Previous in Forum: Ultimate engineering challenge-design a coffee cup..   Next in Forum: Posts going missing again.
Close
Close
Close
Page 3 of 8: « First < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Guru

Good Answers: 24

Wacky Science - an open invitation

04/10/2007 7:19 PM

This is an open invitation to all: post your weird and most bizarre link of magical or unexplained science or phenomenon, preferably in video, which you may occasionally encounter on the web, and let's all discuss it here:

- Is it for real or is it a hoax?

- If it's real, how is it made, what's the phenomenon or effect?

- If it's a hoax, how was it made?

Dear Admins, please consider: Should this be a blog?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: amusement science
This discussion was "closed" on 05/16/2007 11:42 PM. No new comments are allowed.
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #456
Find in discussion

Re: Wacky Science - an open invitation

04/30/2007 3:38 AM

I can't find our hedgehog chat ! anyway

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6378245.stm

http://www.dango.bham.ac.uk/record_details.asp?id=785&recordType=ngo

http://www.guardian.co.uk/conservation/story/0,13369,1687999,00.html

Enjoy. My mother freaked when I smuggled one into my bedroom as a kid.

ps -they're good climbers , I will keep eyes out for a vid. Think the best you could is to create a hedgehog friendly garden for the spikey dudes. If anyone watching comes across Squirell Nutkin via Mrs Tiggywinkle , hands off - he's a hero of mine and potential Avatar . Kneel and worship as you speak Nutkins name . A rebel with paws.

In reply to #431
Find in discussion

04/29/2007 8:03 PM

As you might guess Kris, Sunday is a busy day for me. 22:00 hours to 01:00 hours is supposed to be my kip. Then the F-n Dog rings with Mr. William Hannaford, six special brews the worse for wear. Go to "Speakers Corner" and the loud-mouth ranting on about filthy niggers and packy filth....etc. in a cockney accent is probably Bill. He claims to have been Top Banana for the National Front at some time or other, The fact that they all bicker amongst themselves about who is/was top banana, indicates a lack of command structure.....as Samuel Peeps would say "And so to bed"....

Yawn! .....zzzzzzzz!

The eye-sore concrete Anti-Tank bollards outside our lovely Houses of Parliament, are a feature William claims his gift of the gab, persuaded some sucker at SO11 to swallow hook line and sinker. Mr. William Hannaford Esq. has taken full advantage of the facility at Speakers Corner to hone his powers of persuasion to a fine edge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_Pugin

Any persons reading this are welcome to join the Wikipedia Sandpit and learn how to submit a contribution, perhaps a short dissertation on recent modifications to our Houses of Parliament, that Augustus Pugin never intended. "Punk Rocker HP sauce from the Naff Front."

William was fishing for information, he wanted a rundown on The Charles Dickens Oliver Twist quote:-

"If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble,… "the law is a ass—a idiot. If that's the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experience—by experience."

Naturally Bill has taken my advise to consult with his Barrister over his latest prosecution for racist remarks pending adjudication at law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22

Probably this phrase was mentioned as well as the former Dickens aphorism. as William demanded a full hours dissertation on Catch 22. "Look William, I read that book at college 40 years ago, it's time you got yourself a notebook-puter and an ISP!"

Being trained for over 40 years in matters of a divine nature, I recognise the hand of G-d, at every turn of my life.

Here is wisdom:- If you experience any suffering, PRAISE G-D for He is showing you special mercy, be glad, for nobody suffers without G-d's express permission"

Even if it's a trivial suffering like lack of kip. The recent United Nations Resolution to Greet the Extra Terrestrial Diplomatic Delegation, requires that we construct "Docking Facilities" so come on CR4 folk let's cut out the crap and bull and F-n get on with the job. If the carrot does not tempt you, the stick will be bloody.

"Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. The sooner the discovery is made the better, as there is more time and power for taking advantage of it." William Lamb
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #431
Find in discussion

04/29/2007 9:40 PM

For you Kris to ponder, Breaking News. (Cobalt transformed to Nickel by potent alchemy. Greetings from the New York Subway Buskers. Pure Cobalt blue pigment for the Spiritual Sky Painting 4 U 2 Kris. Fibonacci Spiral Stress-Related Composition. I will post up progress of creative process now and again. Might have an Ape or three in the picture? "Pigs-Apes in Space" it might be a bit "expressionist" you could always mend a chicken shack roof with it, Dr. Gashet, knew how to make use of his multi-millionaire client Mr. Van Gogh's daubs. Watch out for "Chicken-Shack Theatre" on You-Tube someday we have the shack built courtesy of Ms. Judy Jacoub, Daughter of United Nations Press Secretary and we have the Chickens to Go!)

Luv Alastair.

Fibonacci spirals in nature could be stress-related

24 April 2007

The Fibonacci sequence -- in which each successive number is the sum of its two preceding numbers -- regularly crops up in nature. It describes the number of petals around daisies, how the density of branches increases up a tree trunk, and how a pine cone's scales are arranged. Now, having performed "stress engineering" to create Fibonacci-sequence spirals on microstructures grown in the lab, physicists in China think they may have found the reason why the sequence is so ubiquitous -- with a little help from a seemingly unrelated physics problem posed over 100 years ago (Appl. Phys. Lett. 90 164102).

Stress engineering can be used to create microstructures without using any high-precision patterning equipment. In the technique, a curved "core" material is coated with a different "shell" material at a high temperature. The composite is then cooled while carefully restricting the geometry, and because of difference in the thermal expansion of each material selective parts of the shell buckle under stress, causing patterns to form.

Zexian Cao and colleagues from the Chinese Academy of Sciences used stress engineering to create different-shaped microstructures just 12 µm across with a silver core and a SiO2 shell. They discovered that if the shells were encouraged into spherical shapes during cooling, triangular stress patterns formed on the shells. On the other hand, if they were encouraged into conical shapes, spiral stress patterns were formed. These spiral patterns were "Fibonacci spirals" – that is, spirals that have dimensions governed by the Fibonacci series (see fig: "Fibonacci spiral").

Cao's team do not think the Fibonacci spirals formed by accident, however – they think that their cause may be related to a tricky problem posed by the physicist J J Thomson in 1904. Thomson asked how a collection of like-charges would arrange themselves on a conducting sphere so as to minimize energy. Physicists have since calculated that the charges would take on triangular patterns – similar to Cao's spherical microstructures. Because of this, Cao's team thinks that the Fibonacci spirals on the conical microstructures must be the equivalent minimum-energy (and hence minimum-stress) configuration for a cone, although they have not performed any calculations themselves.

Biologists have long suspected that the branching of trees and other occurrences of the Fibonacci sequence in nature is simply a reaction to minimize stress, but no concrete proof of it has every been found. "Our experiment using pure inorganic materials may provide proof to this principle," Cao told Physics Web.

Cao added that using stress engineering to create Fibonacci patterns could also have applications in photonics: "Fibonacci spirals are a special lattice; I would say they are both ordered and disordered. If the lattice points were some materials of a proper 'dielectric', it may provide a new photonic crystal that displays some interesting properties."

About the author

Jon Cartwright is a reporter for Physics Web

"Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. The sooner the discovery is made the better, as there is more time and power for taking advantage of it." William Lamb
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #437

04/30/2007 12:37 AM

They discovered that if the shells were encouraged into spherical shapes during cooling, triangular stress patterns formed on the shells

Was that not expected ? - in 2D we see the (well almost ) Hexagonal Giants Causeway - Ok there are some annoying pentagons but thats life and the matrix isn't perfect . Anyway , the B's have it.

So in 3D we get an Icosahedron . Admittedly cooling a matrix 'a la causeway' would make a crumbling mess , but it's the regular solid with most faces.

Good Answers: 49
In reply to #445

04/30/2007 12:47 AM

At least you have the approval of Fin McCull!!!

In reply to #445

04/30/2007 4:28 AM

btw - that looks like on of the Planet of the Apes films , I couldn't really see the horrible faces I recall . A much cooler encounter is in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure where they meet the future world leaders. . No sign of our own thrash metal axe-man Tony . There's plenty of gravy in the trough to keep him and the one with a flip-top-head busy elsewhere , if Neil and Gladys will share.

In reply to #426
Find in discussion

04/29/2007 10:32 PM

An interesting thing, addition. Seems that no matter what substance you can name: drugs, alcohol, tobacco, food, gambling, knitting, whatever... about 20% of the population involved just can't handle it. These are the ones that get hopelessly addicted.

Also, in the 70's crystal meth was rampant. My brother used to shoot the stuff! But it never took off they way it has in the 21st century. I wonder why?

Also, I was talking to a doctor that told me one of the real tardegies of crystal meth is that it re-wires the brain such that it's the only thing that creates a sense of joy. He said he had seen mothers with their new-born babies, and the child gave them no feeling whatsoever. The only thing that they could feel happy about was meth. Now that's scary!!!

One last observation, of all the people I knew that were involved in the drug culture, the ones that wound up in mental institutions were amphetamine users. Somehow, the stuff really shreds your cognitive brain.

One note for your Shawn Connery: the movie Outlander is probably the best anti-meth movie ever made!

In reply to #438

04/29/2007 11:06 PM

Quote:- "The only thing that they could feel happy about was meth. Now that's scary!!!"

May I tell you just how scary? Way back in the late 1960's, A Lady by the name Joanna Enderby-Smith, daughter of Daphne and Gerald, Father had the full responsibility of Japan's European Investment Portfolio. Joanna wanted to be a Ballet Dancer, and went to the World Famous "Tring" Ballet College to learn the craft, leaving with qualifications that would impress the Bolshoi. Indeed she would have been qualified to choreograph them.

Her physique was the wrong shape for "Prima-Ballerina" so she concentrated her efforts and considerable talents to correography....

The BBC, always gets the cream of the crop, and she was accordingly contracted to them. Ready Steady Go, the forerunner of Top of The Pops needed advice, Pete Drummond was the MC.... Pop music was a big export earner for the UK, in league with the Automobile industry. The BBC worked late hours, and Joanna was also in demand at Covent Garden and elsewhere. Someone at the BBC, recognising that the punishing hours was taking a toll on Joanna, and realising more work could be got out of her with "Uppers" referred Her to the BBC Harley Street Quack Doctor. who would write out a prescription for any bloody thing the BBC demanded. Until that is, he was Disbarred from Medical Practice.

By 1974, Christmas, Joanna was on the way out of this World, and The Royal Military Police Stepped in.

The rest of the Storey, requires authority from the Attorney General in order to relate. I was NOT.....REPEAT....NOT BLUFFING... when I said Presidents would shake in their boots.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #438

04/30/2007 12:02 AM

Also, in the 70's crystal meth was rampant. My brother used to shoot the stuff! But it never took off they way it has in the 21st century. I wonder why?

I'm sure that was a rhetorical question , but I'll chance an answer (well one factor anyway) - instant gratification culture . The British press is great at helping all sorts of crime by giving it nice names -"road rage" "happy slapping" "trolley rage" . The list goes on , each term rendering the crime user friendly for the sake of a catchy headline. There has been a noted rise in driving-test examiners being assaulted (people will just not accept that the examiner is fit to judge them , so a fist in the face is their reaction ) - watch out for the new phrase soon. I think that technology has it's place on the stand - with the instant fix of you-tube/mobile phones /console violence etc kids have the attention span of a

Not much time for reasoning if you can't think beyond the bottom of a can of Red-Bull

Going back on tack a bit - not all those screwed up had an option . In particular soldiers tripping on LSD and other delights courtesy of modern day Mengle types. I have a friend (honest !) who is currently completing a doctorate on the subject -I must look her up sometime.

I got to know a guy who had got his act together after getting off crack . Great bloke , had it all to play for .Unfortunately about a year down the line he met up with his former friends . What a waste.

In reply to #443

04/30/2007 12:44 AM

Those that took LSD that were borderline psychotic got pushed over the line. This is true, but amphetamines took many a normal person to the land of "never-return, kicking and screaming."

A depressing statistic: only 1% of those addicted (the 20%) to crystal meth ever really get free.

But why has rural America produced the highest number of dealers and addicts? In the 80's they laid off tracing the cocaine money, because it's source went so high. Some believe that the prevalent thought was 'Keep the poor (name your most unfavorite racial group) down, while making tons of money. This was considered a virtue.

In reply to #443

04/30/2007 1:08 AM

Good Morning Kris,

May I call you "Camel-Straw_Remover_From_Back"....."Kamel-Remove...mmm..?"I"?..Straw".... Have to work on it, B.A.N.A.N.A. & S.N.A.F.U. are good ones.

>>Going back on tack a bit - not all those screwed up had an option . In particular soldiers tripping on LSD and other delights courtesy of modern day Mengle types. I have a friend (honest !) who is currently completing a doctorate on the subject -I must look her up sometime.<<

You must ask the Lady in question to contact the Procurator Fiscal, (I have his details on file) For Aberdeen Circa 1982.

The gist....Two Fork-wit Canadians, rent council house from Ex? Junkie & faded Rock Star Drummer (They are all round the flaming twist!)....Mr. Richard Munroe Esq. who shows his new sub-let tenants, where he keeps all his stash hidden. loose bricks and the like.......Drummer Munroe returns to East Grinstead, to advise Posh Totty Girlfriend how to drill hole in electricity meter and stuff joss stick in hole to abstract electricity.

Cut storey short......Drummer Munroe detained at her Majesty's Pleasure in Craig Inches Prison (Not nice prison to spend ten years in)......

Posh Totty contacts friends..contacts...me...with tale of woe......Canadian Fork-wits dealing LSD Heroin Methylene Dioxi Amphetamine (cant spell those names 4 toffee) & Meta Amphetamine. to Air Force Base Personnel in Locality......blah blah. Await Drummer Munroe's return to collect rent, shop Drummer Munroe to Police....and scar-per scar-per laughing their forked up heads off.

It's called "Being Stitched Up" in the trade. Imply guilt by suspicious association....I have just been tested to see if I am on the ball........ I was not born yesterday!...."confidential" that bit sorry.......It ruined my post about a dearly departed friend who wrote about the Whitbread Brewery sponsored Conquest and Overlord Tapestry/Embroidery......Blah

East-West Publications(UK) Ltd. (June 1981) ISBN-10: 0856920738 ISBN-13:978-0856920738....blah. Photo of Director of War Room next Door to Men With Hill. above.

Oh yes Drummer Munroe out of nick like a shot from Cannon.(about three months, as the Judges at the Criminal Review Tribunal regarded his showing the Fork-wit Canadians where to hide their contraband, as worthy of a few more shit & shaves.)

B.T.W. Brian Jewell, was Ze War Correspondent 4 Ze Mirror Newzpaper. Note "Royal Engineer" a man who DID know how to organise a piss-up in a Brewery, and no mistake. And besides him Lt. Colonel The cuddly John Downham, Secretary (secretum) at Fullwood Barracks Preston. Note to Newspaper Editors, Print Crap on Front page, lose job quick sharp.

Postscript Lt.Colonel John, will understand the reference to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, a little leprechaun has promised him that there is a pot of Diamonds, not Gold, at the end of every rainbow he ever sees. Bless.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #448

04/30/2007 1:29 AM

I am firmly convinced that the reason why the British Empire fell was that you were all so inbred that not only do you have terrible teeth, but you can't make a rational thought! Though you all think you know what you're talking about!!!

No wonder the film "Twenty-Eight Days" took place in England... It was a documentary!!!

In reply to #450

04/30/2007 3:02 AM

When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.

The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth.

He removes the greatest ornament of friendship, who takes away from it respect.

He only employs his passion who can make no use of his reason.

Not to know what has been transacted in former times is to be always a child. If no use is made of the labors of past ages, the world must remain always in the infancy of knowledge.

We do not destroy religion by destroying superstition. Next to God we are nothing.

To God we are Everything.
Be sure that it is not you that is mortal, but only your body. For that man whom your outward form reveals is not yourself; the spirit is the true self, not that physical figure which and be pointed out by your finger.

The welfare of the people is the ultimate law. (Salus Populi Suprema Est Lex)

"A nation can survive its fools and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and he carries his banners openly against the city. But the traitor moves among those within the gates freely, his sly whispers rustling through all alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears no traitor; he speaks in the accents familiar to his victim, and he wears their face and their garments and he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation; he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of a city; he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to be feared. The traitor is the plague."
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Roman author, orator, & politician (106 BC - 43 BC)

I, Oliver Kenneth Goff was a member of the Communist Party and
the Young Communist League, from May 2, 1936 to October 9, 1939. During
this period of time, I operated under the alias of John Keats and the
number 18-B-2. My testimony before the Government is incorporated in
Volume 9 of the Un-American Activities Report for the year 1939.

While a member of the Communist Party, I attended Communist
underground training schools outside the City of New York: In the
Bues Hall, and 113 East Wells Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The East
Wells Street School operated under the name of the Eugene Debs School.
Here, under the tutoring of Eugene Dennis, M. Sparks, Morris Childs,
Jack Kling and others, we were schooled in the art of revolutionary
overthrow of the established Government.

We were trained on how to dismantle and assemble mimeograph
machines, to use for propaganda purposes during the revolution; how
to work on guide wires and fuel lines of airplanes so that they would
either burst into flames or crash to the ground because of lack of
control; how to work on ties and rails to wreck trains; and also the
art of poisoning water supplies.

We discussed quite throughly the fluoridation of water supplies
and how we were using it in Russia as a tranquilizer in the prison
camps. The leaders of our school felt that if it could be induced into
the American water supply, it would bring-about a spirit of lethargy
in the nation; where it would keep the general public docile during a
steady encroachment of Communism. We also discussed the fact that
keeping a store of deadly fluoride near the water reservoir would be
advantageous during the time of the revolution, as it would give us
opportunity to dump this poison into the water supply and either kill
off the populace or threaten them with liquidation, so that they would
surrender to obtain fresh water.

We discussed in these schools, the complete art of revolution:
the seizure of the main utilities, such as light, power, gas, and water;
but it was felt by the leadership, that if a program of fluoridating
of the water could be carried out in the nation, it would go a long way
toward the advancement of the revolution.

The above statements are true.

/s/ Oliver Kenneth Goff

STATE OF COLORADO )
) S5
COUNTY OF ARAPAHOE )

OLIVER KENNETH GOFF, being first duly sworn upon his oath, deposes
and says that he has the above and foregoing instrument and knows the
contents thereof, and that the same are true of his own knowledge except
as to those matters stated on the information and belief as to those he
believes them to be true.

(SEAL)subscribed and sworn to before me this 22rd day of June A.D., 1957.

"Anyone who clings to the historically untrue--and thoroughly immoral--doctrine that 'violence never solves anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The Ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more disputes in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

- Robert Heinlein, author

Oh yes Teeth:-

http://curezone.com/dental/fluoride.html

http://www.fluoridation.com/censor.htm#Mullenix%20Odyssey

But let's have a Video on "Wacky Science" as well. http://www.soundandfury.tv/pages/Rumsfeld2.html

And some of those inbred British, who cant make a rational statement i.e. on Dental Health You may be perfectly correct Vermin......Let's wait and see?

9 Jul 2003 : Column 331

"In my capacity of chair of the Advisory Group for the systematic review on the effects of water fluoridation, recently conducted by the NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, the University of York, and as its founding director, I am concerned that the results of the review have been widely misrepresented. The review was exceptional in this field in that it was conducted by an independent group to the highest international scientific standards and a summary has been published in the British Medical Journal. It is particularly worrying, then, that statements which mislead the public about the review's findings have been made in press releases and briefings by the British Dental Association, the National Alliance for Equity in Dental Health and the British Fluoridation Society. I should like to correct some of these errors.
    1. Whilst there is evidence that water fluoridation is effective at reducing caries, the quality of the studies was generally moderate and the size of the estimated benefit, only of the order of 15%, is far from 'massive'.
    2. The review found water fluoridation to be significantly associated with high levels of dental fluorosis, which was not characterised as 'just a cosmetic issue'.
    3. The review did not show water fluoridation to be safe. The quality of the research was too poor to establish with confidence whether or not there are potentially important adverse effects in addition to the high levels of fluorosis. The report recommended that more research was needed.
    4. There was little evidence to show that water fluoridation has reduced social inequalities in dental health".

We can argue about that one way or the other, because I am not entirely sure that I agree. It continues:

"5. The review could come to no conclusion as to the cost- effectiveness of water fluoridation, or whether there are different effects between natural or artificial fluoridation.
    6. Probably because of the rigour with which this review was conducted, these findings are more cautious and less conclusive than in most previous reviews.
    7. The review team was surprised that, in spite of the large number of studies carried out over several decades, there is a dearth of reliable evidence with which to inform policy. Until high quality studies are undertaken, providing more definite evidence, there will continue to be legitimate scientific controversy over the likely effects and costs of water fluoridation".

Professor Sheldon was the head of the research team conducting the York University research. I am not saying that he is totally right, but I would like the Minister to address those points in his reply and tell us whether what Professor Sheldon says is important to the debate that we are having on this final form of the legislation.

That should be enough to go with for the time being. more "Wacky Science" to Follow.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #457

04/30/2007 4:11 AM

Phew ! you certainly know how to assemble a reply Alastair. Great (but scary) links.. There are some very murky rules on public health/food additives. The way in which people view E-numbers is interesting . The coal-derivative ones are nasty sounding , but there are also organically occurring ones . The general public feeling seems to be one of confusion and worry . The powers that be seem to manage this all the time , whether they are dealing with Salmonella in eggs or just food labelling (traffic lights ,5-a-day etc etc. A bit of common sense and reading the ingredients is better . Thank you nanny-Britain. We are assumed to be increasingly stupid -where did those 'proper' weather maps go ).

Changing tack , here's an interesting quote from my History teacher at school " hmm , 'to tolerate the in-tolerant' , thats an interesting question.. hmm"

That was back in th 70's (ie pre rampant political-correctness ). Unfortunately , the intolerant are now sitting comfortably in the parlour , so his question may be moot.

In reply to #459

04/30/2007 5:17 AM

AAAAAH, my reply ain't finished Yet Old Boy.....I got shoved off Cyber-Space so spent the time with a bit of Arty-Farty Rifles Boogey Stuff.

Entitled "TZAR-BOMBA-ROCK-ON-BAT-GUANO"

Check out the comment, on the funky yellow funker.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #461

04/30/2007 5:39 AM

Your being up so early today and getting the early worms has thrown me .

"TZAR-BOMBA-ROCK-ON-BAT-GUANO"

Well there are 3 phrses I know separately , but not together.

Vass is funky fing pliz ?

My crapware only includes 'paint' , and I'm to lazy to load half any half decent stuff just for the fun of analyzing Pixies. Helpingz ze lazy Kriz pliz.

In reply to #462

04/30/2007 6:25 AM

"My crapware only includes 'paint' , and I'm to lazy to load half any half decent stuff just for the fun of analyzing Pixies. Helpingz ze lazy Kriz pliz."

My CRAPWARE IS THE WONDERFUL AMAZING INCREDIBLE FANTASTIC UNBELIEVABLELY GOOD , THANK YOU WILLIAM THANK YOU, HOW CAN I EVER EXPRESS MY GRATITUDE........."PAINT"

What on earth do you suppose I made that picture with, OK it took half an hour give or take, but that's have the fun of it. The "CHALLENGE"

I can Download you the "Full Bitmap"...... And I will sign it just for you, then erase the signed file. A limited edition of "ONE" A.K.A. a "mono-print"

But if you print it, please use quality acid free paper. then have it framed. and mounted properly......and notify your insurance company...... and have a propper Sothebys valuation..... (copy to Mrs Jan Green at Prints and Publications Dept. at The National Gallery, if you like, and hugs-n-kisses to Daisey & Ned with love from me)

www.sothebys.com/

http://www.sothebys.com/

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #466

04/30/2007 6:36 AM

Years ago I used to shoot pool with a real fun guy who was an arty type , more often than not pissed and stoned . No matter his condition , he could whip anybodies arse on the table and had a great sense of humus. We went our separate ways , he went to St Ives (yes Alastair , St Ives, the penny didn't drop on me at the time).Years later I'm leafing through the times and Guess who's got a half page spread all to himself - unfortunately the Obits (but he would undoubtedly have made a witty one-liner about it. Good old Bob Law RIP . I never understood his sculpting or painting , but he was one hell of a laugh to play pool with.

In reply to #467

04/30/2007 6:44 AM

http://www.arthester.co.uk/bob_law_biography.shtml

Wow!........$$&^&^^%£$%$£"£$*%&(&_((*^$$%%£"!£"%$^&^(*^%*%""£!"£^&

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #467

04/30/2007 6:50 AM

http://www.arnoldwiggins.com/

Wow! EEEE Wow!EEEE Wow!......Go watch the You-Tube bouncy yellow ball, while I compose a Tribute......Live with "PAINT" for Bob......I did not know he was over the bridge.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #469

04/30/2007 7:17 AM

Thanks for the links - Great to see that face again . I still have a copy of the obit somewhere -I shall dig it out and scan in (he's worth a place I think and now i've got an excuse ), the photo is art in itself and capture Bob in his unique posture. He dangled a fag in a nonchalant way that nobody else could.

In reply to #470

04/30/2007 7:25 AM

Thanks Kris Saved by the bell, I was getting carried away, About to "Gild the Lilly" as "Bubbles" used to say, Here it is, "Compressed".....It's as big a file as AOL will upload.

This one is OK 4 CR4 R.I.P.Bob. No tears. he is OK.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #470

04/30/2007 11:52 AM

This is my crappy scanning :

Bob Law :"St Ives artist whose works ranged from childlike drawings to poems cast in lead and canvases in shades of black" Got potted himself on April 17 2004

In reply to #476

04/30/2007 8:30 PM

Thanks Kris,

For Bob......A special YouTube edition of "The Simpsons" Homer Smokes the Weed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83vL7DdXUQ0&mode=related&search=

"What's that smoke?" askes Mrs. Simpson.

"Smells like the "Art Teachers Office" says little Miss Simpson.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #470

04/30/2007 9:54 PM

Hi Kris, My day starts early....time for a cuppa rosey lee. (tea, vermin it's cockney rhyming slang, i.e. a "Dog" is a dog-n-bone = phone, so if a London Cockney asks for your "home dog", ...."home dog number" 'mobile home' , you will be able to oblige, "What's yer bone mate" won't sond so strange.)

Quote:-

"The finest picture shown without an appropriate Frame loses a great advantage as on the other hand it sustains material injury from a frame injudiciously selected", wrote Sir Thomas Lawrence on igth October 1828 in reply to his patron Mrs Gott who had written suggesting that the frames he had ordered for the portraits of Mr and Mrs Gott should be much narrower than his usual pattern. Lawrence assured her, "The pattern has been selected by me and its dimensions determined solely with a view to the advantage of the pictures".

This correspondence regarding the framing of the pair of portraits which he describes as, "Two of the best that I have ever painted", exemplifies the lengths that Lawrence often went to in the latter part of his career to ensure the best appearance of his pictures. He specified that the breadth of the mouldings for the Gott pictures should be nine inches and that, "Less than six would I am certain be injurious to the Pictures." However, he conceded over the width of the moulding and in his next letter of 26th November he remarks,.........."

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #479

04/30/2007 11:38 PM

Interesting . My fantastic step-dad was once cajolled into submitting a terrific photograph to one of the categories in a village show . We should have known better. The pic was in a simple cheap frame (one of those glass held on to board with 4 clips type things) . The WI types vetting submission (in more ways than one) informed him that it was not in the regulation size and style of mounting , and would he please present as per spec . He left it as was , with mutterings to me 'if you can't see the picture for itself despite frame.......' . I tend to agree . Then again , I also like some of Frank lloyd Wrights buildings and hate ponsy food presentation (spun sugar baskets inverted over a slither of angelica for puddin' )

Interupting myself , I saw a great sight at 4 this morning (spring heeled jack has to do his thing at some hour.) 2 birds were wheeling high in the sky lit by the full moon (which was low down ) . All I could see were the huge white contours - I haven't a clue what they were. Terrific - Early morning is always worth it.

Here's a little helper vermin. Some words listed are never used by brits.Beware.Mild put downs such as 'berk' have quite rude meanings , that most brits do not realize. If it's any consollation , a lot of American things puzzle us (well 'me' I should say). As Alastair said somewhere , figuring it out is part of the fun and reward ("it's supposed to give you brain ache"). I only get a fraction of what Alastair says , and even less of what I say.Persevere tribble-like-one , you are fun company.

In reply to #480

05/01/2007 12:31 AM

Thanks Kris

Link saved under AOL "Favourites" spring heeled jack Title: (Kris_Paint_Stuff)

Cool. I fear I met a very sweet Lady walking her lovely dog that always greets me, on Sunday Morning, and she enquired after me and what arty-business I was up to. I was so enthusiastic I let slip the name CR4......tut tut....There may be consequences.

There is a Hubby in the background. A very serious ARTIST!.....A Pupil of Oska Kokoschka......The first living Artist to sell a wet canvas for over a million bucks. when a million was worth a lot more than today.

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=21301&rss=mrqe

Spookey......The Internet is manifesting Interactive and Highly Appropriate Responses. Alan Turing http://www.turing.org.uk/ Either it's Human or it's not???

When it's better than Human, then I will know.

Ah Yes! Frames....."A Beautiful Girl still looks beautiful with a sack with holes cut for her arms and head, with a bit of bailing twine for a belt, but any Girl can look beautiful with a well cut dress, and a bit of slap-n-hair-doo"

Those "Clip-Frames" are certainly better than nothing. Allow the expert, it can be a Local Picture Framer (use judgement from his window display) to advise, just tell him the budget, and if he advises spending a tad more, take the advise. Picture Framing is an Art in itself. "A person who blows his own trumpet, heralds himself as a non-entity"......Also an Artist that sells his own work is an idiot. The strict regulations are that if you give someone a painting/whatever.....you have established a contract never to charge money ever again.

I like the Joke about Julius Caesar, as all the Senators were stabbing him, Brutus Came forward and stabbed him in the stomach...."Et Tu Brutus, that's the first time anyone has stabbed me in the front"......The Art/Theatre world is much like Ancient Rome.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #482

05/01/2007 1:55 AM

Bugger it -just wrote long detailed reply and lost it. F^*%£&*c*^

with no explanation due time , it include

jilly cooper

thellwell

hate 42

like fish

funny old lady story

einstein plan b= pic framing

whos quote of a quote did i quote

fun chats for earlt am

will return more collected

repeat mantra - must keep saving copy in edit

In reply to #467

04/30/2007 8:18 AM

Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody. The B.A.N.A.N.A.G.U.R.U. lives here in Winewall Bonnie Colne Lancashire A.K.A.B.O.P.P.E.R.B.A.N.A.N.A.G.U.R.U. Ask Mick Hucknell and he will tell you who. Mick regularly bungs half million quid cheques at Prime Minister Tony Blair (Nu-Labour, Party Funds)or Banana-Guru is upset. otherwise known as just BJ.

Mick's first ever gig was a "Save Hartley Hospital" fundraiser. BJ has at one time, had his mug shot on more front newspapers than Tony....but BJ stopped being Friends of the Earth Press Spokesman for health reasons. He used to drive Manchester Buses, then he was cut-up by a lunatic driver, and had to save his passengers and the pedestrians, "back-problems" ever since. Salt of the Earth more like it.

Now Elizabeth Hurley has a great shot, playing pool, as the "Devil" in "Bedazzled"...mmm Bananas & Bedazzled sort of go together.

There will have to be a "Rowan Tree" as I think there will probably be a lot of Red Berries all over the place this year. Lieutenant General N.R. Parker and The Rt. Hon Earl of Portsmouth (custodian of the "wacky science" Sir Isaac Newton Papers) should know where to place those Rowans.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #461

05/06/2007 5:56 PM

RELAX MAN, WE GOT IT!

IF WE DON'T TAKE YOU SERIOUSELY, YOU WILL ATOM-BOMB US ALL!

WHAT A FREAK!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #605

05/06/2007 10:31 PM

I am not so sure Guest, Thanks for the comment, and much appreciated. One promise that I can make, that doubtless will allay your worst fears, I am definitely NOT the person pulling the strings or making the decisions. I fear that had that been the case Planet Earth would have been sterilised long long ago. I have a very nasty temper when roused. Police Officers who as much as give me "dumb insolence" get a dressing down until they complain that their ears ache!

A colleague of mine, who acted as my Aid de Camp ADC on the 11th September, poor man was in the dark that morning when I arrived. He recorded all the News Footage live, awaiting events to unfold. Allan, "Wool-Fish" ex Catering Corps, was my Internet/Computer Boffin....knew all the tricks....done the course...blah.....about a year later, he told me excitedly that he thought it was a great idea......

"What's a great idea? " I responded, "Well you know, the Internet decision, brilliant"... "Sorry Allan (he is the stepson of Canon John Carpenter) I have no idea what the 'Internet Decision' is, please elucidate"....."Well".... says Allan...."Don't you think a virtual War, where nobody actually gets injured, is far better than atom bombs dropping all over the place" (extemporised from memory).......I replied, ...."Well Allan how could I argue against that, but sorry I know nothing about it"......The conversation ended there, and I do recall I topped up my Vodaphone account soon after. so I can place the time and date of that conversation.

Later the penny dropped for me as well, and it fills me with deep sadness, but I do see the logic. It's a choice. Destruction of Life on earth, or close down the Internet. Nanny state once again, but naughty boys and girls have to be punished for misbehaviour.

Not just that, the punishment has to fit the crime. The crime was committed on the 26th of September 1983. Stan merely delayed the inevitable. I was invited to the Cinema at Lakenheath to watch the Armed Services Pre-Release Showing of "War Games"...... when the Boffin flying radio-control prehistoric ornithopters was called in to fix the monster machine, and all he did was pull the plug out of the socket....Sorry folks for spoiling the film if you have not watched it.....The Lakenheath Cinema was an uproar of cheers and hoorays! hats were thrown in the air...blah

Sadly I have to relate, that all that did, was apply the breaks...we have been applying them ever since. If we let go of them for one second...curtains.....so I fear the brilliant MOSAD plan may have to be enacted. Shut down the internet. They are the guys running the show now, it's up to them. I hope our friend Yuval has forgiven my .....indisctetions.... I am a little bit upset about it all.

The danger is too great, with all these lunatics abuseing the internet, plotting sabotage etc etc. threatening to Blow a Nuclear Power Station i.e. the Pilgrim Power Plant in Boston, eleven days to go before the big Gulf War Veterans Association meet on Ascention Day..... what can I say. those brakes can only hold up for so long, then I suppose MOSAD... who are well informed..... pull the plug on the entire web

I thought the History lesson of the Web from CERN would be a nice farewell.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #605

05/07/2007 2:51 AM

The caps lock doesn't look too relaxed to me.

Try reading the whole thread through , following the dates etc and you may understand better. Not easy I admit , with such a long thread, but I don't think you have the full picture of the threads content.

A freak is just something unconventional/unusual. If you shout it hidden in anonymity , you look like part of an ignorant lynch mob.

In reply to #607

05/07/2007 5:20 AM

yo Kris

I have read some of it, and to my opinion it doesn't do your site much credit.

This author is a bold anti Semite. Have a look at his whole record of writing. Aren't you ashamed to give stage to this nature of writing, in our times?

He is ignorant in the very basic concepts of modern science.

My son called me to correct so many of his notions with awe.

His writing is filled with ambiguous threats and pathetic plea for attention.

He is a relentless compulsive writer, filling his articles with non relevant material only to daze the reader with quantity of self-indulgence.

And coming to this maniac's aid does you no credit either.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #608

05/07/2007 6:06 AM

Hi,

I have read some of it, and to my opinion it doesn't do your site much credit.

It's not my site Guest. The originator of the thread was Yuval . You could address the issue to Yuval (though I am always cautious of who anybody in cyberspace claims to be , and their motives. I apply this principle to all ). I understanding your intended meaning , but both Arabic and Hebrew are semitic languages ( I put this in as a minor detail , since the term is used a lot to mean anti-Israeli ). For all I know AC could be a radical Hebrew , intending to create a an anti - anti -Semite argument. That is the bizarre consequence of web-postings. For my part I ignore overtly political religious comment , and try to stick with the more acceptable things - engineering/science /humour/ the everyday issues that most think about. My posting on this thread is not an endorsement of anybodys views. I do comment , on anybodies side , if I think there may be some lack of communication (hence my previous post). One of the dilemmas is that someone posting as Guest could be anyone and guests can be confused. A Guest may also be a registered member who is not logged in.

There are many excellent science issues within this thread. My suggestion would be to join cr4 and be able to partake in all it has to offer (and what you can give it). Objectionable comment can be found all over cr4 , and members have the option to ignore posts etc etc . If I feel that I do not like somebody's political view , I will still listen since bad politics does not preclude good science.

This is about as long as I've posted on politics , I am sure you will understand if I don't extend the topic (for reasons I've stated ). Administrators will eventually cull inappropriate posting (though reasonable on-topic posts may get taken out as unavoidable collateral). I hope this clarifies my position to you - It's not my responsibility to take away peoples soap-boxes , and I will listen to somebody and form an opinion regardless of what they may or may not want.

Cheers , Kris.

As a footnote , I know of a member who's hysterically abusive postings were censored , but the author is still on cr4. The postings in question were far more dangerous than anything you have seen here.

In reply to #608

05/07/2007 6:07 AM

Dear guest,

First, not being sure you are the same writer as above, this is not the forum to discus it. you may take quoted, and place them elsewhere for further examination discussion, more proper for your accusations. This, being a scientific-nature forum, may be more for the discussion and the debate of such nature.

Second, Are you Israelies or Jewish to respond in such manners?

This way, you come to no-one's aid. I'm perfectly capable of negotiating my own affairs, on my own terms. You do me no service here, and anyone's shame is not yours to judge.

True, some of Alastair's notions are objectionable, but since addressed to me, please let me negotiate those, on my terms, not yours.

Should you wish to unmask yourself and discuss science with him or me, or anyone else here, please do, not incognito, but fully fledged, and get all your due honor.

Hiding behind anonymity, does not serve you to much credit here. We like a clear address to reply to. And we do reply.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #608

05/07/2007 6:12 AM

How can a Jew be Anti-Semitic? Talk to my Accountant He is the Rabbi that Elton John Sacked for being too expensive.

Argue with these folk please, not me, I am only trying to give my best. I am a polymath, not a specialist, and I would be indebted to your father for any corrections to my posts. I do however specialize in Probability Theory, and Encryption. I might "Learn your Dad a trick or two....who knows?

http://aryan-nations.org/reichsfolk/theology_ns.html

Chill out!

This is about "Wacky-Science" and raising the other half billion to make a movie.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #607

05/07/2007 6:02 AM

84th x 166th 4 The PM.

"Springtime Hypnotism 4 Adolph"

A Symmetric Rectangle 19 x (29 x 2), or (19 x 2) x 29? or (19 x 29) x 2? Mmmm?

Post #1102 for Squirrel Nutkin Eh!.....Our Guest has probably read the "Pictures" first, I fear his every movement on the internet from now on will be closely monitored by our Friendly Crow, and covered by that Cigar chewing Bulldog....Perhaps not....?

Circa 1999, the Secret Sommelier Wine buff & raconteur of all things fruity & juicy. "I've had enough of this, bring me the wine"....back in the days when RAF Menwith Hill was commanded by a Colonel Brand New Computer. from Uncle Sam's Intelligence Outfit......"Vera Productions" a firm contracted to Ch 4 TV.....decided to make a Film Documentary of what the Listening Station was really up to. i.e. stealing intellectual property mostly from Germany, at a cost of some tens of billions to their economy,

http://www.kftv.com/company-875518.html

http://www.sohoeditors.com/operatorhomepage.asp?opid=3033

Decided upon the spiffing ruse, of "Where the Wind Blows" as their Artistic Trespass over M.O.D. land. In a hot air balloon. Point those "Microwave" parabolic dishes at a cow in a field, and watch the steam erupt from the poor creatures hind quarters.... Cooked on the hoof in a jiff.....A Chaplain was required, I volunteered....ahem?.. I WAS Volunteered (You you & you is the normal proceedure).....Well, I can't be sure, but my hunch is that The Catholic University of Australia, has fun hacking into Menwith Hill's Data Banks, and publishing the entire contents to the web...tut tut. They did not stop short of Names and Addresses either. (Moral, Take Care, when public health inspectors root around your dustbins, and less of the "lip" please when serving dinner afterwards in your restaurant at the end of the universe)

I note that prices seem to shoot ahead of "official" inflation statistics. In 1967, you could buy a huge mansion for under £10,000, and a decent house for under a grand. so when Casino Royal was made at a cost of some $25,000,000. it was the Billion Dollar production of it's day.

A quote borrowed from that "mysteriously" redirected Google Search. I had typed in something rather dull and uninteresting. Library of Congress and ISBN tags, on dull books on Architecture, by even duller Authors......>>>>>

"But for Woody Allen, Casino Royale was simply a job with an attractive salary. He would spend his time off the set playing high-stakes poker, using his winnings to buy German Expressionist art (an Emil Nolde watercolor, a drawing by Oska Kokoschka) or purchase hard-to-find jazz records for his personal collection. In Woody Allen: A Biography by Eric Lax, the actor/writer/director confessed (in a letter to a friend) that Casino Royale "is a madhouse. I haven't begun filming yet but saw the sets for my scenes. They are the height of bad pop art expensive vulgarity. Saw rushes and am dubious to put it mildly, but probably film will coin a mint. (Not money, just a single peppermint.) I play the villain (okay to give that out) and also James Bond's bastard nephew (not all right to give that out) and my part changes every day as new stars fall in....I would like it emphasized and made quite clear that I am not a writer of Casino. I'm adding a few ad-lib jokes to my own part but that's all. In fact...we demanded a letter saying my name cannot appear on screen as writer. This because everyone who contributed a comma is demanding his name on the film and the writers' list looks like Terry Southern, Ben Hecht, Michael Sayers, Frank Buxton, Mickey Rose, Peter Sellers, Val Guest, Wolf Mankowitz, etc."

We just don't serve this stuff up on a plate, you have to follow the leads. but with a possible limit of only eleven days, make good use of it while it lasts. (Worst Case Scenario 11)

"The "Frame" size and "Mount" size, should always be in proportion." (For transparency)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #457

04/30/2007 3:30 PM

While in hind-sight, I see I was rather rude. However, that wasn't my intension, I was trying more for comedy and frustration.

I've tried to keep up with you, Kris, and Yuval, but I just can't catch on to the lingo. I feel like a Mexican trying to understand Spanish. Woof!!!

In reply to #477

04/30/2007 11:38 PM

"Dr. Larry Gadekin beavering away in the BetaBatt Tritium Lab" 27 Days 2 go till Wedding Bells 4 Jessica & Dan......CR4 Banns being Called Here!

Dear vermin,

You wrote:-

>> "While in hind-sight, I see I was rather rude. However, that wasn't my intension, I was trying more for comedy and frustration." <<

I was not offended for myself vermin, that would be a great offence, indeed we should take all criticism, even abusive criticism from an enemy, as a great opportunity for self examination. We seldom see ourselves as others see us, and may be unaware of the offences we give to others. President Bush, is a Texan, and in Texas Cattle Ranching is the predominant culture. After a hard day's work, perhaps branding cattle/whatever sitting down by the camp fire with a plate of bean stew and a mug of hot coffee, what better way to relax, but to lay back, gaze at the twinkling diamonds in the new night sky,.....and put ones feet up......It is a signal that you are in relaxation mode......ready to listen.

In Arabia and the far east, "Submissive Behaviour" is the norm. As Desmond Morris , in his excellent book "MANWATCHING" A Field Guide to Human Behaviour, writes on the subject:-

"When a man is threatened with attack, (A common nomadic risk in tribal lands, with undefined territorial claims, vermin) he has five alternatives: he can fight, flee, hide, summon aid, or try to appease his assailant.If his attacker is too strong to be challenged, there is nowhere to flee of hide, and no one to come to his aid, then appeasement is the only solution. It is at such moments that Submissive Behaviour occurs.

Passive submission in the human animal is much the same as in other mammals. In extreme cases it takes the form of cringing, crouching, grovelling, whimpering, and attempts to protect the most vulnerable parts of the body. The only uniquely human element added to the display is verbal pleading and begging for mercy.

A cornered human victim driven to these extremes is a pathetic sight, and this is precisely the function of the submissive display, in terms of animal survival. In order for it to succeed, it must present the individual as so incapacitated as to be hardly worth attacking........." Hapless poor "Manuel" in Faulty Towers, is a prime example.

"Submissive Behaviour" is formalised in society by such polite gestures as bowing and curtsying. In Arab culture, showing the soles of your feet or boots to a stranger, indicates a posture that sends the message...."I have back-up, one false move and you are dead meat buddy, now what is it you have come to speak to me about, are our camels and goats grazing your land, it's not your land, it is common land and we have a right to be here."

Bad start to a Diplomatic Exchange in an Oval Office, I would conjecture. The Envoy would return home and report the tenure of the meeting. It would be heard in open council....Honour would be affronted....Duty would mandate a significant rebuttal of a deadly nature, otherwise territory would be ceeded.......ahem???? 9/11?????

Allow me to share.

Dear Larry, Thank you, I will enjoy reading that, sounds fascinating at first glance. Just now I am watching Elizabeth Bradley's amazing Google Video. And some fun amateur home made Douglas Adams You Tube Videos as well. There is a link.....just a coincidence.....Elizabeth's Lecture becomes "musical" at about 42 minutes in. I remember the fuss Casinos made over MIT? students figuring out the chaos of the roulette wheel, seems like a job for "Deep Thought" and even "Deeper Thought" (Planet Earth.) I am confident that many applications will be discovered with this branch of Non-Linear Dynamics Modeling, and the Environmental Sciences: Ideas and tools and Musical Variation Chaos Attractors. A Pentagon inside the Sept.2003 Hurricane Isabel indicates the ubiquitous Fibonacci Bunny Rabbits at play. Kind Regards & Love to Both you and Joy, Jessica and Dan. May 27th....."Butterfly Effects in the tummy." Alastair Enjoy.

> >> "NO BUDGET PRODUCTIONS" << < <<<< PRESENT FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT>>>> > > "DEEP THOUGHT" < < &&&> > AND < < THE > > ANSWER *** ***** ***** ***** ? ? ? ? ?? ? ??? ??? ?? ? ? ? (%) (%) (%) (%) (%) (%) (%) (%) (%) (%) (%) (%) .......... TO ....... THE .......UNIVERSE...... EVERYTHING......&........."IT" ..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZfIwGtD0Lg

>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcncPpQ8loA <<The amazing Babel Fish. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ In a message dated 30/04/2007 16:30:51 GMT Standard Time, larrygad@betabatt.com writes:

Dear Alastair,

Here are a couple amusing articles. Would that there were a way to marry them.

Regards,(MY EMPHASIS)

Larry

Number 819 #2, April 11, 2007 by Phil Schewe and Ben Stein

Plasmon-Assisted Solar Cells

Because of its ubiquity in electronics, silicon is the favorite semiconductor used in solar photovoltaic cells. Still, one would like to reduce the amount of Si needed for large-area devices. Furthermore, silicon is a poor light emitter and absorber, and therefore solar cell efficiencies have generally been poor.

The efficiency of thin-film Si cells is even poorer than for wafer-thick Si cells. How to make the cells cheap (using thin films) but also nicely absorptive is an important goal. Scientists at the University of New South Wales in Australia have now enhanced the absorption of sunlight using surface plasmons.

When light strikes a metal sample it can initiate electrical disturbances in the surface, either as localized excitations called surface plasmons or as moving waves called surface plasmon polaritons. The plasmons can be considered as a sort of proxy for the light, except at a shorter wavelength.

If, moreover, the plasmon energy can be efficiently collected and transferred to an underlying waveguide as part of a solar cell, then the cells' yield can grow. This what the New South Wales researchers do. They use silver nanoparticles to excite surface plasmons, which enhances light trapping. For 1.25-micron-thick thin-film cells, the enhancement was by a factor of 16 for light with a wavelength of 1050 nm.

For wafers, the enhancement was by a factor of 7 for light with a wavelength of 1200 nm. Silicon normally absorbs light only weakly in this part of the spectrum, so the enhancement is significant. Across all wavelengths, the photocurrent enhancement for the 1.25-micron film and the wafer samples was, respectively, 33% and 19%. According to Supriya Pillai (supriyap@student.unsw.edu.au), optimizing the nanoparticle size should bring additional improvements. (Pillai et al., Journal of Applied Physics, upcoming article)

————————————————————————————

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #481

05/01/2007 1:22 AM

Looked at the links . 42 is just plain annoying - I have long held that if you can't find an answer it's because you don't know the question. The babel fish was good , it led me on to the that oldie about the /"]koalas . Sorry - link didn't work. Fingerprints and all that.

In reply to #483

05/01/2007 5:19 AM

Jessica Joy Gadekin & Daniel Aaron Pollyea....First Call for Banns. Ding-Dong-The-Bells are-going-to-Chime.....So-Get-Them-to-The-Church-on-Time.

Subtle Difference, see if you an spot the difference? Kris Elizabeth Bradley again.

I did a "select all" Cut & Paste from my email, and thought I could just edit it on CR4. BetaBatt has proprietary rights to their correspondence. Jessica & Dan preparing to tie the knot, seemed like a good excuse to let CR4 in on the happy union. by "Calling the Banns". I think Professor Larry was telling all CR4 readers, that there is a size limit for wedding presents. as long as they can be gift-wrapped by a trained circus flea, that's OK.

The "Deep Thought" 4T2...he spoke the answer. Look at the "T" 4, 3, 2, The answer is T=3, The Trinitarian Answer.......Hidden in plain sight.

This leads on to Transfinites and the set of irrational numbers. as postulated by Georg Cantor.....In my analysis of his random matrix, where each and every new digit within the transfinite number on the "diagonal" .....must be different......to the digit intersecting the horizontally randomly tabulated list of irrational numbers.

In Binary, there is no freedom to choose. if it's a zero, it can only change to a 'one' and vica-versa.

"T" and Freedom to choose. I reckon I DO LIKE DEEP THOUGHTS ANSWER VERY MUCH INDEED. .......time to put the kettle on, pity U cant join me, but put yours on, and we can both have T4"2". cheers.

That Dr. Liz Bradley Dissertation is a Corker. 26 minutes in and 33 minutes in are also interesting. but the "Musical" possibilities......It's Hitchhikers Guide once again.....Switch off the computer, says the Musicians Union. improving on Bach and Mozart, is not Cricket....composers will be put out of a job......A Union Demarcation Dispute......and not the first time.....The rumour mill, credits the Scarlatti family with a secret mathematical formula, Composers just can not believe the prodigious output.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Scarlatti

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domenico_Scarlatti

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pietro_Filippo_Scarlatti

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #486

05/01/2007 6:05 AM

Too much here not computing at present.

Who are Jessica and Daniel

What is Daniels background

Why do I wonder

What have I missed about Scarlatti

etc

omission of ? is intentional - I read the last page in a book only if it's piffle

Dr Liz I like , but will save to savour later. I like first impression of modest character (I'm sure she could loose me in a nano-second ) and a tasty glimpse of familiar looking mechanism. I need to close of some of the threads I have dangling elsewhere before I become spread toooo t-----h-------i--------n. Pancake brains lack surface area- I need a walnut sized dinosaur type one , but with lots of convolutions. I have a tale to stash it in.

In reply to #487

05/01/2007 9:42 AM

"Who are Jessica and Daniel?" Writes Kris

Well Kris, perhaps this will answer your question. I have not met Dan, but Dr. Larry Gadekin and Joy are going to miss a treasure beyond price. I have followed the BetaBatt storey since the first Press Announcement. Larry and the BetaBatt Team have produced a beta-voltaic honeycomb power supply. ten to twenty years of output, from a tritium beta emitter. Nano Technology is in desperate need of a power source.....that was my initial interest. It is fascinating to watch a new project with huge promise for the future develop, then came the added bonus of a Love Storey.

You asked Kris, so here it is:-

The Bride Jessica Joy Gadeken, from Houston, Texas, attended the high school made famous by Wes Anderson's movie "Rushmore." She was a standout athlete, and went on to star on the front line of Connecticut College's storied volleyball team (go Camels!). Wanderlust lead her to the Midwest, to the University of Wisconsin, and then to Chicago, where she worked in Public Relations on the Got Milk? and Pork campaigns (prior to becoming a Jew, of course, or else she never would have mixed the two). She tired of pitching journalists and now spends her days in the North Shore, planning events and cheerier communiqués for journalists.

The Groom Daniel Aaron Pollyea is as Midwestern as they come. Born in Columbus, he has grown up wondering why everyone outside of central Ohio has an accent. He moved one state to the west for college, where he took a yoga class and went spelunking to buff up his resume. He moved one more state west for medical school, where he learned that stop signs are just suggestions and foie gras is illegal. He's excited that Jessica Joy is joining him in search of new life experiences to add to his curriculum vitae. The Groom Daniel Aaron Pollyea is as Midwestern as they come. Born in Columbus, he has grown up wondering why everyone outside of central Ohio has an accent. He moved one state to the west for college, where he took a yoga class and went spelunking to buff up his resume. He moved one more state west for medical school, where he learned that stop signs are just suggestions and foie gras is illegal. He's excited that Jessica Joy is joining him in search of new life experiences to add to his curriculum vitae. How They Met Dan had just started his residency when his sister Sarah started raving about a spinning class she was taking at her neighborhood gym. Since the neighborhood is called "Boy's Town" and the gym is called "The Sweat Shop," Dan was hesitant to plunge in. But when he did come as a guest, he couldn't help but to admire the teacher's sharp wit, raging beauty, statuesque physique and choice of music (Lemonheads cover of Simon & Garfunkle's Mrs. Robinson!). He wondered what her story was, and whether she was the only spinning instructor in the world without a tattoo or weird body piercing. Hesitant to make a move in front of his sister, and tired of paying for the $10 guest passes, Dan found a way to get a Sunday off from work while Sarah was out of town and Jessica was teaching. He planned to ask her out after class, and he was excited when it became obvious that nobody else was coming. This was going to be easy!

But Jessica looked at the nearly empty class on that Sunday before Labor Day and lowered the boom, telling Dan she didn't want to teach just one person. Deflated, and out $10, Dan's plan was crumbling quickly. But Jessica threw him a life preserver, saying she was going to go for a run, and that he should join her.

Now Dan loves to run, but almost never runs two days in a row. As it happened, the day before he had done a back to back run, so this would be three runs in three days. Unprecedented! On top of that, he didn't even have his running shoes with him. So what do you think he said? Exactly… "Let's go!" After a run through the drizzling rain in which the conversation ranged from peanut butter sandwiches to dirty scrubs, Jessica gave Dan her number, and their hearts haven't stopped racing at the thought of one another since. The Proposal Since Jessica was fairly involved in selecting her engagement ring, the question was not if but when Dan would propose. And Dan planned to get as much mileage as possible out of the suspense. As the spring flurry of looking at diamonds faded into fall, their two-year anniversary was approaching. Dan suggested they commemorate it with a trip to Starved Rock, a state park about an hour outside of Chicago, for a day-long hike. Now for Jessica, spending the day in a place with no bathrooms or running water is hardly the way to celebrate an anniversary; her idea of a hike is traipsing along Michigan Avenue during the holiday season. But she enthusiastically went along with the plan, always ready to try new things, and offered to make a picnic for lunch.

That Sunday was gorgeous, with clear blue skies and temperatures in the mid-70's. They decided to go for a run along the lakepath before they left. When they finished the run, Dan said that his knee was sore and he needed to walk a little more before heading home. As they made their way south, Dan suggested ducking into a gazebo that's a little off the lakepath, in the shadow of the famous Drake Hotel.

It was then that Jessica knew that Dan was going to propose. He got down on one knee and carefully took out the ring that had been burning a hole in his dresser drawer for the last 3 months and was in a zippered pocket for the last 6 miles. Luckily, no tourists or homeless people were occupying the gazebo, and Jessica said yes!

To Jessica's relief, there would be no Starved Rock (the only rock was on her finger!). The rest of the day was a flurry of phone calls, a kayaking trip down the Chicago River and delivering cupcakes to a pregnant friend on bedrest (her husband was on call). They ended the evening over a delicious meal at Japonais.

For their first date, they went for a run, and it seemed appropriate that two years later, they would get off to a running start again…

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #487

05/01/2007 10:10 AM

Now then Kris,

This Wedding Post, would seem to be "WAY-OFF-TOPIC" ....YOU WOULD BE WRONG!....... it's ....."WAY-ON-TOPIC".......With another PRIZE on offer, thanks to Dr. Larry Gadekin's prompt......We have a question for CR4 readers of this "WACKY SCIENCE" Thread.

Jessica and Dan would like to recieve individualy gift-wrapped pollen grains as their Wedding Present from CR4 Members....(%) I see the expression on folks faces.

There is a very simple and elegant way to do this. "Folded Origami" Style. for instance how would you fold a cube one mm each way from a thin film net, of just six square milimeters? Tetrahedron if you like.

First Correct Answer gets the Prize......Trained Circus Fleas is one suggestion, but you would need to fully explain how you would train them. Nano-bots are far too obvious a solution....so are excluded. Best of Luck (P.S. This Prize is not a Download...it's a Canvas, In 1985, Susy York, of Sothebys Lancaster Branch, told me never to let a Dealer or Agent have a canvas for under £1,500, So put your thinking caps on....(Bob Law comes into this Prize in a spectacular fashion)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #489

05/01/2007 1:14 PM

I would use some kinda deposition technology on a 4mm square piece of whatever to induce stresses in a manner consistent with valley and ridge folds for a water-bomb fold. I might have to time the activation of stress induction carefully.

However I would more likely be sidetracked by folding a Jackstone as it looks prettier ,and you have put me in a romantic dreamy mood Alastair. Yuval - Bob is an Acquaintance worth making- apply asap to Mr Carnegie Esq.

I shall return again to see solution to inscruitable problem.

In reply to #490

05/01/2007 1:55 PM

Ingenious, but the solution Larry sent me was exquisite in it's simplicity and elegance. The net for a cubic box, just happens to be a "Cross". This is not a theoretical solution, it is practical. and demonstrably works. It appeals so much to me, because my love of mathematics, was inspired by John Dee, who Tutored Queen Elizabet 1st.

His Opus, "Principia Mathematica" is also a "Pop-Up" book. all the nets for the platonic solids are pasted within the pages, and a few more besides. The introduction is amazing, John Dee goes down on bended knee, to the reader, begging and imploring, that the reader will have the patience to persevere. Dee gives a solemn promise, that no secrets anywhere in the universe can fail to be explained by the blazing light of mathematical investigation. Bob Law's "Kisses & Crosses" set of prints, hide one of those precious secrets.

The internet is a marvel. I am so glad that I can remember what it was like before it's arrival. Th potential impact over the next few decades, will I am sure be mind boggling...... The Transfinite awaits. A crazy concept where what we regard as infinity is so small, it may as well be nothing. Aleph Null, was a superb description by Georg Cantor. The Transfinite begins at the numerical base three. The countable infinity is also so vast as to be incomprehensible. What to speak of the Transfinite.

Have another look at the Time Machine Drawing, and think of the snake that swallows it's tail. Actually the sign for infinity, the figure eight on it's side, is a reminder of this.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #491

05/02/2007 2:29 AM

I shall look up John Dee's book . My knowledge is sketchy , but I know he had some intriguing/esoteric fascets. Pop-up books are marvellous. Recognizing templates for cubes always helped me in those silly tests set by aptitude testing people like Saville and Holdsworth. I have a nice dodecahedron on the shelf I knocked up once - seeing how a cube is contained in 3 different positions is fun. Last time I was there , the Science Museum had some nice card models. The Jackstone I mentioned is amazing - a whole lot of pre-creasing ends up in a flat sheet of paper ,which with one dextrous movement you force iit nto an extraordinary shape. No drawing can really demonstrate this , which is why it s hard to learn - much more impressive than a rabbit out of a hat.

Agree about the Internet . The real question is what to do with all that info.

I am of for breakfast , and to think where that picture was.

In reply to #492

05/02/2007 3:25 AM

Good Morning Mr. "501" Darts Champion. Kris. (remember the "301"earlier?)

Breaking News, A veteran internet "Ghost Surfer" is off the leash. Known as Filed Marshal Dedan Kimathe. You need a Home Office Licence to view that gentleman's Kenya Emergency Files. Nor will you get a Licence, if your enquiry is a frivolous Historical Research, and not a Psychiatric Research into the extremes of Human Depravity. You will need to be interviewed first, and be willing to be under constant supervision by a fellow Psychiatrist, so as to ensure your psychological safety. The fellow would not view the material. just observe the Licence Holder.

Ah yes........At school, practically every bored kid has tried filling in the holes presented in printed alphabetical fonts....just spotted an "o" in the word "font", but blow me down with a feather, I can't get my cursor arrow onto it, all I can do is make a Greek letter........and.......Click....cool...Mobile Phone Clock & HP notebook synchronised..........waffle waffle,.....so let's amuse ourselves and place the arrow in the "R" of CERN....and click at the appropriate moment. (Top Left Hand Corner of Screen)..... Half a blindfold second late......(a kids game, estimate a minute)

http://www.podtech.net/scobleshow/technology/1361/cern-tour-beginnings-of-the-web

"welcome to "501" wacky science......... VIDEO...WELDING GOGGLES ADVISED! This is "BRIGHT" Viewing.......!!!!!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #493

05/02/2007 4:47 AM

Hmm. Watched 15 mins and had to place it on back burner (too many fish to fry ). The questions keep on rolling with lots of funny/yummy coincidences.

National museum month + Higgs feild and excited CERN folk seen recently on TV leads to reading AC latest post. Ooh . Tim locked in basement. Exciting . TBL 'made computers with soldriong Iron ', and I was just reading about Site for making robots with just a soldering iron (silly amateur site). Deluge of new interesting sites to look at + some very neglected running thoughts.Urgent E-mail to compose this morning for local skool. The plates will have to spin each other for a while .Damn the torpedo's.

In reply to #495

05/02/2007 2:12 PM

Daughter of United Nations Press Secretary Judy Yacoub's .......

"Chicken Shack Theatre Cast" .......More Stars to follow. Seen here outside Lord Tony Greaves of Colne's Pad. on Duke Street Winewall. You should see "The Chicken Globe Theatre" ........All the World's a Stage as the Bard of Lancaster and Avon said.

Kris, China may well adopt a Wacky Science Full Olympic Length Sprint at Beijing, and now we know who to blame.....ahem!......not Kris ......but. Lady Amelia....She is the Lady to the right of the picture.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #495

05/02/2007 2:55 PM

http://news.aol.co.uk/enhPhotoGalleryPollPopup.adp?popupgalleryid=2239&photoid=6&pause=0&articleID=20070502061409990003

Poor dear Europium, has been laid low with a flu bug/whatever, and the Observatory where he works may have to .....let's not think about it.......We need to get to grips with "antibiotic" therapy, Come on CR4, Computer Specialists, Pathology Labs need your assistance......The first attempt at establishing the "WEB" received the KISS OF DEATH from the "Let's make loads of money out of this" Crew. Watch the movie, and find out why Scientific Projects only succeed if you NEVER allow Boffins with BIG LETTERS after their names anywhere near the Keen Enthusiastic Researchers. They might just explain to them in lofty tones of superiority and mild condescension that what they were attempting......"Just couldn't be done"......Another poisonous Kiss Of Death to any worthwhile, but " Novel Project" underway.

GET BETTER SOON EUROPIUM....WE NEED YOU WELL.....LOOK AT THOSE DARK CHARCOAL RINGS OF JUPITER, WE HAVE PUT THE MATERIAL THERE FOR A RING SPACE STATION. .......Space Odisey 2007 begins today, with the "Wacky Science" Chicken Shack Globe Theatre..... Walk on water 501...."Telepathic Communicator"..... Firefly Scoreboard....... Cue "Robert Strange McNamara" Strange Attractor Variations of Richard Strauss .......ROLL DRUMS FANFARE TRUMPETS AT THE READY. HERALDS............PLAY ON.

http://www.crystalinks.com/2001z.html

'2001: A Space Odyssey' - 'Thus Spake Zarathustra'

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #498

05/02/2007 10:22 PM

There are some really great things going on (including the cool link to 2001) . Lots of 'tools' coming together into one huge purpose . Lots of very interesting coincidence - yesterday Channel 4 showed the best ever Simpson's (where Homer falls into the Twilight Zone of 3D , note that in another episode he also had a 2001 experience ) . A certain 15 yo was sporting a T-shirt with a bird emblem (yes just like those in the 2001 link , but not the Minto wheel big birds I have referenced this AM). I shall have to contain my interest in other things a bit so I can address this thread a bit more. My desk will get organized , even if I have to use a match. It's very easy to think things into being linked , but the growing stack of references around me begs to differ.Once is coincidence , twice is happenstance .......

In the red corner Paranoia , and in the blue corner the Rapture. In the middle - the centre of the Frankehedron and a swivelling Kris ( " ...and a Pollard in a Rho tree..."

In reply to #498

05/02/2007 10:30 PM

Nearly forgot - take the money or open the box

In reply to #495

05/07/2007 8:23 AM

Hi Kris,

You did well to hang on for fifteen munites, The film is just four minutes short of the hour. Also it's a slow burner with a long fuse, at about twenty minutes in the pace picks up. a Russian proverb: Sverchok [= solntse 'the sun', cf. Russian sverkat' 'to flash', svet 'light', svetit' 'to light']

FLASH OF LIGHT (similar to the Invisible Russian City that vanished in a Flash of Light)

At 23:23 and another flash at 32:32 followed by the BIG ONE! at ??:?? then scroll to the 11th entry on the menu at the end, and wish our friends a fond farewell, it was fun whilst it lasted, ...... but nothing is forever.....more of these Come back another time we will miss you. Bless U All. (No Spell Check, my Dyslexia is my "Signature") Alastair. Off to do some unpleasant Constabluary Duty. Oh and by the way, James Bond was a Horse Breeder in Dungiven just outside of Derry, A horse-Whisperer and was also a Blacksmith as well..... The Fitz-Bond/Fitz-????? has a rare inherited complaint in his hand, that is only found in Scandenavian Countries. The hand stops working. The picture was taken just after WW2. and was kept as a treasured memory in a silver frame, by Ms Bond.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #613

05/07/2007 8:36 AM

Всяк сверчок знай свой шесток - Vsyak sverchok znay sboy shestok

I think

Laters

In reply to #614

05/07/2007 9:41 AM

Can you read kyrilic?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #614

05/07/2007 1:57 PM

Но И цан нот реад ит ор врите ит

I Disclaim liability for stoopid translato machining of above script. Igor will speak English even if he doesn't understand what it means. There is a wonderful footage of Elton John speaking 'French' somewhere - he adopts a Peter Cellers style spoof accent in the honest belief that french speakers will understand better. This is just an amusing extension of my 'talk like a pirate day' (source credited somewhere in one of my posts). For all I know , the script could mean anything despite sounding English when read.This is my brief excursion into 'speak like a Russin day'.

In reply to #619

05/07/2007 2:08 PM

...he adopts a Peter Cellers style spoof accent...

Right "ooficier oof the lure", it's called "kharta" in Hebrew. One comic here, Eli Yatzpan, made millions doing it on TV for yeas.

This way he speaks some twenty odd languages. To actually hear it - ROFLMAO big time. I was pissing myself silly.

Pink Panther's "Did yoo say a ruim?" too. and "the muinky did it"... Cellers was a serious-going, alpha-ape, for my standards

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #620

05/07/2007 2:25 PM

"Did yoo say a ruim?" too. and "the muinky did it"...

Brilliant ! I always wondered how it was written. You have inspired me to baffle my family this evening with badly done accents. Oh what fun.. There is a lovely French girl locally who sells French bread - I will not be able to explain why I am laughing my head off next time we speak. Screw the Barbarians

In reply to #622

05/07/2007 2:40 PM

Let me confide here:

When I first came to Holland, sorry, The Netherlands, for my studies, I was 22, not a child, I found myself asking someone on the street for an address, and soon bursting into uncontrolled, hysterical, laugh, just hearing their accent speaking English.

Now, I know this is rude, and felt incredibly embarrassed, doing this, but it was completely out-of-control. I was laughing, apologising, and laughing again.

What gives? - It sounded so homely Yiddish, encapsulated in English, it must have taken me by surprise. Until then, I never heard authentic Dutch, speaking in English. I mean, I love the dear people, they're so friendly and helpful it made me feel like a jerk, but still, this uncontrolled laugh.

I stayed there for quite a few years and even got to know Dutch, but this outrage silly laugh held for about a month before subsiding into some sanity.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #624

05/07/2007 2:57 PM

Glad to see you in a good mood again Yuval, I am slowly recovering from your post from a while back,

Quote:-

"Cooling is not removing (or the subtraction of) energy. Cooling is merely directive heat-transfer. When you cool an object, you don't destroy it's heat, you merely transfer (or direct) it elsewhere......." Post #587 in reply to #566,

I am dumbfounded, and am at a loss to understand how energy can be removed from liquid helium to the point where it is only fractionally above absolute, the energy has been extracted and transfered .......ELSEWHERE....... NOT IN THE HELIUM....that still remains in motion......please I am genuinely eager to hear the explanation, one learns something new every day. I want to learn. how does the energy....now entirely removed from the Helium, act upon it? That is my question. Please Answer I beg.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #626

05/07/2007 3:21 PM

According to the second law, whenever you invest available energy, to change the status of a system, in our case, changing the temperature of the material to a different temperature from it's given ambient temperature, be that heating helium or cooling helium, this invested ("imported") energy, stays within the system.

Again: to keep the system's new, lowered state of entropy, you need an "adiabat", some means to avoid the system loosing it's new acquired energy, thus deteriorating to a higher state of entropy. In our case, the adiabat is in the form of thermal isolation between the system, and the outside, the ambiance.

Again: once you remove the barrier, the cooled system will warm up, or the heated system will cool down, to come to equilibrium with the ambient temperature, thus loosing back it's formerly acquired, invested, imported, energy, and thus will up its entropy level, to the given level of the ambiance.

Yes, again, the cooled helium contains the energy invested in it's cooling process. So does heated helium or any other so-defined thermodynamic system.

Potential energy, is energy viable for conversion, direction, or any other use. I's not destroyed, it's never destroyed, merely converted from one form to another, upping or lowering entropy, in a given system. This it the first law. The two are combined, to explain natural phenomena, in aspects of energy utilisation, and order, or complexity states of defined objects in nature.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #627

05/07/2007 8:22 PM

Thank you for your quick response Yuval,

You Wrote:-

"According to the second law, whenever you invest available energy, to change the status of a system, in our case, changing the temperature of the material to a different temperature from it's given ambient temperature, be that heating helium or cooling helium, this invested ("imported") energy, stays within the system......"

I have not read your post any further than this.

Not because I wish to argue that you are wrong, but to allow myself to try and guess what you are going to say next....... It's a game I play with myself....and as this is after all, a "Wacky-Science" Forum, please allow me to indulge in my game.

First question I ask myself is this, "What constitutes this system?" presumably much bigger than the solar system, the entire universe I suppose. Laser Pulse Cooling, tricks an Erbium Phosphor into releasing photons out of turn with the pulse, this energy deficit, causes the phosphor to cool, in order to maintain the balance.

For my thought experiment, we ignore a few moments and assume those photons are well on their way into the outer reaches of space, perhaps in millions of years a few of those photons will land on a little green man's pocket calculator (solar powered) and assist with his calculation by providing the required energy. Now this is my problem, but I know that you have the answer. I have not peeked at it yet, I am going to post this AS IS and see if your answer satisfies my perplexity.

Thanks for your Patience.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #627

05/07/2007 8:42 PM

Hi again, Yuval, You Wrote, (I have not read any further, still playing my game)

"Again: to keep the system's new, lowered state of entropy, you need an "adiabat", some means to avoid the system loosing it's new acquired energy, thus deteriorating to a higher state of entropy. In our case, the adiabat is in the form of thermal isolation between the system, and the outside, the ambiance.

Again: once you remove the barrier, the cooled system will warm up, or the heated system will cool down, to come to equilibrium with the ambient temperature, thus loosing back it's formerly acquired, invested, imported, energy, and thus will up its entropy level, to the given level of the ambiance......"

Having Problems here, Yuval, several of those photons, reached a satellite millions of miles away. NASA have just recorded them, and notified me of their arrival (it's a "Thought Experiment") ....."once you remove the barrier, the cooled system will warm up..." You write Yuval,..... Hold on the telephone from NASA is ringing......

They tell me it took half an hour for the photon to reach their detector, and half an hour to send the signal back again. ...... So that "barrier" you speak of also includes an hours delay, what to mention of the distance,.....but never mind. I have a much better fix now on the satellite, and I can focus my giant telescope better and my sample at the focal point is ready to receive the next blast of Pulsed Laser Cooling.

Time to put the kettle on,..... Awake and refreshed from a good kip, nothing like a cup of Rosy Lea to start the day......we sure can't expect our sample to regain that energy from the satelite for an hour. NASA tell me they have focused a laser beam back to earth. gosh. I might not have to keep ringing them up, I can read the results directly now. (OK Wacky-Thought- Experiment, but this is Wacky-Science)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #626

05/07/2007 3:52 PM

"...how energy can be removed from liquid helium to the point where it is only fractionally above absolute..."

Then again, maybe you think that cooling the helium, is removing energy from it - in this case - quite the opposite:

You probably associate energy with heat as one.

Not uncommon until about the eighteenth century, with the abolishment of the "Flugiston" concept, and replacing this with the notion of universal energy, and later, in the nineteenth century, that of entropy, to define the hierarchy of order, to be changed with energy.

Energy, is the natural ability to change the state of objects.

Nothing to do with heat or cold, given this aspect, at least.

Heat, ("thermal") is a transformable, convertible, form of energy. Others are: Electromagnetic, Gravitational, Kinetic, Nuclear, etc.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #628

05/07/2007 9:48 PM

Hedy Lamar's Patent The Feldman Margela Ballistic Transistor "Wack-Tera-Hertz-Science" Team Rochester NY Professor Larry Gadekin's old stomping ground. Thanks Yuval, It's only fair to warn you this thread may be read by some fairly "Wacky-Scientists" Would it be OK if Lucasian Chair Professor Steven Hawking acted as referee? I was invited (I was a Cambridge "Visitor" to DAMPT http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/afdnld/ way back circa 1983/4) to be the Lay Idiot, when his publishers arranged for us all to meet Charles Fox the wheelchair-bound Author of "Portrait in Oils" & other blockbusters, and Bertrand Russell's Son John Conrad Russell and myself the idiot, were at Curland near Staple Fitzpane near Taunton Somerset (Chaz Fox's Brother's pad) to discuss the MS for "A Brief History of Time" . Chaz advised that the book be published the old fashioned way, with pages you had to slit with a paper-knife, "Keep the mathematical formula out of sight, Steven, or everybody will just open your book, see some mathematics, and place it straight back on the shelf, most of your first print run will be remaindered, and your garage will be stuffed full of unsold copies" (extemporised) Below is a poem just sent in, (Killing "Demons" is a clear reference to the one's that troubled Maxwell....There are some Hot Hot Hot Scientists on the Hari Krishna Team, as they all want to learn Sanskrit) "I shall curl up with some Maxwell Demon killings now" Good Morning Prabhu, when you awake. Coming soon Yuval, the "Wacky-Science" Team from Korea. Wacky, but very real Science! In a message dated 08/05/2007 01:17:50 GMT Standard Time, nectarbliss@bluebottle.com writes: My Dear Alastair, a muse for your peruse,

you have the right to refuse
and stop reading
the sun lights and sets
keeping the darkness re -seeding

Genocidal genius of pure geometric measure
Krishna pleasure, lies within each of us as a hidden talent,
owned and controlled
misdirected, re connected
dejected, outlook, saints made from crooks, noble and Gallant!

ransacked diplomats flee this way and that,
Bill gates monopoly mind sets sweep on tap
internet bureaucracy selling power based on
dis-fact
is faction,
translates to dis sat is faction,
what is not Sat
leads to a-sat or
dis-sat
is faction
or split,
asat is dis sat
causing harmonic faction.
Dissatisfaction.

All based on karmic reaction
until we learn the lesson,
school of hard knocks comes as smith and western
dual to the death with duality!
happiness and distress blame and praise cold and heat!

peace out

The good Dr Thelma

ps

cups of hot milk all round and a chapter of Krishna book before bed is advised by Dr Prabhupada, who always knew the best medicines! ; )

I shall curl up with some demon killings now, good night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #631

05/07/2007 10:59 PM

Postscript:-

Dear Yuval,

Earlier on in this Thread, I enquired if you knew, or had met Dr. Judith Bronski, from Haifa University, I am sure that DAMPT might be happy to extend an invitation to deliver an informal seminar on her recent research. I note that there is a vacancy for the 11th of June,(it would have to be informal, an off the cuff Viva Voce Dissertation of her own choosing, perhaps recalling the pig ignorant reception she received, when invited to London, an example of bad manners and academic narrow-mindedness) for the Easter term this year. If you know how to contact her, you mentioned that you gave demonstrations at the Haifa Science Museum, and so I presume the museum have contacts? Very short notice, but worth a try.

If you meet or speak to her, please convey her Nephew's fond regards from Nelson Lancashire. We miss his mum, she was such a wonderful student. another 100% hundred cent-per-cent dedicated mathematician.

(R.I.P. & Bless You Reena.)

Astrophysics Seminars Mondays at 4pm in Meeting Room 14, Pavilion F, Centre for Mathematical Sciences

23 April I. Hannah
(Berkeley University) RHESSI Microflare Statistics

30 April A. Courvoisier
(Leeds University) Mean field electrodynamics and the determination of the alpha effect

14 May T. Toeroek
(MSSL, University College London) A flux rope model for solar eruptions

21 May W. Kley
(Tuebingen University) Evolution of planets in binary stars

4 June T. Horbury
(Imperial College) Wavevector anisotropy of magnetohydrodynamic turbulence

11 June No Seminar

18 June A. Johansen
(MPIA, Heidelberg) Planetesimal formation in turbulent protoplanetary discs http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/afdnld/seminars.html

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #613

05/07/2007 10:27 AM

I can only conclude that I am a hopeless idiot. I waded through dozens of the posts here, and found -- from the point of view of my stupid brain -- mainly incoherant (or at least very cryptic) rambling. Often self-absorbed and anti-semitic (why not sprinkle the N-word around too? why hold back? screw the CR4 posting guideines, right?). I had hoped to find some "wacky science" in this "wacky science" thread, but I guess my IQ is too low to appreciate how the deep thoughts expressed here relate to science. Oh, I know -- I might have missed some really good content since I didn't read all 600+ posts. But in addition to being an imbecile, I am also very lazy. Goodbye.

In reply to #618

05/07/2007 2:15 PM

Jolly Good for you svengali,

The United Nations do exactly the same thing, hide a resolution among 300 + pages of other meaningless resolutions.... good tactic.....keeps the lazy at bay.

Ring them up svengali, and ask for the recent resolution on establishing diplomatic contact with the extra terrestrial visitors to Planet Earth......Yawn....nearly falling asleep.

Not because I find it a crashing bore, quite the contrary, it's rather exciting, but I do wish Rear Admiral David White RN OBE, had not followed Rear Admiral David Bawtree's punishing watch schedule....with only three hours sleep.....yawn!..... come back next year or whenever, and thanks for visiting the thread.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #621

05/07/2007 2:27 PM

Checkingz of zee in boxiss meestrer C. Yuvalz haz copiz tooo.

Night night all

In reply to #623

05/07/2007 2:44 PM

Hi Kris, so it's up the wooden hill to slumber-land for you, who will read you your bedtime storey? When my two were little, they would give me a Fairy Tale book, and demand that I read it cover to cover, even though that might take a couple of hours or more. Then they would have the cheek to ask me to read it all again, but they always nodded of a few pages in. These are fond memories, When I took my Vows, contact with family etc, stops (except in an emergency) You are officially dead, anointing is like receiving last rights. It's no wonder the Roman Catholic Church have trouble finding vocations. Then you have to pray a Hail Mary for everybody in your chosen country. quite a few million, and no cheating. After that, you may call yourself a fully fledged brother. I am not even half way through. I can recommend it to anybody, there are compensations, it is not an endurance test, it's a test of commitment.

The Scientific Process is following instructions, do....repeat...do the experiment and then report the results. It's reporting the results that is the difficult part, why bother? one will only receive contempt and ridicule.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #625

05/08/2007 1:24 AM

it is not an endurance test, it's a test of commitment.

Not a test of resilience , but a test of giving ? How does Job figure in that . Perhaps , thats best left for me to figure as a rhetorical question lest I be called off topic (me ? never!)

Nutkin is a seasonal outfit - my 2nd choice might have provoked angry reaction (though I found the pic funny) from some quarters.

The Scientific Process is following instructions, do....repeat...do the experiment and then report the results. It's reporting the results that is the difficult part, why bother? one will only receive contempt and ridicule.

It's interesting to contrast this with the learning process -repeated mistakes and numerous diversions in and out of the general direction. Putting results together in learning is part of the process itself ,as you find that articulating something you 'knew' in your head reveals gaps in truly understanding the basics. I've found some whopping gaps in my knowledge when explaining things to others , but I had been able to sail forward for years with my mistaken 'knowledge'.

Whether undergoing test (as in the first para copied) or report to peers (second para) the motivation seems to be 'love me , please'. There is something disconcerting in either image (seeking approval).I'd like to think I only needed 'approval' from my own conscience and knowledge , but that is not so . What a strange puzzle we all are.

With that ramble I shall scamper off to see what is occurring elsewhere , as I await the continuation of the current subject (very interesting btw)

In reply to #633

05/08/2007 2:25 AM

Good Morning Kris,

I was feeling a little,....shall we say "down to earth" about the prospects of raising folks consciousness, by a litany of fantastic tales of miracles and suchlike. They tend to come unexpectedly, and are therefor rather difficult to arrange for scientific evaluation. The You-Tube popular video of the News Crew sent out to cover a Crackpot Preacher who claimed he had been told to contact the Broadcasters, because they were about to put on a UFO Fly-past, was too tempting a target for ridicule to miss. The Reporter and Camera Crew arrived on schedule, and set to asking the preacher how he knew there were going to be UFOs and could he summon some for the cameras please, He did just that, UFOs from all over. Cool. everyone enjoyed watching it, and The News Reader said "We had better change our signature tune to the X-Files music"...They were laughing at the egg on their faces.I

I personally think that Richard Dawkins has exactly the right approach to this.

http://richarddawkins.net/ Let's Give his superb website a plug.

Last December he entered a debate on the World Famous "Late Show" from Ireland, but when asked by his opponent in the debate to explain his reasoning for an assertion that life was bound to exist elsewhere in this universe.....did he get a single word in edgeways.....NO!.... Poor Richard was inundated with questions from the floor, carefully orchestrated by the host to PREVENT him presenting his evidence.... and then in the most blatant of media Machiavellian ways, tried to cover up his sinister scam, by announcing to camera, "You are not giving Richard Dawkins a chance to speak" the arrogant cheek of the Host!.... It was the Shows Host that was preventing Richard Dawkins from speaking.

To be fair to the man, he would not want to lose his job. It would be no surprise to most people to learn that broadcasters are under the tightest of controls. The same applies to Newspaper Editors. Not so long ago the Editor of the Daily Mirror was thrown out. The offending photographs passed my desk. They were clearly fakes. and I was on to Fullwood Barracks Preston within the hour with conclusive proof. I let Brian Jewell, who used to be their War Correspondent pass on the sad news, that the Editor would have to clear his desk soon.

Science is science "Wacky" or "Not Wacky".....There are procedures to follow, RIGOUROUSLY! & IMPARTIALLY! .....Richard Dawkins is a perfect candidate for the job. Not much BULL gets past his scrutiny BRAVO!

What the Host of the Late Show would not allow Richard Dawkins to say, has been said many times before by such luminaries as Arthur C. Clarke, Fred Hoyle, Carl Sagan, and others. Now that the United Nations have at last got off their but, had it kicked so hard they can't refuse, we are about to enter into diplomatic relations with our cousins from elsewhere than here. Tough Luck folks that they seem to have Godlike Powers, that's because as the Good Book says "The Blind have been Leading The Blind"

"NOW GET YOURSELVES OUT OF THE DITCH THEY LED YOU INTO, AND WAKE UP! "

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #634

05/08/2007 4:00 AM

I vaguely recall seeing the UFO thing on Tv recently , but didn't pay much attention - do you know of a link ?

I'm sure it was one of your links that showed Dawkins with an American(?) host - the host did the classic palms raised/head turned/I'm not listening to you routine. It's a plain fact that few people change long held beliefs (scientific or religious)- ditches are as deep as people make for themselves. The interview seemed a waste of time , apart from Dawkins showing a greater willingness to discuss.

The Mirror story was ambiguous - are you saying the replacement editor had to clear his desk , or were the fakes known before the incumbent was thrown out.

In reply to #636

05/10/2007 4:10 AM

The Mirror pictures, purported to show soldiers mistreating prisoners in the back of a lorry in Iraq. We needed to use the "Time Machine" to validate the claims.

Go back and look at that "Pentagon" at the "Eye" of Hurricane Isabel 2003.

The Police Force have arrived Big Style Folks! Get used to it. and BEHAVE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI3AHY7sOYg&NR=1

More Wacky Science for folk to ponder, Wait till the frightening stuff arrives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansen%27s_disease

Also check out today's Saint's Day. St. Damien of Molokai, patron saint of HIV, AIDS, Weaponised Leprosy...etc etc. This is a wake up call! Make no mistake about that!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #645

05/10/2007 4:51 AM

Damn it again , iwas catching comment before fixing my media player.

err - can you say that kind of stuuf Alastair ????

In reply to #448

04/30/2007 1:59 AM

Good morning to you too Alastair . I have to be quick here.

Our African ancestor was named after the tune I understand . Makes it surprising we haven't been led to believe we were descended from mongoose/mongooses/mongees/funny furry things

That reminds me : Get a haircut vermin ! We can't see your veneers.

In reply to #448

04/30/2007 5:47 AM

Status report :SNAFU

http://bananabunker.com/

Too funny to miss.

In reply to #463

04/30/2007 5:51 AM

UPDATE: CRITICAL

In reply to #464

04/30/2007 7:41 AM

Now we are talking.

The long gap at side is for a "Pool Cue"

I think we can add a Dedication to Bob, and should be able to use a "Stego-Fractal-Encryption to the "bitmap" on the final edition, to include most of this CR4 thread.

William Gates Lab Cambridge to the rescue. The 12 Days of Christmas, and on a large canvas for the Lab. Sounds Good 2 me. Two R.I.P.s in one.

"Those Saints keep marching in." (just love the BNnAna)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #334
Find in discussion

04/26/2007 7:16 PM

Hi Kris,

This is for our "Host" Yuval,

The young gentleman's Dad, is a very well known Boxer.

I think myself, we are looking at a future "Champ" correction "All Army Champ!"

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #336

04/26/2007 7:38 PM

But......There might be "Strong Competition" Yuval?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #311
Find in discussion

04/26/2007 1:40 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._W._Winterbotham

Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld, had no real options, "Play it by the text book"

In my view that was the correct decision. Winston Churchill faced the same problem. We knew everything, but that advantage could be lost in an instant of panic.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #313

04/26/2007 1:57 AM

Uh, this guy had no real options either, "Play it by the text book" too.

In reply to #314

04/26/2007 2:27 AM

"Many a true word spoken in jest," Thank you vermin We still hold all the millions of meters of steel wire recordings, made by the German State Police. They faced the same situation. Total Surveillance was mandated by National Security. Every single telephone conversation was wire-recorded. The Tragedy, was that there was a bias, in the interpretation of the intelligence so gathered. Only wealthy Businessmen would be likely to afford a telephone. There was a "Economic" War declared by Jews who wished to stop Adolf Hitler's rise to power. It was nearly successful, but the wire-recorder managed to identify the "Ring-Leaders" as the Gentleman you depict, would have called them. Holz-Gaz units, were a vital Strategic necessity, as Germany was cut off from Oil supplies. 500,000 of these 'Producer Gas' units were manufactured to supply power for Civilian Transport. The terrible "Endlausung Wagons" Zyclon B was used for it's proper purpose, to rid detainees of lice etc. But as the war dragged on, and food was scarce for even normal German Citizens.....Well....All it took was a hose pipe from the delivery van. And then The Concentration Camps were nearly all situated on the buffer zone between an advancing Russian Front. Inmates already on close to starvation diet, were just ignored. I Will NOT be posting up THOSE photographs. It's too too sad.

http://litek.ws/k0nsl/detox/Judea2.html

CR4 Admin: site blocked for content reasons

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #303
Find in discussion

04/26/2007 2:15 AM

Thanks for the salutation Alastair - I am now a fully acknowledged (in my own translation - I stess the term is one I have evolved for myself )'motor-mouth' . Alas a new system is being considered by the Admin team of cr4. Gets up reet urly perhaps.

Family cooking is a healthy activity , but I may get jealous if somebody copies my french-fancies. Not to worry - not many people like the garlic flavour ones (and most say they can't be made). Ha , the fools.

I've never looked into all those conspiracy theories about planes -I must have been seriously diverted. I shall do so presently.

The trick is to establish a "PQ" rectangle. one of the four corners of the jpg pixel map, is an adjacent corner of the "pq",

Not sure what kind of pq is sought here . May be because it's a bit early AM and my brain is not ticking yet. I shall have to come back to this (I have a few pressing things to get done within the next hour).

Battenburg ! Is that any relation to barn-cake ? (nein ! nein!)

Larry lambs crowning moment was precisely that - no greater love hath a lamb....

In reply to #315

04/26/2007 2:51 AM

Relax, Kris, a picture tells a thousand words, the 'pixel' at the point of your right...or should that be left?...does it matter?....red horn, will form four rectangles. one of which just might be similar......no need for prime numbers with the small "pq" ...to the BIG Prime-composite rectangle. just try all four. .....ahah!.....If I send a picture by email, that picture will be scrutinised by "SMERSH".... and henchmen will be dispatched to throw razor tipped bowler hats at your modem wire...... so best to devise an Innocent method. Two separate computers download the same picture sent as a spam-mail shot, with a caption like "The Smoking Gun". everybody downloads it. but one of them is ever so slightly different. it's been blitzed with a cosmic ray, or has it? who can tell? not BIG BLUE, because it happens all the time. In fact signals are deliberately corrupted to ensure that every picture is different. Cool..... It's MAD MAGAZINE stuff, Spy-vs-Spy. http://www.leedberg.com/mad/spies/spies.html

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #318

04/26/2007 4:10 AM

There you go , filling my head with all sorts of notions ! keep filling though . I like the thought of scrambled eggs (actually I had Kellogg's fruit and fibre something this morning , which I had been puzzling on for a reason that is not unrelated ). If somebody scrambles my eggs a little bit extra , I might not know . If I add pepper before , I'll still have the same amount of pepper later . This all comes to mind because of another post I made somewhere about counting fish in a pond by adding interlopers to do the job. Thought in progress . I'll be back.

In reply to #318

04/26/2007 5:19 AM

I like http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/g/gary_larson.asp , which came from europium or vermin - not sure which of the rascals. The chees slices are my fave , but I haven't fully explored yet.

In reply to #320

04/26/2007 5:46 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #321

04/26/2007 6:36 AM

I know that feeling !He looks more organized than me - I've been known to scribble thoughts on anything at hand when I get the merest hint of a Eureka moment , small babies and bald men hate me. I need to lock myself in a padded cell without distraction of thought for a while. As long as they place a pencil in my mouth I wont even mind the straight jacket.

Nice link Alastair

In reply to #323

04/26/2007 7:45 AM

Harris is brilliant, A cartoon conveys so much. The glum look on the examiner's face will turn to a broad smile, when he finds the "pearl of great price" among all those theories.

The gemstone may be well concealed, a friend of mine, from way back circa 1973, was a sculptor, he told me about what we now call CVD Diamond, which he learnt was discovered deposited on the bottom of an oxy-acetylene welder's kettle. He even showed me easter eggs, that a welder had made, by electroplating an egg with copper, and allowing it to turn about suspended in mid-air, levitated by a flame/flames. I had the opportunity on my honeymoon in Kenya to test it myself. An irrigation pump had accidentally swallowed a large stone, and required a weld, the break to the crank-shaft was external, electric welding would be the sensible solution, but I just had to know, so I decided to use up a pair of bottles of Oxy-Acetylene, and use a brass braze instead of copper.

My Aunt, Lillemore Carnegie....she went through the roof, she knew my Uncle John had told me I was crazy to repair it that way. Sure enough, the mysterious substance appeared, John called in two ex-Nazi Africa Corps engineers he knew, to examine this strange stuff that eats carborundum grindstones.

"Rommel would have mentioned you in Dispatches" one of them said to me. Both gave me smart salutes in good German fashion. "Yes" added the other, "and The Fuhrer would have decorated you personally".....We had a long discussion about whether it could be some sort of "carbide"....I must say, I did feel very pleased with myself, but was not so keen on their condemnation of all Jews as grubby, greedy, grasping, treacherous filth. (on my mothers side of the family, we are fairly yiddisha, what would you expect of merchant bankers?)

PROOF!....that rare gem. Lillemore, thankfully has forgotten now that I slapped her face in anger, when she came into the workshop to rant and rave at me for extravagant waste of expensive gas....we had plenty of bottles in the stores..... President Kenyatta told his Kanu Secretary Mr. Matano, that he feared nobody on earth, with one exception. Mrs. Carnegie from Ngobit Estate. "She is the Goddess Kali personified" he told him.

"You only hurt the one you love"...goes the song, Memsab Kali,(actually she is sweet) as she was known, had pushed me too far, I was exhausted. about 200 hectares of crops could have been lost. I had been up over 72 hours...without a wink of sleep. you can only overhead irrigate at night. and flood irrigation wrecks the soil.

Moral of Tale......"DO NOT REJECT THE PREPOSTEROUS OUT OF HAND"

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #324

04/26/2007 7:52 AM

Moral of Tale......"DO NOT REJECT THE PREPOSTEROUS OUT OF HAND"

I am running a bit of an argument on perpetual motion about this . My motive is perhaps tangential , but I like lost causes and underdogs. Having felt the whip as well as cracked it , I like to see the issue debated .

In reply to #326

04/26/2007 8:40 AM

Here is a sum for you to do Kris.

we know that a calorie is about four joules, this is back of an envelope stuff,

one cc of water raised by one degree kelvin/Celsius, is one calorie,

one joule per second is a watt.

Professor Brainstorm declares that his amazing zero-point Einstein refrigerator

He enthuses about the vibrations caused by fine tuning compressed refrigerant gas, through a Bernoulli venturi....see animation Java Applett....that initiates sympathetic vibrations in the "casimir" gap.....waffle waffle....."and zo you see zir, I can reduze ze temperature ov ziz river Thames/Votever by one degree, and extract ze energy viz about three percent efficienzy, but i do not expect my prototype vill be better zan one perzent efficient...blah"

You Kris, being a champion of the Underdog, take him at his word and look at the river. it is five hundred meters broad where both of you are standing, and flotsam seems to pass at two meters per second,.... it has recently rained.... you estimate the river is ten meters deep on average.

500 x 2 x 10 x 100 x100 x 100 cc's per second knock off one of those 100's it's only 1% efficient. 500 x 2 = 1000, now just add the zeros and multiply by four.

400,000,000 watts? ach zo? Vot output at 3% efficiency Kris?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #328

04/26/2007 12:02 PM

Thats a cool link (in all ways ).Having a mental block on Thermodynamics I am scratching my head at the nice zum.

At uni long ago it ('it ' being the thing I dislike to even say - t,h,e,r,m,o,d,y,n,a,m,i,.c.s,) was taught as a combined course (obligatory) with Fluid Dynamics. Well , the paper was clearly separated in 2 sections but marked as a whole .So I thought , where do I see the best return on investment - nasty diabolical cycles or tasty dimensional analysis. To cut to the point , big % of 50% = pass & Kris survives exothermic process .

On a jaunt to Scotland I saw a water take off pipe in a stream freeze up. The stream at a nice level point was just clear of ice , but poor old pipe froze up as water accelerated in it.

Professor Brainstorm must conduct a test to convince (uncertain + learning 'it' averse ) Kris. He can post his bona fide test data for me to look at , while I tend to other various under-doggies.

In reply to #318

04/28/2007 11:52 AM

"The Punchline"

From the "Strip"......Happy Friendly Snowman? I think the motto here, could be:-

" The Art of Deception can BACKFIRE " (note the paint pot)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #406

04/28/2007 12:04 PM

" The Art of Deception can BACKFIRE "

It usually does in the long run.

In reply to #406

04/28/2007 12:10 PM

I loved Spy vs Spy.

Did you like Don Martin as well?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #409

04/30/2007 6:09 AM

Don Martin?...... swoon ........... jealousy

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #296
Find in discussion

04/25/2007 11:18 AM

Hi Yuval, His Grace The Duke's Fax No. it used to be his "Dog-n-Bone", but far too many folk got to know it. Also the Lee Enfield with a kick like a mule. Some years ago, I rang and got a Fax "Screech", so assumed the number had changed and rang directory enquireys......May I have His Grace The Duke of Fife's number...blah...."Do you mean "Fifes Bananas Sir"....came the reply.....Eventually the operator cottoned on and found the entry........I heard a gasp........"What's the matter" I enquired....."My monitor screen is still scrolling, sir?....There must be thousands of numbers here, which one do you want sir?"........I responded "The one at the top please".......The operator said "but that will be ex-directory sir"..... "NO IT WON'T" was my reply......"Oh! you are right here it is".

Heavy responsibilities for the Noble and Gentle-man back then. I hope some of them have been lifted. There are some very stupid folk in this crazy world. Folk that imagine they can escape justice and escape discovery. We have news! Grit your teeth, wait and find out.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply Page 3 of 8: « First < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
This discussion was "closed" on 05/16/2007 11:42 PM. No new comments are allowed.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Alastair Carnegie (289); Anonymous Poster (7); AstroNut (14); Blink (23); BrainWave (2); Chris Leonard (3); jack of all trades (7); Kris (209); Mr. Truman Brain (1); RHABE (5); svengali (3); vermin (36); Yuval (114)

Previous in Forum: Ultimate engineering challenge-design a coffee cup..   Next in Forum: Posts going missing again.

Advertisement