month difficult? if you have determination you can change your shape.

Suresh Sharma

05/13/2010 8:37 AM

Need the denominator of the fraction in order to attempt reduction.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 10)
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 149

05/13/2010 9:43 AM

This being an engineering forum and not a health forum, our response would most likely involve high speed automated machine cutting tools or torches.

We aren't nutritionists or doctors, we cut and weld steel.

Good Answers: 6

05/13/2010 9:50 AM

Everybody knows what to do to reduce belly.

Eat like a bird and work like a farmer

But don't over do it.Don't suddenly cut your calories and start walking five miles a day.

You will abandon it very soon and gain even more weight.

My advice:

Don't do anything which you can do for the rest of your life.

Good Answers: 25

05/13/2010 11:32 AM

I was told the quickest way to lose 12 Lbs of ugly surplus fat
was to chop off your head!

Two "to do's":

Do not eat ANY cakes, biscuits, fried, etc. only straight proteins, -
egg, nuts, meat, fish, salad/fruit, i.e. straightforward "natural" foods.

Only eat when you are hungry, and wait 1 hour before starting.
(do a little job, or exercise, to take your mind off eating.)
The relief valve is: you can eat whatever you like one day a week.

Stick to this and watch the lbs roll off, guaranteed. (still healthy.)
It's a life style change, and worth it. You can always "relapse"
after a few years. (most people do, and then start all over again)

As they say...... Enjoy!

jt.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - Ancient Weapon Enthusiast United States - US - Statue of Liberty - Viva la Revolucion!

05/13/2010 1:31 PM

Enjoy natural FATS (not oils) in moderation, no matter how many times Rachel Ray says "E.V.O.O." with that little glint in her eye, Olive oil (and other veg. derived oil) is more difficult for your body to process than butter (and other animal derived fats). I'm not saying olive oil is bad, just that butter is better, or bacon grease for that matter... In any event, whatever fat/oil you choose to use it should be used in moderation. If you choose to use butter I strongly recommend clarifying it, this process is simple and removes most of the cholesterol from the butter... simply warm the butter up until it turns liquid, it will seperate into 3 parts, a foamy surface a clear yellowy center and a whiteish cloudy/slimy lower layer, you want the clear yellow portion in the middle so spoon off the top and slowly pour off the good stuff (you can purchase this pre-made at stores like Whole Foods or Sunflower, it is called Ghee, but you will spend way too much money), when you refrigerate it the clarified butter (ghee) will re-harden and can be stored in the fridge just like regular butter, if you have molds you can even turn it back into sticks. This will also dramatically increase the temperature at which your butter begins to burn making it more suited for frying eggs or sauteing vegetables.

Reduce consumption of carbohydrates (do not eliminate them, you need some)

Consume lots of protein, you need protein for almost every process in your body, no protein and you die. Eggs are an excellent high protein whole food.

Eat a variety of fresh vegetables and fruits. I like to lightly saute them in a little butter or steam them until they just start to soften... boiling leeches the nutrients out, unless you plan to drink the water don't boil your veggies!

Reduce or eliminate refined sugars and don't consume anything with high fructose corn syrup (good luck with that last one); but don't replace your sugar with artificial sweeteners, they taste bad and the caloric savings are practically nonexistent when you get right down to it.

If it comes in a can at the grocery it's probably bad for you. Read the labels on your food; if you don't know what it is you probably don't want it in your body... unless you are dead and rotting you don't need preservatives... do you really want to eat meat that has been on a shelf in excess of a year and claims to be good for another? I don't.

Drink water, tea (preferably unsweetened) or diluted juice not soda... LOTS OF WATER it will help your body flush the toxins that are stored in your fat cells (which will be released back into your body as you burn the fat) and it occupies space you might otherwise fill with ding-dongs... Do be careful as it is possible to drink too much water if you really try.

Exercise exercise exercise... start riding a bike to work, get a treadmill, go swimming... anything at all, even excessive fidgeting, so long as you are regularly elevating your heart rate sufficiently to burn off more calories than you are eating you should start seeing a change. Don't worry about focusing your exercise to a specific 'problem area' as muscle toning and fat burning are not linked. Your body will burn fat off in the order it sees fit, this is frequently in the reverse order it packed it on in, but could happen in any pattern that is unrelated to whether you do crunches and sit ups or push-ups and jumping jacks. Many people worsen their 'problem areas' by overworking them, i.e. all the jogging they were doing to reduce the size of their butt actually made their butt bigger as it developed more muscle mass while fat was burned from another area so they started working their butt more and it got bigger still...

Avoid 'empty calories', this means any food that provides calories without any additional nutritive benefits... like twinkies...

Remember foods like celery for snack time... you burn more calories eating celery than you get from it, full belly/negative caloric intake... might be helpful...

Eat peanuts! Peanuts trigger the release of a chemical in your body that tells you you are full... eat a handful about 15 - 20 minutes before you sit down to eat... as a bonus they are also a good source of protein...

You should also look at your eating pattern, most Americans eat a small crappy breakfast, a moderate nutrition-less lunch and a large dinner of questionable nutritive value... It is healthier to eat a large protein packed breakfast, a medium sized balanced lunch and a light dinner... or take the more natural forager approach and eat small morsels periodically all day. You should stop eating at least a couple hours before bedtime, digestion shuts down while you sleep and all the undigested food in your belly can start to rot... yummy...

Take it slowly, you should probably talk to your doctor to make sure you are healthy enough to make such a dramatic change in your lifestyle, suddenly shifting from an unhealthy to a healthy lifestyle can be very unhealthy.

Now, for the complicated bit... you may also have a physiological issue (i.e. thyroid dysfunction) that is causing you to have difficulty maintaining your weight, get yourself tested! If your doctor finds an issue I recommend finding a good herbalist or naturopathic doctor to resolve the issue without resorting immediately to modern chemistry, you would do better to help your body fix itself than to force it into submission with the latest drugs...

or, if you don't care about doing things 'naturally' you can always go get your stomach stapled and your derriere lipo-suctioned... it is your body after all, and you have the right to perform whatever ridiculous experiments on it you desire (at least as far as I'm concerned... Uncle Sam's opinion is somewhat less expansive and doesn't allow the 'cocaine diet' or the 'meth diet' (I don't approve either, but I don't think I have the right to stop you or I wouldn't even let you have a dexatrim))

Remember, no one can change you but you. If you want to live healthier you have to find the will power to do it within yourself... though having caring friends and family around to smack you in the back of the head when you falter can definitely help.

Some healthy eating out options... If you have such establishments in your area I strongly recommend Indian, Vietnamese and Japanese restaurants as the meals they provide are generally very healthy and quite flavorful (and not swimming in thick, pungent, sugary sauces like 'Chinese' food frequently is, or overwhelmingly processed and nutritionally deficient like 'American' food tends to be)

I gained 60lbs over the course of a year and another 10-15 over the next few years due to medication I was put on (at too high a dose), I've been riding my bike to work (1.5 - 5 miles each way depending on whether or not I ride the train (I ride the train more often than not)) and eating roughly according to the advice above for about 6-9 months. I have lost 25-30lbs or more and at least 6" of belly without any other sort of regimen.

Good luck!

In reply to #22

05/13/2010 2:46 PM

GA.

Just one thing: Indian meals are notoriously high in salt (in the UK anyway).

In reply to #23

05/13/2010 3:26 PM

Thanks for the GA and the additional info!

In reply to #23

05/13/2010 5:09 PM

Just one thing: Indian meals are notoriously high in salt (in the UK anyway).

And most other temperate areas as well...

No doubt a cultural thing, just like in Mexico (thinking here of the Mexican Itch - to young timers, that's the lime, salt, and tequila ritual practiced unknowingly in pickup bars), derived from the practice where folks laboring in the fields must consume salt (and liquid) to maintain electrolyte balance and avert heat stroke.

Unfortunately, when these warm climate rural foods are transferred to temperate realms (invariably by the emigrant him/herself...who also might have lost memory of the practical reason behind intense salting) the salting/seasoning excesses come with them.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 91
In reply to #22

05/14/2010 4:27 AM

"Eat peanuts! Peanuts trigger the release of a chemical in your body that tells you you are full..."

Does peanut butter count?

This is the first time I've heard this idea, might give it a try.

In reply to #28

05/14/2010 5:28 AM

05/13/2010 6:41 PM

First understand two main reasons for belly fat and body fat excess:

1. Necessary and/or excess food consumption is not eliminated due to:
    • Insufficient use of the legs (largest muscles and best fat calorie consumers) for walking. This has been brought about (and brought increasingly to bear on not just adults) by numerous circumstance, prime of which are two that, for 35 years or so, have steadily overcome the so-called first world (first to lose health?) societies, starting in USA:
      • The conversion to debt based economies leading to
        • Ubiquitous "ownership" and use, in lieu of any walking, of automobiles, all events having origins in (and, sorry, some who prefer not to face facts will not like this):
  2. Voluntary and coerced, permanent/semi-permanent removal from home and hearth - and offspring - (via government misbegotten policy and industry profit motive) of working aged females (and the handing over of childrearing/nurturing to hired or conscripted third parties, which in turn has altered the responsibility for healthy eating from the home to industrial concerns having interest only in competitive self well-being in the market place.

Now, since one lifetime is probably not enough to deal effectively with #2 (given that the economies now rely as much and more on women as both breadwinners and consumers, the only realistic starting place is #1 ...

By resolving never to drive less than a fixed distance (say, 4 blocks/1 mile/10 minutes...whatever, the objective is yours to choose when that distance can be walked.

By being just as judicious and just as resolved resolved when it comes to giving rides, including to (other than infant and toddler/small child) family members.

Arranging breaks or using arranged breaks on the job to walk to an objective that would other wise have been driven to.

By eating slowly.

The main thing to remember... there's no way to accomplish what you want without investment in some effort and...more than that, in time (forget this 3 minutes a day or 1/2 hour a week stuff...you're not trying to burst your heart); walking with effort about an half hour or more a day will begin to show marked results in a week or so.).

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 33 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (1); Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Hero (2); Anonymous Poster (4); ddk (1); Del the cat (2); Doorman (1); DVader1000 (1); hairlesssimian (3); Jaxy (1); jt (1); kevinm (1); MoronicBumble (1); Nigh (2); PWSlack (1); Randall (3); Rorschach (1); sensorscontrols (1); srini (1); suresh sharma (1); The Green Bastard (2)

Previous in Forum: Large Industrial Wind Powered Electricity Generators   Next in Forum: J. F Kennedy "Bullet"
You might be interested in: Pipettes and Tips, Impact Hammers, Live Centers

Advertisement