Previous in Forum: DIN 513   Next in Forum: Y Factor in Pro-E Sheet Metal
Close
Close
Close
44 comments

Ball Point Pen Type Mechanism

10/02/2011 7:37 PM

Does anyone know what the mechinism used in a retractable ball point pen is called?

"You push the button down, the pen tip extends. Then when you push the button down again, the pen tip retracts."

I need same but bigger version.

Can anyone help?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

Re: Ball Point Pen Type Mechanism

10/02/2011 8:19 PM

I don't know if it has a specific name, but I think generally it could be called a 'ratchet and barrel retraction mechanism'.

Do a web search and see what you get.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 144

10/02/2011 8:46 PM

"spring loaded" afaik.

spring plungers, ball-spring plungers, may be what you're looking for. or maybe spring stop button?

Good Answers: 138
In reply to #2

10/03/2011 9:23 AM

isn't Afaik what that white duck says on TV. You know, the duck that is always near someone with a broken leg.

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #5

10/03/2011 9:48 AM

No, that would be AFLAC

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

In reply to #5

10/03/2011 12:22 PM

It stands for as-far-as-I-know, afaik.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #8

10/04/2011 9:43 PM

r u shur?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

Good Answers: 138

10/02/2011 8:47 PM

You might get help with a call to Customer Service at http://www.mcmaster.com or http://www.mscdirect.com. If you want very many of them I suggest using the proper term for the part at Google and at http://www.globalspec.com .

Bruce

Good Answers: 18

10/03/2011 3:43 AM

Hi J2,

I think it might be called a "latching push button".

Best of luck with your search,

John

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

10/03/2011 10:30 AM

On the big side. Have a look for Heppenstall material handling. They do a similar thing for automatic cane handling systems.

Good Answers: 14

10/03/2011 1:47 PM

Here are some class/subclass definitions in Class 401 from the US Patent Office's Manual of Classification, which may help get you started with nomenclature. I am not clear what you are using this for, and I recommend that you search the Manual of Classification for that use. For pens, I think (guess) you are in subclasses 103 and 109 of class 401:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/classification/shadowFiles/defs401sf.htm?401_103&S&2R&2V#2V

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/classification/shadowFiles/defs401sf.htm?401_109&S&2R&31#31

In reply to #9

10/03/2011 2:21 PM

By using the extending tip, i am hoping to put a break/lock on the spools in my spool box that I designed to retract some cables.

space and distance i am dealing with is 3-8 cm long and 1-2cm in diameter. .....and of course the break/lock will be on when the apparatus is not in use & rotating.

Altough there are many ways to do that, push on/off button for locking seemed attractive and less hassles....if i cant find it [which it seems to be the case so far]...then the next best thing would be for me to design push and twist knob for extension and untwist for retraction.

Register to Reply
Power-User
New Zealand - Member - Member Australia - Member - Member

Good Answers: 43
In reply to #10

10/03/2011 11:38 PM

Does it need to have its own self-latching device or could you use on of these where it locks on your shaft end under spring load and freewheels when depressed.

It may need to be beefed up from the model which picks up 3mm screws and things but would the mechanism suit the need ?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

10/03/2011 3:12 PM

Would something like this work? With maybe a longer threaded piece for the lock?

$8 from 3 stores Grizzly G1772 Clamp Down Type Quick Release Toggle Clamp - 3 x 3 You +1'd this publicly. Undo Grizzly G1772 Clamp Down Type Quick Release Toggle Clamp - 3 x 3 : These quick-action toggle clamps are extremely useful for bench-mounted jigs ...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

10/03/2011 6:00 PM

I want this! Never seen it before, thanks.

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #12

10/03/2011 6:04 PM

Be forewarned! You will smash your thumb when you first try to release it when it's tight. I have, more than once. The clampming part folds back all the way to the handle, firmly trapping your thumb.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #13

10/03/2011 6:17 PM

I much appreciate that warning! Similar things have been known to happen. Makes you happy to know that, scientifically speaking, swearing relieves pain (thank $#@%!).

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #12

10/06/2011 6:52 AM

LOL!! We have some here, on jigs and rigs...good for location locking. I inherited one on a rig which is used to depress a trolley mounted foot pedal. (No, I don't know the logic!)

In reply to #37

10/06/2011 6:18 PM

In my opinion you can never have too many clamps. A well designed clamp is a thing of beauty.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #11

10/04/2011 5:58 PM

these are also known as over center clamps

there's also a version that pulls that is real handy

I have 1/2 a mind to announce this to everyone who posted to this thread via PM

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #31

10/06/2011 6:54 AM

We are well aware you have 1/2 a mind.

[You asked for that one ;o)]

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #38

10/06/2011 8:20 AM
Guru

10/03/2011 10:24 PM

It's a retractable ball point pen mechanism.

Same as a light dimmer switch.

Same as the button on my car radio that locks in the channel.

Same as the button that turns my toaster on...

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119

10/03/2011 10:40 PM

They call it a retraction mechanism, and there are quite a few of them

lots of pictures

Good Answers: 19

10/03/2011 10:57 PM

The mechanism used in a retractable ball-point pen is called an "Alternate Push Rocking Latch Mechanism for Ball Point Pen."

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2930354.html

The old floor-mounted dimmer switch was called a "push-push latching switch".

The word, "latch" should probably occur somewhere in your description.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #17

10/03/2011 11:01 PM

they are also called "alternate action" mechanisms

Alternate action

10/03/2011 11:12 PM

you need the mechanism made famous by PARKER pen makers . . . as you make the first push, a quarter turn rotation takes place to slide the cam and lock it till you push again and unlock it to release and retract over the next quarter turn . . .

the same mechanism is also used in most brands of push-push on-off switch buttons for starting and stopping of appliances electrically . . . TEKNIC is one of the brands that is very popular and it works very well . . .

. . . for some useless trivia you may also see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jotter . . .

Register to Reply

In reply to #19

10/03/2011 11:50 PM

Thanks Soebfatahi,...thanks guys, I am still searching,....I have called McMasters, Mscdirect,....Globalspec...and few others, they all understood what i am looking for but they dont have it,......does anyone know who makes them or sales them? [of course not including pen manufacturers]

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #21

10/04/2011 12:15 AM

i am not sure whether CR4 will approve my pasting a name and address . . . i know that this company makes standard products and also tailors specific custom built products for specific needs of customers . . . sorry if this reads like an advertisement - but i guess you are looking for a solution provider . . . DISCLAIMER - whereas i know the company and have used their services satisfactorily, i have no commercial interest whatsoever in sharing their name . . .

Mr. Dharmesh

STEEL - SMITH
Plot No.12, Sector 2,
Vasai Taluka Industrial Co-op Estate Ltd.,
Village Gauraipada, Vasai (E),
Thane - 401 208.

CR4 Admin - phone numbers and email addresses removed

From the CR4 Rules: Do not post phone numbers or email addresses. The CR4 Admin will delete all phone numbers and email addresses posted in threads or comments. You can share this information via the CR4 internal messaging system.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

10/04/2011 5:44 AM

You almost said it yourself, they are also called push on/push off mechanisms

cnc

Register to Reply
Power-User

10/04/2011 6:21 AM

Hi again j2,

Looking more closely at a ball point pen operation the function doesn't look suitable as a clamping device. The pen fully extends and then drops back to lock and to retract it fully extends again before it retracts so it might not be the operation you seek.

I was thinking that a shaft going through a washer with a spring holding the washer at an angle. Pushing the rod will slide through the washer but stopping pushing the shaft will lock. Lifting the washer square with the shaft and it will release the shaft and it can be pulled back.

I know what I mean but have doubts about my description being clear. If you chjeck out the SMC Pneumatics web site look at the locking head cylinders information. There are 2 types one is a collet gripping the rod but the other type has the "canted washer principle" and it will all become clear.

Best regards,

John

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #24

10/04/2011 6:40 AM

I believe this is the same as a skeleton gun mechanism.-the guns used by 'skilled tradesmen' to bodge mastic around the massive gaps their skill has left

cnc

http://images.toolbank.com/images/full/FAIMG.jpg

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #25

10/04/2011 7:25 AM

It is called a (spring actuated) compressive latch and release mechanism.

In reply to #25

10/04/2011 10:33 AM

Hi cnc Jim,

Exactly, I forgot about the humble Mastic Gun. It should work just fine.

John

In reply to #24

10/06/2011 6:59 AM

It is still further out in the "on" position that in the "off". So it could be used for the spool lock mechanism, as long as the final extension is long/strong enough to prevent rotation, this is set by the depth of the return rebates on the "drive drum", and the holes into which the rods extend are deep enough to take the full range of motion.

Good Answers: 2

10/04/2011 10:30 AM

Try this site for compression latches http://www.southco.com/product/default.aspx?hid=7315 these may get you on the right road.

Register to Reply
Guru

10/04/2011 1:03 PM

A larger version of the same thing is a common cabinet latch........sometimes referred to as a magnetic release latch.

In reply to #29

10/05/2011 8:18 PM

Thanks Duckinthepond, i know about the cabinet latch you are talking about, I bought one last week, same concept as ballpoint pen mecanism, in fact same mecanism, except this one is designed to extend upwards rather then from the buttom. so unfortunatly it is not going to work.

Anyway,....i dont beleive anybody manufactures this type of mecanism except the plastic pen manufacturers,.....so I decided to design a spring loaded push in T knob with twist to lock in place, and twist back to release and retract.

And yes Jesw55 you are right about "The pen fully extends and then drops back to lock" ,..i had taken that into condediration when designing the size of the locking male teeth which would accept full extension before drop back and still remain locked on the receiving female teeth situated on spool shaft.

And LYN thanks for the photo and suggestion but this item is too big and rough looking for the small and delicate spool box in question.

Its all good,...thanks to all of you.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

10/05/2011 9:30 PM

It would be interesting to know what you intend to apply this mechanism to.

The crowd here is anything butt when it comes to nosy, but, having said that, free advice with a lot of moxy is generally given. especially when they get their 02 cylinders recharged..............

In reply to #33

10/05/2011 10:34 PM

if it is not too much trouble and if it is not a business secret . . . please share a picture or a drawing of what you finally do . . . we love to learn . . .

Register to Reply
Power-User

10/04/2011 4:45 PM

Did you try flip-flop mechamisms?

Register to Reply

In reply to #30

10/05/2011 10:53 PM

Ferquiza, i tried but no luck,...have you seen a flip-flop mecanism that is 3-10 cm long and that when pressed it extends like the ballpoint pen does for 8-12mm,....? if "yes" ..let us know where.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 3

10/06/2011 9:42 AM

Believe the basic mechanism is a pawl and ratchet - the spring simply resets the push button (pawl) for another stroke. If spring is gone, you can manually pull button out and push it down again, would work to move the ratchet around to next notch in the 'wheel'. The ratchet is set to alternate the total length of the ink tube with a simple plastic end cap mated to the ratchet.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

10/06/2011 10:53 AM

I've always called it a "thing-a-ma-jig".

Good Answers: 69

10/08/2011 2:40 PM

It's called mechanical toggle or toggle push button.

Regards

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

129CBRider (1); Anonymous Poster (1); artsmith (5); aurizon (2); AussieBob (1); BruceFlorida (2); bubbapebi (1); cnc jim (2); Duckinthepond (3); English Rose (3); ferquiza (1); Garthh (2); J2 (4); JBTardis (1); jesw55 (3); joltinjoe (1); lyn (2); philroth2252 (1); ronseto (1); soebfatehi (3); TonyS (1); Usbport (1); wilmot (1); Yahlasit (1)

Previous in Forum: DIN 513   Next in Forum: Y Factor in Pro-E Sheet Metal

Advertisement